Which Winery's ship with Egg Carton shippers?

I’m trying to compile a list of winery’s that ship with egg carton shipper’s in California and weather you can request styrofoam instead.

More and more seem to be using recycling materials these days and I don’t believe I have ever seen an option for styrofoam. Lots of options exist for overnight and 2-day air shipping though.

There’s at least a few other shipper alternatives to keep in mind:

“egg carton” style but plastic instead of pulp;

cardboard;

wood box in cardboard, usually (but not always) with some kind of inserts to hold the wood box.

I’m finding the use of styrofoam is decreasing, and I’d guess about 20% of my winery direct purchases were shipped in styrofoam this past year.

They are not winery’s. They are wineries.
Phil Jones

I recently saw that Navarro offers an option of using ‘Styrofoam’/polystyrene foam. The default is cardboard but they allow one to select ‘Styrofoam’ for the shipper. First time I have ever seen an option offered.

It’s an environmental impact thing. Cardboard pulp is recycled/recyclable while polystyrene is not. I would think a determining factor would be where the wine is being shipped and when moreso than what packaging is being used.

Cabot uses cardboard pulp as do a number of Oregon wineries I have purchasd from. Personally I don’t have issues with it as a packaging medium although it does react to high humidity in a less than positive manner.

[oops.gif]

Hartford, Sandlands, Turley, Villa Creek use recycled materials for shipping.

Off the top of my head: Saxum, Turley, Ojai, Jaffurs. I don’t think you can ask for styro with any of these. I prefer the egg cartons myself. Styro usually shows up at my address broken and stuck all over the bottles. I can’t recall a single issue with the recycled materials.

I look for the exact opposite, though I’m located in Northern California. I really DON’T want styrofoam shippers, which are impossible to get recycled or reused.

The logistics of using different packing materials per customer depending on the temperature windows it might have to travel through probably isn’t a realistic expectation right now, sadly.

Might have been even lower styro use for me. Majority were the egg carton like material, then straight cardboard. Not buying fancy enough stuff to get a wood case.

And whilst we’re at it, it’s whether not weather. [snort.gif]

Beyond the environmental impacts, the logistical nightmare of determining what shipping materials through your 3rd party fulfillment co seems daunting. I would imagine that Navarro ships themselves.

I’m trying to compile a list of winery’s that ship with egg carton shipper’s in California and weather you can request styrofoam instead.

And just to pile on some more, it’s shippers not shipper’s.

Hi Mark!

I haven’t used polystyrene shippers since 2005 or 2006, right around the time when cities like Berkeley and SF were banning them as to go containers from restaurants. I just did a quick search on the banning of polystyrene for food containers and saw that China banned them in 1999, but enforcing the ban has been tough.

Although they definitely have short-term thermal insulation benefits over pulp (egg carton), corrugated (Gorilla Shipper) or plastic tray shippers, it’s a temporary benefit. Sure, if the wine starts out cool from the point of origin, the polystyrene shipper will keep the bottles cooler for the first few hours, on a warm day, over the other packing materials. However, if the wine is sitting on a truck all day in 87 degree (random temp) weather, eventually the bottles are going to warm up to the ambient temperature. In polystyrene shippers, the bottles will stay warm longer after it cools down at night than if the bottles had been packed in a pulp, corrugated or plastic tray shippers. So, if you receive wine in polystyrene late in the day on a hot day, open that box up quickly and get the bottles into a cooler place.

I’ve gone back and forth using pulp, corrugated and plastic tray shippers. The corrugated ones seem to protect the bottles from breakage better than the others, but the time it takes to make those boxes is very long, and the shipping weights on those really add up. Since I pay for all of my shipping and don’t charge the customers, shipping costs got out of hand with the corrugated. The pulp shippers take up a lot of room at the winery when I bring in a big order, but they’re easy to use, and I’ve only had 3 instances out of about 8 years of shipping where a bottle broke in pulp. The plastic tray shippers take up the least amount of room, are even easier to use than pulp, and I’ve only had 1 broken bottle while using them in 3 years of trying them. By the way, I had 2 broken bottles in polystyrene shippers when I used to use them.

As far as reuse of shippers go, corrugated are the best, since they’re almost indestructible, plastic trays are next, the pulp trays start to tear after one or two uses, and polystyrene are the worst in my opinion, since they start to fall apart and pop holes after one cross country shipment.

I miss Bob Wood when we need him on the grammar issue. [cry.gif]
I recycle all my shippers to two wine shops and get $3 for the styro from one of them.

Most of the wineries I am getting shipments from in CA are using cardboard inside. In fact, I can’t remember the last shipment I had that was styrofoam.

And to pile on some more:

It’s Styrofoam not styrofoam.

It’s a trademarked product not a generic descriptor.

Spottswoode.

Ridge
Liquid Farm
Justin

Truthers…they’re EVERYWHERE!!!

[snort.gif] neener pileon