Which Champagne are you drinking?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Which Champagne are you drinking?

#951 Post by Frank Murray III » January 19th, 2020, 7:40 pm

The Longitude a few weeks ago was fantastic. Then tonight the Terre de Vertus. Larmandier-Bernier is making some delicious wines. I ended up reloading more of both tonight as these are BdBs that just drink to my palate.
  • 2012 Larmandier-Bernier Champagne Terre de Vertus Premier Cru - France, Champagne (1/19/2020)
    First of two. Zero dosage. The texture on this is delicious. yellow apple, pear, tangerine, with a lot of lemon zest and some curd wrapping it all together. A smooth, balanced expression. There is a toasted quality to this, assuming it is raised in some wood? Will get more, as this is very good, pleasing style, especially for no dosage.
Posted from CellarTracker
My best wines for 2020:
2014 Marie Courtin Champagne Efflorescence Extra Brut
2012 Minière F & R Champagne Influence Brut
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM
2015 Ulysse Collin Champagne Les Pierrières
2014 Laherte Frères Champagne BdB EB Les Grands Crayeres

Kindness matters. Dignity matters. Accountability matters. Respect matters. LEADERSHIP MATTERS!

Brad Baker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#952 Post by Brad Baker » January 20th, 2020, 8:58 am

Frank,

Great note. I really like the 2012 Terre de Vertus too. I think this is mostly or all oak as steel and enamel lined tanks have slowly been phased out. The oak is from Stockinger and is of various sizes (barrels and foudres) and ages (nothing new) so more of a subtle touch, but you can tell. I thought the 2012 was the best Terre de Vertus they had made in the 2000s so far... until the 2013 which is a notch higher with more freshness an brightness compared to the 2012, but still the same creamy texture. For a no dosage Champagne, this is extremely well balanced. I doubt many would guess this as anything under 4 g/L.

***Edited for incorrect spelling of 'Stockinger' in the fourth sentence.
Last edited by Brad Baker on February 5th, 2020, 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad Baker
The Champagne Warrior

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#953 Post by Frank Murray III » January 20th, 2020, 9:06 am

Brad, thanks for the feedback. Last night, I went out to the web and grabbed some more of the 2012 Terre de Vertus (and also Longitude, as that wine is damn good, too), picking it up from Sec Wines in Portland. The pricing was strong so it made the reload easier too!

To your point, I've had my fair share of zero dose in the past few years, with some showing the style more overtly than others. You're dead on about the Terre de Vertus, as to guess that wine is zero dosage seems counter to how it tastes. If the next bottle I have of it shows as well as this one yesterday did, I'll put that wine on my 2020 WOTY list. Great bottle.

Of note, I sent a message to the winery last night about visiting this year and Arthur got back to me this morning. Since I didn't visit the CdB in 2018, I'm trying to work some of that into the trip this year and see some folks there.
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

Kindness matters. Dignity matters. Accountability matters. Respect matters. LEADERSHIP MATTERS!

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#954 Post by Warren Taranow » January 20th, 2020, 8:50 pm

Last night, a beautiful 2004 Taittinger Comte BdB that didn’t quite reach the stunning performance of my last bottle. Bottle variation was less likely than palate variation, IMHO.

Tonight, a gorgeous 1998 Vilmart Grand Cellier d’Or. This was my third of four bottles, all bought on auction around five years ago. This was the most advanced bottle of those I’ve opened. Some cider notes that weren’t present in the earlier bottles, but it was subtle and added to the complexity. Very spicy and dense. The bead has weakened substantially compared to my other bottles. I’ll drink my last within a year or two.
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#955 Post by Blake Brown » January 21st, 2020, 8:17 am

Warren Taranow wrote:
January 20th, 2020, 8:50 pm
Last night, a beautiful 2004 Taittinger Comte BdB that didn’t quite reach the stunning performance of my last bottle. Bottle variation was less likely than palate variation, IMHO.

