Which RIDGE are you drinking?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » June 19th, 2016, 7:30 am

Is it possible this iconic winery doesn't have one of these threads here at Wineberserkers? Too many great wines the issue? We hate a single thread with notes about Cabs, blends, Zins, PS & Chardonnays?

In an effort to rectify this on Father's Day I present a wine I bought before moving from Florida, last of a 6-pack I think. This showed as well as any Lytton Springs I have ever had. Just perfect last night with beef ribs and the last glass was the best. From Zalto Bordeaux stems after 2-3 hours aeration the 1996 just strutted its stuff. 19% PS, since the label doesn't show that well
image.jpeg
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2 Post by CJ Beazley » June 19th, 2016, 7:43 am

On vacation, purchased at Von's, served with prime strips, very nice and an excellent value at $24.00
Attachments
image.jpeg
It's C(raig)

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Rich Brown » June 19th, 2016, 7:55 am

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:Is it possible this iconic winery doesn't have one of these threads here at Wineberserkers? Too many great wines the issue? We hate a single thread with notes about Cabs, blends, Zins, PS & Chardonnays?

In an effort to rectify this on Father's Day I present a wine I bought before moving from Florida, last of a 6-pack I think. This showed as well as any Lytton Springs I have ever had. Just perfect last night with beef ribs and the last glass was the best. From Zalto Bordeaux stems after 2-3 hours aeration the 1996 just strutted its stuff. 19% PS, since the label doesn't show that well
image.jpeg
Man, I love all of your posts that include pics of the crazy good looking BBQ that you grill up Glenn, but I like them even more when they include a kick-ass note on an aged Lytton Springs!

Great stuff all around and an awesome idea for a thread. Might have to call an audible today and pop a Ridge!!

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » June 19th, 2016, 8:02 am

I was going to title the thread Which Twenty Year Old Ridge are you drinking but didn't want to be accused of ageism, or only liking twenty-somethings.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

K. Steward

#5 Post by K. Steward » June 20th, 2016, 2:12 pm

Unfortunately, no 20+ year old bottles in my young cellar, but my wife and I enjoyed a 2009 Pagani Ranch with tri-tip on Saturday. First time with a Ridge bottling from this vineyard and liked the big, ripe fruit, but still prefer Geyserville and Lytton Springs.
Kr1s

Larry P
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Larry P » June 20th, 2016, 2:16 pm

We popped a '14 Hooker Creek Zin last night, only because I have several and it was near the top of the pile. Good and fairly approachable for a young Ridge. I often find the American oak overpowering on young Ridges, but it wasn't so bad here. Somewhat tannic and astringent. Needs time. Lots of stuffing though. I'll revisit in 2034 ;)
P ! g g ! n s

"You keep me searching for a heart of gold" - Neil Young
"Metal heart, you're not worth a thing" - Cat Power

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Warren Taranow » June 20th, 2016, 2:22 pm

So starts a 100 year thread
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

JLee

#8 Post by JLee » June 20th, 2016, 3:05 pm

Just had 96 Monte Bello. Excellent, but I think better in 5+ years.
J a m e s

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Chris Seiber » June 20th, 2016, 3:13 pm

Just my personal two cents' worth, but I think creating new threads for new TNs gets the word out better than lumping all the Carlisle or Bedrock or Ridge TNs into a single, long thread. I like all those wineries, and yet I rarely ever click on those threads. On the other hand, if you posted a TN on a 1996 Lytton Springs, I'd read it for certain.

Again, that's just my perspective on it, others probably feel differently.

Robert Pavlovich

#10 Post by Robert Pavlovich » June 20th, 2016, 3:57 pm

Chris Seiber wrote:Just my personal two cents' worth, but I think creating new threads for new TNs gets the word out better than lumping all the Carlisle or Bedrock or Ridge TNs into a single, long thread. I like all those wineries, and yet I rarely ever click on those threads. On the other hand, if you posted a TN on a 1996 Lytton Springs, I'd read it for certain.

You are just speaking the truth Chris, though most folks do not post single TN's so a thread like this comes in handy for another set of folks.

TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

Ridge Rhones...

