Why is Oregon chardonnay so expensive?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Dennis Kanagie

#151 Post by Dennis Kanagie »

Michael Powers wrote:Well, most of the direct import Total wines are not so good.
Agreed, but this one I've had and it's damn good. [basic-smile.gif]
Purple Drankin' Cretin

Michael Davidson

#152 Post by Michael Davidson »

Picked up a 2013 Goodfellow Richard's Cuvee for 30 and a 2014 Walter Scott WV for 24 today.

I'm sure prices will spike if grape prices go up, but it's still a great time to drink Oregon chardonnay!

Michael

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#153 Post by Jason T »

Markus S wrote:If you are only thinking about money then perhaps this isn't the job for you. I don't know what kind of salary you folks are adjusting for, but I am sure you could live on less. The lifestyle probably accounts for a good portion of psychic rewards you get from having a winery, and I am sure adds significantly to mental health (no long commutes, less crowded environment, fresh air, etc.).
How incredibly insulting and ungrateful. These folks typically work incredible hours and it's not like the pay is that great compared to other industries. And those with an equity stake in the game have a ton at risk.

They are not running a charity for our good. They should damn well be able to make as much money off their efforts as they possibly can.
J@son Tr@ughber

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#154 Post by Michae1 P0wers »

Dennis Kanagie wrote:
Michael Powers wrote:Well, most of the direct import Total wines are not so good.
Agreed, but this one I've had and it's damn good. [basic-smile.gif]
Thanks Dennis. I'll keep that in mind. We only recently have Total here in STL. I don't go there often, it's not high on my list of favorites, but they do have good pricing on a few things and I stop in from time to time.

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#155 Post by Wes Barton »

Jason T wrote:
Markus S wrote:If you are only thinking about money then perhaps this isn't the job for you. I don't know what kind of salary you folks are adjusting for, but I am sure you could live on less. The lifestyle probably accounts for a good portion of psychic rewards you get from having a winery, and I am sure adds significantly to mental health (no long commutes, less crowded environment, fresh air, etc.).
How incredibly insulting and ungrateful. These folks typically work incredible hours and it's not like the pay is that great compared to other industries. And those with an equity stake in the game have a ton at risk.

They are not running a charity for our good. They should damn well be able to make as much money off their efforts as they possibly can.
Sounds like his view is perverted by marketing myths. Hint: When you see a "winemaker" living the "lifestyle", that's probably not the real winemaker.
ITB - Useless lackey

Can't stand bloody wax capsules.

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#156 Post by dsGriswold »

I brought a bottle of '15 Walter Scott La Combe Vert Chard to a dinner last night. Notes are brief after getting home which mirror notes after a NYE party, this is the under $25 bottle, so I can only speculate on how good the SVG wines are. Similar in my tastes to Vincent's Chards which are comparable.

6/13/2017 - I LIKE THIS WINE: 92 Points
Limited notes after dinner party, crystal clear and crisp, refreshing and a joy to drink with grilled pork chops.

12/31/2016 - I LIKE THIS WINE: 92 Points
Crystal clear, NYE party so few notes, crisp fruit and a good balance. Better than the last bottle and a joy to drink. Light on it's feet.
DennisG

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#157 Post by dsGriswold »

I watched the Face Book utube videos for Walter Scott Wine on Dan and Chas. "Wine is Serious Business" pod cast. Interview with Ken and Erica are priceless. Much Eola Hills info and the interaction of two passionate people was a joy to watch. The wines are super as others have noted. [cheers.gif]
DennisG

Ryan McBrayer

#158 Post by Ryan McBrayer »

I watched it too, but noticed that there are so few viewers that I was, as of yesterday, only viewer #41. Too bad their passion and positivity does not get more play!

Back to the topic, however, we had bottles of X-Novo 2014 and 2010 Laflaive Montrachet last week, and I liked the X-Novo better. I am loving the quality Oregon Chard producers! I have not made a habit of writing CT tasting notes for chards, but I need to.

Scott Everson

#159 Post by Scott Everson »

I can't believe it's only been 14 months since I started this thread - I feel like life would be unimaginable now without Cameron Chardonnay.

My new favorite wine dork activity for friends coming over who are newer to a love of wine is to introduce them to Cameron WV Chardonnay, then the Dundee Hills version. Then we do blending trials to see what percentage of each my friends prefer. Most prefer straight up Dundee Hills or Dundee-dominant blends. But like I told good 'ol JP one time, I told him if I was on death row I think I might very well pick his WV Chardonnay as my 'last meal.' He said my comment was something to the effect of "just depressing." I thought it was quite a compliment.