Tonight, a gorgeous 1998 Vilmart Grand Cellier d’Or. This was my third of four bottles, all bought on auction around five years ago. This was the most advanced bottle of those I’ve opened. Some cider notes that weren’t present in the earlier bottles, but it was subtle and added to the complexity. Very spicy and dense. The bead has weakened substantially compared to my other bottles. I’ll drink my last within a year or two.
Nice notes Warren. I especially like the concept of palate variation as that gets overlooked a lot in favor of bottle differences. It's a huge point INHO.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

B. Buzzini
GCC Member
GCC Member

#956 Post by B. Buzzini » January 21st, 2020, 7:48 pm

Another Krug 168...wife’s bday...she LOVES this wine...I’m in trouble! [shock.gif]
Meursault-head!

B. = Brian

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#957 Post by Blake Brown » January 23rd, 2020, 5:43 pm

Although I just posted this separately, I'm placing here as well for those who might miss it:

2012 LOUIS ROEDERER CRISTAL- I just picked up 3 of 6 bottles I’ve ordered and was too curious to see what the potential was for this youngster so, here is the first trial; I guess I should have waited, but at least it is confirmed, it needs a lot of time; no question, this will be a good one as it has bright acidity, loads of fresh citrus with lemon lime most prominent and subtle accents of spice and toasty brioche; the fruit was a bit tart at first, but that dissipated; overall, it had an element of elegance, but just needs time to evolve, balance and flesh out and come together.

Cheers,
Blake
Attachments
71E964B9-8B9C-4CC5-A55A-2907687F3452_1_201_a.jpeg
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#958 Post by Frank Murray III » January 23rd, 2020, 5:56 pm

Thanks BB. I've yet to taste the 2012 Cristal but I'm going to fix that soon, I promise you. Thanks for the note and your impressions, buddy.
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#959 Post by Blake Brown » January 23rd, 2020, 6:51 pm

Frank Murray III wrote:
January 23rd, 2020, 5:56 pm
Thanks BB. I've yet to taste the 2012 Cristal but I'm going to fix that soon, I promise you. Thanks for the note and your impressions, buddy.
You're one of the folks I thought about when I posted it Brother Frank.
Napolean Bonaparte

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#960 Post by Blake Brown » January 24th, 2020, 6:49 am

I guess I should also add the other champagnes we had at the dinner I alluded to with the 12` Cristal with complete TNs in a separate thread forthcoming:

2008 BOLLINGER LA GRANDE ANNEE BRUT- 71% Pinot Noir, 29% Chardonnay from 18 crus, mainly Aÿ and Verzenay for the Pinot Noir, Le Mesnil-sur-Oger and Cramant for the Chardonnay; dosage 8 gpl; this was the antithesis of the 12` Cristal and absolutely fabulous being full bodied, rich and creamy; it was loaded with wondrous flavors that included toasty brioche, spice and honey laden lemon zest with hints of orange peel, kiwi and golden delicious apple.

1995 TAITTINGER COMTES DE CHAMPAGNE BLANC de BLANC- the champagne of the vintage IMHO and better than the 96` for many years until more recently when the latter really came around and is shining brightly now; I’ve drunk all of my stash up, but one of our members brought this and I could have kissed him; it was truly outstanding, so much so it was tied for WOTN with a Merlot; it has huge, inviting nose of toasted honeysuckle, almond butter, butterscotch and white peach which continued on while being delivered in a creamy, super rich textured medium; it had impeccable balance and a nice, long welcomed finish; again, IMHO, this is as good as any older ones I've had including 83`, 85` or 88`.

NV LAUNOIS LES MESNIL-SUR-OGER BRUT ROSE- this was lovely with rose petal aromas and not too sweet and toasty strawberry and red raspberry fruit all the way through; it was of medium body and weight and had an elegant mousse that sealed the deal.

NV ANDRE CHENIN BRUT TRADITION BLANC de NOIR- this is a blend of various pinot noir base wines that gets 3 years on lees as evidenced by its subtle toasty element that accompanied nice sweet red cherry/ berry fruit; it was easy on the palate, fun and refreshing.

Cheers,
Blake
Napolean Bonaparte

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#961 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » January 24th, 2020, 6:57 am

Krug 167: (from 375) initially searing acidity which integrated after about half an hour. Decent amount of fruit. After half an hour this was pretty good but nowhere near as generous as the 168. I have about 3 375s and 3 750s left and am going to hold for at least a couple years.