#11 Post by TomHill » June 20th, 2016, 4:03 pm

Just finished a terrific tasting of RidgeRhones up on MBRidge from their library. TN's to follow in a few hrs.
Tom

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#12 Post by Todd F r e n c h » June 20th, 2016, 4:11 pm

I don't have any notes to post today but I will be checking in on this thread a lot in the coming months and years as I am buying a lot of Ridge lately
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Scott Butler

#13 Post by Scott Butler » June 20th, 2016, 4:16 pm

Saturday we had the 2013 Paso Zinfandel, it was excellent considering how young it was.
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

Scott Butler

#14 Post by Scott Butler » June 20th, 2016, 4:18 pm

Geyserville I have a 2012, 2009, and a 1994 with 2 more 94's on the way
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » June 20th, 2016, 4:20 pm

Chris Seiber wrote:Just my personal two cents' worth, but I think creating new threads for new TNs gets the word out better than lumping all the Carlisle or Bedrock or Ridge TNs into a single, long thread. I like all those wineries, and yet I rarely ever click on those threads. On the other hand, if you posted a TN on a 1996 Lytton Springs, I'd read it for certain.
I agree with you but in the spirit of WB I just felt badly for Ridge getting left out here.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » June 20th, 2016, 4:32 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:I don't have any notes to post today but I will be checking in on this thread a lot in the coming months and years as I am buying a lot of Ridge lately
Ha, me too, and last night got note from b21 that conditioned van service is broken until mid-July! Had lots of 2013s and 2014s, coming on Tuesday. Had.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Ed Steinway
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Ed Steinway » June 20th, 2016, 8:23 pm

We opened a 2009 Geyserville last night with dinner. Love the 2009 Ridge's. This went really well with burgers and portobello mushrooms on the grill. This one has years of life left, and is definitely one to backfill if you can find them.

Thanks,
Ed

M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by M. Dildine » June 20th, 2016, 8:28 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:I don't have any notes to post today but I will be checking in on this thread a lot in the coming months and years as I am buying a lot of Ridge lately
I think buying a lot of Ridge is one of the wine world's most sensible activities!

I just bought a couple of mags to pour at my son's rehearsal dinner.
Cheers,

Mike

Larry Stein

#19 Post by Larry Stein » June 20th, 2016, 9:58 pm

I tasted '63-66, NV ('66/71 blend), '74 and ' 68 Montebello (from a 6 liter bottle) 11 days ago. '68 Ruby Cabernet, too.

Does that count? [wow.gif]

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Craig G » June 20th, 2016, 10:01 pm

Robert Pavlovich wrote:

You are just speaking the truth Chris
I just want to remind everyone again that Chris works for the Devil.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Drew Goin

#21 Post by Drew Goin » June 20th, 2016, 10:22 pm

Larry Stein wrote:I tasted '63-66, NV ('66/71 blend), '74 and ' 68 Montebello (from a 6 liter bottle) 11 days ago. '68 Ruby Cabernet, too.

Pray tell, how was a Ruby Cabernet from Ridge?

Larry Stein

#22 Post by Larry Stein » June 21st, 2016, 5:50 am

It was very good. Medium bodied, lighter color than the Montebellos. It had a fresher, fruitier component (red fruit vs black for Montebellos). It wasn't nearly as complex. I'd certainly be happy to taste it again!

Tim Thomas

#23 Post by Tim Thomas » June 21st, 2016, 8:04 am

Visiting 2 sons in Houston over the weekend we had dinner at Killen's Steakhouse. Had a bottle of 2013 Geyserville to start and it was just great. I tried one of these when it first got to my retailer in TN last year I think. I remember thinking "Whoa, this is really spectacular" so I went back and bought the rest of the case he had. Glad I did.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#24 Post by Todd F r e n c h » June 21st, 2016, 11:14 am

M. Dildine wrote:
I think buying a lot of Ridge is one of the wine world's most sensible activities!

Congrats!!!!
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Pat Martin

#25 Post by Pat Martin » June 21st, 2016, 11:21 am

Anyone tried the 2014 Geyserville? I love the 2013 but TomH said the 2014 is better, I recall.
P@ tr!ck M 8rt!n

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Wes Barton » June 21st, 2016, 2:20 pm

Pat Martin wrote:Anyone tried the 2014 Geyserville? I love the 2013 but TomH said the 2014 is better, I recall.
Yes, it's spectacular. More structured and complex than any young Geezer I've had. Seems like one for the ages. But... the fruit is in balance, so for my tastes it's drinkable now, when I find many baby Geezers undrinkably over-the-top fruit-wise, needing years to tone down into something of beauty. (Still, I won't drink any of my own bottles young.)
ITB - Useless lackey

"I've acquired enough wine to seduce an elephant." - Jennifer Robin

Jerry Hey

#27 Post by Jerry Hey » June 21st, 2016, 3:07 pm

2007 Geyserville.

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Wes Barton » June 21st, 2016, 3:53 pm

Drew Goin wrote:
Larry Stein wrote:I tasted '63-66, NV ('66/71 blend), '74 and ' 68 Montebello (from a 6 liter bottle) 11 days ago. '68 Ruby Cabernet, too.

