Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Which Champagne are you drinking?

#751 Post by K John Joseph » August 20th, 2019, 4:29 pm

Frank Murray III wrote:
August 20th, 2019, 4:06 pm
John, I spoke to Dr Jill and she has declined our idea to adopt. Sorry for that news.
Rats. I guess I'll have to buy my own damn champagne.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#752 Post by Frank Murray III » August 20th, 2019, 5:47 pm

John, look at the bright side here. You get to avoid drinking all the shrill, flavorless, low dosage garbage Champagne that I own. See, it all worked out.
My WOTY candidates for 2019:
2014 Marie Courtin Eloquence Blanc de Blancs Extra Brut
2017 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Occidental Ridge SC PN
2017 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Platt SC PN
2017 Kutch Pinot Noir SC PN
2009 Roederer Cristal Brut

My best wines of 2018:
2017 Kutch Falstaff Sonoma Coast PN
2012 Marguet La Grande Ruelle Ambonnay

Kindness matters.

EHeffner

#753 Post by EHeffner » August 22nd, 2019, 3:42 pm

Ployez Jacquemart extra quality brut - first time tasting this. Very nice! Tasty AF. Not overly complex but it doesn’t need to be. Perfect to have around in 375’s, which this was. Plan on buying more shortly!
E v @ n

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#754 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » August 22nd, 2019, 3:48 pm

'96 DP last night. Not quite at the level of the best '96's, but one of the more consistent as well as a really good Champagnes from the vintage.
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#755 Post by Frank Murray III » August 22nd, 2019, 5:46 pm

Another Dethune last night. Took the bottle to the grassy picnic area that sits to the north of the Montage Studio restaurant. Easy to drink this stuff, and this is bottle #30 that I have opened, or something close to it. I've bought more of this wine than any Champagne since I caught the bug and I continue to really enjoy the value of Dethune NV. While it was $35 when I first started buying it, now it's just around $41. Rock solid stuff.
  • NV Paul Dethune Champagne Brut Rosé - France, Champagne (8/21/2019)
    Man, I dig this Dethune Rose. I have bought so much of this wine, and the bottle we finished tonight was from the November 2015 disgorgement. This drinks with a good kick of acid, a blood orange kind of thing, supported by cherry and lime, with a dab of licorice. Good stuff and glad I have another 3 enroute as this was my last bottle on hand.
Posted from CellarTracker

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#756 Post by Frank Murray III » August 25th, 2019, 5:26 pm

I put these TNs in a separate thread, but in hommage to all things Champagne and my love for it, I am logging them here to help keep this thread going.

