Has Anyone Ever "Doctored" a Wine?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Corey N.

#1 Post by Corey N. » May 13th, 2016, 9:24 am

I've seen people post that they've mixed a couple glasses together at the end of the evening, but has anyone ever doctored a wine with non-wine additives?

I've thought about putting a couple peppercorns in a glass of a hum drum Syrah, or maybe a bit of orange peel in a bland Pinot, but I've never actually done so. Convention aside, I don't see why it couldn't marginally improve a wine that isn't particularly interesting.

Has anyone else actually done/considered this?

--

A bit of an aside, but I can imagine Bobby Orlando putting green bell peppers in darned near everything.
Nøv¡¢k

PaulMills
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2 Post by PaulMills » May 13th, 2016, 9:29 am

I know a guy who puts salted peanuts in his Sauternes.

Scott Butler

#3 Post by Scott Butler » May 13th, 2016, 9:32 am

I put fruit in my wine sometimes. I like to call it...Sangria!

neener
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

Corey N.

#4 Post by Corey N. » May 13th, 2016, 9:33 am

PaulMills wrote:I know a guy who puts salted peanuts in his Sauternes.
Did you ever try it? I'm genuinely interested?

I know people put salt in coffee to smooth out the bitter edges...recall trying it once and liking it, but haven't tried it since.
Nøv¡¢k

Scott Butler

#5 Post by Scott Butler » May 13th, 2016, 9:37 am

I've never actually tried it, though the orange peel in Pinot sounds interesting.

I have a Grenache from Beckmen that I'd swear has crushed blueberries in it, but they said it is all grapes. Just delicious!
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Michael Martin » May 13th, 2016, 9:42 am

A white port with a twist and club soda is a very popular aperitif in Portugal, but that is not probably what you meant by doctored.

PaulMills
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by PaulMills » May 13th, 2016, 9:49 am

Corey N. wrote:

I have not tried it but he likes the sweet and salty flavor.

Joe B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Joe B » May 13th, 2016, 9:51 am

I think this is a great question and one i was thinking about a few months back. Why not, right? I mean we have beer we mix. Black n tans. Black n blues. Boilermakers. We do it with harder liquers all the time. Yes sangria is a mix too. So really why not.

The only wine i have mixed was my tawny ports. Sometimes i add a bit of my cognac into it. For some reason i want my port a bit more potent. Not too much but a little bit.
J W@ll @ce
WOTY
2009 Shafer Hillside Select 98
2013 Realm To-Kalon 97

Corey N.

#9 Post by Corey N. » May 13th, 2016, 9:57 am

Michael Martin wrote:A white port with a twist and club soda is a very popular aperitif in Portugal, but that is not probably what you meant by doctored.
It's not what I initially thought of, but obviously the twist is no different to what I'm contemplating.
Nøv¡¢k

Corey N.

#10 Post by Corey N. » May 13th, 2016, 10:02 am

Joe B wrote:I think this is a great question and one i was thinking about a few months back. Why not, right? I mean we have beer we mix. Black n tans. Black n blues. Boilermakers. We do it with harder liquers all the time. Yes sangria is a mix too. So really why not.

The only wine i have mixed was my tawny ports. Sometimes i add a bit of my cognac into it. For some reason i want my port a bit more potent. Not too much but a little bit.
Well black and tans and black and blues are simply mixing two beers. In Mexico, it's fairly common to serve beers with lime (I rather like this) or to add various ingredients including worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, lime and spices to make a michelada (I like this too).

Very generally speaking, I think the beer community is far more innovative and open-minded, than the wine community.
Nøv¡¢k

Patrick Lundgren

#11 Post by Patrick Lundgren » May 13th, 2016, 10:03 am

I might get flamed for this, but after seeing what went on with the Rudy counterfeits, I'd be interested in seeing wine bars make custom blends (being completely transparent of what they are doing). If the "experts" concluded that those counterfeits actually tasted good, I'd like to try them. I know most people are purists when it comes to their wines, but I'd look at it from the perspective of a cocktail where most people only care if it tastes good. It actually would probably be a fun for a competitive offline where people bring their own blends, taste blind, and see who can make the best imitations of classic aged trophies. Even better would be to mix in a few of the real deals as ringers to potentially humble the tasters. Transparency of what is being used being the key.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by alan weinberg » May 13th, 2016, 10:04 am

stirred a slice of green pepper in a bland S. Blanc once to add a little character--had read about that somewhere. Didn't really hep.

Corey N.

