TN: Gruaud Larose 28, 53, 59, 75, 78, 79, 81, 82, 85, 86, 90, 95, 96

The Commanderie de Bordeaux Puerto Rico chapter met yesterday to review and enjoy several vintages of Chateau Gruaud Larose. The wines were presented in three flights.

Flight #1 1928, 1953, 1959, 1975, 1979

All the wines in this flight had great color and sheen. They looked alive and it was to be one of those nights in which the wine gods were with us. The three elder wines were in perfect condition. The 1928 was a regal claret with balance, structure, and perfect aromatics. The 1953 still had an echo of sweet fruit with nice acids. The 1959 was more muted but it only suffered in comparison with the 28 and 53. On its own it was also good. The 1975 was dry and a bit austere while the 1979 was another classic claret with Gruaud Larose style. It was interesting that even though there was a 51 year delta between eldest and younger of the wines in this flight there was an uncanny consistency in flavors, aromas, and style. In order of preference the group rated 1953, 1928, 1959, 1979, 1975.

Flight #2 1978, 1981, 1982, 1985, 1986

These wines all reflected their particular vintage. The conversation here drifted to whether the trio of 82,85, and 86 would develop to the level of the 28 and 53 or if the more modern winemaking techniques would develop different wines. The surprise of this flight was the 1981 which was really gorgeous and hedonistic. The 78 was satisfying but uninspiring while the 82,85, and 86 performed as expected. In order of preference the group rated 1986, 1985, 1981, 1982, 1978. Some of us thought that the 82 had a touch of cork taint.

Flight #3 1988, 1989, 1990, 1995, 1996

Again these wines reflected their particular vintages. The 1990 was a joy to drink and extremely elegant. The 1989 was somehow tainted and had an overbearing aroma of peanut butter (anyone can chime on what this can be?). The 1995 Gruaud Larose has to be one of the best wines of the vintage while the 1996 show tons of promise.

Overall this tasting reinforced the incredible quality and value for money offered by this estate. Through the 68 vintages of the wines presented the Chateau presented a unified style and a clear expression of their terroir.

Cheers and thanks for reading.
IMG_5604.pdf (824 KB)
IMG_5603.pdf (868 KB)
IMG_5602.pdf (856 KB)

Sounds like a great tasting, of great wine.
Haven’t had any of the three oldest, but I love the 1986 and 85…Both great, robust wines from Cordier.
-Gruaud Larose, just ahead of Talbot and Meyney. Especially the 86 Cordiers, are build for prolonged cellaring.

Surprised to hear the 81 was so good.

Thanks for fine notes.

Kind regards, Soren.

DUDE!

I had the '64 last night and it was really impressive. Compared quite favorably (albeit different obviously) with a '70 LMHB.

Wow! Thanks for the notes Carlos!

I have an 82, 86, and 90 I’m thinking about opening for a mini GL vertical (way mini compared to yours).

Thoughts on when a good time frame would be?

Have had many 82 GLs, but not the 86 or 90.

Tom, there is no hurry at all with the three vintages you mentioned. In my opinion the 90 is the one to drink now while the 86 and 82 shed the baby fat of the vintages. If you want to open the three together all are giving pleasure at present but will markedly improve over the next 10 years.

Cheers.

Amazing

Now we r talking!!! Alfert grab an '81 or '79!

Find me one, I grab it, you have Ki wear that low cut blouse that I like!

This is hands down one of my top five Chateaux in Bdx.

Very nice, thanks.

I had the '82 Gruaud Larose alongside '82 LLC and '82 Ducru. GL looked majestic.

To me, the 1982 Gruaud Larose is one of the greatest wines made in Bordeaux in the 1980s (though not quite up to, say, 1989 Haut Brion or La Mission). The fact that it didn’t outshine the other wines in the flight in this tasting probably means that it was an off bottle, as suggested in the original post.

Very nice tasting and interesting notes. Ive had some had some of these and Im a big fan of the 90` I can only imagine temp and humidity controlled cellars must be at a premium in PR. Where these all from different people or from one source?

Blake, the wines were sourced from a private cellar and from auction but mostly came from different sources.

Thanks Carlos. What about the cellaring considerations in Puerto Rico? Are there extra special measures that have to be taken?

My situation is different as I operate a craft beer distributor and keep my wines inside our main cooler. Most people have either residential cellars or store at public facilities akin those on the mainland.

Cheers.

CD

Great notes, and fun to read.

It is hard to tell from the labels, but are the older wines chateau bottled or bottled by a negotiant?

No mention of Brett which has been so common for older Cordier vintages.

I have had lots of Cordier Gruaud and I do not think it was every Brett. It was earthy saddle leather wrongly mistaken for poopy brett. We opened a 1966 yesterday afternoon at the Berserkerfest that I have owned for about 35 years and it was a bit over the hill but still good, and definitely no brett.

I’m in this camp too, but then again, check out my signature.

[cheers.gif]