2019 SUNTACULAR--CHAMPAGNE TASTING TO RAISE MONEY FOR LAURA'S HOUSE - (8/25/2019)
  • 2012 Moussé Fils Champagne Terre d'illite Blanc de Noirs - France, Champagne
    Disgorged 02/17, 95% PM / 5% PN. 5 g/l dosage. Red berry, tangy, baked apple, good energy. I love the berry profile on this, and it's deceiving as the wine is clear.
  • NV Vouette et Sorbée Champagne Fidèle - France, Champagne
    Have to log this one as NV, as the back label stunk for any info. Seems like a different importer label or something? Cherry with some leaner tones. Chalky, slate. Went back to this later, and the aeration really helped to fill in the palate. Creamy cherry and the palate presence was terrific. Air this if you open.
  • NV Minière F & R Champagne Absolu Blanc De Blancs Brut - France, Champagne
    First of three that recently arrived from Europe. Disgorged 08/2018. Roughly 80% 2012 with the remainder 2011. 5.5 g/l dosage, 100% Chard. Floral. The wood shows through a bit on the palate, with a barrel/oak tone. The dosage on this wine always seems to give me a distinct richness, giving the green apple and lime a more generous quality. The finish on this bottle shows a good length, too. Revisited the wine later in the event, the lemon acidity really cranks up, as did some structure. Like with the Vouette ed Sorbee Fidele next to it, the aeration seemed elevate this wine.
  • 2012 Vazart-Coquart Champagne Grand Cru Grand Bouquet - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru
    4th bottle to date. Disgorged 12/2017. with 6 g/l dosage. Like with past bottles, this has a good core of green pippin apple, spicy/tangy, with some supporting chalk. The acidity in this bottle showed a good persistence, a brightness that I enjoyed.
  • 2012 Nathalie Falmet Champagne Tentation Rosée - France, Champagne
    Second of three bottles to date. Disgorged 06/2018, with 5 g/l dosage. This bottle showed even better than the previous one, exhibiting a steely, zesty quality, with citrus rind, blood orange and raspberry. Complexity and structure here that both complemented the wine well. Terrific showing, and with one left, need to source a few more.
  • NV Vilmart & Cie Champagne Premier Cru Grande Réserve - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru
    Past bottles of this have not always been to my liking, but I will say that this bottle really nailed it for me. Disgorged 06/2018, 70% PN / 30% Chard. No idea on the dosage but I think around 8 g/l is the usual? Chalky, with a citrusy bright acid that energized it. Some faint wood (barrel toast) showing, with some mineral and a measured richness. Rock solid for entry level Vilmart this time.
  • NV Paul Bara Champagne Grand Cru Brut Réserve - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru
    Second time I have had this wine (other was back in 2017) and I have to presume that these are different disgorgements; however, no way to tell as the back label stinks for info. And, no matter, as with in 2017 when I found the wine simple in tone, I have the same impression again. Smells matchsitcky/sulfury. Tastes one-dimensional, simple, with zesty lime. Did not care for this again.
  • NV Marc Hébrart Champagne Sélection Brut Premier Cru - France, Champagne
    No back label info. Spicy, with a good spine/structure but for me the wine is built too sweet for my liking. Finishes with lemon peel.
  • 2014 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Noirs Côte de Val Vilaine - France, Champagne
    Disgorged 04/2016. This one struck me for the balance and overall pleasure that it provides. Floral aromatic, with a cool purity and evenness that makes it hard to put down. Finishes with a touch of honey, reminding me some of the Marguet wines. Terrific.
  • 2008 Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin Champagne Brut Rosé Vintage - France, Champagne
    Disgorged 11/2016. Strawberry, crisp and zesty with a chewy grip to it.
  • NV Vilmart & Cie Champagne Premier Cru Cuvée Rubis - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru
    Getting close to a case of TNs for this wine. Disgorged 11/2017, with 90% PN / 10% Chard. Lime, strawberry with some moderate tension in the structure. Finishes with a good cut of citrus pith and chalky mineral.
  • NV Ruinart Champagne Brut Rosé - France, Champagne
    First time I have drank any of this wine. The bottle shape on these is horrible, and for some of us that had racked cellars, how the hell do you store this stuff? Also, no back label info so nothing to provide. Creamy red fruit, bright and chalky, with licorice, raspberry.
  • NV Henri Giraud Champagne Grand Cru Hommage A François Hemart Brut - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru
    This had a candied quality for me, with pear and ginger. Interesting wine, got me to think but not sure what to make of it.
  • NV Camille Savès Champagne Grand Cru Brut Rosé Bouzy - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru
    I have drank a lot of this wine, and it's consistently made well. Like with past bottles, this is peach colored, with a strawberry core, raspberry and stone fruit. Zesty, built well as usual, solid again.
  • 2013 Pierre Paillard Champagne Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs Acte 1 "Les Motelettes" - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru
    Had to add this to the database, so I wonder if these are bottles that are just making it now to the US for 2013. Disgorged 04/2018, with just under 2 g/l dosage. Pure green apple, slate, honeyed edges, zesty with good length and intensity. Good showing.
  • 2010 Champagne Suenen Champagne Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs Millésimé - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru
    Disgorged 12/2017, with 3 g/l dosage, 100% Chard. Leesy, yeasty, crunchy, with lemon and apple, along with dried herb. This showed a little rough to me, needing some better balance.
  • 2013 Chartogne-Taillet Champagne Chemin de Reims - France, Champagne
    Had a bottle of this just a few weeks ago. Disgorged 06/2018, 5 g/l dosage. I like it. Zesty, almond, green apple, saline with a good cut of citrus and a long finish. Showed well again.
  • NV Gruet Winery Brut Rosé - USA, New Mexico
    Toasty, creamy, with some sweetness. Brief impression I realize here, but the wine didn't really speak much to me.
  • 2008 Remy Massin Champagne Brut Millésimé - France, Champagne
    40% PN, 60% Chard--this is all the label data I could gather. The acidity on this wine is electric, with a lemony briskness that is hard to miss. Intense, chalky, a powerful wine. One of my top wines of the event.
  • 2008 Lilbert-Fils Champagne Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs Brut Cramant - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru
    Disgorged Summer 2014, with 7 g/l dosage. Honey, cinnamon, green apple and the dosage here was too high for me, rendering that 7-Up soda kind of quality that turns me off.
  • 2008 Godmé Père et Fils Chardonnay Champagne Premier Cru Extra Brut Les Alouettes Saint Bets - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru
    Disgorged 07/2017, 100% Chard. Not sure of the dosage on this. I bought a couple of these back in 2017, held onto them since that time. On a whim, we pulled this last night, and damn did this show excellent. Bright, intense citrus, with lively flavors yet in terrific balance. Stony, with some wood aromas. I went to look for more of this today and it's $106 US nearby my home, but that's nearly $45 more than I paid for these. So, do I spend to spend $120 US with tax to go replentish these? Gotta think on that one but have to say this was one of the best bottles of the day for me.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#757 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » August 28th, 2019, 9:43 am

