Contra Costa County Wine Heritage

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Drew Goin

Re: Contra Costa County Wine Heritage

#201 Post by Drew Goin » September 1st, 2018, 5:08 am

In case it already is not apparent, the 2018 harvest in eastern Contra Costa County, California, has begun!

In a recent email from the California Wine Broker, Mr Mike (with his "enforcer", a dog named Gentleman Jake) stated that red grapes are ready to be harvested, as he has notified his email list of "Wineo's" of the second and third picks for the season.

From the email:

"...We are going to have the 2nd pick on Saturday, September 1st, and the 3rd pick on Sunday, September 2nd.

"Both picks will be held in Oakley, Ca, but NOT at the same vineyard.

"The 2nd pick will be held on Saturday, Sept.1st, at a vineyard that we have picked before. These Oakley Zinfandel grapes are mature grapes that have produced many award-winning wines.

"The 3rd pick will be held on Sunday, Sept 2nd, at a vineyard that we have never picked before. There will be two grape varietals on this pick; Zinfandel and Carmine. These grapes are authentic OLD VINE Oakley Zinfandel and Carmine grapes.

"Some of the Zinfandel vines on the Sunday pick are said to be around 150-years-old.

"I've been making and drinking zinfandel from old vine grapes for more than 20 years. I have had a bottle of zin made from the Old Vine vineyard we are picking on Sunday. I can honestly tell you that the wine was the best zin I have ever had.

"The other varietal on this pick is 'Carmine'. This varietal is a clone created at Davis from Cabernet Sauvignon, Carignane, and Merlot.

"I had never heard of this grape before two weeks ago. I had a bottle of this wine from the vineyard we are picking on Sunday. It was very rich, deep, bold, black wine with an extraordinary fruit finish.

"A truly exceptional wine.

"...This may be your only opportunity this year, or ever, to get winegrapes of this quality. So, show up... ready to pick grapes."

On the California Wine Broker website, the following grape varieties are planned to be available over the course of this year's harvest:

Brentwood area:

Alicante-Bouschet, Barbera, Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Malbec, Mourvèdre, Petite Sirah, Syrah ("Chicken Coop Syrah"*; "Gold Medal"), Tinta Cao, Zinfandel

Oakley area:

Carignane (Old Vine), Mataro/Mourvèdre (Old Vine; "Double Gold"), Zinfandel (Old Vine, around 1890-1900's vintage), Zinfandel (Oakley, 14-year-old vines; "Double Gold in 2011"), Chardonnay, Malvasia Bianco, Merlot, Muscato, Rousanne, Marsanne, Zinfandel, Malbec, Grenache, Barbera, Cabernet Franc, Touriga National, Tinta Cao, Tinta Roriz, Souzao, Valdepenas, Primitivo

I have included all of this information because, to my thinking, the use by vineyard owners of a broker guarantees that all fruit is purchased year after year.

I do not know how long the lease on life is for CoCo's at-risk vineyards. The California Wine Broker's website states that 100 tons of fruit were sold via his services in 2017. Given the vagaries of larger commercial grape sales, property holders (hopefully) are able to find a little peace of mind in keeping their vines in the ground due to access to grape brokers representing home winemakers and small wine producers.

California Wine Broker website: http://www.calwinebroker.com
info@calwinebroker.com

* I am scratching my head over what a "Chicken Coop Syrah" is - perhaps the phrase is a reference to a geographic marker for the vineyard's location??? [scratch.gif]

Drew Goin

#202 Post by Drew Goin » September 1st, 2018, 6:29 am

Continuing with the topic of the 2018 vintage in Contra Costa County...

Romick in Oakley
"The Grape Harvest Has Started in Oakley"
by Kevin Romick
August 22, 2018

"...Typically the harvest starts around Labor Day in Oakley, however; the hot summer has pushed the start of the harvest ahead a few weeks. Growers and winemakers are checking sugar content daily to determine which vineyard will be picked next.

2016-new-273.jpg
Harvested Grapes in Oakley - from "Romick in Oakley"

"...The harvest will continue through the first of October so be wary of slow moving farmequipment on the roads. Oakley’s vineyards are dispersed throughout the community making the movement of vehicles including tractors, forklifts and trucks essential to a timely harvest and this means your friendly farmers will be sharing the road with you more frequently as they drive their 'implements of husbandry'...."

img_e3513.jpg
2018 Oakley Vines - from "Romick in Oakley"

Drew Goin

#203 Post by Drew Goin » September 2nd, 2018, 7:45 pm

Two new vid-jos of the "Evangelho Vineyard" from Mr Hardy Wallace of Dirty & Rowdy Family Wines:

Dirty & Rowdy Family Wines website: https://www.dirtyandrowdy.com

Drew Goin

#204 Post by Drew Goin » September 2nd, 2018, 7:47 pm

Okay, one more new video of the "Evangelho Vineyard" from Dirty & Rowdy:

FB_IMG_1536033809393.jpg
Evangelho Vineyard Mataro - Facebook image post by Hardy Wallace

Drew Goin

#205 Post by Drew Goin » September 3rd, 2018, 11:59 pm

Mr Kevin Romick, City Councilman and former mayor of Oakley, CA, posted the following on Facebook today:

FB_IMG_1536034187112.jpg
"Joaquin José Vineyard" - photo from Kevin Romick on Facebook

"This morning's walk took Harrison and I north along Marsh Creek to where it ends and connects with the Big Break trail. Checked out the ancient vineyard, planted in the late 1800’s by Joaquin José. The 14-acre vineyard is the Carignane varietal.

"On the way back we took the city maintained trail that separates the new housing and Dutch Slough Tidal Restoration Project. The Dutch Slough Tidal Marsh Restoration Project is the first major tidal wetlands restoration effort in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta to be implemented by DWR. The project will transform 1,187 acres of land into tidal marsh to provide habitat for salmon and other native fish and wildlife. There is a lot of grading in progress. The walk continued to Sellers Ave where a 55-acre park will be built. The property was recently handed over to the city."

The Carignan vines of the 14-acre "Joaquin Jose, aka Emerson, aka Lucchesi Vineyard" date back to ~1890.

As mentioned in a previous post on this thread, The Press published in April (2018) article by Tony Kukulich on the Dutch Slough project and the protracted battle to leave the vineyard intact:

"...A 14-acre vineyard that has been in use for more than 100 years will be preserved, though the original project plans called for the vines to be removed. Oakley City Councilmember Kevin Romick fought hard to get the plans adjusted to save the vineyard."

Additional Information on the Dutch Slough Debate:

East County Today
"Oakley Works to Save 14-Acre Vineyard State Wants to Remove"
by Staff
January 26, 2014

Romick in Oakley Blog
"Ancient Vines along Marsh Creek"
by Kevin Romick
April 2, 2013

I am happy that a compromise was established in the debate. Saving a unique viticultural site is important, as is ensuring that the Delta's ecosystem is protected from further harm.

To provide one with a glimpse of what this region has been subject to over the past +100 years, Take a look at what the area looked like in ~1900 compared to today...

_20180904_014202.JPG
"1900 Oakley Delta Map" - from Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta Historical Ecology Study
_20180904_014124.JPG
"2018 Oakley Delta Map" - from Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta Historical Ecology Study

The map images were provided by the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta Historical Ecology Study.
Last edited by Drew Goin on October 19th, 2018, 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drew Goin

#206 Post by Drew Goin » September 4th, 2018, 6:53 pm

It looks like Dirty & Rowdy Family Wines has the monopoly on "Evangelho Vineyard" harvest images for the 2018 vintage!

FB_IMG_1536111046832.jpg
"Picking bins positioned at the 'Evangelho Vineyard'" - from Dirty & Rowdy Family Wines Facebook post
FB_IMG_1536111108843.jpg
"Taking Tiger Mountain...er, "Evangelho Vineyard'...by Strategy" - from D&R Facebook post
FB_IMG_1536111120310.jpg
"D&R Leadership Supervising the Morning Pick @ 'Evangelho'" - from D&R Facebook post
FB_IMG_1536111187771.jpg
"Mechanized Troop Support @ 'Evangelho' Pick'" - from D&R Facebook post

Drew Goin

#207 Post by Drew Goin » September 4th, 2018, 7:08 pm

Dirty & Rowdy Old-vine Mataro/Mourvèdre Pick at Antioch's "Evangelho Vineyard" (...continued):

FB_IMG_1536111201324.jpg
"Picking Grapes at 'Evangelho Vineyard'" - from D&R Winery's Facebook post
FB_IMG_1536111239475.jpg
"Hauling Fruit @ the 'Evangelho Vineyard'" - from the Dirty & Rowdy Family Wines Facebook post
FB_IMG_1536111270936.jpg
"Getting by w/ a Little Help from My Friends" - D&R Facebook post
FB_IMG_1536111280266.jpg
"2 Tons of Old-vine 'Evangelho' Mourvèdre" - from Dirty & Rowdy Family Wines Facebook post
FB_IMG_1536111361776.jpg
"2018 'Evangelho Vineyard' Mourvèdre Fruit" - from D&R Facebook post

Dirty & Rowdy Family Wines website: https://www.dirtyandrowdy.com

Drew Goin

#208 Post by Drew Goin » September 4th, 2018, 7:44 pm

In a perfect world, the following information would provide a curious mind an answer to how many bottles of Dirty & Rowdy Family Wines "Evangelho Vineyard" Old Vine Mourvèdre one might anticipate for the 2018 vintage:

"Conversion Factors: From Vineyard to Bottle

"...What we can learn
Pounds of grapes in a bottle of wine

"The number
150 gallons of wine per ton of grapes

"Range
120-180 gallons in normal conditions

"A standard bottle of wine is 750 milliliters (ml), meaning a case of 12 bottles contains 9 liters, or 2.378 gallons. At 150 gallons per ton, a ton of grapes becomes 150/2.378 gallons per case, or a little more than 63 cases of wine. With 12 bottles per case, we have 756 bottles in total...."

IF all 2 tons of "Evangelho Vineyard" Mourvèdre picked and brought to the winery is successfully converted into wine, with zero loss of juice (be it through evaporation, spillage, generous and frequent use of the "wine thief", etc) zero juice passed on to another producer, zero finished wine sold on the bulk market, THEN:

• 2 tons of grapes x ~63 cases of wine = ~126 cases

• ~126 cases of wine x 12 bottles per case =

~1,512 bottles of 2018 Dirty & Rowdy Old-vine "Evangelho Vineyard" Mourvèdre would be available for fellow Wine Berserkers to purchase and gift to Drew Goin. ;)

Equation (and others, tinged with a soupçon of sarcasm, compliments of Chris Gerling) available at:
https://grapesandwine.cals.cornell.edu/ ... rd-bottle/

Drew Goin

#209 Post by Drew Goin » September 4th, 2018, 10:03 pm

Aha!!

Mr Morgan Twain-Peterson, MW, of Bedrock Wine Company (owners of the "Evangelho Vineyard") posted this photo of Carignan in the Antioch-based site:

FB_IMG_1536122047719.jpg
"'Evangelho Vineyard' Carignan - from MTP of Bedrock on Facebook

Matt Wood

#210 Post by Matt Wood » September 9th, 2018, 7:23 pm

Some new photos for you Drew. I got some Carignane, Mataro and Petite Sirah today Old vine in Oakley. Not the best photos, I was trying to go quick, some hot days out there lately.
IMG-0833_.jpg
IMG-0834_.jpg
IMG-0839_.jpg
IMG-0841_.jpg
IMG-0848_.jpg
IMG-0850_.jpg
IMG-0851_.jpg

Drew Goin

#211 Post by Drew Goin » September 9th, 2018, 7:50 pm

Very awesome!!! Thanks for the photos, Matt!

