A night at the Dutch Frontier with the Bruce and Heather Phillips of VHR

Went to Dutch Frontier in the little town of Ducor, CA with some friends to taste through some wines with Bruce and Heather, who are just great people and so friendly. Dutch Frontier is an old rustic place that is stuck in time with it’s decor and honestly I think is part of the charm of the place. No frills, no fancy decor, no fancy lighting or displays, just good food on a plate. Bruce and Heather decided to put together this dinner as an appreciation to some friends and see how the wines are doing. It was a great night. The Merry Edwards and Pahlmeyer were drank first and then tasted in order of 2008, 2011, 2012, 2013 of the VHR. All wines tasted non-blind. Notes were short hand as not to detract form the night so hard to read everthing I wrote but the wines were pretty distinct to each other.

• 2013 Vine Hill Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon VHR - USA, California, Napa Valley (5/2/2016)
    WOTN for me. What an awesome wine. This wine needs tons of air. It is super tight and takes a lot of coaxing to get the flavors to express themselves. Very primary and some big tannins but do not detract from the enjoyment. Dark fruits, sage, baking spice, hint of tea. Super long finish that is quite enjoyable right now. This needs some major time to calm down but can be drunk now with a long decant. Glad I have 6 bottles to watch the evolution of this one. (98 pts.)
  • 2008 Vine Hill Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon VHR - USA, California, Napa Valley (5/2/2016)
    Still a big wine that has gobs of dark black fruit and spice. Tasted so young but not a ton of oak to detract from it. This will be good in another 3-5 years and will probably keep for 10-15 more years I would guess. Tannins were still pretty grippy, but overall a great wine (97 pts.)
  • 2012 Vine Hill Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon VHR - USA, California, Napa Valley (5/2/2016)
    Super big wine that has some oak still showing through giving some big tannins and drying but the fruit is also strutting it’s stuff. This wine needs a few more years to come together but it should be a nice one when it does (96 pts.)
  • 2005 Pahlmeyer Proprietary Red - USA, California, Napa Valley (5/2/2016)
    From Magnum. Big wine that was still brooding with lots of big fruit and oak. This did not taste over 10 years old at all. Very hedonistic wine with lots of great features, maybe one thing I would wonder is if there is enough acid to keep up with this wine when it fully matures. (95 pts.)
  • 2009 Merry Edwards Pinot Noir Georganne - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (5/2/2016)
    From Mag. Finally get to taste a ME with some age on it and now I get it. In a really good spot that seems to firing on all cylinders. Fruit was there but not overpowering, just a hint of vanilla with some spice and a good dose of earthiness and texture was very appealing. (93 pts.)
  • 2011 Vine Hill Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon VHR - USA, California, Napa Valley (5/2/2016)
    Certainly a lighter wine due tot the vintage. Some mint, underbrush, lighter red fruits. There is a certain enjoyment factor to the wine of it being a little lighter in the mid palate that makes it easy to drink. Albeit, it is not a dense and wildly captivating wine, but made with what mother nature gave that year. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the notes! Sounds like a really awesome dinner.

Wish they would have poured the 09 and 10 VHR, as I’d love to hear how those are doing especially in context to the other wines.

Me too!! I didn’t realize this but they had none left. If I would of known I would of offered up some of mine, but can’t complain :slight_smile:

Bruce Philips is a 100pt. host. Tranquil, yet teaming with passion and compassion.

Regarding the 2013, I didn’t find it that tannic. Joe, I like your notes regarding the “dark fruits, sage, baking spices, and hint of tea.” Structurally, I was struck by the Françoise Peschon signature polyester throw blanket texture on the palate – like being used to Skim milk, then drinking a glass of 2%. Folks who enjoy Drinkward Peschon will go ga-ga for VHR, for sure. 96pts.

Best,

Kenney