Has Anyone Ever "Doctored" a Wine?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Mel Hill

#51 Post by Mel Hill » May 14th, 2016, 8:14 am

When my wife hosts book club I like to add some melted butter to the Rombauer Chardonnay.

Ron Kramer

#52 Post by Ron Kramer » May 14th, 2016, 8:17 am

Anton D wrote:I've taken crap red and added peat moss, vanilla, pepper, put in a little liquid smoke, a dash of Chanel No.
5, some green food coloring, and some sandalwood incense.

It passed as a '29 Latour, a wine as pure as nature itself.
One of the funniest episodes on Northern Exposure
http://eiderdownpress.com/A_Dash_of_Chanel_No.html

Joe B
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Has Anyone Ever "Doctored" a Wine?

#53 Post by Joe B » October 13th, 2018, 2:45 pm

I just doctored my first wine. I may even try something else but so far I added just a bit of sugar. I opened the 2013 Chimney Rock Arete. Paid about $60 for the bottle. It was a bit weak, thin and lacking of much fruit at all. Figured I would try just a very small amount of sugar. Not sure it helped but.... Next I may try a little fruit. I have some raspberries, blackberries, strawberries and a few other fruits. Just going to try a small dash.
J W@ll @ce
WOTY
2009 Shafer Hillside Select 98
2013 Realm To-Kalon 97

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by John Morris » October 13th, 2018, 4:00 pm

Joe B wrote:
October 13th, 2018, 2:45 pm
I just doctored my first wine. I may even try something else but so far I added just a bit of sugar. I opened the 2013 Chimney Rock Arete. Paid about $60 for the bottle. It was a bit weak, thin and lacking of much fruit at all. Figured I would try just a very small amount of sugar. Not sure it helped but.... Next I may try a little fruit. I have some raspberries, blackberries, strawberries and a few other fruits. Just going to try a small dash.
Enough of half measures. Get some mulling spices, add them and simmer it.
"Cream is not the only bovine product that rises in a bull market." --Justin Hibbard -- @hibbard

"Facebook is a company started by a teen in his dorm room to rank the hotness of Harvard students that has today grown into the market leader in the field of apologizing for privacy violations."--Matt Levine, Bloomberg

etomasi

#55 Post by etomasi » October 13th, 2018, 4:06 pm

I've tried some salt in 1-2 wines to see how it affects bitterness. I've also added some sugar to couple undrinkable low/zero dosage champagnes.
---
Eric Tomasi
CT: Ericindc

Dan Kravitz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by Dan Kravitz » October 13th, 2018, 5:15 pm

The only non-wine additives I remember using (they may be others I don't remember) are raspberries and strawberries in sparkling wines and even sometimes Champagne. This is very highly recommended with young and/or neutral bubblies, especially in spring and summer.

Thread drift: However I often blend wines at home. Your White Burg just touched with premox? A dash of good fresh Macon or cool climate California Chard can turn a drinking chore into a drinking pleasure. 1er Cru red Burg a little long in the tooth? A few drops of young Bourgogne can save the day. That really good basic Appellation Bordeaux Chateau that it turns out is tired at ten years? There are other uses for entry-level Argentine Malbec and Chilean Carmenere, but this could be a good one.

Heresy, heresy, I know, I know. You can burn me at the stake later.

Dan Kravitz
swillmaster - ITB

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by John Morris » October 13th, 2018, 8:54 pm

Dan Kravitz wrote:
October 13th, 2018, 5:15 pm
The only non-wine additives I remember using (they may be others I don't remember) are raspberries and strawberries in sparkling wines and even sometimes Champagne. This is very highly recommended with young and/or neutral bubblies, especially in spring and summer.

Thread drift: However I often blend wines at home. Your White Burg just touched with premox? A dash of good fresh Macon or cool climate California Chard can turn a drinking chore into a drinking pleasure. 1er Cru red Burg a little long in the tooth? A few drops of young Bourgogne can save the day. That really good basic Appellation Bordeaux Chateau that it turns out is tired at ten years? There are other uses for entry-level Argentine Malbec and Chilean Carmenere, but this could be a good one.