That last pic looks kinda like the "Del Barba/Oakley Road Vineyard".

I hafta ask once more (no offense): didja go through the CA WB? His email for Sunday's pick announced an opportunity to pick:

"OOOOOLD VINE MATARO (Mourvedre)
OOOOOLD VINE CARIGNANE
OOOOOLD VINE PETITE SIRAH
OOOOOLD VINE ZINFANDEL

"...These excellent Oakley, CA grapes have produced double gold best-of-show quality wine in local, State and National Competition including the SF Chronicle Wine Competition.

"To have this quality winegrapes available to you at this price is truly astonishing!

"To have this quality winegrapes available to you at any price is truly astonishing!"

Regardless, I am super-jealous!! You've got some good lookin' stuff there! [cheers.gif]

Matt Wood

#212 Post by Matt Wood » September 9th, 2018, 8:34 pm

Hey Drew, I did go through him yes, I end up getting some grapes through him about every year. This vineyard kinda has sections with Petite and Mataro and Zin and the Carignane is randomly interplanted in those blocks. I was going mostly for Carignane and Mataro but I knw I grabbed some Petite also, I just checked and everything is 24brix after soaking since 10:30 this morning.

Drew Goin

#213 Post by Drew Goin » September 9th, 2018, 10:40 pm

Thanks again, Matt!!!

Is Rue Ferrari your personal label?

Drew Goin

#214 Post by Drew Goin » September 9th, 2018, 10:56 pm

Matt Cline's Three Wine Company is a Wine Access favorite:

Wine Access: 3 Wine Co. 2014 "Mazzoni Vineyard" Petite Sirah

"...Vanessa Conlin DipWSET
Wine & Spirit Education Trust Diploma
Stage 2 Master of Wine Student

"Tannin That Cellars Longer Than Most California Cabernets

"Wine Access clients know Matt Cline as the guardian of some of America’s greatest and most historic vineyards. When translated to bottle, these sites yield dramatic offerings, loaded with class and lush, dark-berry fruit. 'Mazzoni Vineyard' is perhaps the crown jewel in Cline’s historic portfolio, planted in 1885 by Italian immigrants, Spike and Guido Mazzoni. In these sandy soils, rare 50-year-old Petite Sirah takes on a completely singular character...."

unnamed.jpg
Contra Costa Vineyard - from Wine Access email

Three Wine Company website: http://www.threewinecompany.com

Drew Goin

#215 Post by Drew Goin » September 12th, 2018, 8:16 am

As I have been looking up the ATF/TTB establishment of the various AVA's of San Benito County in another thread, I decided to do the same for Contra Costa's - the massive San Francisco Bay AVA.

SF Gate
"Wineries Win Rights to Magic Words: Printing `S.F. Bay' on labels means increase in sales"
by Kevin Fagan
January 22, 1999

"...Never mind that there are no commercial wineries in San Francisco itself, and that the new label law is mainly intended for six other counties around the city.

"It's a name thing. A touchy one. And lucrative.

"This is great news for us," said Tom Lane, winemaker for Concannon Vineyards of Livermore, one of the top winemakers in the East Bay. 'We take a lot of pride in our wine and where we are, but saying we're from the San Francisco Bay will help us sell even more overseas.'

"...Winemakers in Sonoma and Napa counties, the longtime mecca of fine winemaking in California, were predictably displeased at the ruling announced Wednesday by the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. Some Santa Cruz vintners did not like it either. It cuts into their action and their identity.

"...Attaching the words 'San Francisco' to your Zinfandel or Cabernet when you're not really there is misleading about true geographical origin of what's in the bottle, the argument goes. And under the new rule -- to take effect March 22 -- the 'San Francisco Bay' viticultural area will designate grapes grown not just in the county where the sparkling, hilly city sits, but also Alameda, Contra Costa, San Mateo and Santa Clara counties, and parts of Santa Cruz and San Benito counties.

"...William Drake, retired deputy director of the bureau, was unimpressed and unamused by anything associated with the new ruling, and he wrote one of the arguments against it printed in the Federal Register.

"'The appellation, varietals and price are very important in getting decent wine, and this new label is misleading,' Drake, who grew up in Contra Costa and went to school in San Francisco, said yesterday. 'It's being done totally for economics and the tourist trade.

"'This area (in the new appellation) is very different depending on where you are -- you can start off in shirt sleeves at one end and end up in an overcoat at the other end. It's silly to say it's all one.'

"The ATF, which regulates what is allowed on wine labels, was petitioned for the change in 1997 by 75 growers and vintners led by Wente Bros. of Livermore.

"It eventually decided the region made geographical sense because 'it is distinguished by a marine climate which is heavily influenced by the proximity of the San Francisco Bay and the Pacific Ocean,' according to an agency statement.

"As the announcement started filtering through the winemaking grapevine this week, it caused either shock or jubilation wherever it became known.

"'In the wine world, this is a big deal,' acknowledged bureau spokeswoman Tracy Hite.

"Until now, wineries from Livermore to Santa Barbara were only able to label the bottles as either from 'California,' the 'Central Coast' or the individual county where the grapes originated.

"...The world-famous region boasts more than 450 wineries, and the new 'San Francisco Bay' region represents only 39. And that doesn't count Central Valley grape growers, who collectively produce more grapes than anyone in the state...."

I wholeheartedly agree with the comments made to the effect that the San Francisco Bay AVA is so large that it's meaningless. The ATF/TTB assertion that the counties within the viticultural area are "...distinguished by a marine climate which is heavily influenced by the proximity of the San Francisco Bay and the Pacific Ocean," is vague, if not inaccurate.

The degree that a region is affected by the "marine climate" of the Bay/Carquinez Strait/Sacramento Delta/etc varies depending on specific existing geographical features. Sub-Appellations in other parts of the nation have been created due to subtle differences in maritime winds and/or fog.

I probably wouldn't consider this as significant of an issue if the fate of the old vineyards in eastern Contra Costa County was under less threat of destruction, and if the AVA name was not evocative of such a distinct place, one completely unrelated to most of the 7 counties in the region.

Drew Goin

#216 Post by Drew Goin » September 13th, 2018, 6:19 pm

These two photos are from Mr Kevin Romick of Oakley's vineyards:

8-acre Zinfandel vineyard @ SW corner Empire Ave & Oakley Rd:

FB_IMG_1536886622546.jpg
Kevin Romick vineyard photo #1 - from Kevin Romick's Facebook page

Unidentified vineyard (possibly the same one):

FB_IMG_1536886607076.jpg
Kevin Romick vineyard photo #2 - from Kevin Romick's Facebook page

Drew Goin

#217 Post by Drew Goin » September 15th, 2018, 10:48 am

Although the acreage in California has changed in volume and distribution in recent years, for a considerable period of the 1970's-90's, the bulk was found in the San Francisco Bay AVA/Contra Costa.

The first edition of Charles Sullivan's A Companion to California Wine, as well as a few older websites and books, assert that the majority - upwards of ~85% - of the state's Mourvèdre plantings belonged to Cline Cellars. Carignan vineyards remained broader in their distribution across the state.

Cline Cellars' Blog
"Ancient Vines, Old Vines, It’s All Greek to Me"
by Charlie Tsegeletos, Director of Winemaking
July 23, 2009

"We use a couple of criteria when deciding which vineyards to source our 'Ancient Vines' Carignane, Mourvedre, and Zinfandel from. First, the weighted average age of all the vines must be at least 50 years old. Our Carignane and Mourvèdre grapes come exclusively from two vineyards in Oakley, California. The Carignane vines were planted in 1906 and 1925; the Mourvèdre was planted in 1920. While the majority of the grapes for the 'Ancient Vines' Zinfandel are sourced from the same Oakley vineyard (planted in 1906 and 1910), we also select fruit from a group of historic vineyards in Lodi, Mendocino, and Sonoma.

av-series-small2.jpg
"Ancient Vine Collection" - from Cline Cellars' Blog

"The second criterion is that the vines produce intense and flavorful grapes. We pick these grapes at about 26 degrees brix which turns into about 15% alcohol. We want our 'Ancient Vines' series to have big body and intense flavor to keep the wine in balance...."

Breakdown of Reported Planting Dates:

Carignan: 2 Oakley Vineyards

› 1906
› 1925

Mourvèdre: 1 Oakley Vineyard

› 1920

Zinfandel: 1 Oakley Vineyard*

› 1906 & 1910

As indicated in the blog entry, Cline Cellars' "...Carignane and Mourvèdre grapes come exclusively from two vineyards in Oakley, California."

* On the other hand, "While the majority of the grapes for the 'Ancient Vines' Zinfandel are sourced from the same Oakley vineyard (planted in 1906 and 1910)," the 'Ancient Vines' Zinfandel fruit also comes from vineyards in other counties.

Cline Cellars' Blog: "Our Roots Run Deep":
https://clinecellars.wordpress.com

Cline Cellars website:
https://clinecellars.com

Drew Goin

#218 Post by Drew Goin » September 15th, 2018, 12:21 pm

Mr Morgan Twain-Peterson, MW, of Bedrock Wine Company posted the following image of an old Mourvèdre vine in Antioch's "Evangelho Vineyard":

FB_IMG_1537035978513.jpg
Old "Evangelho Vineyard" Mourvèdre Vine - from MTP of Bedrock Wine Company, on Facebook
FB_IMG_1537036650200.jpg
"Evangelho Vineyard" Mixed Grape Clusters - from Facebook post by MTP of Bedrock Wine Company

Mr Twain-Peterson, MW, stated that the 2018 vintage is shaping up to be a fantastic year for grapes.

2017's old-vine Mataro, Zinfandel, Carignan, and Palomino from "Evangelho Vineyard's" West-facing "Block 11" is planned to go into a special, small-scale bottling independent of the traditional Bedrock "Evangelho Vineyard" red wine!!! [cheers.gif]

Bedrock Wine Company website:
https://bedrockwineco.com

Drew Goin

#219 Post by Drew Goin » September 15th, 2018, 12:43 pm

Former Mayor and current Oakley City Council member Mr Kevin Romick posted these photos of a vineyard:

FB_IMG_1537037476968.jpg
Oakley vineyard - photo by Kevin Romick on Facebook
FB_IMG_1537037488811.jpg
Rain Clouds, Vines, and Sun - photo by Kevin Romick on Facebook
________________________________________________________________________________

Romick in Oakley blog
"Saturday, September 22nd from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. – Heart of Oakley Festival"
by Kevin Romick
September 12, 2018

"Save the date to join us for the Heart of Oakley Festival on Saturday, September 22nd from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

"This annual event that takes place downtown and in the Civic Center Plaza, 3231 Main Street. Admission and parking are free.

heart-of-oakley.jpg
Heart of Oakley logo - from Romick in Oakley blog

"The festival features a wide variety of entertainment, vendors, gourmet food, art, cultural exhibits and children’s activities. There will be micro-brews and wine for sale along with commemorative glasses."

heart-of-oakley1.jpg
"Heart of Oakley" Commemorative Wine Glass - from Romick in Oakley blog

Events like this serve to increase local/regional awareness of the cultural treasures found in this part of the county. I fully support any effort to aid in the preservation of the old vineyards of Contra Costa!!!

