98 Cht. Latour pure tannins at this point?

Yes I know it would be pretty dumb to drink this young, but I just have 1 and I hate holding onto just 1 bottle of a wine (dont ask me why, I just do). So if opened would this just be a wall of tannin?

We are in the same boat. I have but one bottle of Latour 98. I heard that it is tasting rather nicely now, but you know what? If you have just one bottle like me, why bother? I would definitely give it several more years for it to get more mature. If I had two or three, I would be tempted to open one, but with just one bottle?

I also have one bottle and I’m holding it longer – probably a good ten more years.

I have one bottle of each of the first growths (98 Latour, 98 Lafite, 98 HB, 94 Mouton, 99 Margaux) – and these are probably the only first growths I’ll ever drink because they’ve gotten so expensive. I was married in '98 so I’ll have some nice wines for future anniversaries.

rOB

Berry -
Nice to see you over here at Berserkers. I don’t have any '98 Latour but am in a similar predicament with the '99 Mouton. My choice is to open it in a couple of weeks. BTW I checked out notes on Cellartracker and there are a fair number of folks I respect who have enjoyed the '98 Latour very much.

I opened one in June for a small dinner at my house. I double decanted it for 9 hours prior to serving and it showed very well. I didn’t take a note as I was doing the cooking, but Steve Sigmond posted one in CellarTracker – he rated it 95 points. I preferred the '01 Margaux based on a superior nose, but Steve and Craig Vanderah both preferred the Latour. I wouldn’t be afraid to drink it now (obviously), but it won’t be at peak for many years.

Thanks for the inputs