Greg Malcolm
GCC Member
GCC Member

#160 Post by Greg Malcolm »

dsGriswold wrote:I brought a bottle of '15 Walter Scott La Combe Vert Chard to a dinner last night. Notes are brief after getting home which mirror notes after a NYE party, this is the under $25 bottle, so I can only speculate on how good the SVG wines are. Similar in my tastes to Vincent's Chards which are comparable.

6/13/2017 - I LIKE THIS WINE: 92 Points
Limited notes after dinner party, crystal clear and crisp, refreshing and a joy to drink with grilled pork chops.

12/31/2016 - I LIKE THIS WINE: 92 Points
Crystal clear, NYE party so few notes, crisp fruit and a good balance. Better than the last bottle and a joy to drink. Light on it's feet.

[winner.gif] The '15 Walter Scott La Combe Vert Chard is an excellent bottle of wine -- made all the more attractive by the price point.

G. Bienstock

#161 Post by G. Bienstock »

Tasting barrels of 12's with Erica and Ken was a real treat. Their Chards are top notch and rank as my domestic favorites along with Rhys Alpine and Horseshoe. Need to open an X-Novo soon.
Glenn

Positive Rastaman Vibration

ITB 1999-2005

Vincent Fritzsche
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#162 Post by Vincent Fritzsche »

Just going to chime in to say - if you haven't tried Chards from Walter Scott, do so immediately. The Combe Verte bottling is a total steal. The vineyard wines are reference points for Oregon. So impressed by what they're doing at Walter Scott.
Vincent - ITB

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#163 Post by dsGriswold »

After watching the latest "Wine is Serious Business" video by Dan and Chas., we need a reason to trek down and visit you fellows in the Amity-Eola Hills. Listening to Ken and Erica is almost as entertaining as drinking their wines. [wow.gif]
DennisG

Andy Steinman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#164 Post by Andy Steinman »

Erica and Ken are infrequent participants here so I will chime in on behalf of Walter Scott with a thank you for all the kind words about our Chardonnays. I know that Ken & Erica are happy that so many in this community enjoy the wines. This is a discerning crowd so it means a lot!

For anyone who is local or will be in Oregon for IPNC and has an interest, we are going to be "unofficially, informally open" for Barrel Tasting of our 2016's on the Sunday afternoon of IPNC weekend (July 30) from 1:00 to 3:00 or 3:30.

Please send a PM if you'd like to come by.
ITB: Partner, Walter Scott Wines, Le Pigeon, Canard, and DigitalPour; Managing Director Metis NW

Nathan Zebrowski

#165 Post by Nathan Zebrowski »

I find Oregon chards far more consistent in quality than Oregon PNs (which I love). I don't experience the question of expensive chardonnay. I buy King Estate chard at 14.99. It's our house chard, well loved by everyone. If I want to go up to 1er level, it's $23 or so for St. Innocent Freedom Hill. I have a south end of the valley perspective, but I've drunk lots of Oregon chards and I'm very rarely disappointed--or left feeling that I paid too much. I'm just hoping that the climate doesn't warm too rapidly. I wouldn't want to lose the tension and vitality in these whites.

Scott Everson

#166 Post by Scott Everson »

I checked the Vinopolis website today. Wow. Marcus! You might pretend not to care, but 95 points for Richard's Cuvée and 95+ points for Durant Vineyard Chardonnay? That Case-6 price of $26 is pretty sweet, not too expensive at all.

Scott Everson

#167 Post by Scott Everson »

My how my daughter has grown
My how my daughter has grown
IMAG0716.jpg (12.95 KiB) Viewed 2257 times
PSA: Cameron WV Chardonnay was bottled 9/21/2017. Most of it will go to New Seasons and Market of Choice. Upon initial pop-n-pour, the first few sips today feels more acidic and tastes like there's vastly less residual sugar, less lemon notes, but more salinity than in previous years. The sweetness and lemon comes around if I can let the wine sit in the glass for more than a couple minutes, which is really hard for me to do. I have affectionately referred to the past two years of CWVC as adult Koolaid (I mean this most sincerely and most respectfully), but this year tastes like a step up professionally, at least from the '15. Damn if I don't taste some oak in there as well.

I'll be curious to see how these four cases evolve over the next, um, year? If I can make them last that long. God I love this stuff.

