Which Champagne are you drinking?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Sarah Kirschbaum

#301 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » July 18th, 2018, 6:10 am

Thanks so much, Brad. Very helpful and sounds like something we'll enjoy. We took a bit of a flyer on this for a good price, based on our affinity for other Deutz bottlings and a few positive notes. Good to hear another strong review.

Shannon Perdue
GCC Member
GCC Member

#302 Post by Shannon Perdue » July 18th, 2018, 9:17 am

2002 Pierre Gimonnet & Fils Champagne Premier Cru Blanc de Blancs Brut Fleuron https://www.cellartracker.com/note.asp? ... te=7129135 A smaller producer that I followed through a six bottle lot. A very good wine that ended up being better without food. Depending on how you like your Champagnes it might be a good time to indulge in these. champagne.gif

ky1em!ttskus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#303 Post by ky1em!ttskus » July 18th, 2018, 5:56 pm

Frank Murray III wrote:
ky1em!ttskus wrote:NV Vilmart Grand Reserve (dis. 9/15) with simple fish tacos.

Okay, okay; I get it. This stuff’s pretty good. ;)
You have just brushed the surface. Next is the Grand Cellier d'Or and the Coeur de Cuvee. Then, you will have caught the complete Vilmart bug.
Night 2 with salmon grilled with lemon and olive oil. This stuff is LEGIT.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#304 Post by Frank Murray III » July 18th, 2018, 6:01 pm

In your honor Mr. Mittskus, i bought more Vilmart this week. 2012 and 2013 Grand Cellier d'Or. :P

Your fault. :)
My WOTY candidates for 2019:
2014 Marie Courtin Eloquence Blanc de Blancs Extra Brut
2017 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Occidental Ridge SC PN
2017 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Platt SC PN
2017 Kutch Pinot Noir SC PN
2009 Roederer Cristal Brut

My best wines of 2018:
2017 Kutch Falstaff Sonoma Coast PN
2012 Marguet La Grande Ruelle Ambonnay

Kindness matters.

Er€z _ L.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#305 Post by Er€z _ L. » July 18th, 2018, 7:17 pm

During this business trip, I had the '06 Dom three times (three different bottles, three different events). I would say that the taste has been very consistent and the floral opened up since the first time I tasted it about 18 months ago. Longer finish, great return especially if you can get it on a sale. I will sketch the tasting notes from my 'notes' later
£ € n c n @ r

Steve Nordhoff
GCC Member
GCC Member

#306 Post by Steve Nordhoff » July 19th, 2018, 7:03 am

Frank Murray III wrote:In your honor Mr. Mittskus, i bought more Vilmart this week. 2012 and 2013 Grand Cellier d'Or. :P

Your fault. :)
The 2012 is killer
ITB -Riverain Vineyards

Jayson Cohen

#307 Post by Jayson Cohen » July 19th, 2018, 12:46 pm

Frank Murray III wrote:

You have just brushed the surface. Next is the Grand Cellier d'Or and the Coeur de Cuvee. Then, you will have caught the complete Vilmart bug.
An easy bug to catch, but reading some of your comments about sugar in various contexts, Frank, I would have thought you would find the typical Vilmart dosage high for your palate. Not so?

ky1em!ttskus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#308 Post by ky1em!ttskus » July 19th, 2018, 1:15 pm

Jayson Cohen wrote:
Frank Murray III wrote:

An easy bug to catch, but reading some of your comments about sugar in various contexts, Frank, I would have thought you would find the typical Vilmart dosage high for your palate. Not so?
Nice, Jayson. I was wondering the same and was a bit worried about my own palate calibration. I found the NV to be absolutely delicious with plenty of acidity, but it was rich and a tad bit oxidative.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#309 Post by Frank Murray III » July 19th, 2018, 1:28 pm

Jayson, correct--not so. Yes, the dosages on Vilmart represent the highest in my cellar, yet Laurent's wines exhibit a balance and cut from the acidity that in effect for me makes the dosage transparent. He is brilliant in how he can make ripeness and acidity work, and it doesn't come off to me having the 7-UP/lemon-lime character that I dislike in Champagne.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Chris P0niatow$ki

#310 Post by Chris P0niatow$ki » July 19th, 2018, 1:57 pm

NV RH Coutier has been on my mind lately. Everything you could want in a $35-$40 champagne and more IMHO.

