If you could only buy one Riesling...

If you could only buy ONE Riesling bottling, year after year, what would it be, and why? Not one producer, but one producer’s single bottling, whether GG or Pradikat, from one vineyard, at one level of ripeness.

And, despite the sound of that initial post, it doesn’t have to be limited to Germany. But I will be bored if you say Clos St Hune.

Well, if my entire riesling budget has to go into only one wine, I can definitely afford Egon Muller’s auction Auslese.

Prum WS Spatlese.

Within reason (i.e. No Egon Muller), then same as Russell.
Prum WS spat

But why? What makes Prum WS Spat so good?

Consistency, price, availability, but above all the quality.

Im sure you’ve had one… Do u agree/disagree?

weird that I opened an 04 Prum WS Spätlese just before opening this thread. It is a bit simple for my liking but I am no Riesling geek–what do I know?

Not a fan of Prum’s style, for me I would choose:
Josef Leitz Rüdesheimer Berg Roseneck Riesling Spätlese

I love this wine and winemaker, it’s consistent, shows vintage character and is affordable in it’s category.

Too sweet for me. I’d prefer the Schaefer Domprobst Kabinett, or better yet the Donnhoff Leistenberg Kabinett. The JJ Prum WS Kabinett isn’t bad, either…

JB Becker Kabinett Trocken. Fits all my requirements for great Riesling: good to great upon release, great acidity, can age like crazy, imminently affordable, and distinctive.

When they first came out, I found the 04s a little lacking in acid. Perhaps that’s it. Also, Prums can go through periods when they just seem sweet but not complex.

If you have to ask, you must not have had one with some age. Balance, concentration, complexity.

Probably the Keller AbtseRde GG. While pricy, it’s the most consistently exciting Riesling I’ve come across. I’m not usually a fan of Alsace…and for me that leaves either Germany or Austria. FX Pichler Unendlich also comes to mind…but I’ve only had it once. I can’t afford G-Maxx but if I could that would be my first choice…

I’ve opened two of those in the last year and found them both sublime. No worries of you think otherwise. Lots of wine in the world.

I’ve never had a Schaefer Frohlich Felseneck GG I didn’t think was awesome.

Easy question to answer: JJ Prum Graacher Himmelreich Spatlese.

She likes Kabinett and Spatlese, I like Spatlese and Auslese. Makes it a no brainer!

Next question please.

I couldn’t really dispute anyone wanting the Spat, but for me it would be the WS Kabinett to buy each year. It has, IMO a weight/fruit/acid tension that is hard to match, especially at the price. I also love that the Kabinett works equally well with smoked salmon, vinaigrette dressed salads, sushi and Thai dishes with varying degrees of heat/ spice.

Weiser-Künstler Enkircher Ellergrub Riesling Kabinett

Keller G-Max. One of the very few wines that always lives up to the hype.

Weinbach Ste. Catherine.