Drew Goin

#220 Post by Drew Goin » September 15th, 2018, 6:36 pm

More images of the "Oakley Road Vineyard" from Mr Joel Peterson...

FB_IMG_1537059216874.jpg
"Oakley Road Vineyard" harvest traffic - from Facebook post by Mr Joel Peterson
FB_IMG_1537057421161.jpg
The "Oakley Vineyard", surrounded by developed blocks in Oakley - from Facebook post by Mr Joel Peterson
FB_IMG_1537057381936.jpg
"Oakley Vineyard" in broad view (old vines, new auto) - Facebook post from Mr Joel Peterson

Drew Goin

#221 Post by Drew Goin » September 15th, 2018, 7:01 pm

FB_IMG_1537045433876.jpg
Mr Tom DelBarba of the "DelBarba Oakley Rd Vineyard" - from Facebook post by Mr Joel Peterson
FB_IMG_1537045723076.jpg
"Oakley Vineyard" sandy soils - from Facebook post by Mr Joel Peterson
FB_IMG_1537045501661.jpg
Vines of the "Oakley Vineyard" - from Facebook post by Mr Joel Peterson

Drew Goin

#222 Post by Drew Goin » September 20th, 2018, 9:53 am

Mr Kevin Romick posted this photograph of Oakley's elusive "Spinelli Vineyard" on Facebook.

FB_IMG_1537412500588.jpg
"Spinelli Vineyard" on Main St, Oakley, CA - photo by Kevin Romick, posted on Facebook

Most of the city's old vineyards have great stories behind them. To butcher Australian journalist Max Allen's words:

"Old vineyards are not great because they are old; they are old because they are great."

The "Spinelli Vineyard" has proven uncommonly difficult to find much information about (its history, specific location, the grape varieties planted, which wineries have sourced its fruit, etc.). Mr Romick's Facebook post states that Zinfandel, Petite Sirah, and Carignan were just harvested from the vineyard for Matt Cline's winery.

According to his blog, Romick reported in 2012 that "The 5 acres...are whats left of the 18 acres that have been farmed since 1955. Located along Main Street behind Raley's." I presume that the year is when the Spinelli family took ownership of the site, based on details from an article below.

Three Wine Company, operated by Matt Cline, offers a vineyard-designated Mataro/Mourvèdre from the "Spinelli Vineyard".

According to Three Wine Company's website:

"...Much of the original California acreage was lost due to urbanization, but a few small ancient plantings such as the 'Spinelli Vineyard' in Oakley remain today.

"Established over 127 years prior to this vintage, the 'Spinelli Vineyard' is still being dry-farmed and is growing on its own roots."

The data sheet for the 2015 "Spinelli Vineyard" Mataro adds, "The 'Spinelli Vineyard' has extremely sandy-loam soil, Delhi Sandy Loam, resulting in low vigor and
extremely low yields."

The Foundation Plant Services webpage's Carignane Selections 12, 12.1, and (possibly) 13 were submitted by Mr Matt Cline from the "Spinelli Vineyard". Cline also submitted Carignane Selections 13(?), 13.1, 14, 15, and 16 from the "Emerson/Lucchesi/Jose Vineyard", the old-vine site that was eventually kept in the ground after a prolonged battle involving the establishment of the Dutch Slough Tidal Restoration Preserve. Mr Spinelli was active in the debate to allow the vines to co-exist with the preserve.

East County Today
"Oakley Takes First Step Towards Preserving Historic Vineyard"
by Michael Burkholder
January 29, 2014

"...Frank Spinelli supported the effort to preserve the vineyard and shared his family experience working farms in Oakley.

“'I completely support this effort to save this 14-acres of ancient vines. My family has farmed many vineyards in Oakley since the mid-1950s before they were concerned ancient,' said Spinelli. 'They should be preserved at all costs. I hope that saving this ancient vineyard will be the beginning of saving all the vineyards in Oakley. Wouldn’t it be great for future generations to say we have preserved 200-year-old vineyards?'...."

Co-CoFermented Blog
"Spinelli Doctor"
September 5, 2010

"...Assuming the history to be accurate, the current property was planted over 100 years ago by Portuguese settlers named Azevedo. In 1955, a Gustavo Spinelli and his family began managing the vineyard for the Azevedos, purchasing the 18-acre property outright in 1970. Apparently a mere 5 acres of vines remain, and Matt now leases vineyard acreage at Spinelli from a corporate owner.

Spinelli.6.jpg
Allegedly ALSO the "Spinelli Vineyard" - from Co-CoFermented Blog

"Matt was indeed able to pinpoint the vineyard location for me, as one that Kathy had photographed months ago, when we were marveling at the juxtaposition of ancient vines and modern buildings. Few were more jarring than the west side of Highway 4 at Live Oak Avenue, and confirmation of corporate ownership came when Matt colorfully hipped me to the fact that smack dab in the middle 'of some of the greatest Zin in' CoCo, some developer erected an absolute 'monstrosity' of an apartment building. He also told me that the shopping center at the west end of Big Break Road (the eastern side featuring a venerable Cline Cellars property), anchored by a Raley’s supermarket and our veterinary clinic, was formerly the site of a great Mataro vineyard...."

Celebration Wine Club Entry, with details about the 2005 Trinitas " Spinelli Vineyard" Zinfandel, made between Matt Cline's departure from Cline Cellars, but prior to the establishment of Three Wine Company:
https://www.celebrationswineclub.com/tr ... lars-0110/

I will try to confirm the location of the "Spinelli Vineyard", as well as posr a couple of extra harvest photos that Mr Romick included in his post on the 2018 Oakley harvest.

Forgive my rambling.
blahblah

Drew Goin

#223 Post by Drew Goin » September 20th, 2018, 7:46 pm

Below is an older YouTube video that I think is also of the "Spinelli Vineyard". The apartment building complex shown in the Co-CoFermented Blog's photo from the last post appears to be viewable to the right of Mr Matt Cline as the camera shows off the site.

Moore Brothers Wine video

"Matt Cline of Three Wine Company"

Drew Goin

#224 Post by Drew Goin » September 20th, 2018, 8:01 pm

These two videos from the Rosenblum Cellars YouTube channel showcase a couple of prominent viticultural sites in Contra Costa County, California:

"Planchon Vineyard"

"Carla's Vineyard"

I have already written a few words on both vineyards. Antioch's "Carla's Vineyard" - sadly - is pretty much gone at this point in time, the result of commercial development. The "Planchon Vineyard", located in Oakley, is still producing fruit for several wineries.

Drew Goin

#225 Post by Drew Goin » September 21st, 2018, 8:35 am

Fred and Nancy Cline own several vineyards in eastern Contra Costa County in addition to their eponymous winery. Charlie Tsegeletos, winemaker for Cline Cellars, speaks to the Daily Chronicle about the importance of preserving these old vineyards for the future.

Daily Chronicle
"Uncorked: Finding Ancient Vines in the Sands of Oakley"
by James Nokes - news@daily-chronicle.com
September 14, 2018

"A visit to Oakley Vineyard* has Charlie Tsegeletos prepared for a workout.

"For thousands of years, deposits from the Sacramento and San Joaquin River Delta have essentially turned the soil into sand dunes. The Cline Family Cellars winemaker doesn’t walk through the vineyards, he trudges through them.

"...'What amazes me about Oakley is it is just a whole different world,' Tsegeletos said. 'It only gets about 10 inches of rain per year. The rivers have deposited what looks like 30 inches of soil there over the years. It started in the early 1900's and it’s immune from phylloxera because it can’t walk through the sand. So the vines are still on their original rootstock. The fruit has developed an amazing concentration. It’s a wine that we don’t have to do a lot to. We don’t do any wine fining. We farm the vineyard like they would have 100 years ago.'

"...Because Cline and other wineries have supported vineyards like Oakley, the temptation to modernize has been avoided.

“'Some people think we should pull up the vineyards, put some wire out there for vines to grow on and increase the yields to turn a better profit,' Tsegeletos said. 'But these are unique wines that really over deliver. The extra work you have to do to harvest them is worth it.'...."

76njx3qnygjogxb7zhmq6kmvedsy2bx.jpeg
"The ancient vines in Oakley are more than 100 years old." - from Daily Chronicle article
Article link:
http://www.daily-chronicle.com/2018/09/ ... y/ao6k287/

* I do not know if the author is speaking of a specific vineyard or, through an error in editing, means to indicate all vineyards (or a single, unnamed one) in the city.
Last edited by Drew Goin on February 7th, 2019, 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drew Goin

#226 Post by Drew Goin » September 26th, 2018, 8:51 pm

CoCo Wine Country is a wine tasting bar located in Brentwood, CA. Customers can try various local producers' bottlings in a single setting to get a comprehensive experience of the regional expressions of the grapes grown throughout the San Francisco Bay AVA.

coco-logo.jpg
CoCo Wine Country logo

CoCo Wine Country
(925) 634-9463
633 First Street
Brentwood CA 94513

Summer Hours:

Wed-Thurs: 4-8pm
Friday: 4-11pm
Saturday: Noon-11pm
(Sun-Tues: closed)

Https://cocowineco.com

Drew Goin

#227 Post by Drew Goin » September 26th, 2018, 9:15 pm

Desire Lines Wines is a fairly new project involving Cody (employed at Bedrock Wine Company) & Emily Rasmussen. The upcoming Fall 2018 release includes a 2017 "Evangelho Vineyard" Red Wine.

vineyards-evangelho.jpg
"Evangelho Vineyard" - from the Desire Lines website

From the pre-release email message:

"We are so excited to announce the date for our second Desire Lines wine release, which will open the morning of Tuesday, October 2nd. At that time, you will receive an email with a link to the wines available for purchase. While the wines will be allocated, we’re not able to guarantee the allocations given the small quantities available. All wines will be available on a first come, first served basis until the release closes at the end of the day on Sunday, October 7th.

"...The 'Evangelho' Red Wine, a blend of 95% Carignan and 5% Mourvèdre, is vibrant and juicy, inspired by our love for the great Cru Beaujolais of France (for us, that’s Clos de la Roilette’s Cuvée Tardive and the old-vine single parcels of Château Thivin)."

Desire Lines Wines website:
https://desirelineswines.com

Drew Goin

#228 Post by Drew Goin » September 29th, 2018, 4:56 pm

[tease.gif]
IMG_20180929_185040.jpg
"Big Break Vineyard", source of Cline's "Small Berry" Mourvèdre - Google Maps

The "Small Berry" Mourvèdre from Cline Cellars, as well as the winery's "Big Break Vineyard" Zinfandel, are sourced from a location in Oakley that is East of the old DuPont Plant and North of Main Street and the BNSF RR-tracks.

IMG_20180929_185021.jpg
"Big Break Vineyard" (Top-Right Corner), Oakley, CA - Google Maps

For years, the close proximity of Eucalyptus trees to the "Big Break Vineyard" has fueled associations of mint notes in the wines with the proximity of the trees.

This is nothing new. Heitz Cellars' "Martha's Vineyard" Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon and numerous Australian red wines have been subject to the same cause-and-effect theories.

Per Vine Geek's October 19, 2009, review of the 2005 Cline Cellars "Small Berry" Mourvèdre, ETS Labs offers tests for Eucalyptol in wine samples:

"Eucalyptol:
› Sample Type: Grape Juice
› Technique: GC-MS
› Turnaround: 2 Working Days

"Description: Eucalyptol, or 1,8-cineole, is a powerful aroma compound found in some grapes, often from vineyards close to eucalyptus trees. While relatively low concentrations can contribute agreeable aromas, eucalyptol can be considered a wine fault at higher concentrations."

