Nice Wines with Saturday Lunch

This afternoon a good friend of mine was over burning CDs from tapes of performances by his piano teacher from the 1980’s. Aside from enjoying the music (she was a protoge of Joseph Lehvinne) I made a progressive lunch to enjoy with a few wines. While the recording ended prematurely since my friend brought mainly the wrong kind of recordable media we still had a good time…

I thought it would be fun to compare a couple of wines from the same vineyard and vintage. Unfortunately one was premoxed. With scallops and frisee:

Posted from CellarTracker

After the salad course I served skirt steak with rapini and lentils and a St. Emilion. Honestly I expected the wine to be a plodding drink at best, but it was quite tasty:

• 1997 Château Berliquet - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru #11/7/2009)
    Nose of earth, cherry, smoke, tobacco and minerals. Sweet on the palate, medium bodied with cherries and earth coming to the fore. Finish is clipped with a drying tannin but still enjoyable and worked well with skirt steak. Very surprising as this wine performed quite well for the pedigree. Very good.

Dessert was 21 year old Balvenie. It was a nice finish to the afternoon