TN: A most horrid St Emilion wine--03 Pipeau

Fine on the nose, hollow on the palate, just nothing there. Down the drain.

Glad my name is Piper.

While it’s not a blockbuster by any stretch, I find it pleasant for what it is. Agree with you on the bouquet. Seems to be getting worse instead of better, just based on my 3 experiences. I’m not a big bdx guy, but with a steak or some such, I dont hate having these.

Note from a couple weeks ago:

Very pretty and enjoyable nose, more simple on the palate but still a bargain.

From Nov 07:

Decanted for 2 hours. Dark ruby color. Smoked meats, touch of vanilla and red currant on the nose. Expansive mouthfeel, with gobs of fruit and firm, but ripe and tannins. Touch of coffee on the finish -delish!

From 06:

Earthy, berry nose leads to cherry palate and long finish.

Peter I will send you a magnum of this wine as my gift to you for Christmas shipping included. Just PM me the shipping address.

Of course if you find any deals on Champs, please PM me first.

Cheers,
Otto

What did it cost?

Funny because that was my exact impression of the 05 Pipeau on Saturday. The nose is really nice with a lot of licorice but the palate is just hollow. It gets better with a decant though. I think this might come around with some age though…I hope.

I like my little Pipeau, 2005 that is. Haven’t had it in a while though.

I had the 03 a few weeks ago and was disappointed. It had a green streak that carried through to the finish with a vengance. Not worth the money by a long shot. I’m trying to muster the courage to try another or decide if I should just give the reamining bottles away.

$17.99 (for 750ml).

Kind of reminds me of the 03 Montelena Napa Cabernet (not Estate) that I had last night, but that was $40.