Willamette / Columbia gorge w kids??

Hi everyone

I’m going to be heading to Portland for a conference (pycon) and bringing the family along. :astonished: We’ve got an 8 and a 4 year old and we’d like to see maybe we can visit a few wineries. But we’re wondering if there’s any that might have a lawn or something other than a small tasting room, where there kids can play for a few minutes while we taste. Or any other recommendations on how people might have done this.

Thanks
Neal

Belle Pente has geese, goats, sheep, and Scottish cattle that might interest the kids. The animals are fenced in, and I trust the children will stay on their own side. By appointment.

Penner-Ash and Domaine Drouhin have large grounds, and regular tasting room hours.

Argyle has a kids play area, but nothing else of interest other than the sparkling wines.

P Hickner

Thanks! Also I was wondering if anyone know s if there’s any wineries that have a restaurant attached? That might be a way to combine a meal with a visit

Thanks again!

Winery/restaurant combinations are against zoning regulations in much of the Willamette Valley. A near option in the Dundee Bistro across the street from Argyle, and in the same building as the Ponzi tasting bar. Red Hills market is a good lunch stop at the same corner, and there are more tasting rooms just a block or two in either direction.

P Hickner

Here’s a link that may assist…

Todd Hamina has a white van that says Free Candy on the side.

Depending on how far down the gorge you’re going, I’d consider Hood River for pFriem beer and lunch. The tasting room has a small play area for kids and is across from a park and small beach. I’ve got twin 3 yr old boys, 9, 12 yr old girls and managed to keep all of them happy.

I know Stoller provides kids with their own choice of juices or milk while you taste, or at least they have in the past.

New shag carpet too.

We were in Oregon last August and did a quick pit stop in Willamette. Everywhere we stopped was really quite welcoming to us with our children. Obviously places with larger outdoor areas and less formal tastings (in a non-group setting) were the least intrusive. Places like Stoller, Penner Ash, Sokol Blosser all had outdoor areas and you could bring a picnic. Stoller in particular had kids running all over the place outside on a Sunday afternoon with a tire swing and some people playing catch on the big lawn area.

Also, the iPad is a magical thing.

Check this out in Mac. https://www.evergreenmuseum.org

Does that mean you actually have to taste when you visit?

RT

Just get a 12 pack of Voodoo doughnuts, your kids will be occupied just fine, at least until they puke. Go to the Voodoo doughnuts on NE Davis so you don’t have to wait in an hour-long line.