Here is Mr Charlie T, the winemaker for Cline Cellars, on the impact of Eucalyptus tree leaves (aka, "MOG") in the "Big Break Vineyard":

"Cline Cellars: The Mystery of Mint"

Drew Goin

#229 Post by Drew Goin » October 14th, 2018, 3:27 pm

I have been slowly composing a post for this thread about the "California" appelated blends that include Contra Costa old-vine fruit. The basic premise is questioning whether this helps/hurts the preservation of Eastern Contra Costa's vineyards.

Also, I am trying to reach out to the other growers and producers outside of the Antioch/Oakley region in Contra Costa County.

In the meantime, I think it's important to identify who is currently working with old vineyard fruit and putting it on their labels. In order to help increase consumer awareness of the high quality juice originating from the at-risk vineyards in Contra Costa, I believe that more bottles of delicious wine must clearly state the source of the grapes on the front label.

_20181017_142318.JPG
Evangelho Vineyard - Google Maps

Wines from the "Evangelho Vineyard" (Antioch, CA):

Artezin:
http://www.artezinwines.com

"2016 'Evangelho Vineyard' Carignan: 'This Carignan is really something quite special as it is sourced from old bush vines that date back to the 1880’s. Perfect for warmer climes, with late ripening bunches, a hint of what’s to come starts with a deep ruby color in your glass. On the nose, dark red fruit notes with hints of cedar and cured meat lift from the glass. With the first sip, distinct flavors of red plum and Bing cherry deliver bright fresh flavors supported by perfectly balanced acidity. The oak-aging offers hints of cinnamon and baking spice that accent the wine’s smooth texture and lead to a long, lingering finish.'"

Bedrock Wine Company:
https://bedrockwineco.com

"2016 'Evangelho Heritage Red': I still cannot believe that we somehow own this unbelievable unicorn of a vineyard. Perched on banks of deep sand on the windy edge of the Sacramento River Delta this vineyard of own-rooted, 120-year-old vines produces vibrant and personality-filled wines unlike anything else we make. Though all the blocks are field-blends and co-fermented, I would estimate this wine is about 60% Zinfandel and 35% Mataro, with the remainder being Carignane, Palomino and a few other odds and ends. This features racy and vibrant fruit that is pleasantly funkified but the presence of the savory Mataro. Raised predominately in large foudre, this wine probably resembles a wine from the Southern Rhone as much as a 'Zinfandel' from California. As always, the incredibly suave tannins from the sandy soils at the ranch make for a high-tone and elegant red wine."

Cruse Wine Company:
http://www.crusewineco.com

"2017 'Evangelho Vineyard' Carignan - Nearly opaque, purple robe. Bubble gum and cinnamon on the nose, with the distinct concentration of old vine Contra Costa county. Earthy and saline while still fruity on the palate and bizarrely appetizing ham and strawberry jam sandwich."

Dashe Cellars:
https://www.dashecellars.com

"2016 'Les Enfants Terribles' Old Vine Carignane, 'Evangelho Vineyard':

"History: We absolutely love these old, gnarled vines planted on their own roots, in an unlikely spot in Antioch, California. Planted in 1890 and growing in deep sandy soil—essentially a vineyard on sand dunes—in the Sacramento River Delta, these are some of the most beautiful, old Carignane vines we’ve ever seen.

"Since the vineyard is dry-farmed and the soil is essentially pure sand, the roots extend down more than 40 feet to the water table below in some areas. The grapes produce a dark, vibrant wine that shows off how complex a wine of this varietal can be.

"Production:This is always the earliest vineyard we harvest each year, and 2016 year was no exception: we harvested on August 18th.

"We hand-sorted the grapes on a conveyor belt on the way to the destemmer to eliminate any imperfect fruit. The crushed grapes were then fermented using only the natural yeast population on the surface of the grapes (rather than commercial dried yeasts) to conduct the fermentation.

"At dryness, the wine was gently pressed in a membrane press and pumped into traditional 60-gallon oak barrels. The wine was aged for 8 months in one-year or older French oak barrels to maintain the vibrancy of the fruit."

Desire Lines Wines:
https://desirelineswines.com

"2017 Desire Lines 'Evangelho Red Wine': When I (Cody) first started working at Bedrock, one of my first jobs was to create a binder with maps of all the Bedrock vineyards. I remember, as I scrolled through Morgan’s list of cool vineyards in Google Earth, a sense of shock at the number of vineyards in Contra Costa County that he’d bookmarked. Where was that?! I couldn’t remember ever seeing that region in The Wine Atlas. But, because of Morgan and Chris’s enthusiasm for Contra Costa’s sandy soils and their insistence that we understand each individual vineyard, I began to recognize (as they had) the beauty of Contra Costa County.

17EVRED-5229.jpg
Desire Lines Evangelho Vineyard Red Wine - from Desire Lines Wines website

"The vines at Evangelho are own-rooted, planted in the 1890s in pure sand and buffeted by the winds that blow through the Carquinez Strait and across the Delta. Though the vineyard rarely sees the cool and foggy marine layer, the constant winds alter the vines’ respiratory rates, producing grapes with wonderfully low pHs and fresh, vibrant flavors.

"Our 2017 'Evangelho Red Wine' is a blend of roughly 95% Carignan and 5% Mourvèdre. The wine was fermented with 30% whole cluster under a submerged cap and aged for ten months in neutral 400L barrels. The Carignan from 'Evangelho' gives a juicy wine that smells of flowers and red fruits, with a soft tannin profile (a product of the sandy soils) and vibrant acidity. The inclusion of whole cluster adds spice to the nose, while the small portion of carbonic maceration and Mourvèdre add flesh to the palate. The winemaking style is inspired by our love for the great cru Beaujolais of France (and in our book, that’s Clos de la Roilette’s Cuvée Tardive and the old-vine single parcels of Château Thivin): wines that are a joy to drink while young and age gracefully as well."[/I]

› TN of the Desire Lines "Evangelho Red Wine" from Mike Dildine [berserker.gif]

Dirty & Rowdy Family Wines:
https://www.dirtyandrowdy.com

"2017 'Evangelho Vineyard' Old Vines Mourvèdre: Exotic notes of shiso leaf and salted plum rise above a steaming bed of perfectly cooked rice. You are then hit by an explosive and never-ending briney fruit that carries you quickly into old vine daydreams. This one requires comfy clothes as it takes you full on into the astral plane. The finish goes on and on to the point where you ask, 'will I go back to normal again?' And when you find yourself wandering the far reaches of the universe, remember 'if you get confused, just listen to the music play.'"

Keep Wines:
http://www.thekeepwines.com

"2016 Carignane: Our second release from the 'Evangelho Vineyard', this vintage we chose to do 100% whole cluster in a stainless tank, just wetting the cap with light pump overs. Took almost 6 weeks to ferment and only barrel aged for 6 months before bottling. 140 year old, head trained & dry-farmed vineyard in Contra Costa, stepping onto the 'Evangelho Vineyard', you feel like you are on another planet. The large head-trained, arthritic knuckled vines are grown in powdery sand dunes and, stranger yet, is the rarity of grape vines in Contra Costa. This is a lighter reflection of the varietal than our previous year, rose petals and bramble fruit on the nose, medium bodied, long dusty tanins.

"14% alc.
PH 3.65
90 cases produced"

Neyers Vineyards:
https://www.neyersvineyards.com

"2016 Carignan 'Evangelho Vineyard': 'We’ve been buying grapes from the 'Evangelho Vineyard' for many years. These vines are now approaching 140-years-old, we get only a few tons each vintage. We ferment the fruit naturally, in an open-top fermenter, using only native, wild yeast. The grapes are all crushed by foot – not machine – and after a 45-day maceration, the wine is aged for one year in neutral French oak barrels. We bottle it unfiltered.

"'The finished wine offers much of what I found charming in the Carignan of French wine producer, Maxime Magnon, and the bright, fresh flavors introduce an element rarely seen in wines made from other varieties.'
- Bruce Neyers"

"2016 Mourvedre 'Evangelho Vineyard': There isn’t much Mourvèdre planted in California, but when we find some, we buy it. In 2016 we produced one of our finest bottlings of varietal Mourvèdre to date, a wine made from fruit off the 125 year-old vines at Frank Evangelho’s vineyard just outside of Oakley, in northeastern Contra Costa County. The yields from this dry, sandy soil are low, but the quality is high.

"The wine displays a magnificent combination of rustic earthiness coupled with exotic wild cherry flavor. Perhaps its greatest quality is the youthful exuberance that brings the wine into balance while young. Still, it’s a wine that will age with dignity for many years."

Precedent Wines:
http://www.precedentwine.com

"2012 Zinfandel, 'Evangelho Vineyard' Contra Costa County:

"Vineyard: The 'Evangelho Vineyard' is one of the great old vine Zinfandel vineyards in the world. Wines from vineyards like this are unique and cannot be replicated anywhere; they are truly California's greatest gift to the vinous world. Planted in 1890, on their own roots, in over 30 vertical feet of alluvial sand these vines somehow eek out an existence despite being farmed without irrigation. The vineyard produces fantastic and soulful wines.

"The vineyard is at the westernmost viticultural edge of California's great Delta. Warm days, cool nights and wind define the climate that shaped this spit of sand into a once thriving agricultural area. These sands are granite and quartz, literally blown from the Sierra Nevada over millenia. Urban growth has impacted the area and now few of the old vineyards are left. Agriculture still dots the landscape, between housing developments and shopping centers: a reminder of the area's past.

"Harvest occurred on August 20, our earliest harvest at Evangelho, at 23.9 Brix, 3.2 pH and 7.6 g/L . As always the picking decision here is a complex endeavour. Our section of Evangelho is inter-planted with smaller amounts of Carignane, Mataro (Mourvedre), Palomino, Muscat, Chasselas, and other varieties as of yet un-identified. Each of these historic varieties have different ripening trajectories giving the finished wine great complexity. As always we harvest and co-ferment in the true 'field-blend' tradition.

"Cuvasion & Elevage: The grapes were de-stemmed to tank where they soaked for nearly a week before the indigenous yeast took hold. Fermentation was vigorous giving great color, structure and soaring aromatics. We pressed the wine at cap-fall, allowing the wine to go nearly dry on the skins. Total maceration time for the wine was 16 days. Three weeks of resting in steel before the wine was placed in seasoned French Oak,; this helps to preserve the sense of place and strong vineyard character. Malolactic fermentation completed in the late winter and the wine was given its single racking in January. We bottled 123 cases of 750 mLs on July 29, 2014.

"Tasting Note: Dark-red to near black in color. This is the most intensely aromatic wine we have produced from the vineyard. As always we aim for a style that is traditional with a firm vineyard voice. The vintage character of '13 is one of great intensity, but well balanced with bright acidity and vivid fruit. This is the lowest alcohol, 13.9%, we have ever had from this site. The vineyard speaks loudly rather than the hand of the winemaker -- something we firmly believe in."

T-Vine Winery:
https://www.tvinewinery.com

"2014 'Evangelho Vineyard' Carignane: The 'Evangelho Vineyard' is one of the most special vineyards on the planet, and there are few superlatives that truly pay it justice. Situated between a Burger King and a PG&E plant, acres of beachy sand are speckled with 140-year-old, head-trained Carignane vines. These little bushes thrive here, creating supple, flavorful grapes year after year.