Back in 2003 when the Concorde was grounded, British Airways reneged on their remaining special order bottles of 1985 Krug. I bought a fair amount of cases of it shortly thereafter and have enjoyed them for about the 15 past years, This was my last bottle. Disgorged about halfway between the original release and the Collection, these bottles were at their peak about five years ago. Imo, Krug didn't perform that well in 1985, and for me, this is by far the best disgorgement. Original '85's matured very rapidly, and i've never been a fan of the Collection. Pushing the limit of oxidative notes for me, even for a Krug, but enough classic Krug fruit and flavors to still make it enjoyable. Much better with food especially a dish recently added to Marea's menu - Granchio Reale - Norwegian king crab, hackelback caviar, potato pavé, melted leeks.
Krug Excellent, Crab Staggering minus.

IMG_1899.jpg
IMG_1902 (1).jpg
IMG_1903 (1).jpg

Steve Nordhoff
GCC Member
GCC Member

#758 Post by Steve Nordhoff » August 28th, 2019, 11:02 am

Cool story Ray, thanks for sharing.
ITB -Riverain Vineyards

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#759 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » August 29th, 2019, 6:10 pm

Krug 166, drinking remarkably well atm

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#760 Post by Frank Murray III » August 30th, 2019, 7:06 pm

• 2015 Benoit Dehu Champagne Initiation - France, Champagne (8/30/2019)
    Disgorged 02/2018, blend of PN and PM. Zero dosage. The PM comes from the Noyers plot, and the PN is massale selection that is planted to a Pommard selection from Burgundy. Farmed organic. Creamy, intense berry fruit. The finish has a bitter lime pith quality, along with a briny note that mixes in some mineral, too. Between the fruit intensity mixing with some the edgier structure, this creates a clean, precise experience. FWIW, second bottle in the past few weeks, with this one showing the best, and likely better too because it's just me with the glass, getting a complete read of the wine.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#761 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » August 31st, 2019, 10:49 am

Opened our first bottle of NV Eric Rodez Champagne Grand Cru Cuvée des Grands Vintages, from a lot disgorged in May 2016. While the nose was quite impressive, we found it a bit disjointed, with coarse bubbles. Still drinkable, but not nearly what I was expecting with the producer and cru. No signs of any flaws, not even flattened fruit from tiny amount of cork. No, it was a perfectly clean, undamaged bottle, it just didn't show well. Maybe more time?

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#762 Post by Kris Patten » August 31st, 2019, 10:54 am

Any opinions on Vollereaux?

