Simi Winery's 140th anniv party

Simi turned 140 and broke out some oldies dating back to the 1930s. Highlights for me were the 1935 Zinfandel and 1941 Cabernet. The '78 Cab was great, too, but almost seemed kinda young. lol Wines from the '35 Zin and Cab up to 2002 Chardonnay from a mag.
Best of the bunch was a “mystery” white port. Non-vintage label and there was no paperwork, but they said it was from the 1930s. Little nutty, very slightly oxidized. Had this one with some chocolate and strawberries though a cigar would be the way to go.
Definitely older than any I’ve experienced before. They were great hosts, too.
simi140thport160523.jpg
simi140thcab160523.jpg

Bob, that’s awesome!!! What were the '35 Zin and 41 Cab like?

Yep - would love to hear some brief notes on those two wines!

Sounds like an amazing experience!

Fantastic!

I’m sure that was a very interesting party!

'35 Zin was excellent. Good structure, deep flavors, not oxidized, not mushroomy. Of course, would never have guessed it was a Zin at this stage. '35 & '41 cabs were kind of stinky, but later tried the '41 again and the nose blew off and it had similar characteristics as the Zin. I would match any of these with a beef tenderloin. They were definitely drinking well enough to have a bottle with dinner.
Moved up to the '80s Cabs to have with the pizza though to match the richness.
'02 Chard was butterscotchy as happens with old ones.
I would pretty much kill for a bottle of that port.

If I’m still around for the 150th I’ll be sure to go back!

Wow, that’s awesome! Storage is obviously impeccable on that 35 zin. Deep flavors and good structure - that’s great stuff!!

Would love to have tried that.

Btw…any pics of that zin?? Would love to see the color…or at least the bottle!

Doesn’t look a day over 80!
Simi35zin.jpg

Ha ha! Awesome. Thanks for posting!

Any idea of the grape varieties of the “white port?” Or how long in wood?

They said any paperwork on the port was lost long ago and they had no idea of vintage(s), except sometime in the '30s, grapes, or vyds.