I have another glass still in the bottle under vacuum so we’ll see how it is tonight.

Will probably drink up some of my 163s then maybe a 2004 and hold off on popping much Krug except the occasional half of 168 in 375.

Keeping a few bottles of each for a future vertical.

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#962 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » January 24th, 2020, 7:08 am

Blake Brown wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 6:49 am

1995 TAITTINGER COMTES DE CHAMPAGNE BLANC de BLANC- the champagne of the vintage IMHO and better than the 96` for many years until more recently when the latter really came around and is shining brightly now; I’ve drunk all of my stash up, but one of our members brought this and I could have kissed him; it was truly outstanding, so much so it was tied for WOTN with a Merlot; it has huge, inviting nose of toasted honeysuckle, almond butter, butterscotch and white peach which continued on while being delivered in a creamy, super rich textured medium; it had impeccable balance and a nice, long welcomed finish; again, IMHO, this is as good as any older ones I've had including 83`, 85` or 88`.
Agree with you on the '95 CdC. It's my favorite vintage of it until we go back to '76.
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#963 Post by Blake Brown » January 24th, 2020, 7:16 am

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 7:08 am
Blake Brown wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 6:49 am

Agree with you on the '95 CdC. It's my favorite vintage of it until we go back to '76.
I like your use of the word "we" regarding going back to 76`. I'd love to, but never had it.
Napolean Bonaparte

Nathan V.

#964 Post by Nathan V. » January 24th, 2020, 12:08 pm

Brian S t o t t e r wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 6:32 pm
Slightly off topic, but does anyone subscribe to Peter Liem’s Champagne guide subscription service? Worth it?
I think so. Peter is my Yoda of Champagne. He lives there and has for at least a decade. No substitute for boots on the ground. You should buy his book as well. A great resource.
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#965 Post by Frank Murray III » January 24th, 2020, 12:15 pm

Agree on the book. An excellent resource, I have read it twice.
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#966 Post by Frank Murray III » January 26th, 2020, 4:32 pm

• 2008 Larmandier-Bernier Champagne Grand Cru Vieille Vigne du Levant Extra Brut - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (1/26/2020)
    Using the bottle etching around the base, it would appear this was disgorged Sept 2016, which sounds like 8 years on the lees to me. We opened this last night and In recognized it took some air for the structure to develop, as it started off a bit soft initially. With the air, the chalky/mineral inflection increased. So, decided to bring home the last glass and keep it overnight, but using only a natural cork, it lost the CO2 overnight and is pretty well still today. Lightly bronzy/gold in the glass. Some toasty bruised green apple, pear, tangy lemon from the acidity, along with some slatey mineral in the finish. I actually like this better today, as a mostly still wine as it drinks like a cool, complex Chardonnay.
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#967 Post by Blake Brown » January 26th, 2020, 5:09 pm

NV HENRI GIRAUD SPRIT BRUT ROSE- 70% Pinot Noir, 22% Chardonnay; from a bottle purchased over 6 years ago, this was as lively as its copper red color; it had an abundance of strawberry and red cherry with accents of clove and spice; the mousse was rich and creamy in this full bodied beauty which had a crisp and lingering finish.

Cheers,
Blake
Attachments
539F885E-C87C-44E8-AA1B-C22B63F89531_1_201_a.jpeg
Napolean Bonaparte

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#968 Post by Merrill Lindquist » January 26th, 2020, 5:15 pm

JM Seleque Solessence 7 Villages. First time around with this. Nice - but cannot describe at the moment. Just opened.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#969 Post by Charlie Carnes » January 26th, 2020, 5:19 pm

Merrill Lindquist wrote:
January 26th, 2020, 5:15 pm
JM Seleque Solessence 7 Villages. First time around with this. Nice - but cannot describe at the moment. Just opened.
7V is always great! Today I drank a beautiful Paul Bara Rosé, that was the bomb. I followed with a 2017 Raventos De Nit Cava Rosé, that was also supremely awesome!
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#970 Post by Frank Murray III » January 27th, 2020, 5:39 pm