Brut
Rose
Blanc de Blanc
Cuvee Marguerite

Cheers.
ITB

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#763 Post by Frank Murray III » September 2nd, 2019, 8:01 am

• NV Mouzon-Leroux & Fils Champagne Extra Brut Cuvée L'Atavique - France, Champagne (9/2/2019)
    Last bottle was 2 years ago, and the specs on the wine back label are much different. This is a great example as to why back label info matters, as well as why I appreciate tasters who take the time to tell me that info from their bottle. It adds some comparative value to the NV space and thinking. As to my bottle yesterday, disgorged 01/2018, with 2 g/l dosage, 70% PN, 30% Chard, with 75% from 2014 vintage, and the remaining 25% a mix of 2012 and 2013. This bottle was built nicely, balanced with some red fruit, some apple, tangy and brushed on the finish with some mineral and a kiss of honeyed sweetness.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#764 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » September 2nd, 2019, 8:25 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 10:49 am
Opened our first bottle of NV Eric Rodez Champagne Grand Cru Cuvée des Grands Vintages, from a lot disgorged in May 2016. While the nose was quite impressive, we found it a bit disjointed, with coarse bubbles. Still drinkable, but not nearly what I was expecting with the producer and cru. No signs of any flaws, not even flattened fruit from tiny amount of cork. No, it was a perfectly clean, undamaged bottle, it just didn't show well. Maybe more time?
Bought a few of each of his cuvees a couple of years ago. Besides his Rose, none of his other Champagnes impressed me. As you said, no flaws, but uninspiring.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#765 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » September 2nd, 2019, 8:33 am

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 8:25 am
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 10:49 am
Bought a few of each of his cuvees a couple of years ago. Besides his Rose, none of his other Champagnes impressed me. As you said, no flaws, but uninspiring.
Thanks Ray. That's helpful to know. We did the same - grabbed a few of this, the rose and the blancs de noir when they came along at great prices. Haven't tried the rose yet.

chetkern

#766 Post by chetkern » September 2nd, 2019, 9:14 am

Sarah-

Vintage Rodez Empreinte de Terroir GC Chardonnay and Ambonnay Pinot Noir are extremely impressive bottles needing lots more time to mature. 2008 Les Beurys which has an interesting story is a fabulous drink! I’ve never tasted any non vintage bottling, but I’m a big fan of his wine making!

Regards -

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#767 Post by Jay Miller » September 2nd, 2019, 10:58 am

Whenever I've tasted Rodez at La Fete du Champagne I've walked away unimpressed.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

EHeffner

#768 Post by EHeffner » September 2nd, 2019, 2:55 pm

Deutz brut classic and Billecart salmon brut rose, both out of halfs. Both lovely. Got a whole lotta lemon on the Deutz. Pleasant wines to wait out Dorian
E v @ n

William Kelley

#769 Post by William Kelley » September 2nd, 2019, 6:07 pm

Michel Fallon Ozanne dg. May 2014. Vinous, concentrated and very Selosse-like, with a long and sapid finish. Still fresh and lively after five years on cork.
The Wine Advocate

Brad Baker

#770 Post by Brad Baker » September 2nd, 2019, 6:21 pm

I've had really, really good wines from Rodez, some flawed/weird wines from Rodez, and a number of boring bottles too. Overall, I've found that from year to year and cuvee to cuvee, the wines are inconsistent. When you get a good one though, they are really nice stuff.
Brad Baker
The Champagne Warrior

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#771 Post by Frank Murray III » September 3rd, 2019, 5:44 pm

First of two bottles that I bought during the HDH 2018 holiday sale. The Marguet pricing was sharp and so I picked up a mixed case to add to my Marguet inventory. These were $45 each, and it's delicious. I just hope to see them do the sale again in a few months.
  • 2013 Marguet Champagne Grand Cru Shaman 13 Extra Brut Rose - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (9/3/2019)
    Hard to understand why I am the only user in CT with the 2013 Shaman Rose? Huh. There were 2 bottles, now there is one. Opened last night for my wife's birthday dinner. Roughly 70% Chard, 30% PN. Disgorged 01/2017, zero dosage. This exhibits a orange/peach color, cool to look at in the glass. On the aromatic, it has what I often find in Benoit's wines, which is a dried herb note. This showed brisk last night, on the razor's edge of austere. Decided to bring the remnants home from dinner and maintain the bubbles as best as possible. It remains firm and focused tonight, with a brisk core of crisp green apple, along with strawberry and watermelon, finishing with a beam of tingly acidity and mineral. Delicious.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#772 Post by Howard Cooper » September 5th, 2019, 4:19 am

