Which Champagne are you drinking?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#51 Post by Blake Brown » April 26th, 2016, 1:10 pm

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:Been drinking up my Champagnes from the 60's lately. Many are starting to get long in the tooth and definitely won't improve with any more bottle age other than the late disgorged versions.

Here's the partial line-up for tonight, Wed and Thurs.
Well done. the 95` CDC is so stellar and one of my favs of all 90s.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

J B a s k a m

#52 Post by J B a s k a m » April 26th, 2016, 1:51 pm

1996 Pol Roger Winston Churchill. - Fully integrated, dominant nose and taste of Apple, some ginger which I liked. One of the group smelled herbs. I did not. Finish added some light pear, it beautifully paired with some great cured meats. Don't see much new development ahead, but not going away soon.
- John

Brad B a l l i n g e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by Brad B a l l i n g e r » April 27th, 2016, 9:35 am

2002 Nicolas Feuillatte Palmes d'Or. Nutty, creamy, balanced. Don't see it developing any further.

NV Bérèche Reflet d'Antan. 2010 base. Disgorged April 2015. Fresh and bright, yet rich and complex. Very fine bead. Seamless. Need to get more.
"We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink." - Cicero

C. Tumey

#54 Post by C. Tumey » April 28th, 2016, 7:06 am

Andrew Christiansen wrote:
C. Tumey wrote:Started my birthday dinner with an '04 Dom P this weekend.

...and it paired well with the drapes. Happy Birthday!

Ha! Thank you.

I wish I could take credit for the window dressings, but they are unfortunately not mine. A friend of mine offered up the use of his camp on the river for my party, so it's the previous owner who should probably get the credit.
Chris

Dave McCloskey

#55 Post by Dave McCloskey » April 28th, 2016, 3:27 pm

Ruinart Blanc de Blancs... superb!

scott c
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by scott c » April 28th, 2016, 4:12 pm

I'm just here to drool over Ray's posts.
c 1 @ f f e e

"By serving the best, never the most, a host compliments both himself and guest, and compensates with additional enjoyment what he wisely limits in number of drinks."
-Julian P. ("Pappy") Van Winkle, Sr.

Jon Lawrence

#57 Post by Jon Lawrence » April 28th, 2016, 5:17 pm

I was traveling on the West Coast this past weekend, so took advantage of some of the local wine shops to pickup some Champers that are not in my cellar. I brought a '06 Comtes to dinner on Friday at Quince in SF. I have gone through a case of this already and have none left in the cellar at the moment, so figured a good choice. I think this is better than '96/'02/'04 and equal to the '95 in my mind (I am not a huge acid fan). Worked great with the white courses, especially the caviar course. I also picked up a '90 Pichon Baron for the same dinner that was also great - but could have benefited from more decanting. I highly recommend Quince and they have a $50 corkage policy.

We had dinner at Morimoto on Saturday so drank sake and beer. Food was just ok, nothing special. Wanted to go to Hog Island, but they were closed by the time we were ready for dinner.

Had a picnic lunch on Sunday with friends of ours who have started another Napa winery, this time on Mr. Veeder. I locally sourced a bottle of '96 DP (with an Acker auction label) and a '95 Comtes. We had the '96 DP with the winery tour and the '95 Comtes with cheese and both were outstanding, ready to drink and not showing any sign of declining.

I also bought an early disgorgement of '95 Heidsieck BdM that we never had a chance to drink. Brought it back home with us and will probably open tomorrow. This wine has been a real crowd pleaser for a mature Champagne, but will be interesting to see if this early disgorgement is still drinking or over the hill.

SheilaAdams

#58 Post by SheilaAdams » April 29th, 2016, 10:14 am

An always amazing bottle of Marie Noelle Ledru's Extra Brut. Stunning as always

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#59 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » April 29th, 2016, 11:39 am

Had bottles of '64 Dom Perignon and '88 Krug at Cagen last night.