Al Osterheld

#311 Post by Al Osterheld » July 19th, 2018, 2:53 pm

I buy some of both, but prefer Coutier's NV BdD to the Brut.

-Al

Ian Fitzsimmons

#312 Post by Ian Fitzsimmons » July 21st, 2018, 3:48 pm

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:Over July 4th and this past weekend

'95 Dom Perignon Jeroboam - disgorged 2006. In effect a large format DP that's an unlabeled Oenotheque. This has been drinking incredibly well since release and has not changed much over the past ten or so years. Classic smoky DP nose. Round and creamy on the palate. Yellow fruit with some acidity. I thought this would last the six of us until the third course; didn't make it to the first. Staggering minus

'64 Dom Perignon
- DOA

'64 Dom Perignon - Getting down to my last few bottles of this, but most bottles need to be drunk up as my current hit rate is about 60/40. My epiphany for "older" Champagne about twenty-five years ago, numerous bottles have delivered great pleasure since. When great examples like this are come across it almost makes those failures worth it. A touch of effervescence, caramel, coffee, marzipan and enough fruit to make it complete. Staggering Plus

'69 Dom Perignon
- Foil capsule but no other labeling to help discern the disgorgement date. Not sure when DP started putting "RD" on their labels but I assume this bottle was disgorged some time in the '80's. Still lively enough that I wouldn't consider this bottle fully mature. Much paler in color than the '64. Staggering

'64 H. Germaine - Not sure when or why I bought this, but unless it was in a mixed lot with some other gems, it was a mistake. DOA

'75 Irroy Cuvee Marie Antoinette - A shame this house didn't continue as it had in the past. I've had great Irroy's from the '20's through the 70's and this definitely was great. My last bottle and I don't think I've had it since I was at very high altitude in Colorado about ten years ago where its effervescence definitely was boosted. A good decision to open this as it definitely won't get any better. Great mature Champagne flavors. I'm afraid unknown Champagne gems like this may no longer exist. Staggering minus

'90 Pol Roger Jeroboam - Bought a number of these on release when they were almost free. Would be a great value for far more than I paid. A huge hit for the casual Champagne drinkers as well as those with more experience. Great pairing for my current go to food course which is a crab with chipotle mayo, avocado, tomato and corn tower with chives and basil oil. For me, not every Champagne needs to be aged for 40+ years, and this is a perfect example. Excellent plus.
I have a mag of Pol Roger '96 I've been worried about over-aging; but I guess I should chill out about it.

How do you go about drinking a Jeroboam of Champagne? With many guests, I imagine.

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#313 Post by Alan Eden » July 21st, 2018, 6:06 pm

Ian Fitzsimmons wrote:
R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:Over July 4th and this past weekend

'95 Dom Perignon Jeroboam - disgorged 2006. In effect a large format DP that's an unlabeled Oenotheque. This has been drinking incredibly well since release and has not changed much over the past ten or so years. Classic smoky DP nose. Round and creamy on the palate. Yellow fruit with some acidity. I thought this would last the six of us until the third course; didn't make it to the first. Staggering minus

'64 Dom Perignon
- DOA

'64 Dom Perignon - Getting down to my last few bottles of this, but most bottles need to be drunk up as my current hit rate is about 60/40. My epiphany for "older" Champagne about twenty-five years ago, numerous bottles have delivered great pleasure since. When great examples like this are come across it almost makes those failures worth it. A touch of effervescence, caramel, coffee, marzipan and enough fruit to make it complete. Staggering Plus

'69 Dom Perignon
- Foil capsule but no other labeling to help discern the disgorgement date. Not sure when DP started putting "RD" on their labels but I assume this bottle was disgorged some time in the '80's. Still lively enough that I wouldn't consider this bottle fully mature. Much paler in color than the '64. Staggering

'64 H. Germaine - Not sure when or why I bought this, but unless it was in a mixed lot with some other gems, it was a mistake. DOA