"It’s hard to imagine a more tempting wine than the 2014 vintage of 'Evangelho Vineyard' Carignane. A stunning ruby red color in the glass, this wine exudes gorgeous aromas of blackcurrant, maraschino cherry, rich cedar and rosemary accompanied by delicate floral accents in the background. On the palate, bright red fruit shines through at first with beautiful nuances of spice, eventually revealing cinnamon and hints of vanilla. Soft, delicate tannins unravel across the palate as it builds to a long, persistent finish with loads of freshness. We’ll be darned if you can find an easier-drinking wine."

"2014 'Evangelho Vineyard' Mataro: What can we say about our inaugural vintage with this delectable varietal? Contra Costa County is a premier spot for growing some of the best Mataro (also known as Mourvèdre). The half-hillside, half-coastal region gives this grape everything it wants, so you can get everything you want from the moment you open that bottle.

"Understated elegance is how we describe this wine, but we will let you be the judge. Aromas of raspberry, cumin and fennel get you ready for the complexity of the palate. Soft silky layers of red ripe fruit followed by spices with vanilla and floral notes. The perfect wine to pair with your outdoor pizza oven creations."

Three Wine Company:
http://www.threewinecompany.com

"2015 three Zinfandel 'Evangelho' Contra Costa County: This 'Evangelho' Zinfandel is sourced from ancient vines in Contra Costa County. This wine is a blend of Zinfandel (84%), Petite Sirah (13%), and Mataro (23%). Vibrant in color the wine is bright on the palate with blue fruit flavors, ripe peach (yes peach), violets, supple tannins, and perfect acidity. The wine shows staggering ancient vine concentration with a briary density, and silken chewiness with a velour-like texture.

"Decant and enjoy our 2015 'Evangelho' Zinfandel with dry-rubbed baby back ribs."

I would like to highlight the available wines made from ancient single vineyard sources in the Contra Costa region, vineyard-by-vineyard. I will probably miss a few along the way.

At the moment, if you notice any overlooked wines or producers who currently bottle an "Evangelho Vineyard" wine, please let me know!!!
:)
Last edited by Drew Goin on October 21st, 2018, 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Drew Goin

#230 Post by Drew Goin » October 15th, 2018, 2:49 pm

_20181017_142430.JPG
Live Oak Vineyard - Google Maps

Wines from the "Live Oak Vineyard" (Oakley, CA):

Cline Cellars:

"2016 'Live Oak' Zinfandel:

"Vineyard: Our 'Live Oak' Zinfandel is named for Live Oak Road in Oakley, California. The vineyards run adjacent to this road and consistently produce some of our most complex, concentrated and unique lots of Zinfandel. Cline Cellars has chosen to dry-farm the ancient, head-pruned vines. A practice employed by the Italian and Portuguese immigrants that planted this vineyard well before the turn of the century. The Oakley terroir is characterized by the hot sun, sandy soil, and a unique band of air that flows from the Sacramento and San Joaquin Rivers. The terroir also contributes to this areas resistance to phylloxera. Ultimately, this produces a stunning and concentrated Zinfandel.

"Production: The grapes from the 'Live Oak Vineyard' were harvested at high natural sugar levels and treated gently in the cellar to emphasize the explosive fruit characteristic of the block. The fruit was almost entirely de-stemmed and lightly crushed, with a large proportion of whole berries remaining in the must. Fermentation occurred at moderate temperatures in stainless steel tanks, using a selection of cultured yeasts. After eight days of gentle “pump-overs” and near dryness, we drained and pressed the wine from its skins. The 'Live Oak' Zin was minimally handled before being put down to barrel. The wine was aged for 8 months in 40% new, medium –toasted, French oak barrels."

Three Wine Company:

"2014 three Zinfandel Live Oak Contra Costa County:

"The 'Mazzoni-Live Oak Vineyard' is actually two separate small vineyard blocks that are separated by Live Oak Road in Oakley. They were once owned and farmed by two Italian immigrant farmers named Spike and Guido Mazzoni. The 'Mazzoni' block is made up of predominately Zinfandel vines but is a field blend with Petite Sirah, Carignane, Mataro, and Alicante Bouschet with a few vines of Muscat of Alexandria as well. The 1.5-acre 'Live Oak' block across the street is 100% Zinfandel. Together, the 2015 'Mazzoni-Live Oak' is 76% Zinfandel, 4% Mataro, 4% Carignane, 13% Petite Sirah, and 3% Alicante Bouschet. The wine is dark black and blue color to the edge, with raspberry, boysenberry, violets, supple tannins and perfect acidity. The wine shows staggering ancient (130 year-old) vine concentration with a briary density and silky, velour-like mouthfeel which is classic of this vineyard."
Last edited by Drew Goin on October 17th, 2018, 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drew Goin

#231 Post by Drew Goin » October 15th, 2018, 3:59 pm

_20181017_142241.JPG
Del Barba Vineyard - Google Maps

Wines from the "Del Barba Vineyard" (Oakley, CA):

Kreck Wines:
https://kreckwines.com

"'Del Barba Vineyard' Old Vine Zinfandel: Flavors of blackberry pie, dried figs, and ripe plum layered with white pepper and toffee. Big, bold zinfandel fruit with layered nuances continue to evolve from beginning to end. A full mouth feel and viscous middle is balanced by the moderate acidity."

Oro en Paz:
https://oroenpaz.com

"2015 'Del Barba Vineyard' Carignan: Made from century old, head-trained, own-rooted vines currently farmed by 4 generations of the Del Barba family. Opens with bright cherry, plum, black currant and a touch of flint. It has smooth and light tannins and a beautiful balance between florality, fruit and earth. The wine fermented naturally and aged in a rustic and traditional style."

Wilson Foreigner:
http://www.wilsonforeigner.com

"2017 Wilson Foreigner Zinfandel, Del Barba Vineyard, Contra Costa County: The Zinfandel comes from a historic vineyard in Contra Costa County, owned and farmed by the past four generations of the Del Barba family. The fruit was harvested on the morning of August 24th. Fermented by ambient yeasts in a concrete tank, with fifteen percent whole cluster, the must was pressed ten days after harvest. Primary and malolactic fermentation finished in neutral French oak barrels, no additions were made except for sulfur dioxide, and the wine was bottled without any fining or filtration. True to the vineyard and variety, the wine is classically ripe, with freshness and a finely-grained texture. Rich plum and blueberry flavors are balanced by clean acidity."

*From an reply clarifying from which Del Barba family property Wilson-Foreigner sourced its grapes:

"Thank you for the question. The Del Barba family has several parcels throughout Oakley, our Zinfandel is sourced from their 40-acre vineyard off Rose Avenue."

Wingspan:
https://www.wingspan.wine

"'Moons of Neptune' 'Del Barba Ranch' Old Vine Zinfandel: Strawberry, chocolate, cigar box, plum, cedar nectarine, with great minerality + structure.

"'Moons of Neptune' Old-Vine Zinfandel comes for a historic California vineyard, 'Del Barba Ranch'. This 100-year-old, own-rooted vineyard is full of unruly, head-trained vines. Planted in sand, in what was once an ancient seabed, it's withstood phylloxera, Prohibition, and other plights upon California farm land over the last century. Organic and dry-farmed, this vineyard yields a powerful and concentrated fruit."

Wines from the "Oakley Road/Del Barba Vineyard" (NW Corner of Oakley Rd in Oakley, CA):

Once & Future Wines:
https://www.onceandfuturewine.com

"2016 Contra Costa Mataro, 'Oakley Road Vineyard': Mourvedre, the famous grape of Bandol, is known by the name Mataro in California. The Mataro grape has been planted in California since the 1870s, mostly as an adjunct in blends that were Zinfandel dominated. Though scarce, Mataro is an exceptional standalone grape in a few places. One of those is Oakley. In the eastern rain shadow of Mount Diablo near the San Joaquin River, vines on their own roots planted in sand dune-like soils in the late 1800s and early 1900s continue to produce some of the most interesting and highly regarded Mataro in California. The climate conditions are perfect for slow ripening grapes like Mataro. The smoky, soft cherry, plum flavors are well developed and full, with the acid perfectly balanced and the tannins soft and round.

"2016 Contra Costa Zinfandel, 'Oakley Road Vineyard': 'Oakley Road' Zinfandel is planted on the same sandy slopes as the 'Oakley Road' Mataro. These vines, planted around 1900, are on their own roots. Coming out of the sand with multiple arms like hydra, they are truly bush vines. Unlike most other California Zinfandel vineyards, the fruit is carried relatively low to the ground. The proximity to ground acts as shelter from the wind, which can be moderately intense in the afternoon in Oakley, while reflecting radiated light and heat back on the grapes from the sandy soils. The vineyard has about 10 percent Carignane and Mataro interplanted with the Zinfandel. The sandy soils and the own-rooted vines tend to produce unique, suave, textural characteristics in the wines. The wines have bright, ripe flavors, and are very spicy, with fresh acidity and smooth fine tannins in the finish."

_20181017_142348.JPG
Sandy Lane / Gonsalves Vineyard - Google Maps

Wines from the "Sandy Lane/Gonsalves Vineyard" (Oakley, CA):

Cinnabar:
https://www.cinnabarwinery.com

"2016 Mourvèdre Contra ,Costa 'Sandy Lane Vineyard': Brierberry, Mushroom, Cured Meats

"The Land: 'Sandy Lane Vineyard' overlooks the Sacramento Delta near the town of Oakley. Called 'the oldest inter-planted vineyard in California,' it was inter-planted with Mourvèdre, Zinfandel, and Carignan on St. George rootstock in the early 20th century. These ancient head-trained, spur-pruned vines benefit from the cooling effects of the Delta and are dry farmed in soils as sandy as any beach.

"The Season: 2016 saw more rainfall than in the previous five years, bringing some relief to an ongoing drought. Temperatures on average were warm, producing grapes that were fully ripe with above-average crop size.

"2015 Carignan Contra Costa, 'Sandy Lane Vineyard': Black Cherry, Cedar, Licorice

"The Season: In early 2015, California experienced 30% more rainfall than in prior years, easing concerns over a possible fourth consecutive drought. Bud break in March was normal, but May was cold and wet, disrupting bloom and reducing crop loads up to 40% in some areas. Despite this, the vintage produced wines that are more structured, ensuring greater ageability."

Suncé:
https://suncewinery.com

"2015 Carignane 'Sandy Lane Vineyard', San Francisco Bay:

"2015 Mourvedre 'Sandy Lane Vineyard', San Francisco Bay:

Trinitas:
http://www.trinitascellars.com/

Trinitas 2013 'Old Vine' Mataro:*

Vineyard Details: "Mataro (also known as Mourvèdre) is grown in the 'Gonsalves’ Vineyards' in the eastern hills of Contra Costa and hand picked at 28 brix to hone in on mature and deeper flavor development on the vine. With vines dating back over 90-plus years, the mature vines produce low yields that are focused and concentrated in their flavors."

Tasting Notes: "The 2013 Mataro is a beautiful wine with a luscious ruby red color. The nose is rich with bright notes of muddled strawberries, cinnamon sticks, and smoked Cherrywood. The palate is dense and structured. The big cherry, blueberry, and strawberry notes are bold and hit you in the cheeks with flavor. The Mataro also has hints of cedar, hickory, and vanilla, with a nice finish of cherries jubilee."