At first I was thinking I would need to open up my back-up bottle of '64 DP since the cork can out rather easily and without any noticeable pressure.
However, once poured I was much more hopeful since the color was good and there was a bit of effervescence. Once I smelled it I knew it was good and on the palate it was even better. Fully mature with caramel and coffee flavors, but still a bit of structure and acidity on the finish. Chef usually doesn't drink while he's working, but since it was also his birth year, he had a glass as well. Starting to get low on '64 DP, but I don't plan on back filling even once my remaining bottles are consumed.

The '88 Krug, as expected, was quite a contrast to the '64 DP. Big and robust, with tons of fruit and bracing acidity, this is still an adolescent at nearly 30 years of age. Hopefully i will get to drink this in 20+ years so I can sample a mature version of this Champagne.

Not to beat a dead horse, but Cagen was absolutely fantastic once again.
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

Dale Bowers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#60 Post by Dale Bowers » April 29th, 2016, 3:48 pm

Lately, been digging Jerome Prevost. Just wish they had a wider distribution in the US.
Cheers!

scott c
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by scott c » April 30th, 2016, 8:46 am

Dale Bowers wrote:Lately, been digging Jerome Prevost. Just wish they had a wider distribution in the US.
Don't we all.
c 1 @ f f e e

"By serving the best, never the most, a host compliments both himself and guest, and compensates with additional enjoyment what he wisely limits in number of drinks."
-Julian P. ("Pappy") Van Winkle, Sr.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by alan weinberg » April 30th, 2016, 9:14 am

for me, 88 Krug and 96 Salon are "best
ever," though I don't have Ray's breadth or depth of experience.

Steve Nordhoff
GCC Member
GCC Member

#63 Post by Steve Nordhoff » April 30th, 2016, 9:36 am

Vilmart 2009 Cuvée Rubis - medium salmon color, beautiful bouquet of strawberries and some minerality. Very balanced and long. Should last another decade or more, but drinks very well now. One of my favorite rose Champers.
ITB -Riverain Vineyards

Jeannean/Ryman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#64 Post by Jeannean/Ryman » April 30th, 2016, 10:46 am

Nothing vintage lately for me, but have recently had Bollinger Brut Special Cuvee, Billecart-Salmon Brut, Laurent-Perrier Brut, Henriot Brut Souverain, Roederer Brut Premier, Taittinger Brut La Francaise, and opened a bottle yesterday of Gardet Champagne Brut Premier Cru to see if I wanted to order more during the Last Bottle marathon sale. (I did; it's a good QPR and I drink a lot of bubbles during the warmer months.) I have a Pierre Peters Blanc de Blancs Brut Cuvée de Réserve in the fridge for tonight. I like this thread for ideas, as I'm always wanting to try different bubbles.
champagne.gif

Jon Lawrence

#65 Post by Jon Lawrence » April 30th, 2016, 11:25 am

Ray - It is a good night when your backup to a '64 DP is a "64 DP and you don't have to open your backup!

We had the white label '95 Heidsieck BdM last night and it does drink a tad older than the newer disgorgement etched bottles, but it is still in its drinking window for my palate. I highly recommend this wine to anyone who is a fan of the '95 vintage.

Anyone know if Heidsieck has any plans for a future vintage of this Champagne? I believe Brad had mentioned that they made a lot of the '95, but I have never seen a more recent vintage.

Brad Baker

#66 Post by Brad Baker » April 30th, 2016, 6:05 pm

Jon,

When I last talked to Cyril Brun (winemaker at Charles Heidsieck) there wasn't any talk of the next vintage. They did make a 96, but most of it was sold off to ANA to serve in first class. There is still a good deal in the cellar, but no clue if it will ever be truly released. They weren't happy with it as they said it was a bit too acidic and the fruit matured and lost strength earlier than expected. They didn't make any vintage wines from the 2001-2004 vintages so it could be a wait for the next BdB. I'll have to ask more specifically next visit.
Brad Baker
The Champagne Warrior

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#67 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » April 30th, 2016, 6:15 pm

NV Laurent Thibault Selection Cigue du Cardinal out of magnum. Has had six or seven years of bottle age post-disgorgement. Still fresh but most likely at its apogee. Pinot is in the forefront.
A solid performer at its price point.