'75 Irroy Cuvee Marie Antoinette - A shame this house didn't continue as it had in the past. I've had great Irroy's from the '20's through the 70's and this definitely was great. My last bottle and I don't think I've had it since I was at very high altitude in Colorado about ten years ago where its effervescence definitely was boosted. A good decision to open this as it definitely won't get any better. Great mature Champagne flavors. I'm afraid unknown Champagne gems like this may no longer exist. Staggering minus

'90 Pol Roger Jeroboam - Bought a number of these on release when they were almost free. Would be a great value for far more than I paid. A huge hit for the casual Champagne drinkers as well as those with more experience. Great pairing for my current go to food course which is a crab with chipotle mayo, avocado, tomato and corn tower with chives and basil oil. For me, not every Champagne needs to be aged for 40+ years, and this is a perfect example. Excellent plus.
I have a mag of Pol Roger '96 I've been worried about over-aging; but I guess I should chill out about it.

How do you go about drinking a Jeroboam of Champagne? With many guests, I imagine.
Very long straws ??
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#314 Post by Frank Murray III » July 22nd, 2018, 1:53 pm

• 2008 Champagne Godmé Sabine Champagne Grand Cru - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (7/21/2018)
    Some wines with friends (My House In The South OC): Poured blind. 60% Chard / 40% PN, with a dosage of 5 g/l. Brioche, raspberry, green apple (which led me to think Montagne), chalk, salty with a finish of lime zest. Terrific.
  • 2012 Moussé Fils Champagne Terre d'illite Blanc de Noirs - France, Champagne (7/21/2018)
    Some wines with friends (My House In The South OC): Poured blind, was single blind for me as this bottle (and the Mon Village non-dose I paired with it) were both from my cellar, but I didn't know which bag held which wine. Knowing that this Terre d'Illite was 5 g/l and the Mon Village is non-dose, it made the distinction easy to identify the bottles. Disgorged 07/2017. Light brioche, black cherry, apple (Brig called it apple-sauce), lemon-lime with finishing with a stony note. I then just left the bottle out overnight, uncorked and at room temp of about 70f, re-tasting again with the last few ounces that are now still, no bubbles left. Aromatics of golden apple and crushed rock. The palate is squarely yellow apple at this point, and with a spiciness that it reflects too, along with the brioche quality, I can almost think about a liquefied apple pie. Finishes with a tangy, intense raspberry quality and the same stoniness of last night. Having now revisited this and seeing it revealed with this kind of air and uncloaked with the room temp, I really like this bottle. Will source a few more as it's pleasing, not as austere as the Mon Village, which should make the wine a good choice for those who aren't into the energy and edge of the Mon Village.
  • NV Moussé Fils Champagne Blanc de Meuniers Premier Cru Brut Zéro Les Vignes de Mon Village - France, Champagne (7/21/2018)
    Some wines with friends (My House In The South OC): Poured blind, a bottle from my cellar so I knew what was under the bag. Paired with the Terre d'Illite bottling too which was under the other bag in the pair I selected for the dinner. I left the remnants of the bottle sit out overnight on the counter, uncorked and at room temp (about 70f). Re-tasting now to see how my impressions match to last night, and worth noting the CO2 is nearly all dissipated, leaving a still wine. Disgorged /2/2017, zero dosage and 100% PM. Aromatics show very similar to my notes from last night, reflecting grapefruit and white pepper. Core of lemon and fresh cut green apple slices. Finishes with a mix of lemon peel, apple flesh and the same stoniness of the Terre d'Illite. I really enjoy the wines of Cedric Mousse and the more I drink of them, I appreciate what he is cranking out and value his philosophy of biodynamic care for the plots he is using for these cuvees. Lovely champagne.
  • 2012 Marie Courtin Champagne Efflorescence Extra Brut - France, Champagne (7/20/2018)
    Disgorged 6/16, 0 dosage. 100% PN. This needed some air to come around and it showed nicely. Pure and balanced with lime and approachable in tone.
  • NV Champagne Godmé Sabine Champagne Grand Cru Blanc de Noirs - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (7/20/2018)
    No disgorge info on bottle. 6 g/l. Creamy and a liitle red fruits. Delicious.
Posted from CellarTracker

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Which Champagne are you drinking?