To the contrary, you've inspired me.
"Cream is not the only bovine product that rises in a bull market." --Justin Hibbard -- @hibbard

"Facebook is a company started by a teen in his dorm room to rank the hotness of Harvard students that has today grown into the market leader in the field of apologizing for privacy violations."--Matt Levine, Bloomberg

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by John Morris » October 13th, 2018, 9:03 pm

Rereading this thread inspires me to try something I considered 10 years or so ago. I was curious if I could approximate a 100-point Parker wine.

I figured I'd start with something pretty extracted, with a good deal of tannin, but without a signature flavor profile. Perhaps a good cru bourgeois Bordeaux. Perhaps a $40 Argentine malbec. I would then experiment with additions of:

* creme de cassis
* creme de cacao
* Dr Pepper or Coke
* vodka (depending on whether or how much creme de cassis I'd added)

All suggestions for alternative base wines or other additions welcome!

NED VALOIS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#59 Post by NED VALOIS » October 13th, 2018, 9:24 pm

One guy in a past wine group I was in added Vodka to Cab & put it in a blender, not so good result !
He made up for it by also serving a Petrus.

Mel Knox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#60 Post by Mel Knox » October 15th, 2018, 9:50 am

Years ago I ordered 100 cases of 1972 Chorey Cote de Beaune from Tollot Beaut on a direct import...In other words,no sending it back. The wine was not attractive on arrival, As a joke, I added a little raspberry wine to a bottle and poured it for people but then the store owner's wife tasted it, went ballistic over how great it was, and sold 16 cases to her friends before I could say a word.....I never told anybody until now. Fortunately the wine recovered from travel shock and the wine was great and a great value.
ITB

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by John Morris » October 15th, 2018, 10:01 am

Mel - Plainly, I should tap your expertise for my experiment.

Markus S

#62 Post by Markus S » October 15th, 2018, 10:04 am

Ron Kramer wrote:
May 14th, 2016, 8:17 am
Anton D wrote:I've taken crap red and added peat moss, vanilla, pepper, put in a little liquid smoke, a dash of Chanel No.
5, some green food coloring, and some sandalwood incense.

It passed as a '29 Latour, a wine as pure as nature itself.
One of the funniest episodes on Northern Exposure
http://eiderdownpress.com/A_Dash_of_Chanel_No.html
Link doesn't work...grrr....
$ _ € ® e . k @

dougwilder

#63 Post by dougwilder » October 15th, 2018, 12:03 pm

Does it count putting ice cubes in warm 3 day old Rose?
itb

Joe B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#64 Post by Joe B » October 15th, 2018, 12:40 pm

Just FYI. The sugar did not help. Nor did a very small amount of “squeezed” raspberry juice.
J W@ll @ce
WOTY
2009 Shafer Hillside Select 98
2013 Realm To-Kalon 97

M@tt G.

#65 Post by M@tt G. » October 15th, 2018, 1:18 pm

John Morris wrote:
October 13th, 2018, 9:03 pm

* creme de cassis
I knew someone who would add a splash of this to cheap jug wine... both reds and whites.
G3y3r

john stimson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#66 Post by john stimson » October 15th, 2018, 2:02 pm

I don't doctor wines, but I've nursed a large number.

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#67 Post by Anton D » October 15th, 2018, 2:07 pm

john stimson wrote:
October 15th, 2018, 2:02 pm
I don't doctor wines, but I've nursed a large number.
[winner.gif]

I've made love to a tonic and gin. Or, tried.... [smack.gif]
Anton Dotson

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#68 Post by Jim Stewart » October 16th, 2018, 10:54 am

Dan Kravitz wrote:
October 13th, 2018, 5:15 pm
. . . However I often blend wines at home. Your White Burg just touched with premox? A dash of good fresh Macon or cool climate California Chard can turn a drinking chore into a drinking pleasure. 1er Cru red Burg a little long in the tooth? A few drops of young Bourgogne can save the day. That really good basic Appellation Bordeaux Chateau that it turns out is tired at ten years? There are other uses for entry-level Argentine Malbec and Chilean Carmenere, but this could be a good one.

Dan Kravitz
Dan, that's what happens when you spend so much time in Cathars country ! -Jim
Thoughts of a dry brain in a dry season.