Trinitas 2013 'Old Vine' Petite Sirah:*

Vineyard Details: "The Trinitas Old Vine Petite Sirah comes from the 'Sandy Lane Vineyard' in the town of Oakley in Contra Costa County. Our growers, the Gonsalves family, have been growing grapes since 1892 here and some of the original vines are still producing our Petite Sirah. The vineyard has sandy soil, thus the name of the vineyard, which is important for two key reasons. First, phylloxera cannot live and breed in sandy soil types, this key fact allowed this vineyard to survive the multiple onslaughts of phylloxera that has plagued Northern California in the last 150 years. Secondly, the sandy soil allows for great drainage and promotes the vines forming strong and deep root systems. The old vines produce small tonnages per acre and tiny berries which both combine to create incredible intensity of structure and flavor."

Tasting Notes: "This is ink in a bottle! The color is highly extracted from the 100+ year old vines. Too many people pass by the Petite Sirah in favor of Cabernet Sauvignon. This wine represents a excellent value for a full-bodied wine. The nose offers dense aromatics of fruitcake, brier, vanilla, baking spices, and strawberry. The palate is dominated by jammy blackberry, with notes of espresso and spice. The palate is structured with complex layers of uber ripe dark fruit, dried cherry, persistent oak and a vanilla tinged finish. Aged exclusively in American oak barrels."

* The website's listing of the current (2014) vintage of these two wines lacks a detailed breakdown of the vineyard sources and tasting notes. As prior vintages have been sourced from the Gonsalves family's "Sandy Lane Vineyard", I am assuming that this is true for the 2014 bottlings as well.

Words of Wisdom from Mr Joel Peterson about the Oakley Road Vineyard (specifically) and Centenarian Viticultural Sites in Eastern Contra Costa (generally):

"...This part of Contra Costa (CoCo for short) is changing rapidly. It has been an industrial backwater for a long time. High tension electrical lines, a PG&E power plant, and motels that rent by the hour stand in contrast to an inordinate number of churches and an increasing reality of fast food restaurants that populate a disjointed human landscape. There is increasing urbanization as roads are widened and BART pushes east. Many of these vineyards are for sale with inflated land prices, having been designated as commercial land—the result being land costs that are more compatible with strip malls than farming. For now, the vines remain in the ground, producing viticultural treasure. And for now, we continue to make lovely wine and cherish our moment."
Last edited by Drew Goin on November 13th, 2020, 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Drew Goin

#232 Post by Drew Goin » October 21st, 2018, 8:07 pm

Wines from the "Castanho Vineyard" (Oakley, CA):

Dropout Wines:
http://www.dropoutwines.com/index.html

"2015 Dropout Mourvèdre

"The 2015 Dropout Mourvèdre is 100% Mourvèdre from 'Castanho Vineyard' in Contra Costa (home of the oldest California Mourvedre vines). These vines were planted in 1981 in 100 feet of sand. The grapes were picked mid August, 100% de-stemed, and fermented in stainless steel tanks. There was skin contact for 18 days before they were gently pressed. After settling in tank for 48 hours, the wine was put into 100% french oak barrels (20% new) for 12 months. The wine finished ml naturally in barrel. Deep purple in color, this rich and meaty wine carries dark fruit flavors such as blackberry and plum. 14.5% ABV, only 250 cases produced."

Drew Goin

#233 Post by Drew Goin » October 22nd, 2018, 4:35 pm

I hate to interrupt my "Wines from the 'xxxxx Vineyard'" groove, but I was surprised to see that the Contra Costa WineGrowers Association website appears to have been updated...

Contra Costa County WineGrowers Association

History:
https://cccwines.com/history

"Contra Costa County has a rich history of Viticulture."

A downloadable PDF is available for viewing more details about the history of grape-growing and winemaking in the region.

Member Wineries & Growers:
https://cccwines.com/members

Wineries:

Bloomfield Vineyards
www.bloomfieldvineyards.com
633 1st Street
Brentwood,Ca 94553
925-783-0050

Campos Family Vineyards
www.camposfamilyvineyards.com
3501 Byer Rd
Byron, CA 94514
(925) 308-7963

Cline Cellars
24737 Arnold Dr/Hwy 121
Sonoma, Ca 95476
707-940-4030

Favalora Vineyards Winery
See our Facebook page
Oakley, Ca 94561
Winery - 346 Earhart Way Livermore CA
925-260-4439

Hannah Nicole Vineyards
www.hnvwines.com
6700 Balfour Rd
Brentwood, Ca 94513
925-240-9463

Nemet Wines, LLC
gkn@dvinvintners.com
411 Bayonet Ct
Brentwood, Ca 94513
925-596-0087

Newberry Estate Vineyards
www.newberryvines.com
2525 Sunset Rd
Brentwood, Ca 94513
925-516-3300

Petersen Vineyards
www.petersenvineyards.com
101 Blaine Lane
Knightsen, Ca 94558
925-890-4841

Tamayo Family Vineyards
www.tamayowines.com
2155 Elkins Way
Brentwood, Ca 94513
925-513-8463

Viano Vineyards
www.vianovineyards.com
150 Morello Ave
Martinez, Ca 94553
925-228-6465

Wedl Wine Cellars
www.wedlwinecellars.com
400 Tate Ln.
Oakley, CA 94561

Growers:

Bloomfield Vineyards Partnership
Brentwood, Ca 94548
925-634-4400

Cecchini Family Vineyards
www.cecchiniandcecchini.com
Knightsen, Ca 94513
925-550-5540

Orchard and Vine
www.orchardandvinebrentwood.com
550 Walnut Blvd
Brentwood, Ca 94513
925-634-4645

Diablo Vista Vineyards
PO BOX 5
Oakley, Ca 94561
925-625-8741

Gambandella Vineyards
mgambo@comcast.net
925-389-7885

Ghilarducci Vineyards
luccazin@gmail.com

The "Members" page of the CCCWines website also includes "Associate Members" & "Taster Members".

The website contains a list of recent accolades that member wineries have been awarded, as well as a page for news and updates.

Drew Goin

#234 Post by Drew Goin » October 24th, 2018, 7:30 am

[snort.gif] Here is a new (to me) vineyard in Oakley, CA...

Cork Dork
"The Oakley Connection, pt. 1: Rosenblum Zinfandel Oakley Vineyards 2003"
May, 2005
http://corkdork.typepad.com/corkdork/20 ... zinfa.html

"...First of all, I live in within 30 miles or so of Oakley, and have a soft spot for Contra Costa wines. I am a big fan of the 'Duarte Vineyard' from Turley, for a place nearly as hot as the Central Valley, grapes from 'Duarte' in Oakley, are always impressive.

"...Still, there was something off about it. Again, I went on-line, this time to the Rosenblum site. Aha! this is only 77% Zinfandel and has old Carignane, Petite Sirah and Mourvedre vines as well as Zin which gives it an unusual darkness, in both color and flavor as well as an unctuousness and roundness that the blend give it. It's also from a blend of fields as well, so I'm guessing that this comes from all these different vineyards that are all in Oakley:

"Rosenblum Zinfandel 'Oakley Vineyards'

"Vineyards: Cutino, Live Oak, Castanho, Carapinha, Viano, Continente
Composition : 77% Zinfandel

"In any case, this is not something I am going to run out and buy -- this one was a treat a guest brought one night, but at least I know a little more about this amazing area I'm so close to. Viva Contra Costa!"

I had not encountered a wine from the "Carapinha Vineyard" previously. Further digging turned up a vineyard-designated dessert wine from Rosenblum Cellars, but no other wines with the site identified on the label. No other wine-centered articles mention this old vine location, either.

22468.jpg
Rosenblum Cellars "Carapinha Vineyard" Port Wine - from CellarTracker

Here is the apparent address of the "Carapinha Vineyard":

_20181021_221302.JPG
"Carapinha Vineyard" - Google Maps

If anyone knows more about this vineyard, please share!!!

Drew Goin

#235 Post by Drew Goin » December 11th, 2018, 1:43 pm

Mr Rory Williams' Calder Wine Company has released a new collection of single-vineyard bottlings from Napa & Contra Costa Counties:

"Happy December to all Calder subscribers! I'm very happy to release a suite of new wines for your enjoyment.

...The wines are offered first-come, first-served. Shipping times vary based on destination. If you choose the 'winery pickup' option, I will contact you directly to arrange pickup. Please feel free to reach out to me directly at 707-947-3126 or by email at Rory@calderwine.com if you have any questions, or are having difficulty with an order.

"Five new wines are being released, which includes new vintages of most of the core wines, as well as a brand-new wine, the 2016 'Evangelho' Carignane..."

36013a5d-9d6a-4ade-ad1c-5f741b9cb504.jpg
"Evangelho Vineyard" - from Calder Wine Co email

2016 Carignane, Evangelho Vineyard
Contra Costa County

"Improbably situated in the Sacramento River delta alongside Amtrak train tracks, a driving range, and a PG&E power plant, the 'Evangelho' vineyard is one of the greatest vineyards in California. Planted in the 1880s to a mixture of Zinfandel, Mataro (Mourvedre), and Carignane, these ancient vines reside on their own roots in Delhi sand. After being tended for many years by the late Frank Evangelho, the vineyard has passed into the hands of Morgan Twain-Peterson and Chris Cottrell, the proprietors of Bedrock Wine Co. in Sonoma, ensuring the continued survival and success of a true California icon.

"If you can't tell, I'm incredibly excited to be working with this fruit. Soft and supple on the palate, the 'Evangelho' shows warm summer fruits and gentle spice. Being raised on the beach means that the wine soaks up all the California sunshine, but deep roots ensure a low pH and incredible balance.

49 cases made.
750ml - $28
1.5L - $70 (6 available)

"...Thank you again for being a supporter of Calder, and I hope you enjoy the wines this holiday season.

Cheers,

Rory Williams"

Calder-Wine-Co-2016-Carignane,-Evangelho-Vineyard-product-image-26-large (1).jpg
Calder Wine Co. '16 "Evangelho Vineyard" Carignane label

The Calder Wine Company website includes additional information about the inaugural offer of the Contra Costa old-vine Carignan(e)

"... Winemaking: 1.58 tons were harvested on August 27th, 2016 in perfect condition. All fruit was destemmed, but not crushed, into ¾-ton macrobins. No sulfur was added at crush. The fruit bided its time soaking on the skins for almost a week before fermentation started on the strength of the grapes’ indigenous yeasts. Management proceeded with daily punchdowns for the next 8 days. Sulfur was added during aging at two points—once after ML fermentation, and again just before bottling. The 'Evangelho' spent 18 months in neutral French oak with three rackings and a light filtration before being bottled on March 21st, 2018.

"Technical Information:

"Appellation: Contra Costa County
Vineyard: 'Evangelho Vineyard'
Farming Method: Dry-farmed, practicing organic
Aging/Cooperage: French, neutral, 18 months
Brix at Harvest: 23.8
Harvest Date: 8/27/16
Alcohol: 13.9%
PH: 3.37
TA: 0.632g/100mLs
Production: 48 cases"

Calder Wine Company website:
https://calder.securecheckout.com

Drew Goin

#236 Post by Drew Goin » December 12th, 2018, 5:39 am

YouTube Video:

Bedrock Wine Company
December 4, 2018

"Sampling Fruit: 'Evangelho'"

Drew Goin

#237 Post by Drew Goin » December 15th, 2018, 7:51 am

I do not know whether the fruit from this ~9.5 acre vineyard is bottled by a small producer or a larger concern, nor do I know what variety/varieties are grown here. The vines do look old, however...