Steve Nordhoff
GCC Member
GCC Member

#68 Post by Steve Nordhoff » May 1st, 2016, 8:17 am

2010 Hebrart Special Club - several bottles from this producer at all levels have been very good lately, with the 08 SC at the peak. Yellow fruit and brioche, the acidity is there at the front, but the back rounds out nicely and shows the fruit. Really nice and a solid qpr.
ITB -Riverain Vineyards

Sarah Kirschbaum

#69 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » May 1st, 2016, 8:45 am

Had both the '95 and '96 Henriot Cuvée des Enchanteleurs this weekend. Both showing expected maturity levels, though there was a moment of concern just upon opening for both, when we thought we detected a note of apple cider spelling oxidation. Happily, that lasted only a couple of minutes. The '96 was firmer and more taught of structure. Both were elegant and lively, with a nice mix of citrus and pastry straight from the oven. We've had some issues with the '96 from 750 in the past, but this one was lovely.

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#70 Post by Brian Tuite » May 1st, 2016, 9:27 am

Wg had a s-load last night. These were just a few.

Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

CoryT.

#71 Post by CoryT. » May 1st, 2016, 10:08 am

Not champagne but my bride and I have been working through a bit of iron horse this last year. I really love their Russian cuvee.

In the last year I've enjoyed all these.

Vintage brut
Brut x
Winter cuvee
Russian cuvee
Brut rose
Ocean reserve

All have been excellent.
CoryN T o t t e n

Jeannean/Ryman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#72 Post by Jeannean/Ryman » May 1st, 2016, 10:14 am

Brian Tuite wrote:Wg had a s-load last night. These were just a few.
Just a FEW?!
champagne.gif

How was the 2002 Pommery Louise? (just ordered a bottle)

Jon Lawrence

#73 Post by Jon Lawrence » May 4th, 2016, 10:03 am

Brad,

Thanks for the info. I guess I will have to stop hoping for a future release of the BdM and just keep enjoying the '95. Maybe this explains why I have had some very good bottles of their NV recently.

The weekend included an '02 Piper Cuvee Rare which had nice acidity, brioche and red apple, not the bruised kind like some other '02's. This has been a sleeper wine in my mind and maybe I should not be surprised as '79 Cuvee Rare is some of the best Champers I have tasted. We also had a mag of '02 Pol Roger Brut Reserve. Others liked this more than I as I felt it was bit too oxidized. My last bottle of '02 PRWC was less than stellar too. Not sure what is going on with that house.

Brad Baker

#74 Post by Brad Baker » May 4th, 2016, 11:43 am

02 Piper Rare has developed very nicely and has come along better than I expected. There have been multiple releases of this wine as with the 95 BdM and the later releases seem to be better than the initial ones. When young, I thought the wine was good, but a little heavy; it has leaned out nicely and developed quite a bit of smoothness, yet with more structure too. I definitely agree with you that it is a bit of a sleeper; its high Pinot Noir content did well with this vintage.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the Rare as there has been talk of breaking it off from Piper and turning it into it own line similar to what Moet did with DP.

As for Pol Roger's SWC, the wine is normally solid each vintage, but I haven't had it worth the price or in the top ranks since the 1995. I actually prefer Pol Roger more at the low end than the high. The NV is killer for the price.
Brad Baker
The Champagne Warrior

Jon Lawrence

#75 Post by Jon Lawrence » May 4th, 2016, 12:15 pm

Thanks Brad. Great to hear PR NV is drinking well. My wallet thanks you.

Er€z _ L.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#76 Post by Er€z _ L. » May 4th, 2016, 12:23 pm

The 12 we opened on Saturday were very good (especially second flight forward), but now it's time to figure out the next set of champagnes we wish to examine
£ € n c n @ r

David Gerstenfeld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#77 Post by David Gerstenfeld » May 4th, 2016, 3:09 pm

Last night I had the '96 Paillard blanc de blanc. It was served blind and I thought it was Taitt CdC from a much younger vintage. First time ever with this and wow it was delish! Really showed the '96 acid but beautifully balanced with a lip smacking lemony finish.

Jon Lawrence

#78 Post by Jon Lawrence » May 4th, 2016, 4:15 pm

I will bring a bottle of this to our next dinner. I have not had it in a few years.

