Limerick Lane Furmint/Hárslevelü

I ordered a 2015 Furmint/Hárslevelü from Limerick Lane yesterday. This is a blend of two Hungarian varieties Ferment, and Hárslevelü, commonly associated with Tokaji. While I believe that these are from Jake’s Estate RRV vineyard, Jancis’ Wine Grapes does not indicate that either of these varieties are grown to any extent in California.

Has anyone tried this wine? Thoughts?

I have not had the LL edition, but last year I had a Matthiasson bottling of the same grapes. I think they got the fruit from Jake.

I really enjoyed it last year. It was a pop and pour with two reds that I shared with a couple of people at the local wine shop (I used to bring stuff up there to taste).

The things that stick in my mind are the apple cider-like fruit, the easy drinking quality, and the surprising lightly creamy texture.

In my uneducated anticipation, I expected it to be crisp, higher acid, and perhaps more complex. It was not, in any way, disappointing. I simply had no frame of reference, aside from a Tokai dessert wine.

I had it last year at LL and liked it, with similar notes to Drew

Nope, Mike…not tried the '15 version yet. Just ordered 3 btls, though. I’ll Pobega one when it arrives.
My note on the '14 from a yr ago:

1. LimerickLane 70% Furmint/30% Harslevelu EG/RRV/SonomaCnty (11.8%; > www.LimerickLaneWines.com> ; 50 cs;
    Healdsburg 2014: Light gold color; lightly fragrant/perfumed quite peppery/cracked pepper/spicy/herbal/stony
    slight earthy/chalky very attractive nose; quite tart/lean very peppery/spicy bit herbal/stony/earthy/chalky/
    perfumed talc lightly floral/mango somewhat austere flavor; very long quite peppery/cracked pepper some stony/
    mineral/perfumed talc/chalky finish; has more of the lean/austere character I associate w/ Harslevelu; quite
    an interesting rendition of Furmint that will appeal to the IPoB cabal…not something commonly found in a
    LimerickLane wine; reminds me a lot of the HeidiSchrock Austrian Furmint. $36.00

The Furmint was planted almost 20 yrs ago by MikeCollins (previous LL owner), who really liked Tojaji. His hope was to make
a sweet Furmint a la Tokaji. Alas not enough botrytis to do that consistently. But Mike did make a number of LateHrvst (non-botrytis)
Furmints that were pretty good in an Italian Passito-style wine.
When the Bilbros bought LL, I made it very clear to Jake if they took out the Furmint…there’d be hell to pay.
He was, of course, cowed by my admonition!! [snort.gif]
To my knowledge, this is pretty much the only Furmint/Harslevelu planting in Calif. I think Jake/Scott have in mind to
make w/ Kevin/BergamotAlley a dessert Furmint, but haven’t heard anything about that effort of late.
Tom

Glad you delivered that message to the new owners Tom, hope to see more of these grapes in CA, and also hope to see more and more imported from Hungary.

Thanks Tom and everyone. I look forward to my F/H with great anticipation!

Yup, Robert…over the last 5-7 yrs, I’ve been seeing more truly excellent dry to off-dry Furmints from Tokaji region
then ever before. After decades of being beaten down by Socailist regimes, those countries are really starting
to get their game on. I’m beginning to think that those stinkin’ Commies did more to damage to the WineWorld than
CarrieNation & Prohibition. Friggin’ Communists!! [stirthepothal.gif]
Tom

Opened a 2014 tonight. Lovely wine. Pears, pineapple, powdered honey. Creamy texture but with a good backbone of acid. Should please white burgundy fans.

I appreciate your TN, Kyle. I was kinda wondering how it could stand up to a little age.

In my uneducated anticipation, I expected it to be crisp, higher acid, and perhaps more complex. It was not, in any way, disappointing. I simply had no frame of reference, aside from a Tokai dessert wine.

Drew - think something like Muscadet or Chenin Blanc but not as grassy. The best are lean and almost austere and bone dry.

Thanks, Greg!