1799 Carpenter Road

From the CoCo Assessor's office website:

"General Information
APN: 034-030-006-0
Situs Address: 1799 CARPENTER RD,
OAKLEY, CA, 94561-4002"

LoopNet Profile for 1799 Carpenter Road:

"...Unique ownership opportunity that includes a
Wedding/Event Center, Industrial Warehouse with
Yard, Grape Vineyard, and Caretaker’s
Residence, all on one Property..."

image.jpg
1799 Carpenter Road - LoopNet image

According to Google search results, the vineyard is part of the LaGrande Weddings Estate. The Better Business Bureau site lists the owner's address as Bob Long Technologies, which has something to do with paintball.

"La Grande Estates is Bay Area’s premiere venue and the perfect place to exchange vows.

"Set on a majestic ten acres of vineyards, it’s a beautiful backdrop for an outdoor ceremony, with a european ambiance that includes lush gardens, lakeside gazebos, calming sounds of its waterfalls and the peaceful tranquility of its panoramic surroundings...."

https://www.lagrandeweddings.com

Drew Goin

#238 Post by Drew Goin » December 19th, 2018, 7:54 am

Here are some photos from Mr Kevin Romick of Oakley area vineyards...

FB_IMG_1545234121360.jpg
Oakley, CA, vineyard #1 - Facebook post by Mr Kevin Romick
FB_IMG_1545234140532.jpg
Oakley, CA, vineyard #2 - Facebook post by Mr Kevin Romick

"Romick in Oakley" blog website:
https://romickinoakley.wordpress.com

★ EDIT ★

Mr Romick said that these vines are located along Oakley Rd, and are most likely going to be uprooted next year. :(

Drew Goin

#239 Post by Drew Goin » December 28th, 2018, 7:39 am

Here are a couple of additional vineyard photographs in Oakley, CA, courtesy of Mr Kevin Romick:

FB_IMG_1546009642452.jpg
Vineyard photo #1 - Mr Kevin Romick, Facebook post

FB_IMG_1546009675903.jpg
Vineyard photo #2 - Mr Kevin Romick, Facebook post

According to Mr Romick's Facebook post, the above images were captured during a walk from the CoCo DeAnza Trail, back around to Rose Ave & Laurel Rd.

Drew Goin

#240 Post by Drew Goin » January 2nd, 2019, 11:24 pm

Once again, I discovered an article about Contra Costa's wines and producers some time after its publication... [tease.gif]

East County Today
"Contra Costa Winegrowers Offer Holiday Wine Selections"
by East County Today Staff & CCWA
December 23, 2018

"...Rather than peruse the hundreds of labels out there, look no further than out your backdoor. Break from the trends and the norm, and give Contra Costa another look!

"For your festivities, the Contra Costa Winegrowers Association would recommend:

"Campos Family Vineyards – Sparkling Rose’ $32

"The Campos Family Vineyards are located in Byron.

"...Living on and owning a vineyard is a dream come true for Ric and Michelle...With all of the charm of Napa tucked away close to home, Campos Family Vineyards is truly a hidden gem. Enjoy the splendor of this unique destination getaway, with its striking landscape and glorious sunsets!

"...This Sparkling Rose is a Chardonnay & Viognier base, with a dose of the beautiful red fleshed Alicante Bouchet Grape that adds color and flavor. Sparkling Rose’ is one of the most versatile, food friendly wines and is easily enjoyed on its own. Low residual sugar and higher acid makes pairing very easy.

"...For more on Campos Family Vineyards, visit them at www.camposfamilyvineyards.com

"...Cline Cellars – 2017 Cashmere White – $20

"While the winery may be in Sonoma, the Clines tend to over 400 acres of vineyard in Contra Costa, primarily located in Oakley and Brentwood. Fred Cline started Cline Family Cellars in 1982 in Oakley, California, making his first vintages from original plantings of Mourvedre, Zinfandel, and Carignane, some of which dated back to the 1880’s.

"In 1989, Fred purchased a 350-acre horse farm in Carneros and moved the winery to Sonoma County. As one of the original Rhône Rangers, he began planting varietals that included a number of vineyards dedicated to Syrah, Viognier, Marsanne, and Roussanne.

"...The 'Cashmere White' has bright flavors of peach and pear, floral aromas, and toasty vanilla notes. It is a blend of Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, Muscat Canelli to add fruit flavors and floral aromas, and Viognier to round out the mix.

"For more on Cline Cellars, visit them at www.clinecellars.com

Nunn-Wine-Brentwood.jpg
"Photo courtesy of Nunn Family Farms" - East County Today

"Nunn Family Vineyards – 2016 Mourvèdre $20

"The Nunn Family Vineyards are located in Brentwood. Farming attracted the Nunn Family to the rich soils of Brentwood almost 150 years ago. At just 20 years old, George Nunn came to town to work the grain harvest. He saw promise and a successful future living and working with the kind people of Brentwood. Slowly, other family members joined him and they set down roots in their beautiful surroundings. They began building a farming business that is still run by third, fourth and fifth generation members of the Nunn Family.

"...Love for the land and a passion for farming runs strong throughout the Nunn Family. This outlook on life formed the momentum behind Orchard & Vine. Ron and Shirley Nunn purchased the property with a vision of growing wine grapes and farm market produce while creating a destination that would allow others to enjoy the surrounding scenic beauty and to experience agriculture firsthand. The vineyards were planted in 2013, and the 2016 vintage represents the first fruits of their vision.

"This Mourvèdre is rich and vibrant, with hints of a spicy character, it is the perfect wine for food pairings with slow braised, grilled and stewed meats.

"www.orchardandvinebrentwood.com

"Wedl Wine Cellars – 2014 Zinfandel $16

"...Wedl Wine Cellars is in Oakley...Don and Carole got married in North Carolina...Soon after, the young couple moved to California and Don decided that since he lived so close to the country’s most prestigious wine country, he’d try making some himself. With little money and lots of friends, Don began making award winning wine in the family garage with the help of other young parents, neighbors and friends of friends. The Wedl garage in Pleasant Hill became a year-round tasting room, crush pad and bottling center. And 'Wedl you taste the difference' became a trademark that everyone seems to remember.

"...John Dobleman joined the eclectic winemaking group in the Wedl’s garage in 1987. He quickly became one of the permanent members and lured many of his skydiving and teacher friends to join in the fun. In 2000, John and his wife, Tina, moved to Oakley and planted 1½ acres of zinfandel grapes – thereafter known as 'Mad John’s Zinyard'.

"The Wedl Zinfandel is initially a little earthy in the nose, sometimes referred to as 'forest floor' but quickly settles to cherry and violet. Initial palette is dominated by black currant and cherrywood, with currant transitioning to a short, simple finish. Well-balanced acidity, but not overwhelmed by alcohol.

"For more information on Wedl Wines, visit: www.wedlwinecellars.com

"Favalora Vineyards Winery – 2015 Late Harvest Zinfandel $24

"The Favalora Vineyards are located in Oakley, but wines are made in Livermore. Frank’s winemaking expertise is a combination from long time Oakley grower, Stan Planchon and the iconic winemaker, Kent Rosenbloom.

"The Late Harvest Zinfandel is full of vibrant, berry fruit flavors, with the color of garnets.

"For more information on Favalora Vineyards Winery, visit Facebook...."

Drew Goin

#241 Post by Drew Goin » January 3rd, 2019, 10:18 am

Mr Matt Cline of Three Wine Company has scheduled the release of a new round of bottlings for January 12, 2019, for the DIRT Wine Club members:

Three Wine Co. 2014 'Bigelow Vineyard' Carignane

"Marcus James Bigelow was a gentleman farmer and hoedown fiddler who enjoyed playing cards with friends more than farming. While he moved and worked slowly, he was reported to have been a very fast driver.

"Originally planted in the mid 1880’s, his vineyard on Neroly Road in Oakley is still producing a minuscule quantity of small berry Mataro, Carignane, and Zinfandel. This 130 year-old vineyard is dry-farmed and grown in Delhi Sand series loam soil, which is similar to beach sand. These vines produce a mere 2.5 to 3.5 tons of fruit per acre.

"The 2014 vintage will go down as one of the earliest harvest in over a decade. Despite an ongoing drought and earthquake that rocked south Napa in late August crush was just getting underway. A mild winter and spring caused early bud break, although the overall length of the growing season was similar to past years. A compacted harvest began in July for sparkling wines and started winding down by mid-October for later ripening varieties. The moderate temperatures allowed for even ripening, concentrated fruit and firm tannins.

"This Carignane is dark black and blue color to the edge, with aromas of cherry, baking spice, and black tea. This
savory wine rounds out the palate with dried cranberries, cherry, and supple tannins."

Three Wine Co. 2016 'Evangelho Vineyard' Zinfandel Contra Costa

"This Zinfandel is sourced from ancient vines in Contra Costa County. The 2016 'Evangelho' Zinfandel is a blend of 81% Zinfandel, 16% Petite Sirah, and 2% Carignane, and 1% Alicante Bouschet. This vineyard has extremely sandy-loam soils which are classified as Delhi Sandy Loam. The Delhi soil loam classification is considered as having the lowest organic material and the highest sand content of any other loam soil. These soil characteristics result in low vigor. Sand is also Phylloxera resistant so many of these vineyards are on their own roots. In Contra Costa County, situated only 50 minutes from San Francisco, grapes have been planted and have been growing for over 150 years.

"An average winter rainfall in 2016 helped alleviate some of the drought concerns but a warm spring jump-started
the Californian season up to a month early, similar to 2015. June was hotter than normal and July looked to follow suit until temperatures peaked mid-month. August was unusually cool this year, a month where heat spikes are common but we only had a few days in the triple digits. So fruit softened and ripened under slow steady conditions without dehydration and premature sugar accumulation. Despite another early start to harvest in 2016, our vineyards in northern California experienced a cooler ripening season.

"The 'Evangelho Vineyard' is still being dry-farmed and is growing on its own roots. There is a concentration
of ripe blackberries and spice with a minerality (dusty berry) sneaking through.
The Petite Sirah adds structure, color, black fruit, and a spicy white pepper character. The Mataro adds complex fruit, dried herb flavors, and a fleshy mouth feel. With such a low pH and big fruit flavors, don’t hesitate to age this wine for 5-7 years."

Three Wine Company website:

Drew Goin

#242 Post by Drew Goin » January 15th, 2019, 8:17 pm

I was introduced to a cool resource via the Lodi Wine Grape Comission's blog: the Web Soil Survey and NRCS archives. The USDA's Nation Resources Conservation Service - Soils page provides detailed reports and a mapping tool for the USA.

NRCS California Portal:

https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nr ... stateId=CA

"USDA Soil Survey: Contra Costa County, California" by EJ Carpenter (1939) (download)

_20190115_212222.JPG
"Oakley 1" - Soil Survey Contra Costa, 1939
_20190115_212249.JPG
"Oakley 2" - Soil Survey Contra Costa, 1939

"USDA Soil Survey: Contra Costa County, California" (1977) (download)

_20190115_214444.JPG
"Delhi Series (intro)" - Soil Survey Contra Costa, 1977
_20190115_214509.JPG
"Delhi Series 1" - Soil Survey Contra Costa, 1977
_20190115_214532.JPG
"Delhi Series 2" - Soil Survey Contra Costa, 1977
What I find interesting about the above text is that the "Del Barba Vineyard" is located just NW of the corner of Rose & Laurel in Oakley, CA.