• NV Jacquesson & Fils Champagne Cuvée No. 742 - France, Champagne (1/27/2020)
    First of three I bought in 2019. Base is 2014, disgorged July 2018, with 1.5 g/l dosage. I believe this is roughly 60/40, Pinot and Chard, respectively. The Chard comes through in this, as I can sense it in the flavor profile, with the apple, light pear and lemon peel flavor. As for the Pinot Noir, once the Chard comes through, then some of the berry notes and toasted elements finish the wine. What impresses me here is that the mix of intensity and fruit all works well, along with some structure in the finish that leaves its presence on the back of the palate. Terrific at this point for my palate.
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#971 Post by Warren Taranow » January 27th, 2020, 6:52 pm

Nathan V. wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 12:08 pm
January 2nd, 2020, 6:32 pm
Slightly off topic, but does anyone subscribe to Peter Liem’s Champagne guide subscription service? Worth it?
I think so. Peter is my Yoda of Champagne. He lives there and has for at least a decade. No substitute for boots on the ground. You should buy his book as well. A great resource.
Frank Murray III wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 12:15 pm
Agree on the book. An excellent resource, I have read it twice.
I subscribe and use it quite a bit. It's a great resource. I just bought his book here. It seems like quite a deal for $45. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Cheers,
Warren

CT - WST

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#972 Post by Warren Taranow » January 27th, 2020, 6:57 pm

Jeez, turning 60 a few months ago seems to have changed my attitude and drinking habits. In other words, more frequently than not, we're "drinking the good stuff". 2004 Taittinger Comte the other night was stunning, and it was equaled by the Krug 168 eme the following night. (Off topic, but tonight we settled down with a nice Arnot Roberts 2015 Trout Gulch Chardonnay).

Live well,
Warren

CT - WST

bob parsons alberta

#973 Post by bob parsons alberta » January 29th, 2020, 11:23 pm

N.V. Champagne Collet Champagne Art Déco Brut (France, Champagne) .
A blend of 40% Chardonnay, 40% Pinot Noir and 20% Pinot Meunier; Nice fine mousse , thought a very fine appearance. Found some ripeness on the nose with floral and mineral notes; Nice refreshing finish with decent length. New on the shelf downtown...$70.00 Cdn. Also saw Dampierre Cuvee des Ambassadeurs.

Hank Victor
GCC Member
GCC Member

#974 Post by Hank Victor » January 30th, 2020, 4:22 pm

Can anyone help me with a question?

When did Voirin-Jumel switch from RM to NM? Just picked up a bottle and did a double take on the classification.
- ITB
Take a chance, Columbus did..

H V br1M@

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#975 Post by Warren Taranow » January 30th, 2020, 5:36 pm

Hank Victor wrote:
January 30th, 2020, 4:22 pm

When did Voirin-Jumel switch from RM to NM? Just picked up a bottle and did a double take on the classification.
I can’t answer that specifically, but it is probably related to the factors in this article:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=165846

Cheers
Warren

CT - WST

Hank Victor
GCC Member
GCC Member

#976 Post by Hank Victor » January 30th, 2020, 6:23 pm

Warren Taranow wrote:
January 30th, 2020, 5:36 pm
Hank Victor wrote:

I can’t answer that specifically, but it is probably related to the factors in this article:

Cheers
Warren
I figured. Thanks for sharing. I’m going to reach out to Alice and find out some more.
- ITB

H V br1M@

RossM

#977 Post by RossM » January 31st, 2020, 12:03 pm

2002 Pol Roger Vintage Brut. Wonderful, in a perfect spot. Ripe but not baked apples. Full, complex, balanced. Yum.
a.k.a. R0$$ M0RR1$0N

Hank Victor
GCC Member
GCC Member

#978 Post by Hank Victor » January 31st, 2020, 1:47 pm

Voirin-Jumel rose de saigne nv.

Delicious, deep colored and strong red fruited. Miles ahead of the Geoffrey rose de saigne I had on NYE and significantly cheaper.