Frank Murray III wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 5:44 pm

Hard to understand why I am the only user in CT with the 2013 Shaman Rose? Huh.
Because I bought some when I saw an offer for 2014 and did not see one (or pay attention to it or whatever for the 13)??? [scratch.gif]
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Scott Watkins
GCC Member
GCC Member

#773 Post by Scott Watkins » September 5th, 2019, 7:32 pm

Michel Arnould & Fils Champagne Grand Cru Extra Brut my brother in law left a bottle at our house the other night. It is a K&L direct import? A little astringent on the pop and pour but after an hour of air this is pretty nice! under 3 grams dosage and BRIGHT acidity.
“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#774 Post by K John Joseph » September 6th, 2019, 8:25 am

2006 Dom Perignon I always forget Dom even made a 2006 (and 2003) given what I consider the nice successes of 2002, 2004, and the great 2009. This, though, is really very good and a classic Dom. Beautiful notes of pear, lemon, white peach, and flowers, with good acidity but that classic creamy Dom mousse. Lovely stuff. 94

NV Paul Bara Rose Grand Cru This has a nice offering of orange peel, nectarine, and strawberry with some spice to it. A richer champagne, but also a bit less suave and rough around the edges than the Dom. It is quite enjoyable, though. 91

NV Ayala Brut Majeur Always glad to see this in the AA Admirals Club, which has set of by the glass options that put to shame most restaurants. I always think of this as very poor man's Dom. Similar pear driven palate, lemon curd, with nice florals. Just a hair sweet (though 7g dosage) and not as complex. Even so, a lovely way to cap off a business trip. 89-90

Couple of side notes: Ayala is on occasion my house champagne. When Wine.com has a "save $100 on $300 purchase" I'll go and by a case or so and the price per bottle gets down to "very good QPR". I'm out at home, but might have to go back to the well.

Rose Champagne: After five years of focused attention on champagne, I am forced to acknowledge that rose champagne is not my preferred style of champagne. It is a rare instance where I think that the rose is superior to the traditional, and I am more than happy NOT to pay the additional tariff for rose champagne. With that said I have not have older rose champagnes, and so will reserve final judgment there. This is not really about the Paul Bara, which was a nice wine, and I have had some excellent rose champagnes over the last few months. I just don't think it's where I will be allocating resources.
J0hn-J-K4ne

EHeffner

#775 Post by EHeffner » September 6th, 2019, 6:23 pm

Laherte Freres BdB brut nature - disgorged 10/18. TN = Tasty AF. Lovely. Would buy again for sub-$50. Bought locally in Fla
E v @ n

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member

#776 Post by AD Northup » September 6th, 2019, 6:51 pm

EHeffner wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 6:23 pm
Laherte Freres BdB brut nature - disgorged 10/18. TN = Tasty AF. Lovely. Would buy again for sub-$50. Bought locally in Fla
Picked up a handful of these for right around $50 in Flemington, NJ. Delicious stuff.
A n d r e w N o r t h u p

WsOTY:
1994 Edmunds St. John Les Côtes Sauvages
2016 P. S. Garcia Grenache Piedra Lisa
2010 Ridge Lytton Springs
2002 Perrier-Jouet Belle Epoque

Subu Ramachandran

#777 Post by Subu Ramachandran » September 13th, 2019, 7:39 pm

Bereche Les Beaux Regards. First time trying this champagne. 100% chardonnay from Ludes. Ripe golden color, yellow fruits on the nose. Harmony, grace, precision and energy. Incredible wine!

ChristopherSK

#778 Post by ChristopherSK » September 14th, 2019, 10:38 am

Bollinger isn't that Special Cuvee. I do think it is something special!

Chri$toph3r S K0y$te

Return to “Wine Talk”