NRCS Web Soil Survey App/Tool:

https://websoilsurvey.nrcs.usda.gov/app/

"Web Soil Survey (WSS) provides soil data and information produced by the National Cooperative Soil Survey. It is operated by the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) and provides access to the largest natural resource information system in the world. NRCS has soil maps and data available online for more than 95 percent of the nation’s counties and anticipates having 100 percent in the near future. The site is updated and maintained online as the single authoritative source of soil survey information."

Drew Goin

#243 Post by Drew Goin » January 16th, 2019, 3:59 am

I have shared this resource in another thread (perhaps somewhere on this one as well!). I apologize for any redundancy.

Old and Sold
A View of California Wines & Wineries: "Livermore-Contra - Notable Wineries By District And Region" (Intro)

"...Contra Costa County is best known for its table wines and especially for its Gamay. The county's more important winegrowing areas are located south of the city of Martinez and by Mt. Diablo, which rises so majestically east of San Francisco to a height of nearly four thousand feet."

A View of California Wines & Wineries: "Livermore-Contra - Notable Wineries By District And Region: Contra Costa County"

J. E. Digardi Winery, Martinez

Gopher Gulch Ranch Wine Cellars, Walnut Creek

Drew Goin

#244 Post by Drew Goin » February 4th, 2019, 4:36 pm

I wanted to determine whether a decision had been rendered on the issue of Mulehead Growers' suit against BNSF for the alleged spraying of herbicides on the former's Oakley vineyard properties abutting the railroad tracks.

UniCourt website
"Mulehead Growers, LLC vs BNSF Railway Company"

"This case was last updated from Contra Costa County Superior Courts on 01/11/2018

"Case Summary: On 01/08/2018 a Personal Injury - Other Personal Injury case was filed by Mulehead Growers LLC against BNSF Railway Company in the jurisdiction of Contra Costa County Superior Courts, Martinez Superior Court - Wakefield Taylor Courthouse located in Contra Costa, California.

"Case Status: Pending - Other Pending"[/I]

The most recent detail from this site's report is a docket entry, dated May 23, 2018, that merely states:

"...05/23/2018: Case Management Conference"

Articles Detailing the Story:

Mercury News
"Oakley Grape, Almond Farmers Sue BNSF Railroad for Herbicide Use"
by Nate Gartrell
January 23, 2018

"The stewards of a six-acre field of century-old vineyards have sued the nation’s second-largest railway company, alleging that the railroad’s indiscriminate spraying of herbicides is harming the grapes and almonds being grown there.

"...The suit alleges that the railroad company began using the chemicals for weed control on the railroad in early 2016, and that within weeks, the curators of the vineyard property started to notice that the herbicides were spreading onto the farm and harming almonds and grapes being grown there...."

Wine Industry Insight
"Bay Area Wine Grape Growers sue BNSF Railway alleging Illegal, Negligent Herbicide Damage"
by Lewis Perdue
January 26, 2018

"...All of the affected land is owned by the two Cline partnerships except for a 5.76-acre parcel leased from the city of Oakley. Of the Cline vineyards two are named in the lawsuit as as 'Bridgehead' and a third as 'Big Break'...."

LowRes-Screen-Shot-2018-01-25-at-4.23.32-PM-.png
Map of Affected Vineyard Properties - from Wine Industry Insight

The Press
"Mulehead Growers LLC Suing BNSF Railway, Alleging Herbicide Use Killed Crops"
by Kyle Szymanski
January 31, 2018

"...Mulehead Growers LLC states that the chemical application caused the group to suffer unspecified losses to its trees and crops at various spots around the city, including a 5.67 acres site near 3231 Main St. and on 88.76 acres near Bridgehead Road...."

This is a very sad tale, one that only compounds the challenges old grapevines face in the rapidly developing Eastern area of Contra Costa County. If anyone has additional information or insight into the matter, I would be very grateful.

Drew Goin

#245 Post by Drew Goin » February 7th, 2019, 6:52 am

The Sandlands 2019 offering went online on February 7, 2019.

While this is the fourth release of Tegan Passalacqua's Mourvèdre/Mataro from the "Del Barba Vineyard" (2010, 2015, '16, '17), no Carignan was made available.

However, a new wine was produced, a CoCo "Red Table Wine".

Mataro 17 CCC Ft_jpeg_TTB (002).jpg
Sandlands 2017 "Del Barba Vineyard" Mataro - from the Sandlands website

"2017 Mataro – Contra Costa County – 4 barrels produced.

"This vineyard was planted in the 1920's in what is classified as Dehli blow sand (decomposed granite that has been deposited by wind). Sandalwood, dark plum, apricot, fennel, cured meats, finishes with suave, energetic tannin. 13.9% alc."

"2017 Red Table Wine – Contra Costa County – 12 barrels produced.

"The vineyard was planted in the 1920s in what is classified as Dehli blow sand (decomposed granite that has been deposited by wind and water). India ink, cranberry, ripe peach, cranberry, chalky, structured tannins. 12.9% alc.

about5.jpg
"Contra Costa Vineyard" - from Sandlands' website

Sandlands website:
https://www.sandlandsvineyards.com

Drew Goin

#246 Post by Drew Goin » February 7th, 2019, 10:31 pm

Several long-time vineyard-owning families in Oakley and Antioch have sold their properties to developers, or have become involved directly in converting viticultural land into residential/commercial projects.

Not long ago, I read of a cluster of housing under the name "Duarte Estates" in Oakley. This was disheartening. However, the surname found on one of Turley's Contra Costa County Zinfandels may grace another producer's label: Duarte Estates Winery.

On the City of Oakley's Planning Division website, an approved project reads:

"Duarte Estates Winery Conditional Use Permit (CUP 02-17)

"Application by Daniel Duarte requesting approval for a Conditional Use Permit (CUP 02-17) for approval to establish a Winery use on the property. The production and storage of wine will take place in a new 1,500 square foot accessory structure (not part of this project). The project site is designated Agricultural Limited in the Oakley 2020 General Plan and zoned Limited Agriculture (AL). The Project is located at 1459 Kay Lane. (APN: 034-070-027)"

Duarte Estates Winery Site Plan (download)

_20190208_002117.JPG
Duarte Estate Winery location - 1459 Kay Lane (Google Maps)

In addition, I discovered an article about the prospective winery/custom crush facility:

East Bay Times
"Wineries and Eminent Domain Discussed at Oakley City Council"
by Aaron Davis
July 13, 2017

"...After sending his Oakley-grown grapes to winemakers in Napa like Turley Wine Cellars for so many years, Daniel Duarte is ready to make wine at home.

On Tuesday, city council members approved a conditional use permit for Duarte to transform his 2.57-acre vineyard on Kay Lane into a working winery. In the near future, Duarte will file a permit to build a 1,500-square-foot agricultural building where the winemakers will sort, crush and ferment the grapes. Two years later, they will also bottle the wine, store it and hopefully sell at a store in Oakley.

“'This is an opportunity to show the world what Oakley has,' said Vice Mayor Randy Pope. 'Hopefully it works out and we’ll see you with an application for a tasting room in the near future.'

"The motion was unanimously approved...."

Drew Goin

#247 Post by Drew Goin » February 12th, 2019, 5:59 pm

I found a winery that offers a couple of single-vineyard bottlings from the "Duarte Vineyard" of Oakley, CA. I am still trying to determine where the actual growing site is located.

_20190212_195737.JPG
Enoteca Five Duarte Vineyards Chardonnay - from winery website

"Enoteca Five 2017 'Wanderlust' Chardonnay, 'Duarte Vineyards'

"Located in the Sacramento River Delta community of Oakley, CA, this Heritage Vineyard is home predominantly to old vine Zinfandel grown is sandy soils resembling that like one sees at the beach. Seven rows in the vineyard are dedicated to Chardonnay...."

Enoteca Five website:
http://www.enoteca5.com/

Hoang Pham

#248 Post by Hoang Pham » February 12th, 2019, 6:21 pm

Drew Goin wrote:
February 12th, 2019, 5:59 pm
I found a winery that offers a couple of single-vineyard bottlings from the "Duarte Vineyard" of Oakley, CA. I am still trying to determine where the actual growing site is located.

_20190212_195737.JPG

"Enoteca Five 2017 'Wanderlust' Chardonnay, 'Duarte Vineyards'

"Located in the Sacramento River Delta community of Oakley, CA, this Heritage Vineyard is home predominantly to old vine Zinfandel grown is sandy soils resembling that like one sees at the beach. Seven rows in the vineyard are dedicated to Chardonnay...."

Enoteca Five website:
Interesting. When I hear of Duarte Vineyard, i'm thinking Turley Zin. Thanks for the heads up Drew. I hit the wineries in Livermore a few times a year and never heard of Enoteca Five before. Definitely will swing on by one of these days for a tasting.

Drew Goin

#249 Post by Drew Goin » February 12th, 2019, 8:18 pm

Hoang Pham wrote:
February 12th, 2019, 6:21 pm
Drew Goin wrote:
February 12th, 2019, 5:59 pm
I found a winery that offers a couple of single-vineyard bottlings from the "Duarte Vineyard" of Oakley, CA.

Enoteca Five website:
Interesting. When I hear of Duarte Vineyard, i'm thinking Turley Zin. Thanks for the heads up Drew. I hit the wineries in Livermore a few times a year and never heard of Enoteca Five before. Definitely will swing on by one of these days for a tasting.

Please report back, Hoang!!

On the winery a website, there's a "Duarte Vineyard" Zinfandel listed as an upcoming release. For my tastes, that is way more intriguing than a CoCo Chardonnay.

If you check out Livermore wineries that bottle Contra Costa juice, please give some thought to trying the new wines from Frank at Favalora Vineyard Winery. He has a "Planchon Clone" Zin, a Carignan, a Rosé, a dessert red wine, and I think a Petite Sirah, as well.

Drew Goin

#250 Post by Drew Goin » February 21st, 2019, 3:56 pm

A few written histories of the Contra Costa Region:

History of Contra Costa County, California - Google Books
Brooks-Sterling Company (Facsimile reprint of the 1882 ed. published by W.A. Slocum, San Francisco) 710 pages

"Geography, Name, Topography, etc"

› All entries for the term "Vineyard"

The History of Contra Costa County, California
by Frederick J. Hulaniski (1917) - Genealogy Trails transcription of "Geography, Name, Topography, etc"

by Frederick J. Hulaniski (1917) - Internet Archive

The Elms publishing Co., Inc.

by Frederick J. Hulaniski (1917) - Google Books (Entry #1)

Jazzybee Verlag, Jun 13, 2018, History, 470 pages

"This history of Contra Costa County should prove to be the most complete compilation of local chronicles that has up to this time been offered to the citizens of one of the loveliest counties in the United States. The authenticity of the facts contained in the various articles is as absolute as the utmost care could make it. The data have been procured from the best-known authorities, and the biographical sketches, when completed, were subjected to the most searching examination for verification and correction."

"Chapter 8: Climate, Soil, Horticulture, Agriculture"

by Frederick J. Hulaniski (1917) - Google Books (Entry #2)

Elms Publishing Company, 635 pages

› All entries for the term "Oakley & Sandlands", including "Chapter 32: Oakley and Sandlands" by R.C. Marsh (p.332)

› All entries for the term "Antioch", including "Chapter 28: Antioch" by Rudolph A. Wilson of the Antioch Ledger staff (p.355)

Return to “Wine Talk”