Which Champagne are you drinking?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
C Chen

Re: Which Champagne are you drinking?

#351 Post by C Chen » October 31st, 2018, 6:01 pm

Steven Orloff wrote:
October 29th, 2018, 1:13 pm
The two best that I have had in the last year were the 1990 Dom and the 1999 Cristal. The one I have enjoyed lately as more of an every day wine has been the NV Charles Heidsieck Brut Rose Reserve. Everyone that has tried it so far has fallen in love.
Totally difference experience. I've had two tired '90 Doms and my NV Heidsieck Rose Reserve (2012 base) was probably the most poorly received Champagne (by myself and peers) of the year.
curt1S ch3N

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#352 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » October 31st, 2018, 7:54 pm

Huge variation with '90 DP. One of the few vintages with that problem. Most likely a US distribution issue.
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#353 Post by Frank Murray III » October 31st, 2018, 9:00 pm

Tasting blind dismisses the bias that comes with 'I should or know I will like this', exposing what is really in the glass to the senses. A few from this week below.
  • 2008 Marie Courtin Champagne Efflorescence Extra Brut - France, Champagne (10/31/2018)
    Tasted blind. No bottle data noted on the back label. Floral, with jasmine and citrus blossom aromas, along with lime forming the aromatics. The core of this wine showed rich, honeyed with good density. Apple, honey and a long flinty finish. This came across as zesty and young, I guessed Chardonnay, which is wrong as I know this wine is 100% Pinot Noir. Blind tasting is both revealing and also restores one's humility, too! I enjoyed this wine, although I do think the more recent vintages are more to my liking.
  • 2008 Minière F & R Champagne Absolu Blanc De Blancs Brut - France, Champagne (10/31/2018)
    Tasted blind. Disgorged 06/2015. Coincidentally, I was looking to source some of this wine, based on the level of quality and pleasure I tasted in the 2009 base, which I had about a year ago. I had thought to the 2008's vintage would create a wine that was perhaps even better than the 2009 but candidly, I thought this 2008 was obscured by too much wood tones. The aromatics are toasty, smoky and leesy. The fruit seemed intense and tart, and I read this wine more like Pinot Niuir, not Chardonnay, from which it is made. Citrus, lime skin, young and built well but the wood tones are intrusive for me. Not sure where this will head, whether that smoky aromatic will go away.
  • 2008 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Blancs La Haute-Lemblé - France, Champagne (10/31/2018)
    Tasted blind. Disgorged 04/2012, zero dosage. Lemon oil and the aroma of what reminded me of wet cement. I really dug the palate presence and the length of this wine. Interestingly, my notes question whether there is dosage here. The wine shows a citrusy, lemon-lime quality and the finish seems out of balance, however. Fascinating wine that at one point seems satisfying then seems a bit sweet at the same time. I am puzzled here.
  • 2008 Varnier-Fanniere Champagne Grand Cru Brut Grand Vintage - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (10/31/2018)
    Tasted blind. This is the best bottle I have had in the past few years of this wine. Coincidentally, I did not think too much of the bottle I had in 2015, as it had a lacquer quality. However, the bottle last night was excellent. Brioche, leesy nose with a citrusy, flinty, lemony core that shows some honey that mixes with golden apple. I guessed Chardonnay so was accurate on at least this guess. This is showing very nice at this stage.
Posted from CellarTracker
My WOTY candidates for 2019:
2014 Marie Courtin Champagne Eloquence Blanc de Blancs Extra Brut

My best wines of 2018:
2017 Kutch Falstaff Sonoma Coast PN
2012 Marguet Père et Fils Champagne La Grande Ruelle Ambonnay

Kindness matters.

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#354 Post by Blake Brown » November 1st, 2018, 1:57 am

Steven Orloff wrote:
The one I have enjoyed lately as more of an every day wine has been the NV Charles Heidsieck Brut Rose Reserve. Everyone that has tried it so far has fallen in love.
Totally agree. I've had at least 7 bottles and all were in a consistently fine place with nice balance and nice spicy red fruit albeit with some just noticeable sweetness.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#355 Post by Blake Brown » November 1st, 2018, 2:04 am

Frank Murray III wrote:
October 31st, 2018, 9:00 pm
Tasting blind dismisses the bias that comes with 'I should or know I will like this', exposing what is really in the glass to the senses. A few from this week below.
How did you set it up to be blind Frank?