Scott Everson

#168 Post by Scott Everson »

For reference, my daughter with JP 15 months ago.
Attachments
IMAG0338.jpg
IMAG0338.jpg (13.14 KiB) Viewed 2254 times

Scott Everson

#169 Post by Scott Everson »

Lastly, in related news, John Paul's mid-90s Astro minivan (the kind you find homeless people camping out in these days) met an apparent end in an accident some time ago. Now there's a Mercedes utility can? Man, Oregon is movin' on up. Ok, I'm done here for now. Thank you to John Paul and Tom and Phil.

I thought about doing a taste-off pitting CWVC vs Seth Morgan Long's Chard ($15 vs $50+), but if I'm going to spend $50+ on an Oregon white, it's going to be Abbey Ridge or Clos Electrique, so that idea was scratched.
Attachments
IMAG0714_1.jpg
IMAG0714_1.jpg (27.25 KiB) Viewed 2250 times

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#170 Post by Michae1 P0wers »

Scott Everson wrote:
IMAG0716.jpg
PSA: Cameron WV Chardonnay was bottled 9/21/2017. Most of it will go to New Seasons and Market of Choice. Upon initial pop-n-pour, the first few sips today feels more acidic and tastes like there's vastly less residual sugar, less lemon notes, but more salinity than in previous years. The sweetness and lemon comes around if I can let the wine sit in the glass for more than a couple minutes, which is really hard for me to do. I have affectionately referred to the past two years of CWVC as adult Koolaid (I mean this most sincerely and most respectfully), but this year tastes like a step up professionally, at least from the '15. Damn if I don't taste some oak in there as well.

I'll be curious to see how these four cases evolve over the next, um, year? If I can make them last that long. God I love this stuff.
Scott, thanks for the note. Any idea who sells this and ships?

S t e p h e nK
GCC Member
GCC Member

#171 Post by S t e p h e nK »

Thank you for the update. I will be looking for it at NS. Or contact JP directly??? I purchased 4 cases of the 14. Didn't get/see as much of the '15
Stephen Krug

Rick Allen
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#172 Post by Rick Allen »

Scott Everson wrote:Lastly, in related news, John Paul's mid-90s Astro minivan (the kind you find homeless people camping out in these days) met an apparent end in an accident some time ago. Now there's a Mercedes utility can? Man, Oregon is movin' on up. Ok, I'm done here for now. Thank you to John Paul and Tom and Phil.

I thought about doing a taste-off pitting CWVC vs Seth Morgan Long's Chard ($15 vs $50+), but if I'm going to spend $50+ on an Oregon white, it's going to be Abbey Ridge or Clos Electrique, so that idea was scratched.
Actually, John had a Volkswagen van that he had for years before the Mercedes. The Mercedes is nice because it's smaller, gets over 24 mpg on the highway, yet will still carry over a ton of cargo. I have a red one.

Scott Everson

#173 Post by Scott Everson »

No DTC sales. The '15 all went to Market of Choice. As soon as I see it in New Seasons and Market of Choice I'll update this post and maybe I'll pick up some cases and ship some out to interested Berserkers. It's the least I can do since I still don't pay Todd, and I learned about Cameron through this site.

Again, no DTC sales (unless Rick knows something I don't ). He doesn't care to involve himself in millions of emails and bitchy customers and all that crap. Had I made eye contact with him he would have probably have kicked me off the property. He insists on being addressed as Your Excellency. It's like that.

Scott Everson

#174 Post by Scott Everson »

It being the '16 WVC

Rick Allen
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#175 Post by Rick Allen »

Scott Everson wrote: Again, no DTC sales (unless Rick knows something I don't ). He doesn't care to involve himself in millions of emails and bitchy customers and all that crap. Had I made eye contact with him he would have probably have kicked me off the property. He insists on being addressed as Your Excellency. It's like that.
John's business model calls for self-distribution and no direct to consumer sales. This means that he isn't competing with his customers, and provides him with more privacy than those that "live above the store".

Sean_S
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#176 Post by Sean_S »

Any Suggestions on where to get any cameron chard. Sec, Vinopolis are out. Manged to get a few dundee hills from K&L. Should have gotten more. Now I understand the fuss.....

Sean
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY
1999 Domaine Jamet Côte-Rôtie

2021 WOTY Candidates

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#177 Post by dsGriswold »

There is some Vincent Chard available and It does not suck. [wow.gif]
DennisG

Sean_S
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#178 Post by Sean_S »

no doubt. Bought 2+ cases of Vincent this year plus magnums.......
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY

2021 WOTY Candidates

Scott Everson

#179 Post by Scott Everson »

Willamette Valley Chardonnay should drop any day now at Market of Choice (if you live in Oregon). Liner & Elsen (my favorite, I have affiliation ) routinely and currently carries JP's pricier stuff. I guess if you say K&L then you live in California. So Liner & Elsen.

