TN: 2011 Talbott Sleepy Hollow Vineyard Chardonnay

Been lurking around for a few months, thought I’d contribute since I enjoy reading what you all have to say.

Upon pouring there were floral notes (acacia? honeysuckle?), some muted citrus notes of mandarin orange and key lime and an unfortunate strong taste of bitter almond on the finish. However, over the course of the next couple of hours it opened up quite nicely. The citrus flavors remained constant but the bitter almond on the finish turned into a subtle white truffle which was delicious. 91 points

Chardonnay has always been something of a mine field for me. I’ve had ones that I love (various Kistlers, Leeuwin Artist Series, some great White Burgs, etc.), but have also been face-to-face with a very well-known (and expensive) Napa label’s proprietor feeling like she had just smacked me in the face with a 2x4 dipped in movie theater butter.

I’ll shut up for now-thanks for this wonderful platform and for keeping a wine salesman interested in wine and not just selling boxes.

Welcome Chris!!! I love the analogy of a 2x4 dipped in butter.

Chard has been a minefield for me as well but I’m getting there. While I tend towards no oak and no malo, increasingly I’m able to handle and even enjoy a bit of both.

I had the 2015 Talbott Logan ‘Sleep Hollow Vyd’ Chardonnay [Santa Lucia Highlands] last night with shrimp scampi and cellentani noodles. For a corporate/supermarket wine it’s ok, reliable enough. It is big at 15.25% abv, and you’ll feel the first glass. It’s too low acid and plump to make a good pair for a zippy crustacean dish though. Closed with a screwtop. I enjoyed it but wouldn’t go out of my way to repurchase; I don’t pick up much difference between this and the mass market gluggers like Bogle Chard. I should consider myself fortunate that I have pedestrian tastes in CA chard. This gets a B- or so in my ledger.

It is a shame- Joe Davis did such wonderful things with this fruit for so many years - hard to see what Gallo does with it now.

I had the 2015 Talbott Logan ‘Sleep Hollow Vyd’ Chardonnay [Santa Lucia Highlands] last night with shrimp scampi and cellentani noodles. For a corporate/supermarket wine it’s ok, reliable enough. It is big at 15.25% abv, and you’ll feel the first glass. It’s too low acid and plump to make a good pair for a zippy crustacean dish though. Closed with a screwtop. I enjoyed it but wouldn’t go out of my way to repurchase; I don’t pick up much difference between this and the mass market gluggers like Bogle Chard. I should consider myself fortunate that I have pedestrian tastes in CA chard. This gets a B- or so in my ledger.

Good description of this wine.

Did Sam Balderas retire sometime around then?

Sleepy Hollow fruit, in the hands of Balderas, or our very own Joe Davis, is pretty much at the apogee of New World wine.

It’s a terrible tragedy that the vineyard was sold to Evil Incorporated.