Love the blind format for the heightened learning curve as well as discovering the preferred style and taste profile. Its great to do it routinely.
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Steven Orloff

#356 Post by Steven Orloff » November 1st, 2018, 8:39 am

C Chen wrote:
October 31st, 2018, 6:01 pm
Steven Orloff wrote:
The two best that I have had in the last year were the 1990 Dom and the 1999 Cristal. The one I have enjoyed lately as more of an every day wine has been the NV Charles Heidsieck Brut Rose Reserve. Everyone that has tried it so far has fallen in love.
Totally difference experience. I've had two tired '90 Doms and my NV Heidsieck Rose Reserve (2012 base) was probably the most poorly received Champagne (by myself and peers) of the year.
Interesting. My 1990 Dom was purchased on release and stored at 55 degrees. It aged beautifully. That said, it is a very sensitive wine. Proper storage is key. I have had some I kept at room temp for a few years that were not so fresh. My NV Heidsieck Rose Reserve was based on 2008. It has received very good reviews across the board as well. May be a different wine.

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#357 Post by Blake Brown » November 1st, 2018, 9:29 am

Found one of a few notes I made re the NV Charles Heidsieck Rose just to refresh my memory:

NV CHARLES HEIDSIECK BRUT ROSE- this was the perfect beginning to dinner with this delicious bubbly; the base wine was from the fine 2008 vintage with 20% reserve wines blended in to the composition of 33 1/3 Pinot Noir, Pinot Meunier and Chardonnay; it was topped off with still Pinot Noir which contributed to its bright, rich red color; the nose consisted of toasty brioche almost with a burnt character and the fruit profile was of red cherry/ berry and a touch of red raspberry; the soft mousse provided excellent mouthfeel to support the so pleasing taste; it was properly served with a good chill which was very refreshing.
Napolean Bonaparte

Er€z _ L.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#358 Post by Er€z _ L. » November 1st, 2018, 1:41 pm

2006 Deutz Cuvée William Deutz

Finally got to open one as a stand alone... the neighbors were also happy. While young, it is evolving well and about 90 minutes decanting does wonders.
£ € n c n @ r

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#359 Post by Frank Murray III » November 1st, 2018, 3:36 pm

Blake Brown wrote:
November 1st, 2018, 2:04 am
Frank Murray III wrote:
How did you set it up to be blind Frank?

Love the blind format for the heightened learning curve as well as discovering the preferred style and taste profile. Its great to do it routinely.
Bags with #s, and generally a theme, which in this instance was 2008. The theme is not shared until the bags start coming off, which keep the exercise as unbiased as we can make it.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Steve Nordhoff
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#360 Post by Steve Nordhoff » November 1st, 2018, 5:33 pm

Frank Murray III wrote:
  • 2008 Marie Courtin Champagne Efflorescence Extra Brut - France, Champagne (10/31/2018)
    Tasted blind. No bottle data noted on the back label. Floral, with jasmine and citrus blossom aromas, along with lime forming the aromatics. The core of this wine showed rich, honeyed with good density. Apple, honey and a long flinty finish. This came across as zesty and young, I guessed Chardonnay, which is wrong as I know this wine is 100% Pinot Noir. Blind tasting is both revealing and also restores one's humility, too! I enjoyed this wine, although I do think the more recent vintages are more to my liking.
  • 2008 Minière F & R Champagne Absolu Blanc De Blancs Brut - France, Champagne (10/31/2018)
    Tasted blind. Disgorged 06/2015. Coincidentally, I was looking to source some of this wine, based on the level of quality and pleasure I tasted in the 2009 base, which I had about a year ago. I had thought to the 2008's vintage would create a wine that was perhaps even better than the 2009 but candidly, I thought this 2008 was obscured by too much wood tones. The aromatics are toasty, smoky and leesy. The fruit seemed intense and tart, and I read this wine more like Pinot Niuir, not Chardonnay, from which it is made. Citrus, lime skin, young and built well but the wood tones are intrusive for me. Not sure where this will head, whether that smoky aromatic will go away.
  • 2008 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Blancs La Haute-Lemblé - France, Champagne (10/31/2018)
    Tasted blind. Disgorged 04/2012, zero dosage. Lemon oil and the aroma of what reminded me of wet cement. I really dug the palate presence and the length of this wine. Interestingly, my notes question whether there is dosage here. The wine shows a citrusy, lemon-lime quality and the finish seems out of balance, however. Fascinating wine that at one point seems satisfying then seems a bit sweet at the same time. I am puzzled here.
  • 2008 Varnier-Fanniere Champagne Grand Cru Brut Grand Vintage - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (10/31/2018)
    Tasted blind. This is the best bottle I have had in the past few years of this wine. Coincidentally, I did not think too much of the bottle I had in 2015, as it had a lacquer quality. However, the bottle last night was excellent. Brioche, leesy nose with a citrusy, flinty, lemony core that shows some honey that mixes with golden apple. I guessed Chardonnay so was accurate on at least this guess. This is showing very nice at this stage.