#13 Post by Corey N. » May 13th, 2016, 10:08 am

alan weinberg wrote:stirred a slice of green pepper in a bland S. Blanc once to add a little character--had read about that somewhere. Didn't really hep.
Next time, grab a kitty, have it urinate in your glass and *viola!* you'll be instantly transported to Marlborough.
Nøv¡¢k

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » May 13th, 2016, 10:09 am

Corey N. wrote:
A bit of an aside, but I can imagine Bobby Orlando putting green bell peppers in darned near everything.
Would it shock you to hear that I actually do not eat green peppers? Pretty rarely. I have definitely mixed some wines before, with some positive results, but have not added non-wine things to them. Well, perhaps an ice cube or two.

"Alfert was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Cameron Hughes
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#15 Post by Cameron Hughes » May 13th, 2016, 10:12 am

alan weinberg wrote:stirred a slice of green pepper in a bland S. Blanc once to add a little character--had read about that somewhere. Didn't really hep.
Couple guys in South Africa got busted 4 or 5 years ago adding capsicum to cheap SB to give it lift...seems folks were able to pick it out one way or another...not sure how they got busted though.

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Michae1 P0wers » May 13th, 2016, 10:14 am

Corey N. wrote:
Joe B wrote:I think this is a great question and one i was thinking about a few months back. Why not, right? I mean we have beer we mix. Black n tans. Black n blues. Boilermakers. We do it with harder liquers all the time. Yes sangria is a mix too. So really why not.

Well black and tans and black and blues are simply mixing two beers. In Mexico, it's fairly common to serve beers with lime (I rather like this) or to add various ingredients including worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, lime and spices to make a michelada (I like this too).

Very generally speaking, I think the beer community is far more innovative and open-minded, than the wine community.
I don't think the issue is innovativeness or openness, but rather that beer - particularly somewhat neutral beers - lend themselves more to being altered than wine does. I'm a big fan of a shandy in hot weather, or a grapefruit shandy. I will drink Sangria too, but somehow it isn't quite the same thing. I don't think my beer tastes are more innovative or open-minded, I just think that wine is less subject to improvement through addition than beer can sometimes be. Also, I'd be less likely to try to mix a really good beer, so why do it to good wine?

Corey N.

#17 Post by Corey N. » May 13th, 2016, 10:21 am

Robert Alfert, Jr. wrote:Would it shock you to hear that I actually do not eat green peppers?
As I told you last night, you never cease to amaze me.
Michael Powers wrote:I don't think the issue is innovativeness or openness, but rather that beer - particularly somewhat neutral beers - lend themselves more to being altered than wine does. I'm a big fan of a shandy in hot weather, or a grapefruit shandy. I will drink Sangria too, but somehow it isn't quite the same thing. I don't think my beer tastes are more innovative or open-minded, I just think that wine is less subject to improvement through addition than beer can sometimes be. Also, I'd be less likely to try to mix a really good beer, so why do it to good wine?
I agree that beer is, generally speaking more neutral in flavor, but how would you know whether a wine could be improved unless you thought outside the box? To be clear, I'm not suggesting that anyone adulterates a 1985 Cheval Blanc anymore than I'm suggesting that they make a shandy out of Cantillon. I'm talking about experimenting with a wine that you're not really enjoying.

The next time I have one of these ho-hum wines (and I'm thinking of one wine in particular that my gf likes and I don't care for) I'll report on it.
Nøv¡¢k

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Michae1 P0wers » May 13th, 2016, 10:30 am

I have two thoughts here. The first is that wine is just naturally a really good mimic of fruit and non-fruit flavors. So if you want a wine that tastes like olives, grab a N. Rhone Syrah. If you want bell pepper, grab a cool year Loire Cab franc. If you want chocolate or vanilla grab a cabernet with oak. So maybe it is less necessary to adulterate wine due to the naturally high variability of flavors. Just the red-white divide is something that dwarfs the variety found in beer IMO.

Second, I just think wine hits higher heights. I enjoy beer, but it almost never impresses the way that good wine does. So I'm more inclined to improve a beer with additive than wine.

But hey, if you hit upon any life-changing additions to wine be sure to let us know! Or if you have any ridiculous failures that will make for equally entertaining reading.

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Anton D » May 13th, 2016, 10:31 am

I've taken crap red and added peat moss, vanilla, pepper, put in a little liquid smoke, a dash of Chanel No.
5, some green food coloring, and some sandalwood incense.

It passed as a '29 Latour, a wine as pure as nature itself.
Anton Dotson

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » May 13th, 2016, 10:32 am

Corey N. wrote:
Robert Alfert, Jr. wrote:Would it shock you to hear that I actually do not eat green peppers?

Some clarification may be in order . . . .

[wow.gif]

Kenny H (circa 2015)

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by CJ Beazley » May 13th, 2016, 10:48 am

Robert Alfert, Jr. wrote:
Corey N. wrote:

Some clarification may be in order . . . .