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#79 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » May 4th, 2016, 5:14 pm

David Gerstenfeld wrote:Last night I had the '96 Paillard blanc de blanc. It was served blind and I thought it was Taitt CdC from a much younger vintage. First time ever with this and wow it was delish! Really showed the '96 acid but beautifully balanced with a lip smacking lemony finish.
The '95 is even better imo.

m. ristev

#80 Post by m. ristev » May 7th, 2016, 6:13 am

love me some v.o.
oddly while this is the most recent disgorgement i have tasted, it is surpringly more oxidative than older bottles. but not in a bad way...
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (31.21 KiB) Viewed 3110 times
mајкл

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#81 Post by Mark Golodetz » May 7th, 2016, 6:19 am

A ten year old bottle of Mumm's Cramant was a delight; very young, but incredibly complex.
ITB
I could agree with you, but then we both would be wrong.

Jerry Hey

#82 Post by Jerry Hey » May 7th, 2016, 7:41 am

05 vs 06 Comtes - 05 for current drinking; 06 for later
05 Comtes vs 05 Dom - Dom was preferred by all ten
05 Vilmart Coeur de Cuvee - Chevalier with bubbles
Legras NV - my go to house Champagne; excellent QPR

Steve Nordhoff
GCC Member
GCC Member

#83 Post by Steve Nordhoff » May 7th, 2016, 8:04 am

2008 Gimmonet Special Club - Super young classic BdB. Got better over 2 hours and was perfect with oysters. Really excellent, but wait.
ITB -Riverain Vineyards

Russ Williams
GCC Member
GCC Member

#84 Post by Russ Williams » May 7th, 2016, 8:27 am

Steve Nordhoff wrote:2008 Gimmonet Special Club - Super young classic BdB. Got better over 2 hours and was perfect with oysters. Really excellent, but wait.
Thanks for the early look. I'll definitely leave mine alone for another 3-4 years.
Listen to more Jerry, it will heal your soul.
9/1/74 - Keystone Berkeley

Joe Davis

#85 Post by Joe Davis » May 7th, 2016, 10:19 am

Had the Freddy Savart and that may be the next mind blowing producer. Bulles rose

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#86 Post by brigcampbell » May 8th, 2016, 10:45 am

Last edited by brigcampbell on May 8th, 2016, 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

IlkkaL

#87 Post by IlkkaL » May 8th, 2016, 11:18 am

brigcampbell wrote:BUBBLEFEST - TAITTINGER HORIZONTAL - (5/8/2016)

[*]NV Taittinger Prelude - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru
SEC bubbly? Yeah, I'm probably not going to like it. Yikes, 17.5 g/l dosage on the back label, I know I'm going hate it. Wrong wrong wrong. Really very nice. Sure there's a "sweet fruit" component but the wine doesn't taste sweet. Full, rounded out mouthfeel with acid balance. Everyone enjoyed this one.
Prelude is a Brut actually and Nocturne a Sec.
Last name = L u !V! !V! e

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#88 Post by brigcampbell » May 8th, 2016, 11:51 am

Yikes! mixed up the note and wine in CT. I'll fix it.

BUBBLEFEST - TAITTINGER HORIZONTAL - (5/8/2016)

What a great idea, source all the Taittinger you can get your hands on and line them up. We were missing the Comtes Rosé but nobody cared. Full disclosure: As a casual champagne drinker I had no idea Taittinger had such a broad line up. Heck, I just knew about the few you'd see in the grocery store and the Comtes, of course. I really enjoyed myself and I tied in the cork launching contest by sending one over the backyard fence from the porch. Touch all the bases!

Note: two bottles were corked. One mildly and the other fried.

• NV Domaine Carneros Brut Rosé - USA, California, Napa / Sonoma, Carneros
    Light pale salmon color, actually very light. The fruit flavor, peach and berry,maws quite subtle. Medium acid. Fairly pedestrian rosé, not much to excite me.
  • 2011 Domaine Carneros Brut - USA, California, Napa / Sonoma, Carneros
    Faint yellow hue. Nose is yellow apple and a bit of treetop apple juice sweetness. Hey, this is nice. Caressing mouthfeel composed of fine bubbles. Not sweet juice flavor, this is Granny Smith Apple and bright medium plus acid. Good stuff and nice QPR.
  • 2005 Taittinger Champagne Brut Blanc de Blancs Comtes de Champagne - France, Champagne
    Another strong showing of the '05 and I'm excited to compare this with the '06 vintage. This bubbly always show multiple facets of traditional champagne like acid, bread, mineral, and fruit in idea proportions.