Tasted with Sally.....
- ITB

H V br1M@

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#979 Post by Merrill Lindquist » February 1st, 2020, 5:18 pm

Philipponnat Royal Reserve Rose Brut. Could drink this all night, but will not share with Sally. Gorgeous and affordable. Sally is not.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#980 Post by Warren Taranow » February 1st, 2020, 10:12 pm

2009 Roederer Cristal; early 2020, but WOTY so far.

CT - WST

Douglas Breen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#981 Post by Douglas Breen » February 1st, 2020, 10:54 pm

1995 Comtes Taittinger- amazing! I am really becoming a Blanc de Blanc fan. Aging so well with a ways to go. Wish I had more.

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#982 Post by Craig G » February 1st, 2020, 11:15 pm

We had the Chartogne Taillet Les Barres Pinot Noir last night at State Bird and Ulysse Collin 2013 Les Maillons tonight at Cala. Great stuff.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#983 Post by Jay Miller » February 3rd, 2020, 11:32 am

I opened the NV Calsac Rose last week. A bit disappointing, not my favorite Calsac by a long shot.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#984 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » February 3rd, 2020, 11:55 am

Douglas Breen wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 10:54 pm
1995 Comtes Taittinger- amazing! I am really becoming a Blanc de Blanc fan. Aging so well with a ways to go. Wish I had more.
Great Champagne. My favorite vintage of CdC since 1976.

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#985 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » February 3rd, 2020, 11:58 am

For the Super Bowl, opened '82, '96, '02 and '08 Dom Perignon. The '82 and '96 were great, the '02 was solid but the '08 seems to have entered a closed phase base on this and my last couple of bottles.

Hank Victor
GCC Member
GCC Member

#986 Post by Hank Victor » February 3rd, 2020, 11:59 am

Chartogne-Taillet Chemin de Reims 2013 was killer this weekend.
- ITB

H V br1M@

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#987 Post by Warren Taranow » February 3rd, 2020, 2:23 pm

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
February 3rd, 2020, 11:58 am
Dom Perignon...'08 seems to have entered a closed phase base on this and my last couple of bottles.
Ray,

I'm glad you mentioned this. I was planning to open an '08 at a wine tasting I donated to a local charity. I'll probably go with an '09 instead.

Cheers,
Warren

CT - WST

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#988 Post by Frank Murray III » February 3rd, 2020, 5:57 pm

Hank Victor wrote:
February 3rd, 2020, 11:59 am
Chartogne-Taillet Chemin de Reims 2013 was killer this weekend.
Nice. I drank one last August and enjoyed it. I still have not opened any of the 2012 yet.
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#989 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » February 3rd, 2020, 6:09 pm

Warren Taranow wrote:
February 3rd, 2020, 2:23 pm
R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
Dom Perignon...'08 seems to have entered a closed phase base on this and my last couple of bottles.
Ray,

I'm glad you mentioned this. I was planning to open an '08 at a wine tasting I donated to a local charity. I'll probably go with an '09 instead.

Cheers,
Warren
I'm gonna risk it and open a 2008 this Wednesday for a wine dinner.
CT: InZinity

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2018 Donnhoff Niederhauser Hermannshöhle GG
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

Pat Martin

#990 Post by Pat Martin » February 3rd, 2020, 6:39 pm

Enjoyed a 2002 Laurent-Perrier Brut on Friday. Delicious and classic stuff, probably at peak. Made me buy some of the 2008.
P@ tr!ck M 8rt!n

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#991 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » February 5th, 2020, 1:12 pm

February 3rd, 2020, 6:09 pm
Warren Taranow wrote:
February 3rd, 2020, 2:23 pm
R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
Ray,

Cheers,
Warren
I'm gonna risk it and open a 2008 this Wednesday for a wine dinner.
My last few bottles were very enjoyable, just not as much as my previous ones.

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#992 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » February 5th, 2020, 1:17 pm

I thought it was pretty shut down last week too.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#993 Post by Neal.Mollen » February 5th, 2020, 1:37 pm

Danius Barzdukas wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 7:32 pm
i asked my wife about it today, and she said she didn't feel like arguing with me after drinking this, which was a good sign.
Buy cases!!!!

And Happy Anniversary
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Danius Barzdukas

#994 Post by Danius Barzdukas » February 5th, 2020, 3:03 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
February 5th, 2020, 1:37 pm
Danius Barzdukas wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 7:32 pm
i asked my wife about it today, and she said she didn't feel like arguing with me after drinking this, which was a good sign.
Buy cases!!!!