Nice notes Frankie, I think you liked these more than I did. VF was really good with upside potential. The Miniere was my second bottle and I am not sure if the oak will integrate. I thought the Courtin was a bit oxidized. I really like Cedric Bouchard, but thought this bottle was merely good (very ripe considering no dosage). OTOH those Giacosas were killer, but that is another thread.
ITB -Riverain Vineyards

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#361 Post by Frank Murray III » November 1st, 2018, 6:13 pm

I’ll put that Giacosa up tomorrow. I know a few dorks round here follow those wines.

As for tonight, the champagne march pushes us on.
  • NV Rémi Leroy Champagne Brut Nature - France, Champagne (11/1/2018)
    Opened tonight to have with dinner. Pretty frothy and aggressive with CO2 that eases with some air but beware. Disgorged 2017 with a base of 2014, about 50/50 PN and Chard, with 20% reserve wine. Zero dosage. Good core of yellow apple, pear, some raspberry and light chalk. For $35, this suits me just fine.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Jayson Cohen

#362 Post by Jayson Cohen » November 1st, 2018, 8:11 pm

Steven Orloff wrote:
The one I have enjoyed lately as more of an every day wine has been the NV Charles Heidsieck Brut Rose Reserve. Everyone that has tried it so far has fallen in love.
Agree. Both the Brut and Brut Rose are consistently fantastic NV Champagnes.

Jayson Cohen

#363 Post by Jayson Cohen » November 1st, 2018, 8:15 pm

There was a decent amount of cooked 1990 Dom at retail on initial release.

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#364 Post by Blake Brown » November 2nd, 2018, 12:22 am

Frank Murray III wrote:
November 1st, 2018, 6:13 pm
I’ll put that Giacosa up tomorrow. I know a few dorks round here follow those wines.
Consider me to be one of the dorks. Looking forward to your notes.
Napolean Bonaparte

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#365 Post by Warren Taranow » November 4th, 2018, 10:08 am

It's been a nice week for Champagne.

2008 Guy Charlemagne Champagne Grand Cru Mesnillésime Vieilles Vignes Blanc de Blancs; old vine Mesnil, 4gm dosage. Good now but will be great with some bottle age. This is a wine to buy, drink one now, lay some down for five years, and buy again (and again).

2006 Taittinger Champagne Brut Blanc de Blancs Comtes de Champagne; Vivacious and viscous lemon and orange, brioche and cream, but it's the texture, minerals and balance that keep me coming back to this one. I love this wine, and other than one bottle that seemed shut down, I haven't experienced significant bottle variation that others have described. Better with time, but a precocious and fun wine since release.

NV Billecart-Salmon Champagne Brut Rosé; This is the "Old Faithful" of Grandes Marques Rosé. A nice fine bead, strawberry and tart orange flavor; a distinguished wine, always welcome at the table.

