TN: 2007 Sea Smoke Pinot Noir Southing

• 2007 Sea Smoke Pinot Noir Southing - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Rita Hills - Sta. Rita Hills (11/4/2009)
    This is the second time that I have had this wine, and yes, I am killing babies here, but of all of the Sea Smoke that I have had, this is by far the vintage most in need of a long aging period. Once you can get past the imbalance with the 14.5% ABV, and the pretty intense candied fruits, there are some amazing flavors of dusty and damp earth, deep dark berries, all spice and mint. I am thinking that this wine will be absolutely dynamite in about 10 years when the glycerine and alcohol integrate. For me, this is unfortunate because I typically enjoy Sea Smoke in the short term, but these will have to be hidden away. This just won’t show well without some serious bottle time, IMO.

Day 2 - It has certainly softened and and smoothed out. Completely silky smooth texture. Similar flavor profile as yesterday with the sweet spices, damp earth, black berries and black cherries. I am still struggling with the alcohol balance here. I sure hope this dies down with time or this will be a bit of a disappointment from a producer that I love in what was said to be a great vintage for Central CA pinot. 92 for it’s potential, but fingers are crossed. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I think I might try another one of mine but give it a 24 hour decant first.

A 24 hour decant did wonders for this wine. Dare I say that it has perhaps become even slightly elegant? Proper note to follow once we’ve gone through the bottle.