And Happy Anniversary
Yeah, then the argument would happen before any wine was even opened.

Thanks.

Frederico L e e

#995 Post by Frederico L e e » February 5th, 2020, 10:01 pm

Drank a Jacquesson Cuvee 740. It's so damn good at a reasonable price.

Curtis Chen

#996 Post by Curtis Chen » February 5th, 2020, 11:32 pm

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
For the Super Bowl, opened '82, '96, '02 and '08 Dom Perignon. The '82 and '96 were great, the '02 was solid but the '08 seems to have entered a closed phase base on this and my last couple of bottles.
Been saying this about 08 Dom, too. Not interested in popping any in the near term.
CellarTracker: Curtis Chen

Hank Victor
GCC Member
GCC Member

#997 Post by Hank Victor » February 6th, 2020, 1:59 pm

Hank Victor wrote:
January 30th, 2020, 6:23 pm
Warren Taranow wrote:
January 30th, 2020, 5:36 pm
Hank Victor wrote:

Cheers
Warren
I figured. Thanks for sharing. I’m going to reach out to Alice and find out some more.
If anyone cares...

Response from IG

"Hello, to keep the Freedom of our 4 children. But We change nothing Just none of our children have too stay together. Family business success respect freedom. That is thé secret"
- ITB

H V br1M@

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#998 Post by Frank Murray III » February 7th, 2020, 4:44 pm

• NV Larmandier-Bernier Longitude - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru (2/6/2020)
    Sourced another 2 bottles. This pair has an earlier disgorgement, showing June 2017 and a base of 2013. For what it's worth, these bottles (like Marie Courtin's) are etched with the disgorge and vintage info, appearing just above the bottom rim on the outside of the bottle. I'll give this TN in 2 pieces: one from tonight when we drank most of it and the other tomorrow from the bottle remnants I took home from the restaurant. Tonight's flavors were just a little richer than the bottle a few months ago (which is the 2018 disgorgement and 2014 base). There is a green apple that shows as honeyed, with also some cinnamon appearing (from the oak the wine sees, I'd guess). There was also some lime skin for the acidity. Will wrap up the note tomorrow once I can finish the wine....the bottle from last night went still, as I had used just a cork. Fascinating to drink this sans CO2, tricking my palate as if this is Chardonnay. Reminds me a bit of Rhys Chardonnay, with the polished texture, depth. Plump toned, with toasted lemon, some pear, an undercurrent of lime and a finishing kick of mineral and honeyed green apple into the finish. Shit, letting this go still was good fortune as the wine drinks even better without the CO2. These Longitudes are $45 in the US, and regardless of disgorgement (in the context of 2017 and 2018), this is a great wine. Yet, another Larmandier-Bernier winner.
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#999 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » February 9th, 2020, 11:59 am

'88 Dom Ruinart Rose - a little more advanced than it should be and showing a little oxidation. Still very enjoyable with good red fruit and some complexity. Excellent minus

'90 Krug - not usually a big fan of this Champagne out of 750ml but this was one of the best examples I've had from the format. Vibrant fruit, great acidity and lively effervescence. Staggering minus

'90 Pol Roger Jeroboam - while Champagne seems always taste and age best out of mag, jero's are always festive and scream "Party!" This has always performed at a high level and continued to deliver for over six hours. Smoky, rich with plenty of fruit and enough acidity to cut through the richness on the finish. Sadly my last Pol Roger in this format. Staggering

'02 Pierre Peters Chetillons - Very fragrant with dense fruit and still bracing acidity. While very enjoyable, I think some more bottle age will improve this significantly. For now, Excellent plus.

Matthew King
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1000 Post by Matthew King » February 9th, 2020, 12:56 pm

Had an 04 Krug last night in 750 to celebrate FIL’s 88th. He loved it, but man is that a high-acid, white-fruit neutron bomb.

Seemed very young to me. Slightly un-Kruglike in that I really didn’t pick up any oxidative notes.
"Please don't dominate the rap Jack if you've got nothing new to say." -- Robert Hunter

Return to “Wine Talk”