Enjoying the 2003's from Bordeaux

I am new to Bordeaux wines. The last few years I’ve purchased a bunch of 2000’s and a handful of 1998’s and 1996’s (most costing between $19 and $65). While I’ve pulled the cork and taken a peek at a few of those, my experience tells me to leave most of them sleeping undisturbed in my cellar for at least a few more years.

Late in September I took a trip down to Applejack wines in Denver, intending to stock up on some '07 Cotes du Rhone wines (which I managed to do) and came across a few 2003 Bordeaux wines with nice Parker descriptions at what seemed to me to be some pretty good prices, so I decided to buy a couple of cases and pop some corks in the near-term. I’ve tried each of them over the last month, and very much enjoyed them. They are:

Château Gloria ($34)
Château Joanin Bécot ($25)
Château Potensac ($20), and
Château du Tertre ($30).

Each of these wines had plenty going for them on both the nose and palate. Most of my prior experience with Cab or Merlot based wines is with California, and primarily from 1990 to 1996 (Arrowood Réserve Spéciale, Dalla Valle, Pahlmeyer, Montelena Estate, Peter Michael Les Pavots, etc). I gave up on continuing to purchase those California wines for two reasons, primarily: their ever-increasing cost; and the fact that only about 1 in 5 of them would leave me impressed when I got around to opening them. Back in the mid-90’s I was purchasing them for at least what I paid for the above-mentioned 2003’s from Bordeaux. These 2003 Bordeaux wines seem to have so much more going for them than most of those California wines that I’ve tried, regardless of when I tried them (I had the '95 and '96 Les Pavots just this last summer).

In any event, I just wanted to post how much I’ve enjoyed these few 2003 Bordeaux wines, especially given their relatively low cost. I liked the Gloria and Tertre so much that I went back yesterday and bought another 6 of each (still on sale). I also thought I’ve give a couple of other 2003’s on sale a try: Château Faugères ($30) and Château Malescot St. Exupery ($45).

Anyone else enjoying these, or other Bordeaux wines from 2003?

Also, is 2003 so unique a vintage in Bordeaux that I will be left standing at the alter with respect to other vintages?

Hey Terry,

You are not alone - I’ve had a number of 03 Bordeaux and although a lot of people are kind of down on 03, I quite like the vintage, especially for current and shorter-term drinking. Based on what you’ve liked, I might suggest you try and pick up any of the following, which I’ve had good experiences with:

Phelan Segur
Bernadotte
Lagrange
Grand Puy Lacoste
D’Aiguilhe
Clos Les Lunelles

I did have the '03 Faugeres within the last few weeks, and while it’s fine, I didn’t like it as much as the list above. Or check my notes on Cellartracker for my full notes on what I’ve had, my CT handle is amateurwino.

I don’t think that you’ll find that 03 is the only vintage you’ll like. Is it the ripeness you like, do you think? I think when they hit their windows, 2000 and 2005 will work nicely for you; 1996 will work well for you now too, if you can get your hands on some.