Your worst wine deal

other than corked wines which we have all had, what’s your worst deal? For me, a lover of white Burgundy, I fell head over heels early on for 1996 white Burgundy–in the days before premox was publicized or well known. I bought about 60 cases of mostly grand cru white Burgs. While I have had near epiphany wines from that year (96 Ramonet Montrachet), I have had many premoxed undrinkable wines (96 Ramonet Montrachet). A horribly expensive mistake. Your worst deal?

I don’t suppose I can say anything other than all the wine I bought but never got from PC. Wasn’t a huge amount, but still

Not a terrible deal, but in my early days of my hobby/collection circa 2002-2004, I bought way too much Australian wines as was fashionable to do with reasonable prices and high scores. Didn’t cost me a ton of money, but I do recall killing several weekends driving all over town in an attempt to buy all the 2004 Thorne - Clarke Shiraz I could find!

1999 Vincent Dancer 18 bottles of high end wines almost all p-moxed.

One bottle of Chateau Simard.

Do you still have any of your Australians?

Because many of them are likely to be drinking very, very well by now…

Obviously the premier cru debacle is my worst, by far.

Other than that, I’m fairly happy with the cellar. I find I’m not getting as much pleasure from chateauneuf as I thought I would.

The 20 or so cases I bought my very first time barrel tasting in Sonoma. I was wide eyed and intoxicated by the surroundings (among other things…).

Way more wine than I could reasonably drink within a couple years and of course over that time my palate shifted quite a bit. A bad wine deal and a not-inexpensive education.

There are a few cases from Garagiste that I consider my bad. Mike

Ignoring “spoilt” wines like corked or premoxed, probably Chapoutier’s top Northern Rhone wines in the mid-late 90s - in hindsight, ridiculous peak prices at that time for stuff that I now like far less than Chave and Jamet.

Alcina Cellars under rubber.

relax, it was a half bottle.

flirtysmile

2004 Levy & McClellan, among others, got caught up in the Napa Cult Cab bullshit when I should have been buying Burgundy. SMH.

A ton of 1977 Dows VP and almost a case of 1983 Cockburn VP. Most were corked :frowning:

The post 2000 Quilceda Creeks that I bought, but can’t stand.

Or

My failure to buy more Roumier and Rousseau back when the prices were still in the realm of reality (at least for me).

I lost some money when Premier Cru went belly up but only a few hundred dollars; I regret a few of the bottles I won’t be getting but all in all I came out way ahead with them.

I’m a buying minnow compared to Alan the White Burgundy Whale, but I have had a lot of premoxed bottles from '95 and on.

Grand Puy Lacoste 1996 magnums : 5 out of 6 magnums corked !

Alcina.

I wonder what has happened to all those Aussie ooze-monsters which our crowd
was buying in the early 2000’s. They seem not to appear often at wine auctions.

Levy & McClellan - bought into the inaugural hype and lovely direct mail piece.