TN: 2014 Kutch Pinot Noir Bohan Vineyard (USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast)

2014 Kutch Pinot Noir Bohan Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (5/12/2016)
First time trying the 2014 Bohan, and it is decidedly too early. At this point there is a distinct drying element on the palate that makes the wine too tight to really express itself. There are some nice red fruit, floral and herb aromas, but it’s needs some time to unwind. I am going to let this wine sit for another year or so before I try another bottle. Judgement reserved at this point.

Posted from CellarTracker

Gotta prove Zylerberg wrong, don’cha? [whistle.gif]

How so? I have my concerns about this wine.

I’ve had this back in September. Don’t recall such a dryness. Maybe its in a dumb/closed down stage?
I will not try any of my 4 for a bit.

Ummmm… this IS a 2014 right?

I’d actually love to try a Kutch wine. Same with Aubert. I had a 2013 Aubert Lauren Chardonnay the other day and fully anticipated that I would hate it. To my surprise, I absolutely loved it.

Yes - and I am concerned about the balance.

Opened on Saturday on an impulse. I didn’t care for it for it first - it had a hint of spritz to it, and the finish was a bit muddy. I had poured two small glasses, for me and my wife, but I knew she wouldn’t like it, so I combined them into my glass and tried it over a couple hours. It got better, but was only just okay.

The next evening, I went back to the 3/4 bottle, just left on the counter with the cork back in, and this had not only improved, it had become quite lovely. My wife, who tends to be less fond of this style than I, enjoyed it immensely.

Just a data point to share.

+1 deadhorse

Glad to have your data point and articulate note on it, David. Frankly, it’s about exactly where I would have thought it would be at this stage. Mine are sleeping and if I open one soon, it will be with an extensive decant. I do have real hopes for the 14s from here, where I didn’t fancy the 13 that much—although I should probably give that a retaste too sometime soon if I can.

Cheers,

Mike

Circling back on your TN, Buek, along with that of Counselor Seiber. Opened the bottle yesterday, worked through most of it through tonight, leaving one more glass for tomorrow.

• 2014 Kutch Pinot Noir Bohan Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (8/15/2019)
    Poking around the cellar, realized it had been since 2015 when I last had one of these. Done deal. Opened this a few hours ago, put a light chill on it and worked my way through a glass or so. This started off a little heavy and clunky, but the air really helped the wine evolve. Like the 2015 bottle, this shows a floral quality. The fruit, the palate of the wine, is what shines for me. The fruit is a mix of jammy raspberry and cherry, with some grippy slate that tightens the finish, along with an inflection of herb from the whole cluster. The finish then reflects a pure cherry quality, a kind of piercing red fruit. This is really good, but air has a way of working magic for wine so with more than 1/2 bottle left for tomorrow, plenty more to go for another look…revisit a day later, some of the Bohan rose petal appears. And, I appreciate the fruit imprint on this wine. This vintage for Bohan is more concentrated than usual, which darkens the usual lighter red fruits of Bohan. Putting the fruit, savory note, along with the acid and the solid structure, this should last some more years. Very good Bohan.

Posted from CellarTracker