Cheers,
Warren
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#366 Post by Blake Brown » November 4th, 2018, 10:58 am

2 favs Warren. Good work.
Napolean Bonaparte

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#367 Post by John Glas » November 4th, 2018, 1:37 pm

NV Piper-Heidsieck Champagne Brut - France, Champagne (11/3/2018)
Day 1: Gorgeous NV. Creamy mouthfeel with citrus, spice, dough and charred pie crust. A vibrant wine with sharp acidity. Medium plus finish and at the amazing low price of only $33. 92 points
Day 2: Very similar character from day 1 but picks up some nice perfume notes and dried apricots. Very good acidity on this wine. Not as good as day 1 but solid. 90 points
Recommendation: Dink on day 1 and buy from a shop that moves through NV Champagne. This current NV selections is outstanding as some of the previous ones were sub 90 points. (92 points)

David Cooper

#368 Post by David Cooper » November 4th, 2018, 2:33 pm

Posted twice see below.
Last edited by David Cooper on November 4th, 2018, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Cooper

#369 Post by David Cooper » November 4th, 2018, 2:33 pm

3 which comply, one that doesn't:

NV Jacquesson & Fils Champagne Cuvée No. 736 - France, Champagne (11/3/2018)
Clear light yellow. Intense nose, lemon, pear, bread dough and spice oak. Very textured dry citrus and pear flavours and a very dry finish. (93 pts.)

2013 Ultramarine Blanc de Noirs Heintz Vineyard Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (11/3/2018)
Clear light red. Fresh floral nose, spice, yeast,cinnamon, and vanilla. Very nice yeast apple skin flavours. Seems quite dry but in reality it is a bit richer then Champagne (92 pts.)

2004 Gaston Chiquet Champagne Special Club Brut - France, Champagne (11/2/2018)
Clear light yellow, very strong g mousse. Great lemon, almond and white flower nose. Very dry rich lemon cream flavours and long dry finish. (92 pts.)

2012 Salmon Champagne Rosé de Saignée Extra Brut - France, Champagne (11/2/2018)
Clear medium pink. Great spicy nose, cinnamon, nutmeg cherry and cranberry nose. Dry spicey cherry flavours and a rich dry finish. (92 pts.)

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#370 Post by Charlie Carnes » November 8th, 2018, 2:57 pm

Just drank gougeous Suenen BdB base year 2014. Followed by an even better Marguet Shaman, one of the richest most tasty 0 dosage rosés I have ever drunk.
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

Andrew A r n t f i e l d

#371 Post by Andrew A r n t f i e l d » November 8th, 2018, 4:19 pm

Currently enjoying a Vilmart & Cie Grand Cellier- Jan 2017 disgorgement. Good but painfully young. Going to bury my other bottles for at least a year or two.

Steve Nordhoff
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#372 Post by Steve Nordhoff » November 10th, 2018, 8:05 am

Two bottles of 09 Vilmart CdC yesterday. Fantastic, young, stacked, bright yellow fruit, big acid and long finish. Glad I have a stash.
ITB -Riverain Vineyards

YLee

#373 Post by YLee » November 10th, 2018, 3:05 pm

Had Roederer estate brut nv. Thought it was pretty good for a NV.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#374 Post by Frank Murray III » November 10th, 2018, 6:33 pm

This is why I drink Champagne. What a lovely bottle.
  • 2008 Chartogne-Taillet Champagne Brut Millésimé - France, Champagne (11/10/2018)
    Disgrg'd June 2015, dosage 4.5 g/l. 60 PN/40 Chard. This is the final bottle from the batch I bought last year. Looking at my TN from 2017, this bottle is pretty much the same, which for me shows the wine is aging nicely. As I taste this wine, it's just a delicious champagne. Beautiful acid cuts right through the wine, supporting apple, some creamy berry, biscuit and mineral. As I think back when I reloaded these, I should have done more of them. Showing excellent, everything I look for in champagne with the acidity, balance, reasoned dosage. Super.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#375 Post by Merrill Lindquist » November 10th, 2018, 6:38 pm

Taittinger Prelude. It fits somewhere in between their very good base offering of La Francaise and the lovely Comtes. Champagne is my daily drinker when I am not consuming Cabernet.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Andrew Christiansen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#376 Post by Andrew Christiansen » November 11th, 2018, 11:18 pm

