2013 rose - okay to drink still?

I came across a handful of 2013 Fisher Unity rose bottles at a local liquor store. Knowing this store, I’m pretty sure they were stored well. I know rose is generally meant to be consumed young, so I’m wondering how these might be but I’m no expert.

I have read that rose that is oak aged can be withstand and benefit from a little aging, and I know Fisher aged these in new oak for this vintage. Any thoughts on how these might be? I remember having this particular rose when they were fresh in 2012 and 2013 and know I like the style, so I’m not really asking about the characteristics of the wine… more asking if anyone has thoughts or experience with rose with a few years on them. Such as if they’re likely to be over the hill.

Thanks!

Ask the salesperson about the wine, tell them you’re curious but concerned about buying a two year old rose. See if they offer to take it back if you don’t like it. Otherwise, or to be doubly sure, look it up on cellar tracker for recent reviews.

Wine searcher shows these going for $30-$40, which gets into Tempier territory. Unless deeply discounted I wouldn’t even consider buying.

Depending on the producer and the producer’s style. We have 13 Roses that were dry on release and drinking pretty much the same as they did last year. We also have some 13’s that were off dry last year that still have good fruit character but they are sweet.

If they are reasonable, buy one and try it. If good, go back and buy the rest and store them in your refrigerator till you run out.

I would like to think that many Rosé wines can drink well after 2-3 years, and there are a handful of examples that can endure 10+ years when treated well by the owner. However, more than the age of this wine is it’s oak treatment that concerns me.

New oak on a Rosé? Is this as unusual as I believe it is?

Plus, $30-40 for a Rosé is a little alarming.

It’s probably fine. Buy a bottle and check it out. If it’s over the hill return it

I taught a class on dry rose and the myth perpetuated by those in the industry(ahem) that rose doesn’t age. The roses made via Saignee will usually be more interesting with a little bottle age.

Enjoying at '13 Pradeaux rose tonight. Still going strong.

Drinking a 2012 bedrock rose that’s really good. Out of magnum so that definitely helps of course.

It’s a matter of preference of course, but I wouldn’t worry too much about most roses at the 3 year mark.

This is all very helpful everyone, thank you!! Forgot the reason I posted this… I already bought 4. :slight_smile:

But 2 of which I was thinking of giving as gifts tomorrow, hence my desire to get some input. If the general consensus was that they were most likely done, I was going to just keep them for myself and give them something reliable. This target group is not super discerning… so that combined with the generally positive comments here, sounds like I’m probably okay. I would just pop one tonight and try it, but it’s not cold yet.

I don’t know anything about that particular wine, but good solid rose that most of us drink is usually fine for 2-3 years after release. Sometimes it improves for the first year or two.