TN: 1970 Château Larrivet-Haut-Brion (France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan)

• 1970 Château Larrivet-Haut-Brion - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (5/3/2016)
    A little cheesy to begin with but after an hour in the decanter the fromage notes had disappeared. The nose has some gravel, tar, leather, truffle and soot along with something dark and vinous. In the mouth structural elements have softened and it is full, and savoury with nice detail and a kiss of minerally acidity to the finish. Drinking somewhere close to its apogee I suspect.

Posted from CellarTracker

I just picked up another bottle of the 2009.
Now have 3 and I guess I better start drinking at least one before they go into the dumb phase.
Although, the one they had at the Total Wine France wine tasting was still delicious.
Nice wine.

The '09 shouldnt dumb down. I don’t think many other than the top most phenolically fortified ones will, and those are going to be your 1st growths, LLC etc… they’re just too rich for them to close up and not give pleasure. Though I’d totally recommend waiting 15 years and getting an opulent kaleidoscope flavored/scented experience, it is 09 after all.

Yeah, the one we just had at the france class was outstanding.
Just keep hearing about the 6 to 9 or so year dumb phase that can mute a good wine temporarily.