Best wine youve "wasted" by drinking when hammered

Derby day, long enjoyable day with friends eating drinking then cigars. After the daytime festivities i was watching baseball and continued to drink, late in the day i opened an Alban Patrina a wine i really really enjoy, in this particular case though i could have been drinking 4 week old two buck chuck and probably been perfectly happy i was well past the point of feeling any pain and the wine was not respected in any way !!

So whats the best bottle of wine your opened when hammered, you opened your 61 Lafite when a Yellow tail would have done the same job ??

I’m not sure it counts as “best” because it was not a great year, but Bobby Orlando opened a 55 Mouton after the stroke of midnight and after we were past the point of needing more liquor. Was quite fun, but would have been more interesting – but less fun – to study the wine in a more serious setting.

A case and a half plus of Bedrock Lachryma Monits. They always came out when we were over-imbibed.

Fun question. Not completely wasted, but definitely wasn’t able to maximize my enjoyment of a couple bottles last night. After a barrage of cocktails and a half bottle of white, the back halves of a '96 CH Haut-Batailley and a '96 Lafon-Rochet were completely lost on me.

But hey, I figured out that I love Pauillacs, so it was worth it. :slight_smile:

In the 90s my NOLA friends were big in Peter Michael Chards as the after midnite bottles. Suffice to say there were no tasting notes.

I’ve lost count…my biggest upset is when I wake up the next morning and there’s about 4oz. Missing from a $50+ bottle.

for me it always seems to be mags
01 pavie
02 pride reserve
97 insignia
ouch

Ha ha, that was a killer evening. I would not have changed a single thing. I think we popped that Mouton after 1 a.m. We popped a few other things, too, that I never really got back to, such as a 1998 Laville Haut Brion Blanc and a 1993 J B Becker Riesling. The Mouton was quite enjoyable.

I wish I had been more hammered a few weeks ago on my cycling trip when at the end of a good night drinking and festivity, my buddy popped a 2013 Turley Zinfandel that had 15.8% alcohol. Ugh. I tasted that thing the next day like a bad cigar hangover.

Ha! You said “study the wine in a more serious setting.”

I have a friend who is a “serious audiophile.”

As to the question in the OP: I can’t remember.

Agreed…that night was darned near perfect, except perhaps, for Ivan trying to pull off a velvet blazer in 70 degree weather.

My experience with first growth wine is quite limited, hence the comment. But as noted above, it capped off a magical evening, so perhaps the wine was not really wasted at all (though we certainly were).

Ohh, that hurts.

At a dinner with a number of locals from the old squirrel bb days. Someone brought a buddy & the dude orders '00 La Tache off the list at the end of a pretty heavy night. 800 bones pretty much wasted.

Never saw him again.

Nothing else that bad.

i’ve got another 1 left
will try not to repeat with this one [cheers.gif]

Never opened any wine when completely wasted, as I wasn’t into wine in the distant past before I developed a recognition of wasted = hideous hangover. Actually I have never drunk enough to pass out, or where I forget what happened in the evening, though perhaps one or two occasions would have been nice to forget!

The one that sprung to mind, where I opened a wine that was ill-suited to the ‘let’s open another bottle’ moment, was a 2002 Montevetrano. It tasted ok, quite decent, in the way that a tired palate recognises the wine is better than plonk, but unable to give it much more recognition.

I have a breathalyzer lock on my cellar door for just this situation. Blow too high of a BAC and access is denied. Only what’s in the kitchen Danby is up for grabs - some Riesling from Prum and Cristoffel, a sub $50 Cab or two, and maybe a Village level Faiveley or Drouhin.

Well, it wasn’t First Growth then, if that helps. Great story.

They weren’t “my” wines, but I remember Mr. Manlin popping and pouring a '90 Latour and '90 Montrose one night (midnight) for 12-15 very wasted guests at his place

Apparently Robert was so hammered he’s forgotten that Corey was there.

The '11 or the '09?

Family reunion last month. Craft beer led to wine and then the train went off the tracks. My family has a tendency to suck the air out of the room and apparently wine out of a bottle.

I think I lost a '12 Bedrock Puccini, '10 Bedrock Pagani, '08 Jaffurs Upslope, '08 Oakville Cab, and some Italians whose identity may never be known.