[wow.gif]
He meant "you complete me" but was embarrassed to post it.
It's C(raig)

Corey N.

#22 Post by Corey N. » May 13th, 2016, 11:02 am

Brokeback Chinon.
Nøv¡¢k

Russell Faulkner

#23 Post by Russell Faulkner » May 13th, 2016, 11:06 am

I emptied my bottle of Cocchi Americano earlier today and I was wondering if I can make my own. Not available here on the desert and I don't have a camel train arriving for another month or so.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » May 13th, 2016, 11:12 am

Corey N. wrote:Brokeback Chinos.
These?

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Corey N.

#25 Post by Corey N. » May 13th, 2016, 11:14 am

Corey N. wrote:Brokeback Chinos.
These?
I'm game, so long as you're willing to accessorize with the fez. Something tells me that those tassels would tickle.

And by "something" I mean, my personal experience.
Nøv¡¢k

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » May 13th, 2016, 11:18 am

Russell Faulkner wrote:I emptied my Cocchi today. I was wondering if I can make my own. Not available here on the desert and I don't have a camel.
You and Corey should be talking.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Corey N.

#27 Post by Corey N. » May 13th, 2016, 11:27 am

Russell Faulkner wrote:I emptied my Cocchi today. I was wondering if I can make my own. Not available here on the desert and I don't have a camel.
You and Corey should be talking.
Pretty sure that the UAE frowns on men sharing Cocchi.
Nøv¡¢k

David Coffey

#28 Post by David Coffey » May 13th, 2016, 12:14 pm

The only doctoring I have done is a bit of experimenting with some VORS Sherries. I love some older style Sherries that pre-date the recent style trend to bone-dryness, such as Osborne's PdeltaP Palo Cortado (which includes some PX) and their India Solera Oloroso (which also includes some Arrope). So if I have a very dry VORS Palo Cortado, for instance, I might add a bit of very old PX to the glass to gauge the effect. I also have a couple bottles of the Equipo Navazo Bota 33 de Dulce Color Bota NO, which is an ancient bottling of a largely Arrope blend, so a bit of that has made its way into a glass or two of this or that VORS.

robert creth
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by robert creth » May 13th, 2016, 12:23 pm

I will on occasion, add a teaspoon of Sauternes to a glass of (for my taste) too tart SV Blanc to mow down some of the grass. Works wonders if you keep a light touch with the Sauternes.

Mark B

#30 Post by Mark B » May 13th, 2016, 12:33 pm

Technically speaking, the only true way to "doctor" a wine is with Dr. Pepper.
M@rk "Drinx" Boldizs@r

Drew Goin

#31 Post by Drew Goin » May 13th, 2016, 12:56 pm

Historically, there was retsina. The McGovern book I have says that, since grapes can easily kick-start the fermentation process on their own, they were sometimes added to brews of grain and honey (think the "Midas beer").

The Romans and Greeks added herbs and, sometimes sea salt.

As a little salt can tame tannins, I wonder what the effect of flavor would be to sprinkle a tiny bit into a glass of modern Cabernet?

Randall McFarlane

#32 Post by Randall McFarlane » May 13th, 2016, 1:10 pm

My late father had little use for wine and found my interest in it amusing. I can remember a few times when, to devil me, he'd pour the remnants of his pre-dinner martini into whatever glass of red or white I'd set out for him--said it made for a significant improvement over straight wine.

Jeannean/Ryman

#33 Post by Jeannean/Ryman » May 13th, 2016, 1:48 pm

I was served a barely drinkable red at a party once and snuck over to the cocktail bar and added a splash of cranberry juice to it. It made the wine much better (at least I could drink it). Now, if I get something I don't care for, I'll add a splash of cranberry juice to even it out. I wouldn't do it to a wine I liked though.

Wade H

#34 Post by Wade H » May 13th, 2016, 3:51 pm

You might want to try Barolo Chinato, which is Nebbiolo with herbs and spices added. I love the stuff.
Wade H0$tl3r

Dennis Kanagie

#35 Post by Dennis Kanagie » May 13th, 2016, 4:23 pm

Corey N. wrote: has anyone ever doctored a wine with non-wine additives?
Sure have - just like my CellarTracker screen name: CranBurgundy. Whenever we pop a Pinot that's just too tart for either my wife or I, a shot of Ocean Spray No Sugar Added CranCherry does the trick. [cheers.gif]
PaulMills wrote:
Corey N. wrote:

I have not tried it but he likes the sweet and salty flavor.
Same reason chocolate covered pretzels are so popular.
Purple Drankin' Cretin

Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Ken Strauss » May 13th, 2016, 4:34 pm

Took a cooking class in New Orleans. The chef was explaining how he got over people doctoring his food with ketchup. He learned to each his own as he discribed a couple who added sugar to a fairly expensive bottle of wine.
"Explaining is not supporting."

