TN: 04 Domaine du Mas Blanc 'Collita' [Banyuls]

04 Domaine du Mas Blanc ‘Collita’ [Banyuls] 17.5% abv, decanted for two hours, served over two nights. Very thick/sludgy, and decanting failed to remove all the cloudy particulates. Dark, no lightening. Nose of coffee, butterscotch, anise. Palate of cocoa, gingerbread, and rum raisins. Still very tannic to my tastes, and even though I intellectually know these need to age, greed for them gets in the way of reason, and this was popped too early. FWIW, I like Dr Parce’s efforts better than the good, and much more locally available Chapoutier’s. Good finish, 30+ seconds. The collita level bottling doesn’t spend as much time on the skins as the rimage does, but I think these are still very ageworthy. I don’t find much consistency in Banyuls pricing at retail - they can be all over the place but my view is that their value proposition is that they offer a vintage port like experience at an LBV price, and are particularly well suited to chocolate desserts. (Although we had this with strawberries and whipped cream, which probably earns some sommelier demerits somewhere) I’ve always liked these more than most other people so assign it an A-. NB This is a fortified dessert wine - the blanc is part of the estate name.

I still have yet to try any of Dr. Parce’s dry wines, which apparently the estate is making more of, as fashions tilt away from sweet wines, as well as long aging requirements.

I’m surprised about the sludginess. I’ve not experienced that in any of my old Banyuls wines that have been settled before decanting.

I agree about the pricing. It’s skewed by an AOC system that doesn’t seem to match the reality of the quality and by the prestige of some estates over others. Domaine du Mas Blanc is one of the old, most respected estates and some of their wines are a bit ambitiously priced as a result.

However, I would recommend seeking out their dry red wines. They have quite a large range and have several different terroirs represented in the bottlings which makes it interesting. My favourites are the Cosprons Levants, which can be massively reduced in its youth but weirdly disappears over the years, and the two Junquets wines.

I always get confused when people talk about les Parcé in the Roussillon as there are at least 5 estates run by different members of that large family.

We had an 89 Dr. Parce Dom du Mas Blanc Rimage [Banyuls] over the last few nights. It was very good, but again, sludgy sediment in the final glass. Lots of intensity, cinnamon and cocoa on the nose. A really wonderful dessert with a spectrum of chocolate oriented plates.

This was much lighter in the robe than that 04 Collita level.