As for the '06? TCA...
  • 2006 Taittinger Champagne Brut Blanc de Blancs Comtes de Champagne - France, Champagne
    Flawed, not marked as such since previously noted by the other taster. TCA infested causing strong wet newspaper aromas. Prayers that the palate wasn't affected we unanswered. The fruit was stripped and TCA ran wild. Had to rinse the glass.
  • 2008 Taittinger Champagne Brut Millésimé - France, Champagne
    Quite nice one here. Light yellow and super fine effervescence. Lean yellow and green apple. Solid acid backbone provides a clean feel and adds tartness. Light bread note. Good stuff, top 3 of the tasting.
  • NV Taittinger Champagne Les Folies de la Marquetterie - France, Champagne
    Hum...based on this tasting a very poor QPR. Just simple, lacking any complexity or intrigue. Preferred the '11 Domain Carmaros at 1/2 the price.
  • NV Taittinger Prelude - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru
    Light gold colored. Great balance of acid and topical fruit, citrus with red apples. Light dough. Good all around champer.
  • NV Taittinger Champagne Brut Prestige Rosé - France, Champagne
    Top three for me. Burnt orange color. Tangerine, lemon, lime peel. Tart and slightly dry. Lean and fresh. Very nice.
  • NV Taittinger Champagne Nocturne Rosé Sec - France, Champagne
    Can't judge a book by the cover and at 17.5g/l who knew? Good stuff. The red fruit shows in this rosé, ripe strawberry and creamy mouthfeel. The bubbles are almost nonexistent, odd. I enjoyed this wine but it's at the edge of ripe scale for bubbles in my world. Another big crowd pleaser, I'd have no problem serving this on a hot day with a big chill.
  • NV Taittinger Champagne Nocturne Sec - France, Champagne
    SEC bubbly? Yeah, I'm probably not going to like it. Yikes, 17.5 g/l dosage on the back label, I know I'm going hate it. Wrong wrong wrong. Really very nice. Sure there's a "sweet fruit" component but the wine doesn't taste sweet. Full, rounded out mouthfeel with acid balance. Everyone enjoyed this one.
Posted from CellarTracker

Robert B.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#89 Post by Robert B. » May 8th, 2016, 2:31 pm

I enjoyed a Piper Heidsieck at a Mother's Day lunch with my wife. I had the salmon and my wife had the scallops. It went very well with both. It really cut through the the richness of both. Nice acid and fruit. It had a nice tart apple nuance to it. Long aftertaste. A fun champagne.
B. = Bedwell
CT: RobertB321
Vivino: Robert B
Avatar is me in Oxford England fall of 2014

Jeannean/Ryman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#90 Post by Jeannean/Ryman » May 9th, 2016, 4:50 am

Janisson & Fils Tradition, NV yesterday with lobster mac n cheese. Nice toasty/nutty nose with good bubbles and acid/fruit ratio.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#91 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » May 14th, 2016, 5:35 pm

Tonight, my husband didn't feel like champagne, but I did. So I opened yet another lovely bottle of our house NV Blanc de Blanc - Diebolt-Vallois Cuvee Presitige. Never disappoints. We've been buying it for years, so the current bottles have been sitting for a while. So worth the money! And even better in magnum.

rick m

#92 Post by rick m » May 14th, 2016, 6:03 pm

last night had two really nice champagne....

