TN: Drew PinotNoir Estate '14...(short/boring)

Tried this ystrday w/ John:

1. Drew PinotNoir Estate Field Slctns/MendoCnty (13.3%; InauguralRelease; 20% whole-cluster; 30% new Fr.oak; Drk: 2016-2028: JD) 2014: Med.dark color; strong spicy/bright cherry/cherry pie/PN/spicy/cinammon/bit herbal some peppery/w-c rather perfumed nose; quite tart/tangy/lean/grapefruity light earthy rather pinched/eviscerated/tight/nervous flavor w/ light tangy tannins; med.long very tart/tangy/lean/citric wirey/nervous/eviscerated bright cherry/PN/cherry pie spicy/cinammon/peppery/w-c some earthy/savory/mineral finish w/ modest mean/bitey tannins; lots of interesting things in here but not a lot of pleasure right now; rather pricey at $60.00.

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. This is the first release of a Pinot from their Estate vnyd up above Elk. I think the wine probably has a lot of potential but it was very tight on the palate & didn’t offer up much pleasure now.
    JasonDrew is one of the annointed few in the IPoB crowd. This Estate PN is not at all what I would call “balanced” unless you focus only on the alcohol level. It was not very pleasant to taste, but may develop into something really good…it’s a gamble. I’d rather rely on balance, rather than screechy acidity, to take a wine out 10 yrs or more.
    I also had the Fog-Eater and the BaloVnyd Pinots this weekend. They were much more pleasurable to drink, but not all that special. I’m finding that Jason’s Pinots are not all that different stylistically. Maybe that’s the price you have to pay to make a IPoB wine…though we’re told that “balanced” Pinots show the terroir much more readily.
    OTOH…I like Jason’s Syrahs very much. His Albarino is one of the best around. And his Viognier is one of the best/most interesting in Calif.
    Tom

Interesting note, Tom, as I had a 2014 Drew Morning Dew Ranch over the weekend. I was previously unfamiliar with this producer. The Morning Dew was opposite your Estate showing - open, delicious, and ready to go.

We Deadheads have a hard time resisting any of these Morning Dew wines, you know.

Lots of potential though young vines and a young wine. I still don’t quite understand why so many in the IPOB, AFWE crowd release wines so young. One of the main reasons I will be pouring 2013 at this years AV PN fest this weekend. I do 18-20 months in bottle for my 3 main Pinots as you only get one chance to make a first impression. That extra bottle age is something we have done from the start to its built in now.

Jason and Molly grow and make great wines just give them some time to come around. The 2007’s are stellar right now.