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#69 Post by J a y H a c k » October 16th, 2018, 12:26 pm

I recently blended a cheap red Bourgogne with some Cali Zinfandel and some Riesling, all of which were left over from the night before, and brought it to a tailgate where there was a guy who always pours 12 ounces of the expensive wine I normally bring and told him it was a special wine I brought just for him. He loved it. Does that count?
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

Josh Grossman

#70 Post by Josh Grossman » October 16th, 2018, 1:26 pm

Anton D wrote:
May 13th, 2016, 9:45 pm
Jeremy Holmes wrote:I know of a winemaker down here who bought a lot of '82 Bordeaux (mainly 1st growths) in the early 90's. He thought the wines didn't have quite enough acidity so he dosed each bottle up with a little extra acid and re-corked.
I dosed up some wine with acid, once, but I didn't recork

It was Wente Grey Reisling, on Asilomar Beach, but I Digress.
I dosed a Howell Mountain Cab with acid one time and it did seem to enhance all aspects of the wine. I'm pretty sure I could see the future in the reflection of the wine, experienced ego death, and could see other people dancing through completely opaque surfaces--but only when the heart beat in the chest I was laying upon. The nose switched between being in blueberry fields on top of mountains in Maine to being able to smell visual fractals (I know that doesn't seem possible--but all my senses combined into one). The finish seemed to last for two weeks--but I wasn't real sure time was real. Oh wait, are you guys talking about the pH scale? neener
Last edited by Josh Grossman on October 16th, 2018, 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gray G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#71 Post by Gray G » October 16th, 2018, 1:26 pm

J a y H a c k wrote:
October 16th, 2018, 12:26 pm
I recently blended a cheap red Bourgogne with some Cali Zinfandel and some Riesling, all of which were left over from the night before, and brought it to a tailgate where there was a guy who always pours 12 ounces of the expensive wine I normally bring and told him it was a special wine I brought just for him. He loved it. Does that count?
hahaha....classic!
so much time, so little wine, Albanista G r i e v e

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#72 Post by Anton D » October 16th, 2018, 1:36 pm

Josh Grossman wrote:
October 16th, 2018, 1:26 pm
Anton D wrote:
May 13th, 2016, 9:45 pm
Jeremy Holmes wrote:I know of a winemaker down here who bought a lot of '82 Bordeaux (mainly 1st growths) in the early 90's. He thought the wines didn't have quite enough acidity so he dosed each bottle up with a little extra acid and re-corked.
I dosed up some wine with acid, once, but I didn't recork

It was Wente Grey Reisling, on Asilomar Beach, but I Digress.
I dosed a Howell Mountain Cab with acid one time and it did seem to enhance all aspects of the wine. I'm pretty sure I could see the future in the reflection of the wine, experienced ego death, and could see other people dancing through completely opaque surfaces--but only when the heart beat in the chest I was laying upon. The nose switched between being in blueberry fields on top of mountains in Maine to beings able to smell visual fractals (I know that doesn't seem possible--but all my senses combined into one). The finish seemed to last for two weeks--but I wasn't real sure time was real. Oh wait, are you guys talking about the pH scale? neener
Your post was art incarnate.
Anton Dotson

Mel Knox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#73 Post by Mel Knox » October 16th, 2018, 7:04 pm

Did they ever publish Rudy s recipes?? That could save me a lot of money.
ITB

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#74 Post by Jay Miller » October 17th, 2018, 1:57 pm

Corey N. wrote:
May 13th, 2016, 9:33 am
PaulMills wrote:I know a guy who puts salted peanuts in his Sauternes.
Did you ever try it? I'm genuinely interested?

I know people put salt in coffee to smooth out the bitter edges...recall trying it once and liking it, but haven't tried it since.
Huh, what do you know? This works. I tried it on the lousy office coffee.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

A. So
GCC Member
GCC Member

#75 Post by A. So » October 17th, 2018, 3:19 pm

We once approximated an Etonnant M. Victor Mk10 by blending a bottle of 10 Chetillons and Reserve Oubliée. In the blind tasting, the bootleg blend won.
エaイdドrリiアaンn (93 pts.)

