Which Champagne are you drinking?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Which Champagne are you drinking?

#701 Post by Frank Murray III » July 5th, 2019, 6:21 pm

• NV Mouzon-Leroux & Fils Champagne Grand Cru l’Ascendant Extra Brut Réserve - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (7/5/2019)
    First of two. Disgorged May 2017, 50% 2013 base with a solera from 2010-2012 for the other 50%. 60% PN / 40% Chard from Verzy, with 3 g/l dosage. This has a pronounced dried lime note, with a baked apple (the wine is raised in wood, so perhaps this gives the apple pie note), finishing with some honey and raspberry...Retasting from last night's leftovers, a little CO2 has remained but most of it has gone. What's left behind is a gentle effervescence, and the emergence of some citrusy grapefruit. This is a really cool Champagne, one I will look to add reload some more to the cellar.
Posted from CellarTracker
My WOTY candidates for 2019:
2014 Marie Courtin Eloquence Blanc de Blancs Extra Brut
2017 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Occidental Ridge SC PN
2017 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Platt SC PN
2017 Kutch Pinot Noir SC PN
2009 Roederer Cristal Brut

My best wines of 2018:
2017 Kutch Falstaff Sonoma Coast PN
2012 Marguet La Grande Ruelle Ambonnay

Kindness matters.

Brad Baker

#702 Post by Brad Baker » July 5th, 2019, 8:59 pm

Robert M yers wrote:
June 30th, 2019, 9:34 pm
Brad Baker wrote:
April 19th, 2019, 2:57 pm
Robert,

They normally always come wrapped in paper/plastic combo and then are inserted into a straw holder with the booklet in between. All bottles get it whether packed in a six pack (normally wooden) or a single wooden box. Each booklet corresponds to a particular bottle number in that release of the specific 1,911 bottles. If the straw was removed when you received them then the booklet would have also disappeared since nothing was there to hold it with the bottle.
Brad opened the six pack I ordered, but I’m doubtful that it’s the same as the last because they had to go to the distributor to “find” more. They did go out of their way to get me the insert though which I appreciated and here it is. Any insight you can give on this...or how to decode would be appreciated.
Robert,

I will never understand the logic behind the '1911'. It used to be one release of 1,911 bottles per year and then it became a couple, then four, and now it seems like twenty per year. The closest release to yours that I have had is cuvee/release 72 which was disgorged about five weeks before your release 76 (each release is 1,911 bottles). The wine is likely based on 2008 with reserves from a blend containing wines from possible vintages of 2006-2010. I would expect something a bit younger and thinner than past releases; maybe it just needs age, but I found it lacking compared to past releases.
Brad Baker
The Champagne Warrior

michael ottesen

#703 Post by michael ottesen » July 6th, 2019, 8:46 am

Bereche Rive Gauche Meunier.First time i had s 100% Meunier champagne,very nice.

EHeffner

#704 Post by EHeffner » July 7th, 2019, 9:10 am

Over this long weekend, I opened a couple bottles from Laherte Freres: a BnB brut nature and a rose de Meunier. Enjoyed both immensely. So much so that I ran to my shop to grab more of the BnB (the rose was not sourced locally).

I can see why people like this producer. Easily becoming on one of my favorites.
E v a n

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#705 Post by Frank Murray III » July 9th, 2019, 8:07 pm

• NV Moussé Fils Champagne Brut Rose Effusion - France, Champagne (7/9/2019)
    First of two that were backfills for my initial purchase. The disgorge date has changed with my most recent order too, now listed as 10/02/2017 so I presume that is February 2017? Dosage remains 6 g/l, built with 92% PM and 8% PN. This has a ruby color, and it drinks with a brisk core of acidity and spine, mixing crisp raspberry and strawberry nicely together. I paid $36 US for these, and I wish I had bought more as the wine is delicious.
Posted from CellarTracker
My WOTY candidates for 2019:
2014 Marie Courtin Eloquence Blanc de Blancs Extra Brut
2017 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Occidental Ridge SC PN
2017 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Platt SC PN
2017 Kutch Pinot Noir SC PN
2009 Roederer Cristal Brut

My best wines of 2018:
2017 Kutch Falstaff Sonoma Coast PN
2012 Marguet La Grande Ruelle Ambonnay

Kindness matters.

Return to “Wine Talk”