San Jose Mercury News: "Taste-Off: The best canned wines -- and the plonk"

Spotted this article this morning and thought it was worth posting the link:

Taste-Off: The best canned wines – and the plonk

I see the Underwood cans all over the place but I’ve never tried one of the wines. Field Recordings in Paso makes some pretty interesting and good wines for the money but I didn’t know they’ve started doing canned wines - might be worth checking out one of them.

One thing I find interesting is they say that 250ml = one serving . . .but that’s a little over 8 oz., which seems a bit ‘high’ to be considered a single serving, no?

Curious for your take on this comment.

I hadn’t noticed that but I went back and spotted it. Perhaps it’s because that particular product is only 6.5% ABV? Plenty of beers in 12-oz. bottles or cans are higher than that. Wonder if it’s stated as one serving on the can. I see elsewhere in the article it mentions a 375ml can as enough to share for two - a little over 12 oz. total to share, not unreasonable - and 500ml as “just over two servings”.

A quick Google search revealed that the flipflop cans are 250ml and they’re clearly labeled as two servings:

No evident note on number of servings on the Fiction Red, in a 500ml can - but at 14.9%, you wouldn’t want to overdo it:

Nothing noted on this 12-oz. can of Underwood:

My concern is that the contents of a metal can will quickly equilibrate with the ambient temperature of its surroundings. Glass will provide a minimal resistance to sudden temperature changes in the bottle’s environment.

If one could guarantee that the wine was shipped and stored under a stable, safe temperature range, then all is well.

There’s no reason a can shouldn’t be a good package for wine…impervious to light and air.

Since wine in a can is meant to be consumed pretty much right away, some temperature variation would not be as much of a concern as for wines in bottle that are meant to age. You wouldn’t want it to get really hot, but I’d guess that there would be at least some temperature control with shipping (at least for longer distances) and storage as with many other food/beverage items headed to market. Seems like that would be adequate for a “drink it now” wine.

What’ll they think of next? pepsi

I tasted at Field Recordings and purchased the Rosé and Chardonnay in cans

So…is it important to store these cans lying on their sides???
Tom