Frank Murray III wrote:
November 10th, 2018, 6:33 pm
  • 2008 Chartogne-Taillet Champagne Brut Millésimé - France, Champagne (11/10/2018)
    Disgrg'd June 2015, dosage 4.5 g/l. 60 PN/40 Chard. This is the final bottle from the batch I bought last year. Looking at my TN from 2017, this bottle is pretty much the same, which for me shows the wine is aging nicely. As I taste this wine, it's just a delicious champagne. Beautiful acid cuts right through the wine, supporting apple, some creamy berry, biscuit and mineral. As I think back when I reloaded these, I should have done more of them. Showing excellent, everything I look for in champagne with the acidity, balance, reasoned dosage. Super.
These don't get enough play here. They seem to fit in that sweet spot of not-too-little, but not-too-much that Vilmart also occupies. Had this particular bottle with Sahba for New Years the year before last. One of my favorite champagnes of the past few years. It had the perfect balance of precision and creamy fruit. Like you, I shoulda bought more.

bob poirier
GCC Member
GCC Member

#377 Post by bob poirier » November 12th, 2018, 5:29 am

2012 Hervieux-Dumez Champagne Special Club - France, Champagne (11/12/2018)
Picked up a couple of these while staying in Sacy. Wish I bought more, this is all about brioche, lees on the nose with the palate adding some citrus and green apple notes. Great zesty finish.

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#378 Post by Craig G » November 13th, 2018, 8:32 pm

2009 Gimonnet Fleuron: I hadn’t been super-impressed by any Gimonnet before but this is excellent. My note is much better than the same wine two years back.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

YLee

#379 Post by YLee » November 13th, 2018, 10:13 pm

2000 pierre jouet belle epoque blanc de blancs.
From the nose to the tongue. From the mouth to my stomach. I'm in heaven.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

IlkkaL

#380 Post by IlkkaL » November 13th, 2018, 10:37 pm

Andrew Christiansen wrote:
November 11th, 2018, 11:18 pm
Frank Murray III wrote:
November 10th, 2018, 6:33 pm
These don't get enough play here. They seem to fit in that sweet spot of not-too-little, but not-too-much that Vilmart also occupies. Had this particular bottle with Sahba for New Years the year before last. One of my favorite champagnes of the past few years. It had the perfect balance of precision and creamy fruit. Like you, I shoulda bought more.
As the producer's fame has grown I think all the other cuvées besides Sainte Anne have become somewhat tough to find consistently. Just bought a bottle of the 2012 Les Beaux Sens, a 100 % Meunier. Have not had this one yet but my expectations are really high based on the vintage reputation and some earlier vintages of Les Barres and Les Orizeaux, Les Couarres less so.
Last name = L u !V! !V! e

Steve Nordhoff
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#381 Post by Steve Nordhoff » November 24th, 2018, 3:32 pm

2009 Cristal for Thanksgiving was superb. Packed, full of orchard fruit, great aromas and plenty of acid.

Jacquesson 736. These always seem a little better with age. Bright, focused, yellow fruits and great balance. Very nice, my last bottle.
ITB -Riverain Vineyards

etomasi

#382 Post by etomasi » November 24th, 2018, 7:12 pm

NV Lanson Rose from a few years back (5/2013 disgorgement) - tasty, with full red fruit with some nice roundness, but starting to get a bitterness on the back end. As well its my last bottle from this batch.

NV Camille Saves Rose - opened 2 for thanksgiving. One was slightly off (slight TCA), most people didnt notice, so I just drank from the good one, lol - Pretty much as expected, light crisp dusty red fruit, great minerality and acidity. Not my favorite style of champagne, but nice for an aperitif and with cheese.
---
Eric Tomasi
CT: Ericindc

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#383 Post by Frank Murray III » November 25th, 2018, 9:02 am

• 2012 Marguet Père et Fils Champagne La Grande Ruelle - France, Champagne (11/22/2018)
    Disgorged May 2017, zero dosage, 100% Pinot Noir. I have had this wine on my short list for 2018 WOTY for several months. It's impressed me both of the previous times I have had it. Once again, it is delicious. Salty, with black cherry, a light dried herb and citrus. It drinks with a focused, intense quality that I really dig. My hunch is that the intensity of this wine will turn some drinkers off. I though like it, as the energy conveys a sense of purity, clean and real.
  • 2014 Vouette et Sorbée Champagne Textures - France, Champagne (11/22/2018)
    Firs time with this V et S bottling. 100% Pinot Blanc, zero dosage, disgorged 01-02-17 with base of 2014 and farmed biodynamic. Bottle 701. This is good. Mix of light lemon, a touch of pineapple, pear and chalk, finishing with a deep cut of refresing minerality. Between the moderate acidity and structure that wraps the fruit elements, this is very good and worth seeking a few more to age into the short-term. I'm liking V et S more and more and beginning to build some inventory of their wines now.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Hank Victor
GCC Member
GCC Member