Pray tell, how was a Ruby Cabernet from Ridge?
Larry Stein wrote:It was very good. Medium bodied, lighter color than the Montebellos. It had a fresher, fruitier component (red fruit vs black for Montebellos). It wasn't nearly as complex. I'd certainly be happy to taste it again!
Agree with Larry's note. That was actually the third time I've had the '68 Monte Bello Ruby Cab, and the least impressive showing. Never had any of theirs young, since the last vintage was '84, iirc. From what I've had, maybe 2 out of 3 vintages had a weird pasty quality along with the red fruit. Several years ago we did a blind flight with 6 vintages plus ringers of the regular and alternative* bottlings of '76 Monte Bello. The '76 Ruby Cab was just a tick behind the other two '76s. (*this had 15% Merlot, being the first non-100% CS MB.)
ITB - Useless lackey

"I've acquired enough wine to seduce an elephant." - Jennifer Robin

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by George Chadwick » June 21st, 2016, 4:08 pm

Chris you're probably right about READING the threads, but threads like these make people POST on wines they otherwise might not. I don't see myself starting a new thread on some Ridge zin I had, but I might add that TN to this thread. You can't read what isn't posted.

Hooker Creek 2014 last night the oakiest of five wines (the others an Aussie cab, an Aussie shiraz, a Calif pinot, and a Carlisle) but also the youngest by far so it will settle down.

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by George Chadwick » June 21st, 2016, 4:08 pm

Robert Pavlovich wrote:

You are just speaking the truth Chris, though most folks do not post single TN's so a thread like this comes in handy for another set of folks.
You wrote what I wrote before I wrote it. Plagiarizer.

James Wright

#31 Post by James Wright » June 21st, 2016, 4:13 pm

oh when I was working in the biz I took two salespeople from the co. and two customers to Germany, where I know my way around fairly well. Last night of the trip was in the Pfalz, in a nice little hotel/restaurant in Siebeldingen... best wine of the night was Ridge Geyserville 1994 for 28€ on the list...
It hovered weightlessly between Bordeaux and Veneto for the twenty minutes it survived on the table.
~ Verteidiger der Wahrheit ~

Ian Alper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Ian Alper » June 21st, 2016, 6:14 pm

Agree with Wes and Tom on the Geyserville- I thought the 13 was great but recently opened a 14 and liked it even more. Better balance and deeper flavors.

James Wright

#33 Post by James Wright » June 21st, 2016, 7:28 pm

favourite Geyserville was ’73; other greats were ‘91 and ‘85...
~ Verteidiger der Wahrheit ~

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » June 21st, 2016, 7:31 pm

90 Geyser was CA WOTV.

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Rich Brown » June 21st, 2016, 7:45 pm

Had a 91 Lytton Springs a few months back that was fantastic.

Have a 90 in storage that I might have to snag soon thanks to this thread :)

M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by M. Dildine » June 22nd, 2016, 12:35 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
M. Dildine wrote:

Congrats!!!!
Thanks Todd!
Cheers,

Mike

David H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by David H. » June 22nd, 2016, 12:44 pm

This past April I had a 1978 Ridge Coast Range Zinfandel. This is in my top 5 zinfandels drunk to date. I still clearly remember this bottle, it was extremely fresh and had loads of spice and zip on the palate. A bargain at around $125 at the place that shall not be mentioned.
H @ y c º c k

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Nate Simon » June 22nd, 2016, 1:45 pm

2013 East Bench. Nice, varietally spot-on, good QPR.

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Chris Seiber » June 22nd, 2016, 2:20 pm

George Chadwick wrote:

Chris you're probably right about READING the threads, but threads like these make people POST on wines they otherwise might not. I don't see myself starting a new thread on some Ridge zin I had, but I might add that TN to this thread. You can't read what isn't posted.
It's a good point. I can see how it's kind of easier and "safer" to post a quick impression of something in a thread like this, when you wouldn't have started a new thread about it.

Thanks for the explanation.

TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

It Lives????

#40 Post by TomHill » June 23rd, 2016, 7:45 am

David H. wrote:This past April I had a 1978 Ridge Coast Range Zinfandel. This is in my top 5 zinfandels drunk to date. I still clearly remember this bottle, it was extremely fresh and had loads of spice and zip on the palate. A bargain at around $125 at the place that shall not be mentioned.
This wine still lives?? Absolutely amazing.