"Independence is a state of mind"

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Anton D » May 13th, 2016, 4:42 pm

Patrick Lundgren wrote:I might get flamed for this, but after seeing what went on with the Rudy counterfeits, I'd be interested in seeing wine bars make custom blends (being completely transparent of what they are doing). If the "experts" concluded that those counterfeits actually tasted good, I'd like to try them. I know most people are purists when it comes to their wines, but I'd look at it from the perspective of a cocktail where most people only care if it tastes good. It actually would probably be a fun for a competitive offline where people bring their own blends, taste blind, and see who can make the best imitations of classic aged trophies. Even better would be to mix in a few of the real deals as ringers to potentially humble the tasters. Transparency of what is being used being the key.
I have talked about doing this with friends for years. I think it is a fabulous idea and I'm glad you posted.
Anton Dotson

BobH

#38 Post by BobH » May 13th, 2016, 4:58 pm

I have heard of people freezing their Sauternes to concentrate the wine. I have never done it myself
hud@k

etomasi

#39 Post by etomasi » May 13th, 2016, 5:05 pm

I added sugar to really bad sparking wine before. Results were not good
---
Eric Tomasi
CT: Ericindc

J. Migone

#40 Post by J. Migone » May 13th, 2016, 5:18 pm

I blend port that is too sweet into wines that are lacking substance sometimes. It's quite good.
The one and only Obi Juan Migone

Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Paul McCourt » May 13th, 2016, 7:34 pm

Mark B wrote:Technically speaking, the only true way to "doctor" a wine is with Dr. Pepper.
Drop a shot of Amaretto in a mug of beer and voila! Dr. pepper!

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Anton D » May 13th, 2016, 7:43 pm

Paul McCourt wrote:
Mark B wrote:Technically speaking, the only true way to "doctor" a wine is with Dr. Pepper.
No way!

I gotta try that.

Too low brow for Fu. He does Montrachet into Armand de Brignac.
Anton Dotson

Jeremy Holmes

#43 Post by Jeremy Holmes » May 13th, 2016, 8:02 pm

I know of a winemaker down here who bought a lot of '82 Bordeaux (mainly 1st growths) in the early 90's. He thought the wines didn't have quite enough acidity so he dosed each bottle up with a little extra acid and re-corked.
ITB

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Anton D » May 13th, 2016, 9:45 pm

Jeremy Holmes wrote:I know of a winemaker down here who bought a lot of '82 Bordeaux (mainly 1st growths) in the early 90's. He thought the wines didn't have quite enough acidity so he dosed each bottle up with a little extra acid and re-corked.
I dosed up some wine with acid, once, but I didn't recork

It was Wente Grey Reisling, on Asilomar Beach, but I Digress.
Anton Dotson

andy velebil

#45 Post by andy velebil » May 13th, 2016, 9:55 pm

Michael Martin wrote:A white port with a twist and club soda is a very popular aperitif in Portugal, but that is not probably what you meant by doctored.
You mean white port and TONIC. Never seen anyone use club soda there.
I'm a Port drinking fool!
http://www.fortheloveofport.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ftlop.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Marcus Goodfellow

#46 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » May 13th, 2016, 10:27 pm

Wade H wrote:You might want to try Barolo Chinato, which is Nebbiolo with herbs and spices added. I love the stuff.
+1

Beyond this it's just the occasional ice cube

Marcus Goodfellow

#47 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » May 13th, 2016, 10:32 pm

Anton D wrote:
Paul McCourt wrote:
No way!

I gotta try that.

For a friends birthday we carved a liquor luge from a 100lb block of ice.(you cut channels in the ice from the top to the bottom, pour booze in at the top, put your mouth at the bottom and viola...a chilled shot of your choice.) The best thing we ran down the luge was Krug (of course it was).

Andrew W.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Andrew W. » May 14th, 2016, 5:02 am

Anton D wrote:
Paul McCourt wrote:
No way!

I gotta try that.

Add a little 151 on top, light it on fire and you have the best shot ever...Flaming Dr.
Pepper!
A. 'Wy.man'

Corey N.

#49 Post by Corey N. » May 14th, 2016, 5:12 am

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:For a friends birthday we carved a liquor luge from a 100lb block of ice.(you cut channels in the ice from the top to the bottom, pour booze in at the top, put your mouth at the bottom and viola...a chilled shot of your choice.) The best thing we ran down the luge was Krug (of course it was).
Note to self: party with Marcus.
Nøv¡¢k

Drew Goin

#50 Post by Drew Goin » May 14th, 2016, 7:27 am

andy velebil wrote:
You mean white port and TONIC. Never seen anyone use club soda there.
+1

Return to “Wine Talk”