#384 Post by Hank Victor » December 7th, 2018, 12:59 pm

Last night I had the opportunity to drink a few of Pommery's champagnes in particular their prestige cuvee. Their entry level brut is disappointing and would rather purchase many other non champagne sparklers at half of the cost. Rosé was actually quite good and I would drink again. Solid rosé champagne for around the $55 mark. The Cuvée Louise 2004 was a very good champagne but in context to other champagnes in that price area this champagne would not be my first choice. Would rather drink a Rare 2002.

Pommery Brut Royal
Pommery Brut Rosé
Pommery Cuvée Louise 2004
P! - ITB
Take a chance, Columbus did..

B R 1 M 0

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#385 Post by Frank Murray III » December 11th, 2018, 8:48 pm

There were a few of these hanging around Envoyer today so I opened one that I already had at home to give it a test drive. Nice stuff. For those local, if you end up at the shop, grab one. $55 for solid Montagne stuff, dosed at 2.5g and so there is enough spine here to mix with the fruit that gives this at a decade old some nice character. Gonna grab some more.
  • 2008 Huré Frères Champagne Terre Natale - France, Champagne (12/11/2018)
    Wow, first TN on this wine? Cool. Bought 2 of these from Envoyer. Finally got one opened tonight. No back label info but the breakdown is 40 Chard / 30 and 30 PN and PM. The Freres website says the dosage is 2.5 g/l FWIW. This comes from Ludes, which is two villages east of Vilmart (in Rilly). This started off as a bit flat and boring to me, but with air it came around nicely. Yeasty aromatic, with green apple and strawberry/black cherry fruit, along with a nice spine of saline and a finishing savory note. Enjoyed this.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#386 Post by Warren Taranow » December 11th, 2018, 11:32 pm

1946 Andre Clouet Coteaux Champenois Rouge Bouzy. Champagne cork despite being a still wine.
Promising beautiful deep pink/ruby color. On the nose: bandaid, mothballs and kimchi. Not good, but glad to take a small sip of history. Thanks to Bob & Jenise for bringing it.

CT - WST

Subu Ramachandran

#387 Post by Subu Ramachandran » December 12th, 2018, 5:43 am

Frank Murray III wrote:
December 11th, 2018, 8:48 pm
There were a few of these hanging around Envoyer today so I opened one that I already had at home to give it a test drive. Nice stuff. For those local, if you end up at the shop, grab one. $55 for solid Montagne stuff, dosed at 2.5g and so there is enough spine here to mix with the fruit that gives this at a decade old some nice character. Gonna grab some more.
  • 2008 Huré Frères Champagne Terre Natale - France, Champagne (12/11/2018)
    Wow, first TN on this wine? Cool. Bought 2 of these from Envoyer. Finally got one opened tonight. No back label info but the breakdown is 40 Chard / 30 and 30 PN and PM. The Freres website says the dosage is 2.5 g/l FWIW. This comes from Ludes, which is two villages east of Vilmart (in Rilly). This started off as a bit flat and boring to me, but with air it came around nicely. Yeasty aromatic, with green apple and strawberry/black cherry fruit, along with a nice spine of saline and a finishing savory note. Enjoyed this.
Nice one Frank. I have a few tucked away. Quick question, do you think this is Barrel aged? How about ML?

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#388 Post by Neal.Mollen » December 12th, 2018, 6:07 am

Blake Brown wrote:
November 1st, 2018, 1:57 am
Steven Orloff wrote:
Totally agree. I've had at least 7 bottles and all were in a consistently fine place with nice balance and nice spicy red fruit albeit with some just noticeable sweetness.
Agreed. We've had several bottles over the last couple of months and have enjoyed every one
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#389 Post by Frank Murray III » December 12th, 2018, 4:29 pm

Subu, I am not just reciting my reply here from my experience............I mined the answer from the Freres website.

