High Quality Sangiovese in California?

A 2-part question: Are there such beast(s)? And, what are their names? TIA

p.s. I should have said “from” California.

Yes, Vino Noceto.

I’ve never had a Cal-Ital that tasted like the same variety from Italy. It might be enjoyable in its own right, but it doesn’t taste Italian. And when the price point is either equal to or higher than the Italian version, it’s an easy choice to go with authenticity.

I have been curious about the Castelli Winery. Their source for Sangiovese is in a warm part of the RRV, while the estate Nebbiolo is grown in the Green Valley.

I don’t know about the Sangiovese, but Castelli’s estate vineyards are farmed via the Fukuoka school of thought. I have been interested in trying out some of the wines, but I haven’t yet.

I believe the larger Californian effort to make delicious Sangiovese died around the late '90s or 2000. Shafer’s “Firebreak” was supposedly good, but I can’t imagine that it resembled Italian wines in any way.

Perhaps you should search Mendocino, SBC, and Shenandoah?

http://www.castellivineyards.com/currentReleases.php

+1

I had a fantastic one a few vintages ago from Arnot-Roberts, but have not seen it since.

Ojai makes a very good one. Not in the Italian style though as it shows generous CA fruit.

What I’ve had commercially tends to be either too ripe or wimpy. I’ve had some really impressive barrel samples that ended up going into blends and some non-commercial wines (some of the examples of both I’ve had a hand in) that give me insight. Basically, with the right site, a winemaker who makes wines with a light touch, picking a little bit later than he/she would with another variety, can make something quite good. Greatly increased flavor development, without being jammy at all, and still having really good acid and aromatics. Always what goes by the “Brunello clone”.

I like Favero. It’s a little on the AFWE side and is very food friendly.

I like the Miner Family Sangiovese.

Unti is doing some nice things with the grape in Dry Creek Valley. The also make a blend (Sagromigno) with montepulciano that I love.

In a much bigger, oakier style, there’s Seghesio. They even have some sangiovese grosso, the Brunello clone, that they bottle separately. I’m not keen on their style – I think they’d be better if they dialed everything back – but depending on your preferences that might be worth checking out.

Ferrari Carano’s Siena is good, too. We opened a 1992 last month and it was mui bueno!

Also, I once had a pretty delish Silverado Sangiovese.

I see that Tom Hill has posted enthusiastically today on the Jacuzzi sangioveses.

Gargiulo Vineyards Aprile. Hands down.

Not a straight sangio though but more of a sangio dominated blend.

Stopman makes a decent one as does Clifton.

Pedroncelli has a $15 Sangiovese that over delivers for the price.

Tom

Amphora, also in Dry Creek, occasionally makes a Sangiovese. Of the limited amount of non-Italian Sangiovse I’ve tried, this has definitely come off as the most Italian.

With a little age on them…Pride and Biale. Both do small production Sangiovese.

Had a fantastic Shafer Firebreak once that had a few years of age on it that was fantastic, but had several before that where it was just ok. Early Ferrari Carano’s were also pretty decent but the ones I’ve tasted over the past few years, just ok. I had a lot of excitement initially for the Cal-Ital movement but it dissipated over time and after Shafer pulled up their sangio vines. It might be time to revisit, and I’m somewhat curious as what Oregon is doing with Nebbiolo.

+1