2004 dom perignon rose
2006 Louis Roederer Cristal Brut

both very young yet so good!
ITB
rick matsui

Brad B a l l i n g e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#93 Post by Brad B a l l i n g e r » May 20th, 2016, 10:18 am

Opened a Delamotte NV to serve as purely an aperitif to guest before we left for a restaurant (three block walk away). Truly enjoyed the wine. Lot's of chalk and citrus. Next time, however, I will not serve this purely as an aperitif. It would be a much better food wine.
"We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink." - Cicero

Scott Butler

#94 Post by Scott Butler » May 20th, 2016, 10:30 am

Had a couple last weekend. The Couche was nice though young and a bit tart. The Lamiable was sensational, too bad there were 6 of us drinking it, I would have liked more.
Champ.jpg
Champ.jpg (29.48 KiB) Viewed 2573 times
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan
ITB

todd waldmann

#95 Post by todd waldmann » May 20th, 2016, 7:32 pm

NV Aubry is our current house Champagne. I can't get enough.

On a recent trip to Vietnam I drank as much NV Krug as I could stand on the Cathay Pacific First Class flight over and as much NV Krug and '06 Dom on the way back, courtesy of Singapore First Class. '06 Dom is young, but fantastic.

Ok Ray, who brings a BACK UP bottle of '64 Dom? [worship.gif]
“Burgundy is, well, Burgundy. A minefield of potential disappointments beloved by elitists and pseudo-intellectuals who like to discuss ad nauseam growers and terroirs—not quality.” RMP

jbray23

#96 Post by jbray23 » May 20th, 2016, 10:26 pm

Co hosted a Champagne dinner last night..

NV Vessel Brut Reserve Mag- Bright and delicious, a little forward but a fun opener with plump berry, touch hay, bright and fluffy that begs to drink more.

NV Demarne Frison Houston 'Mag'- Read the base a ton of times but never remember 08'? Delicious if not showing a bit of oak. Crisp fruit, good weight and great acid, this was a little disjointed and needing of a year or so more.

NV Egly Ouriet 'Vignes de Vigny' (08' base)- People found this 'polarizing', I found it delicious, more red fruit than crisp white fruit, a little straight forward at this point but great stuffing and acid for a long life ahead.

06' Lassaigne 'Millisime' To me this vintage for Lassaigne is the best wine that the house has produced, it is complex, taught, mineral driven with verve but spreads across the palate like good Chardonnay should. Delicious and underrated.

NV Suenen Brut Rose- Nice raspberry, strawberry with great weight and precision it went perfectly with the strawberry tart which lifted the acid in the wine that made a great pairing.
Last edited by jbray23 on May 20th, 2016, 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason, back itb

ERPark

#97 Post by ERPark » May 20th, 2016, 10:26 pm

Celebrated my wife's bday yesterday. Lunch was sushi and a bottle of '97 Salon. Not as stellar as the '96 obviously, but still drinking like what you'd expect from a tete de cuveé.
GEN3

J B a s k a m

#98 Post by J B a s k a m » May 21st, 2016, 4:15 am

1996 Pol Roger Rose - Gorgeous wine with brightness, balance, integrated fruit and a lingering finish. Still would have had some great years to go. Have enjoyed six in the last five years, all excellent. Unfortunately my last one.
- John

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#99 Post by Jay $$ Winton » May 21st, 2016, 7:09 am

2006 Henriot was in a good place recently but still on the upswing. The 2004 Bollinger GA needs a decade to be at maturity, great promise based on two bottles.
Immaturity-my life, not my wine.

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#100 Post by brigcampbell » May 22nd, 2016, 9:50 am

A couple of bubblers that won't make any ones QPR list.
  • NV Agrapart & Fils Champagne Grand Cru Terroirs - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (5/22/2016)
    I'd call this a "tweener" as it has a little of everything but not enough of anything to stake a claim. Very light colored and done bubbles. Nose shows mineral and citrus. Light ripe lemon and some salinity. But lacking any depth or body to make exciting. Medium acid and decent pairing with the plethora of seafood. Not a good QPR.
Posted from CellarTracker

• NV Beau Joie Champagne Special Cuvée Brut - France, Champagne (5/22/2016)\
    What the heck is that? A copper cage? Looks like the gate to a dungeon. This was OK, I liked it slightly better than the Agrapart champagne as it supported a fuller body. But again, a basic champagne and enjoyable. A really poor QPR here.
Posted from CellarTracker}

Return to “Wine Talk”