For the wine I posted on: http://www.champagne-hure-freres.com/#cuvees

As for elevage and such, no mention of ML but there is wood involved.
In the same spirit of rigor, consistency of our wines, we have kept since our beginnings "reserve wines" which are the "memory of the house". These wines, preserved in casks and in vats, are assembled with the wines of the year according to the principle of the solera. It is mainly in the reserve cuvée "Invitation" that we use this method

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Subu Ramachandran

#390 Post by Subu Ramachandran » December 13th, 2018, 7:17 am

Thanks Frank for googling the answer. Thought you knew on the top of your head.

Looks like many top producers (I adore) are barrel aging. Vilmart, Bereche, Marguet, Savart, Hebrart. Good to know Hure Freres is in the same mold.

Er€z _ L.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#391 Post by Er€z _ L. » December 15th, 2018, 4:02 pm

2008 Guy Charlemagne Grand Cru Mesnillésime VV BdB
Neighbors and I are enjoying a good taste tonight. I decided to open one to see where it stands, and I am now kicking myself for not buying more. I agree with Warren's notes (From Nov) that this one would benefit from aging. I would say though that it already 'lives' well within what I'm expecting from an aging bubbly: More on the dry side, golden color. Long long bubbles, big floral with citrus and some honey (think early spring in Reims), well balance palate with slight lemon, floral and a touch of the yeast and apples. Yes, this one tastes well above its price range. Hence, the 'self kicking'. Four may have been a short purchase. Medium and getting longer finish. Excellent
£ € n c n @ r

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#392 Post by alan weinberg » December 16th, 2018, 10:32 am

tried 08 Phillipponat 1522 and 08 Lassalle Angeline last night. Angeline won. More layered and integrated.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#393 Post by Frank Murray III » December 25th, 2018, 1:46 pm

• 2013 Marguet Père et Fils Champagne Grand Cru Shaman 12 - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (12/24/2018)
    76 PN / 24 Chard, disgorged 01/17, zero dosage. First of three. Crisp lime, black raspberry, apple and a cool chalky core. Finishes with a good drizzle of lime and citrus.

Looking forward to Mr Jay Hack's charity week starting tomorrow so we can really get a bunch of bottles open and notes going through end of year.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Steve Nordhoff
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#394 Post by Steve Nordhoff » January 2nd, 2019, 8:51 am

2006 Billecart Blanc de Blanc - 11 years on the lees, sourced from four Côte de Blanc grand cru vineyards, including Chetillons. 6g dosage. This was super. Bright energetic and fresh, all sorts of orchard fruit and great balance and acidity. Superb length.
ITB -Riverain Vineyards

Mike Hawkins

#395 Post by Mike Hawkins » January 2nd, 2019, 4:03 pm

2004 Charlemagne Mesnillesime.. just starting to get the secondary characters I like in BDB.. honey and toast. Great future.

2004 Taittinger Comte BDB... better version of the above, but perhaps a tad more youthful.

2002 Camille Saves... in a great spot and right at its peak for my tastes. Thankfully no sherry notes which I m not a huge fan of.

1990 Pol Roger Brut... love this wine. Another in its wheelhouse. Changes dramatically with exposure to air. Trademark ripeness from the vintage.

Barry Sunderland

#396 Post by Barry Sunderland » January 2nd, 2019, 8:08 pm

Taittinger La Francaise NV
Beautifully dry, lovely acidity...a fab buy @ $30.

ky1em!ttskus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#397 Post by ky1em!ttskus » January 12th, 2019, 5:59 pm

Vilmart Rubis
Attachments
72BC4D2C-4CA4-4FDC-A810-EE91EC5D49C6.jpeg

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#398 Post by Warren Taranow » January 12th, 2019, 6:25 pm

ky1em!ttskus wrote:
January 12th, 2019, 5:59 pm
Vilmart Rubis
I just took a big reload on that (which I really don’t need). Was it as nice as I remember my previous bottles?

Cheers
Warren

CT - WST

ky1em!ttskus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#399 Post by ky1em!ttskus » January 12th, 2019, 6:33 pm

Warren, I’m re-upping. champagne.gif

Michael Klein

#400 Post by Michael Klein » January 12th, 2019, 6:44 pm

2014 José Dhondt, from Magnum. Fresh, citrus/lemon. Very good.

Return to “Wine Talk”