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#76 Post by John Morris » October 18th, 2018, 10:47 am

Mel Knox wrote:
October 16th, 2018, 7:04 pm
Did they ever publish Rudy s recipes?? That could save me a lot of money.
I think I asked Don Cornwell once and he said no. If they had been put in evidence, they'd be in the public record. I guess that wasn't necessary, and perhaps the government didn't want to let out the secrets.

So far as I know, there was no protective order for trade secrets, though it would have made an interesting test case if Rudy had applied for one.

Mel Knox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#77 Post by Mel Knox » October 18th, 2018, 1:23 pm

John,
I bet Maureen has them.....
ITB

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#78 Post by David Glasser » October 18th, 2018, 5:04 pm

Were Rudy's wines really that good? Or perhaps the better question is whether they were reasonable facsimiles of the wines they were purported to be. No one had a baseline of known true bottles to compare to, and when Rudy served them himself he brought them out after everyone was already well liquored up. I suspect the con succeeded on factors other than the fakes approximating the tastes and aromas of the originals.

etomasi

#79 Post by etomasi » October 21st, 2018, 6:39 pm

Well, after a tasting at my house last night I mixed some left overs into a half bottle for tonight. Drinking it now. Not bad.
Mix of 25% of 2013 Patricia Green Freedom Hill, 50% of 2002 Lafarge Pommard Les Pezerolles, and 25% 1993 Cerretto barolo Bricco Roche Prapo. The nebbiolo really dominates. I probably should have mixed a little more of the 2013 pinot for more oomph.

All the rest was frozen for cooking wine.
---
Eric Tomasi
CT: Ericindc

Dan Kravitz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#80 Post by Dan Kravitz » October 21st, 2018, 6:54 pm

Eric,

That sounds like a workable blend... too bad you didn't have any Xynomavro to put in the mix [snort.gif] . I'll bet 75% Pommard and 25% Patty Green would have been terrific. Nothing like some young, fresh New World Pinot Noir to invigorate some stern Burg with bottle age.

Dan Kravitz
swillmaster - ITB

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#81 Post by Kirk.Grant » October 21st, 2018, 7:01 pm

I will frequently add Pinot Noir to a champagne just to see what a little dash does...it's worked well sometimes and others it comes off too candied.
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

Del LaBand

#82 Post by Del LaBand » October 21st, 2018, 8:05 pm

I frequently ice cube CA Pinots in order to approach a somewhat respectable alcohol level.

Andrew Dodd

#83 Post by Andrew Dodd » October 22nd, 2018, 8:09 am

Tried to blend together Catena Nicasia and Adrianna to make my own Argentino. Didn't go well, lol.

JohnP

#84 Post by JohnP » October 22nd, 2018, 10:44 am

Last night, I took a couple fresh passion fruits and mixed them into a shaker with Sauternes and a splash of SauvBlanc. Ice cube heavy shake, and poured into a martini glass and garnished with a lemon twist. My girlfriend liked it, so it was a win. Had this been poured into a wine glass, I'm pretty sure she would've passed. Glassware sets the mood and the senses, totally convinced.
John Pollard

Justin S

#85 Post by Justin S » October 22nd, 2018, 12:34 pm

John Morris wrote:
October 13th, 2018, 4:00 pm
Joe B wrote:
October 13th, 2018, 2:45 pm
Enough of half measures. Get some mulling spices, add them and simmer it.
I had mulled wine for the first time over the weekend. Reminded me of a crossover between chai and wine.

It felt very wrong to simmer wine, but at least the base was only $6.99.
$ ! n g h

Mike Grammer

#86 Post by Mike Grammer » October 22nd, 2018, 1:12 pm

An interesting and good question, Corey. No, haven't done this with wine per se, but...

1) In a wine seminar once, I was able to source the single variety versions of a winery's red wine and then the meritage. I had the participants taste the singles, then the meritage, then I told them to make their own blend and see what they came up with---that was fun.

2) Even more fun, in the whisky world of things, a few years ago I set up a dinner where the highlight was a double flight where we tasted Johnny Walker Gold and then 8 of the single malts which I had managed to divine went into the blend. Again, we were looking for hallmarks of the singles in the Gold (I did pick up Talisker and Glenrothes myself) and then the real fun began--make your own blend and see who comes closest. Jay Shampur won that challenge...by adding some Bourbon to his mix!