The CoastRange series was the leftover stuff Ridge bttld & moved out the door for a song during the '70's. They were rather
light & pleasant enough for what they were. I once rented a U-Haul and brought down from LiquorMart/Boulder some
60 cases of Ridge CoastRange Zin '73 for my group. We got it at $2.79/btl, when normal price was arounf $5/btl.
They even, once, made a CoastRange PinotNoir.
Tom

P L owet
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by P L owet » June 28th, 2016, 1:42 pm

Ed Steinway wrote:We opened a 2009 Geyserville last night with dinner. Love the 2009 Ridge's. This went really well with burgers and portobello mushrooms on the grill. This one has years of life left, and is definitely one to backfill if you can find them.

Thanks,
Ed
The 2009 Geyserville we opened last week showed lots of fruit, but was still a bit disjointed IMO. (Though like most Ridge wines, better with food than tasted on its own.) Good potential -- I think I like this more than the nice 2007.
Regards,
Peter
Peter L owet

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by George Chadwick » June 28th, 2016, 2:47 pm

Paul Draper announced his retirement.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#43 Post by Todd F r e n c h » June 28th, 2016, 3:55 pm

George Chadwick wrote:Paul Draper announced his retirement.
http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/vie ... 1&t=129768

(sorry, Ken V - doing your job for you)

Pat Martin

#44 Post by Pat Martin » June 28th, 2016, 6:46 pm

I really liked the 07 Geyserville on release, but never as much in subsequent years when it seemed a little diffuse for a Geezer. It is an unusual cepage in 07 (only 58% Zinfandel, with 22% Carignane, 18% Petite Sirah and 2% mataro), so that could complicate things.

Anyone had it of late? Is it coming around?
P@ tr!ck M 8rt!n

Rich Salsano
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Rich Salsano » June 28th, 2016, 7:12 pm

2011 Ridge Zinfandel Buchignani Ranch

Very smooth and drinking well at the moment. Sweet and sour fruit and American oak with good acidity and balance. I dig it.
Richard Salsano

G. Bienstock

#46 Post by G. Bienstock » June 29th, 2016, 7:35 am

Steve Timko opened an 84 Geyserville last night. An interesting contrast to a 95 Barolo.
Glenn

Positive Rastaman Vibration

ITB 1999-2005

Mark C Johnson

#47 Post by Mark C Johnson » June 29th, 2016, 12:46 pm

Opened a 2006 York Creek Zin last night. 99% Zin, 1% PS per label. At first wiff a whole lotta Draper Perfume, which blew off after about 20 minutes. Really enjoyable berry flavors, light bramble just a really enjoyable drink. My wife made the comment that she really liked it, twice!
Memes & Tropes

MitchTallan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by MitchTallan » June 30th, 2016, 6:04 am

Pat Martin wrote:Anyone tried the 2014 Geyserville? I love the 2013 but TomH said the 2014 is better, I recall.
Had the '14 last night at dinner at Lola (Cleveland). Tom Hill and Wes Barton are right-this is the best Geezer I recall in quite some time. It transcends the grape varieties it's made from. I suppose one could say that's a deficit and not a good thing, but that would be wrong-headed; it's just coiled tight and needs time to unfold, but right now the wine is still both beautiful and immensely enjoyable. Silk entry, fine graphite and blackberry, and then a gossamer finish. Impeccable balance from start to finish, whatever oak is present is not detectable. My only demerit would be the fairly tight nose, which is bound to open up one day. My wife asked if this cost more than $200 and I understood why; it drinks like a wine that costs that much. A year ago when the '13 came out I was bowled over by it's expressive mid-palate but the '13 is a bit coarse, brash, and un-refined compared to this. Need I say more?

Drew Goin

#49 Post by Drew Goin » June 30th, 2016, 8:05 am

MitchTallan wrote:
My wife asked if this cost more than $200 and I understood why; it drinks like a wine that costs that much...
Need I say more?
Wow!!!

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » June 30th, 2016, 8:48 am

Nice to hear, Mitch. I loved the 12 and 13 as well. My 14s come in on Tuesday.

Popped the 2009 Lytton Springs last night. This is the vintage that got too sweet for me, stopped buying after 2012. Just buying Geyserviile and the Cab these days, which are the two wines that got me hooked on Ridge anyway.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Return to “Wine Talk”