TN: 2002 Rubicon Estate / Niebaum-Coppola Rubicon (USA, California, Napa Valley, Rutherford)

• 2002 Rubicon Estate / Niebaum-Coppola Rubicon - USA, California, Napa Valley, Rutherford (11/7/2009)
    Decanted and enjoyed over two hours. Nice nose of saddle leather and graphite. Smooth, earthy, extreme balance. Harmonious, with secondary floral notes playing off a field of dark red fruits. This was a nice surprise as my expectations were not that great. In a very nice place today, should continue to be in its window for several more years.

Posted from CellarTracker

I had the 2001 a few months ago and it was also very nice. It is a wine which should appeal to both california and bordeaux fans, as it has good stuffing and is well balanced.

why low expectations? a great wine most vintages in my experience.

Glenn,

This is my first Rubicon. My previous experiences with the Coppola offerings haven’t been great. I wasn’t expecting it to be as nuanced and interesting as it was given the relative simplicity of the other bottles that I’ve had.

Rubicon is definitely their flagship wine. we ever meet remind me and i’ll tell you a story about getting throw out of the Fla restaurant 30A and 1991 or 92 Rubicon.

2 totally different wineries. Rubicon Estate is in Rutherford, and all Estate and Organic, wines made by Scott McLeod, and consulted on by Stephane Derencourt now.

Francis Coppola winery is in Sonoma, and uses purchased fruit, and concentrates on the $16 and under market retail.

Kris,

I’m not talking about the Sonoma winery, my experience is with the Rubicon Cask Cabernet and the Captains Reserves. Definitely not the $16 and under market wines.