#315 Post by Frank Murray III » September 1st, 2018, 6:04 pm

• 2011 Chartogne-Taillet Champagne Beaux Sens - France, Champagne (9/1/2018)
    2011 base with dosage of 3 g/l, 100% PM. Don’t see a disgorge date. A very unique tasting wine. On one hand, I like the lemon curd and pie crust quality and brushing of herb (mint?), yet it also reflects a flatness to me, a rounded profile that lacks complexity. It’s showing a bit of a bruised yellow apple quality too, a little oxidized in tone. My belief is that this is ready to drink now, provided you agree with my assessment about complexity.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

J.Vizuete
GCC Member
GCC Member

#316 Post by J.Vizuete » September 1st, 2018, 6:52 pm

I enjoyed the 2008 Pol Roger BdB yesterday and... just wow. I’ve visited champagne, my wife really enjoys it, and I’ve appreciated different types of complexity (deep minerality and broad yeasty profiles) within a variety of top tier cuvees. Still, it makes up a very small portion of my cellar and I done very little comparative tasting. This was followed by a 2008 cristal, not blinded. I significantly preferred the Pol Roger for present drinking. So much more going on - bread, hazelnut, baked apple. It was astoundingly good, whereas the cristal was much more green and linear at this phase
John V.

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#317 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » September 1st, 2018, 7:09 pm

Tonight, with gougeres we had the Chartogne Taillet Cuvee Sainte Anne
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Sarah Kirschbaum

#318 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » September 2nd, 2018, 4:42 am

• NV Perseval Farge Champagne Brut Nature La Pucelle - France, Champagne (9/1/2018)
    December 2015 disgorgement. This was our first experience with this cuvee and with Perseval Farge in general, though many friends like the house. We found this well made, structured, with a gripping finish, as a proper brut nature should be. Nice bright mid palate, not juicy but there's some peach and lightly toasted bread giving complexity. Not a pleaser for a crowd, but a good oyster or caviar champagne. A pleasant and effective cleanser, not too much or too little character to make a good tool. Some time will benefit, as there's some red berry, clove, anise buried in there that a few years will likely bring out. Would be nice with fried chicken. I'd say it's the right price at $60. I'm very glad to have a few more in the cellar and I'll be very interested in following them, but I don't think it's a load-up champagne for us. It's tough to stand out from the extremely strong grower field at this price point, which isn't meant as a slight against this wine, but rather a compliment to the category.

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#319 Post by Blake Brown » September 2nd, 2018, 5:45 am

To post a response to the thread title, evidently not enough of the right kind of "older" champagnes according to the Pros on this board. I'm in the hunt and would appreciate any leads any may have for these treasures.

To qualify "older", I`m referring to 1970s and older.

Thanks for any feedback.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#320 Post by David Glasser » September 2nd, 2018, 5:56 am

2002 Pol Roger and 2002 Pol Roger BdB. Reports of their early demise had me concerned. These bottles were very enjoyable, showing some age but not over the hill. Reassured me that I still have a few years left to consume them.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#321 Post by Frank Murray III » September 2nd, 2018, 12:03 pm

• 2013 Vilmart & Cie Champagne Premier Cru Grand Cellier d'Or - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru (9/2/2018)
    Same bottle data as the bottle we tasted at the winery. Disgorged 06/2017, 80 Chard, 20 PN. This is fantastic, with a distinct lemon peel and mineral, salty undercurrent that lengthens across my palate and into the finish. Green apple, light grapefruit, too. The intensity on this vintage is excellent, with beautiful balance and the grip of the mineral in the finish. Excellent.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#322 Post by Frank Murray III » September 2nd, 2018, 8:10 pm

• NV Lanson Champagne Brut Black Label - France, Champagne (9/2/2018)
    Found this on a shelf in Maui, the last bottle of it, too. What attracted me was the disgorge date of 12/2011. Lemon, honey, even a bit fleshy with some tropical tones. Finishes with a nice core of lime and saline. We paid $47 US for this and for being the loner bottle on the shelf, this was a steal. Probably doesn’t hurt too that it’s got some bottle age.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Yao C

#323 Post by Yao C » September 2nd, 2018, 10:12 pm

Somewhat underwhelmed by Krug Grande Cuvée 166 (ID 117011): good grip and length but neither the complexity and interest of the 164 nor the generosity and pleasure of the 165. Obviously I have no idea where it will ultimately end up, but it’s hard to justify getting any at comparable prices to the 164/165
C h 0 o n 6

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#324 Post by Blake Brown » September 3rd, 2018, 4:52 am

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
April 26th, 2016, 1:04 pm
Been drinking up my Champagnes from the 60's lately. Many are starting to get long in the tooth and definitely won't improve with any more bottle age other than the late disgorged versions.