Dave H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#180 Post by Dave H. »

Scott Everson wrote:Willamette Valley Chardonnay should drop any day now at Market of Choice (if you live in Oregon). Liner & Elsen (my favorite, I have affiliation ) routinely and currently carries JP's pricier stuff. I guess if you say K&L then you live in California. So Liner & Elsen.
Shouldn’t the ‘16 Dundee Hills Chard also come out any time? Basing that solely on an order of ‘15 I made around this time last year.
Hendrik

Louis Demers

#181 Post by Louis Demers »

As much as I would like to venture out in this region, I live in a monopole controled province...

I have :
Domaine Loubejac Chardonnay 2016 26$
A to Z Chardonnay 2015 26$
Eola Hills Chardonnay 2015 26$
Bachelder Chardonnay Oregon 2014 31$
Winderlea Chardonnay 2014 57$

and the rest is way too high for me to got into now...

suggestions ?

Rick Allen
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#182 Post by Rick Allen »

Louis Demers wrote:As much as I would like to venture out in this region, I live in a monopole controled province...

I have :
Domaine Loubejac Chardonnay 2016 26$
A to Z Chardonnay 2015 26$
Eola Hills Chardonnay 2015 26$
Bachelder Chardonnay Oregon 2014 31$
Winderlea Chardonnay 2014 57$

and the rest is way too high for me to got into now...

suggestions ?
From this list, I would try the Bachelder and the Winderlea. Bachelder makes wine in Oregon, Ontario, and Burgundy and does a really good job. The Winderlea is made by Robert Brittan, and I consider him one of the better/best Chardonnay producers in Oregon.

Louis Demers

#183 Post by Louis Demers »

Thaks I'll grab a couple !

Greg Malcolm
GCC Member
GCC Member

#184 Post by Greg Malcolm »

Dave H. wrote:Shouldn’t the ‘16 Dundee Hills Chard also come out any time? Basing that solely on an order of ‘15 I made around this time last year.
I received my first e-mail blast for the 2016 Cameron DH Chardonnay yesterday.

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#185 Post by Brian Tuite »

Todd Hamina wrote:
Keith Levenberg wrote:I'm more curious why people are still paying $300 for premoxed white burgundies.
This is a much better question.
Searching for that sweet spot [stirthepothal.gif]
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

Sean_S
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#186 Post by Sean_S »

Scott Everson wrote:Willamette Valley Chardonnay should drop any day now at Market of Choice (if you live in Oregon). Liner & Elsen (my favorite, I have affiliation ) routinely and currently carries JP's pricier stuff. I guess if you say K&L then you live in California. So Liner & Elsen.
I'm waiting. Thanks for the tips....

Sean
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY

2021 WOTY Candidates

Scott Everson

#187 Post by Scott Everson »

No affiliation. I have no affiliation w/L&E.

Some day I think I'm going to pit a 2011 or 2012 Marcassin Chard against a Cameron Clos Electrique Chard to see which I prefer, or maybe an Abbey Ridge too, since I've never had any of my Marcassin yet and never JP's pricey stuff either.

Sean_S
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#188 Post by Sean_S »

Liner and Elsen has the 2016 Cameron Dundee Hills. Just ordered a case.....

Total: 230.83 delivered to Santa Clara, CA.

SCORE! champagne.gif

http://wineshop.linerandelsen.com/camer ... p8648.aspx

now if I could only find a place to ship the Williamette Valley Bottling.....

Sean
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY

2021 WOTY Candidates

Scott Everson

#189 Post by Scott Everson »

That's $19.25 per bottle including delivery. Cost in the store is $18.99. What do they give, a 10% case discount? So $17.09 per bottle x12 ..... so they can ship a case to California for $25.75? Do they eat some costs on that, or do businesses get a discount and ship at a cheaper cost than the average Joe? UPS says it would cost me $36 to ship a case of wine to 95044.

Sean_S
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#190 Post by Sean_S »

I was confused at first too.......

Then I saw this...

"Special full case discount! Buy 12 bottles of this item and receive an additional 5% off."

