Here's how to pay less than $10 on top-rated wine

That is the worst piece of crap I have read from a link on WB, and considering that I follow the politics forum, that’s saying a lot. Kung Fu Girl, which I have suffered through two or three times, is AWFUL. I tasted Two Buck Chuck single blind against a $10 Cabernet and I picked out the TBC just based on the nose, which was like a burning 1967 Jaguar. Yes, I smelled one once. I tasted both and the $10 Cab was multiples better.

I heard that Mylar Gift Bags pair really well with Kung Fu Girl Riesling.

Coming from someone who’s young and learning about wine, this is the type of response that drives me away from wanting to be part of the wine enthusiast community.

I’ve had that Kung Fu Girl rieslling, calling it “awful” makes me laugh to be honest. The adjectives around here really get me. When I think of “awful” I think of undrinkable, dump it down the drain, use it for cooking etc. Kung Fu Girl was not in that category.

You had it “two or three times” so apparently it wasn’t bad enough that prevented you from trying it more than once? Yet you “suffered” through it…sounds like it’s comparable to a trip to the DMV…

Sorry, just a really negative post that seems like a total hyperbole to me.

That article is NOT written for anyone on this forum. It’s for the general consumer, it’s for people who “only drink white wine”.

I don’t think Kung Fu Girl is bad, and I bet you’re surprised to hear that from me. I admit that I am not as critical about whites, but for $10 this is an easy buy for non-critical drinking. My wife likes it. I will grab the Selbach-Oster QBA at $15 all day long over the Kung Fu Girl, but I just don’t think it’s awful. It’s an 80-84 pointer.

Actually - this article makes a lot of sense. You really have to generalize when you are trying to make a point in 3-4 minutes - and these guys did a good job.

Now, I don’t follow the “second cheapest wine on the menu” thingy - but I am a big, big believer in trying off the wall white and red varietals for alternative bargains.

I went to a concert the other night at a small jazz club, and usually just order a couple beers, but they had a wonderful Gascogne Blanc on the menu for $22 - I just couldn’t say no.

+1

Don’t let Jay offend you John - we have an unwritten rule in our household, and it seems to hold true here on this board. When you reach a certain age, you are allowed to say anything you want, anytime you want. When I was younger I used to tell myself that I couldn’t wait to reach my grandfather’s age, so I can say anything I want, insult anyone I want, with no consequences. Jay has reached that illustrious position.

If Jay can drive anyone from anything via an internet post they need to learn a bit about perserverence.

Article is dreck. I could author something akin during a bowel movement.

UH OH

Now we all know Jay can be abrasive, not a big deal but Doc Levine is a real gentlemen so if hes saying your sensitive then you need to grow a pair

For the price Kung Fu Girl is decent. I too found Jay’s take pretty hyperbolic and pompous.

Jay’s profile pic is him drinking on Park Ave, right? Park Ave mofos (even though he’s solidly B&T) can’t be bothered with Kung Fu Riesling. Were it not for old stodgy white guys on this board who weed out newbies with minimal knowledge/experience about wine, we’d all be comparing notes on $10 bottles, or complaining about the price of Oregon Chardonnay.

I’m not offended at all. I am not fond or partial of Kung Fu Girl…

I just found his post a really bad representation of what this forum (I think) is supposed to be about. I’m clearly new around here, I don’t know the guy, I don’t know his situation, experience, palate or personal preference but there’s something to be gained from most tasting notes and opinions when crafted objectively regardless of the taster.

If you can’t articulate what’s wrong/flawed/bad about a $10 wine and all you have to say is “it’s awful” that doesn’t help anyone.

Tasting notes, good or bad, for a $1,000 bottle or $10 bottle are helpful and constructive for me and others on this forum.

I hope the comment about weeding out newbies is a partial joke. That just seems silly to deliberately intend to detour young people away from fine wine. This board is one of the most valuable resources I’ve found. I’m a huge fanatic of wine and depend on this place for a lot of info. I’d think we’d want to do whatever we can to educate people on wine.

By definition I’d say that’s not possible. Your opinion is just that, and it’s subjective. A sum of opinions might start to get objective.

Also, is this the first forum you try on the internet? If one poster, or even 10 for that matter, has a style you don’t like or something, it just makes you want to discard the whole forum entirely? That’s pretty sensitive indeed…

Alain

I am sorry to have offended you. I did not want to bother with a full tasting note on the Kung Fu Girl, but if you really want my explanation of why it was awful, it’s quite simple. I found the back of the palate to be so bitter that once it got past the tip of my tongue, I didn’t want to swallow it. The nose was Ok, but the palate did not match, which is not easy to do when the nose drives taste so much. As to trying it more than once, I always do that before coming to a firm negative opinion, in case I just got a bad bottle, was developing a cold, or was just having a bad day. I suggest that you do the same.

As to my general comment on the article being crap, the word that jumps out at me is vapid. If the best be could do for under $10 wine is KFG and TBC, he should do some work before putting pen to paper. I have under $10 in my cellar that are worth recommending and so do a lot of people here. It just annoys me that lazy writers go out and suggest bad wine and think they are doing people a service.

If I were to criticize my own post, I would say “You lazy bum. All you do is trash someone else’s article but offered nothing useful in exchange.” So maybe I will start a thread to that end, but for now my personal favorite under $10 wine is Borsao. The basic bottom level. Not the Tres Picos, which is fine but is over $10. The base level can usually be had for $7 or less by the case and I think it is a very good wine without considering the price, and is the best bargain I know in the under $10 category. It is also widely available and if the author of the article had done a tiny bit of leg work, he would have fond it.

The general vibe of this forum lends posters a free hand to feel as if they’re only posting for other, regular posters. Completely forgotten is the viewing audience that dwarfs posters exponentially.
Jay was just being Jay, The Berserker.
Brandon called him out for the non-Berserker readers.
They’re both “right” from their perspective.

Kung Fu Girl is a perfectly acceptable off dry Riesling for people new to wine, looking for a bargain.

The red in the vid is available here, often on sale for €2.99. I have recommended it to NON-geek folks, as something a bit better than most supermarket plonk.

Under $10? It should be waaaay under.

Yes it is, but anyone who suggests Charles Shaw shouldn’t ever be allowed to write another article on wine.

The best comment in the “comments section”:

“retired4good 15 hours ago
Drink whatever tastes good to you.”

I tried Kung Fu Girl once and didn’t care for it (about $12 here). The “wine guy” at the store suggested Clean Slate Riesling ($9) and I liked it better. At the time, I didn’t pay attention to where it was from (Mosel), but that probably was the difference for me. I tend to prefer Mosel Rieslings in general.

Interesting, as I am more critical of whites than I am of red wine. I feel it takes a much better wine maker to make excellent whites than someone does with reds.

I’ve never tried Kung Fu Girl because I hate the ugly label and the Asian stereotypes it portrays.