Germany 2015 really that great

Is this genuinely a once in a lifetime vintage to jump on or is it just a very good vintage

We have had a bunch of once in a lifetime vintages. I am buying, but not as if it’s my only chance.

Based on what we’ve seen so far, it is safe to assume that it is an excellent vintage. A genuinely once-in-a-lifetime vintage? Well, I think that depends on a) how long you’ve been around for, b) how long you intend to be around for, c) whether you’re buying or selling, d) whether you believe in once-in-a-lifetime vintages :slight_smile:

For me 2001 was the last “once in a lifetime” vintage. If this is as good as 2001…I’m buying all I can get my hands on.

From your keyboard to the Wine Gods ears…

Alan, all I can tell you is that I’m in for 3 cases: JJ Prum Graacher Himmelreich Spatlese, JJ Prum Graacher Himmelreich Auslese, and a lower priced Mosel Spatlese. Might grab half a case of JJ Christoffer Erdener Treppchen Spatlese too. That’s about triple what my normal “good” vintage purchase is. The last vintage I bought more than a combined case from all the Mosel producers we drink was 2011. (although I do kinda wish I bought more 2013)

2011, 2012, and 2013 were all pretty good vintages too. If 2015 does live up to the hype, I’ll be happy as a pig in sheeyat. If 2015 is only as good as 2011 or 2013, I’ll be merely smiling.

Just remember that the Prum Ausleses need 20 years to shed the sulphur and morph the sugar into something sublime…

Many think that way Odd. I don’t.

Being 65 years old and just having bought a single bottle of the 2014 Auslese, I wish I were in your camp. :slight_smile:

I don’t know…I’ve had the 2001 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel multiple times in the last decade and it’s been nothing but ethereal every time. Its a wine I wish I could buy in quantity again.

The Prüm sulphur is not a thing, at least for the last 3-4 vintages (a significant amount of which I drank on release). It is, for whatever reason, still a common trope about the wines. I will say the sponti character on JJ Prüm is quite distinctive though.

I buy riesling every vintage. I’ll wait to decide for myself whether this is the second coming of 2001 before I load up.

Nor do I.

Just remember that the Prum Ausleses need 20 years to shed the sulphur and morph the sugar into something sublime…

Perhaps not, but I would never, never turn down a 20 year old Prum Auslese.

True.

Thanks for input

I am only interested in trockens, maybe one day ill get into other styles but for now its just dry versions for me. Will these be drinkable early ? as everyone knows i love young red wines and am not a big fan of older but in good german wines i actually liked older bottles, ive never had good quality young though so would a young high quality trocken be fresh vibrant with strong acid and minerality ? is it OK to assume that the relationship between young and old German wines is the same as exists in other varietals ?

It is interesting that most discussion about German Riesling centers on JJ Prum. Are their products so superior that one should look no further?

No, they are one of the top producers, but far from the only one.

Prum is outstanding and pretty easy to get. But there are other producers that are equal (and to many people superior). Some (e.g. Egon Muller) are amazing, but really expensive, and tougher to acquire.

Klaus Peter Keller is definitely also a top producer and he thinks 2015 are the best he ever made… I don’t know how difficult it is to find , but it’s worth the effort , I was told .

And that’s 10-15 years in a row. :wink:

Superior in that what you get for the price is hard to beat. In short, they’re the best QPR in Mosel IMO (and many other’s opinion too).