1945 wines : the real deal ( Mission , Yquem )

A great dinner with friends yesterday at Benelux top restaurant Hof van Cleve . The food , as always , was brilliant . We were very spoiled by the wines too .

The 2007 Corton Charlemagne from JF Coche Dury was mineral , spicy , with salt and apples on the nose . This wine is young but ready and delicious . The 2005 , 2008 and 2010 CC’s are even more concentrated but this one is pure and elegant . No need to wait any longer . Super .

The 2002 Montrachet from DRC was slightly premoxed . Yellow , and butter and caramel on the nose . Got worse after a while .Full bodied . While you would probably not be allowed to return it when you would have ordered this in a restaurant , we thought it was pretty bad and did dismiss it . This wine was bought by me on release and had been in my cellar all those years . Caveat ! And btw , I had another premoxed 2005 Montrachet from DRC not so long ago .

The 2005 Meursault Goutte d’Or from d’Auvenay is fantastic . Dry extract , nuts , super concentration , a wow wine . If you have never tasted a d’Auvenay , you don’t understand what one can achieve with chardonnay . Well , there is chardonnay and there is Lalou Bize Leroy . These are the best dry white wines in the world . It is unfortunate that her prices are now ridiculously expensive , I am fortunate that I still own a lot from the days that they were not .

Then to the reds and we started well with a Richebourg 1985 from the great Henri Jayer . The wine initially suffered from some dust on the nose ( it was not decanted ) but this disappeared quickly. Sweet red fruit , elegance and power combined . Imo , Jayer’s true magic reveals itself in of-vintages like 1980 for example . This wine is a powerhouse , it will evolve effortlessly for another 30 years or so . A privilege to drink this master piece .

Then came the 1945 La Mission Haut Brion . What a wine . Still fresh , with tobacco on the nose , amazingly deep and complex . A sure 100 pointer ( Neal Martin scored this 100 points too , which is rare but I can see why ) . This must have come from a great cool cellar . The complexity is fantastic . Well aged Bordeaux is the real deal .

The 1937 Calon Segur was pure , elegant but with a slightly hollow mid palate taste . It suffered from coming after the 45 Mission , of course .

Then a very pure young wine . Slightly lactic on the nose . Since Jacques brought the wine , I correctly guessed Le Pin .  The 2006 it was . A master piece merlot , very elegant , creamy and deep .

I was really looking for the last 2 wines . The 1945 de Fargues and 1945 Yquem . I had both wines before and thought both were some of the best Sauternes ever made . The de Fargues 45 is very special . Only 3 barrels were made from relatively young vines . Some caramel on the nose , nice light brown color , very long , maybe not as good as the previous de Fargues 45 I had . But on it’s own , a very elegant wine . But the Yquem 45 was in another league . It still maintained it’s intensity , purity , sweetness combined with beautiful acidity . Another 100 pointer wine . As good as it gets . I cannot forget the taste .

Nice. Couldn’t agree more re the d’auvenay whites. Unfortunately, ive blown through my stash.

Beautiful!

Herwig - that was as a good a review and read I have had in awhile. Thanks for those comprehensive, yet concise notes. Also - it needs to be said, “you know how to roll”! (a little jealousy here) [worship.gif]

Well done Herwig.

Very nice report.

I have drunk recently the 2002 Montrachet DRC which was absolutely fantastic.

I agree with you about the Henri Jayer wines. I have drunk a 1984 Echézeaux of Henri Jayer which is probably one of the best of Henri Jayer wines that I have drunk.

1937 is very versatile and of course your 1937 should have come before the 1945 Mission.
I have opened this week 1934 Mission which was not flashy but very pleasant.

1945 Yquem is a very solid Yquem which I love. It is a good idea to put Fargues and Yquem together. I have them in cellar and I could follow your initiative.

It was a great event that you organised.