Mulled wine, a.k.a. glogg in the Scandinavian tradition, can be lovely at Christmastime. One does not, of course, use DRC for such things champagne.gif

Mike

Tran Bronstein
Contributor
Contributor

#87 Post by Tran Bronstein » October 23rd, 2018, 11:40 am

In my early Berserkerdom days, I once doctored icewine with homemade vanilla extract and liquid smoke. Minus the botrytis glycerin tingle, I was surprisingly close to Sauternes.
Tran's the smart one!- M Grammer

Mel Knox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#88 Post by Mel Knox » October 24th, 2018, 9:53 am

I have heard of serious wineries using raspberry jello to fine wine, perhaps in the hope adding a tad of flavor.

If one were making ersatz Sauternes, might a little fingernail polish remover be in order??
ITB

Eric Ifune
GCC Member
GCC Member

#89 Post by Eric Ifune » October 24th, 2018, 3:10 pm

Traditional in Britain to add a glass of ruby Port to a decanter of too old Bordeaux.
I've seen Ricardo Freitas of Barbeito Madeira doctor his own wines at a tasting once, adding this and that to improve it.

john stimson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#90 Post by john stimson » October 24th, 2018, 5:18 pm

Here I am at a party a couple of years ago where the theme was doctoring wine (hence the white coat)--we were given a number of bottles of various grape varieties and could use whatever else we wanted to come up with the best blend. also flasks and graduated columns. then we shared and judged.
IMG_1826.JPG

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#91 Post by Anton D » October 24th, 2018, 5:38 pm

john stimson wrote:
October 24th, 2018, 5:18 pm
Here I am at a party a couple of years ago where the theme was doctoring wine (hence the white coat)--we were given a number of bottles of various grape varieties and could use whatever else we wanted to come up with the best blend. also flasks and graduated columns. then we shared and judged.

IMG_1826.JPG
And?

More details! [cheers.gif]
Anton Dotson

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#92 Post by Blake Brown » October 25th, 2018, 2:22 am

I injected some DRC Romanee Conti. Is that considered "doctoring"?
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Josh Grossman

#93 Post by Josh Grossman » January 9th, 2019, 8:28 pm

• 2016 Kirkland Signature Cabernet Sauvignon Signature Series Rutherford - USA, California, Napa Valley, Rutherford (1/9/2019)
    I added a bag of Tazo white tea to the aerators I poured this through and it actually made it better. Adulterated, this wine is now right on par with top grocery store box wine--but still closer to an overly ripe zin than a cab. In a blind taste test, (remember that this is adulterated with white tea that improved the flavor) I'd guess this was 2016 Bota Box Nighthawk Red. I'm too embarrassed to even take this wine to a party with my non-wine friends.

Kirkland Signature Series, your attempt to Cameron Hughes Girard Winery was bad, and you should both feel bad. (71 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker

Barry Sunderland

#94 Post by Barry Sunderland » January 11th, 2019, 3:48 pm

‘Doctored a wine’?
I’ve wined to a doctor.

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#95 Post by Anton D » January 11th, 2019, 4:44 pm

A friend added 0.5cc of glycerin (you can buy this stuff!) and turned a last glass of Retro Cellars Petite Sirah (good wine) into Orin Swift Machete (not so good a wine.)

The glycerin added the sensation of some residual sugar and more fruit bloom....Orin Swift, Molly Dooker, Meomi, Caymus new style cab, and SQN come to mind.

I know wineries can add Mega Purple and not have to tell, is that true of glycerin?

My wine group thinks we have discovered a trade secret for many wines!
Anton Dotson

Dan Kravitz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#96 Post by Dan Kravitz » January 11th, 2019, 5:26 pm

Doctor? I don't even nurse the stuff... just swig it down.

Dan Kravitz
swillmaster - ITB

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#97 Post by Anton D » January 11th, 2019, 6:30 pm

[bow.gif] k
Dan Kravitz wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 5:26 pm
Doctor? I don't even nurse the stuff... just swig it down.

Dan Kravitz
champagne.gif
Anton Dotson

Return to “Wine Talk”