12 x $18.04 $216.48

Subtotal $216.48
Order Discount - $21.65
Sales Tax $0.00
Shipping $36.00
Order Total $230.83

Sean
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY

2021 WOTY Candidates

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#191 Post by brigcampbell »

Best Oregon Chardonnay I've tasted. Cost $53 out the door. Worth it IMHO.
  • 2011 Domaine Serene Chardonnay Evenstad Reserve - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (1/1/2018)
    New Years 2018: This is a fantastic wine. This is pretty dark gold, if this was a white burg there'd be real concern. No problems here, beautiful looking wine. Crazy good nose, lots of baking spices. Baked apples comes to mind. Yellow fruit, pear and apple, and a hint of oil, smooth mouthfeel with a glycerin aspect. Excellent balance.
Posted from CellarTracker

Brady Daniels
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Why is Oregon chardonnay so expensive?

#192 Post by Brady Daniels »

rfelthoven wrote: April 30th, 2016, 2:28 pm I predict we will be laughing at this thread topic in 5 years.
I just reread this thread which had a little bit of everything. But this gem from Ron seems particularly fitting.

After an autumn and winter drinking terrific Goodfellow 2018 WV chard for less than $20/bottle, I had to laugh.
-Brady D on CT - Omnivinovore

S teve R edenbaugh
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#193 Post by S teve R edenbaugh »

Nice to see this old thread revisited. Laughable. The quality level of the Oregon Chards I'm buying, drinking, loving is comparable to what? Aubert, Marcassin, Pahlmeyer, Rhys, Ceritas, Litterai, Arnot-Robert, Konnigsgaard, Kistler, Ferrin, Peter Michael, Ramey, William Selyem? If anything, Willamette Chardonnay represent one of the best bargains in the vinous wold today.

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#194 Post by Brian Tuite »

S teve R edenbaugh wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 12:12 pm Nice to see this old thread revisited. Laughable. The quality level of the Oregon Chards I'm buying, drinking, loving is comparable to what? Aubert, Marcassin, Pahlmeyer, Rhys, Ceritas, Litterai, Arnot-Robert, Konnigsgaard, Kistler, Ferrin, Peter Michael, Ramey, William Selyem? If anything, Willamette Chardonnay represent one of the best bargains in the vinous wold today.
Had my first Walter Scott Chard a couple weeks ago. Cuveé Anna, it was fantastic
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#195 Post by Marcus Goodfellow »

Brady Daniels wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 11:38 am
rfelthoven wrote: April 30th, 2016, 2:28 pm I predict we will be laughing at this thread topic in 5 years.
I just reread this thread which had a little bit of everything. But this gem from Ron seems particularly fitting.

After an autumn and winter drinking terrific Goodfellow 2018 WV chard for less than $20/bottle, I had to laugh.
Thank you! The Zoom tasting we did with Rick Allen was a great reminder of how good WV Chardonnays compare to Chardonnay from other great regions. And what a great value a lot of the wines here are.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Brady Daniels
GCC Member
GCC Member

#196 Post by Brady Daniels »

Marcus Goodfellow wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 3:30 pm Thank you! The Zoom tasting we did with Rick Allen was a great reminder of how good WV Chardonnays compare to Chardonnay from other great regions. And what a great value a lot of the wines here are.
Sad I missed that!
-Brady D on CT - Omnivinovore

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#197 Post by Jim Anderson »

About to bottle our 2019 (on our slick new bottling line no less). It’s definitely the best of an ever improving lot, small sample size aside. Nonetheless, based on our SBs I am willing to bet that Oregon whites, Chardonnay in particular, are at an apex in this vintage. Haven’t tried many from barrel because, you know, Covid and all but I’m guessing that if I made what I think is our best Chardonnay people like Marcus and Ken and others that actually know what they’re doing are sitting on some serious cheddar.
Co-owner, Patricia Green Cellars

Brian Glas

#198 Post by Brian Glas »

Just visited Willakenzie. Their chardonnays have really improved with the new winemaker and owners. The chards used to be an afterthought. No longer. I am liking them better than their pinots.

Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#199 Post by Adam Frisch »

Friend just got on the Antica Terra list after a few years waiting. Their PN is 125 bones. So is their Chardonnay. That caught him a bit off-guard. "I can deal with $125 for a PN, but for a Chard?".

US wine market is not for the faint of heart. Or thinness of wallet.
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#200 Post by Mark Y »

Adam Frisch wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 8:53 pm Friend just got on the Antica Terra list after a few years waiting. Their PN is 125 bones. So is their Chardonnay. That caught him a bit off-guard. "I can deal with $125 for a PN, but for a Chard?".

US wine market is not for the faint of heart. Or thinness of wallet.
Antica Terra is not close to representing the vast majority of oregon chardonnay tho. They are great people but saying your friend got on AT and was caught off guard with Oregon prices is like saying my friend got on the scarecrow list and now CA is all mega priced. ;)
Y.e.

Return to “Wine Talk”