Here's the partial line-up for tonight, Wed and Thurs.
I'm looking forward to your notes Ray.
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#325 Post by Blake Brown » September 3rd, 2018, 4:56 am

Yao C wrote:
September 2nd, 2018, 10:12 pm
Somewhat underwhelmed by Krug Grande Cuvée 166 (ID 117011): good grip and length but neither the complexity and interest of the 164 nor the generosity and pleasure of the 165. Obviously I have no idea where it will ultimately end up, but it’s hard to justify getting any at comparable prices to the 164/165
I just reviewed another release of the 166 eme with the code of #117006 and had a little different experience: "although really young and still working on reaching its certain to be achieved sweet spot, it had much to be proud of with the requisite toasted dough, ginger, all-spice and mild nutty notes providing accents to the lemon, lime, apple and honeydew melon fruit; it had classic Krug feel, richness and length and just teased of the treasures to come."

I'm wondering how much variation can there be from these and why?
Napolean Bonaparte

Yao C

#326 Post by Yao C » September 3rd, 2018, 7:53 am

Hm, the entries for both IDs look the same, and I felt I treated the bottle right - couple of hours air, not too cold. It could just be that your palate is better at detecting the potential in the 166 than mine [cheers.gif]
C h 0 o n 6

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#327 Post by Blake Brown » September 3rd, 2018, 8:33 am

Yao C wrote:
September 3rd, 2018, 7:53 am
Hm, the entries for both IDs look the same, and I felt I treated the bottle right - couple of hours air, not too cold. It could just be that your palate is better at detecting the potential in the 166 than mine [cheers.gif]
2 different IDs and the same entries is mysterious enough. Why would they do that?

Re my/ our palates: it is what it is and we are both correct for our impression at that time for that bottle AND being able to put it into words that express it.
Napolean Bonaparte

Mary Deem

#328 Post by Mary Deem » September 6th, 2018, 1:14 pm

Val Frison Portlandia R14 disgorged December 2016
Nose: Juicy yellow & green apples, white & green grape skins. I love Val Frison wines for their generous fruit forward nose. Not sugary fruit, rather the essence of the grape - tart skin included.

Palate : Stunning ripe yet tart fruit of white & green grapes, meyer lemons..that wonderful mouth puckering tartness balanced with pure intense fruit. Heathen that I am, Chardonnay based or dominant wines can be a love or hate thing with me....and Val Frison joins a very short list of Chardonnay based/dominant Champagnes that I love Relatively Young. There is a wonderful 'essence of the fruit of the vine;...without any manipulation of the wine to obscure it...unique to only Val Frison and Vouette et Sorbée (in my humble misguided opinion).

Speaking of which I have read that Bertrand Gautherot encouraged both Valerie Frison Thierry de Marne to go from grower to grower-producer resulting in the wonderful 'De Marne-Frison'..later becoming Val-Frison when the two split up. It is appropriate I think, that I find Vouette et Sorbée and Val-Frison similar yet different expressions of a similar philosephy. One of my great pleasures is openning a bottle of each producer to compare and contrast.

My Wonderful Wine Enabler informs me that future bottlings will not be named. 'Portlandia', the soil in which the grapes are grown. ' It seems the creators of the TV ceris of the same name have protested Val Frison wine of the same name :( It is pretty sad when TV triumphs terroir.

Edited to add: The more you let thissit at room temp, the more golden juicy apple mixed with tarter apple pith/cire -fabelous. Went out for a 40 minute hike and came back to an apple orchard in the glass.

I would encourage anyone loves Vouette et Sorbée to try Val Frison if they have not already.

----------------
After a Spring and Summer of No Drinking Wine due to adrenal issues (extremely elevated cortisol levels resulting in elevated pulse and blood pressure) I must say that it is wonderful to back. Not being able to enjy my weekend wine probably contributed to the stress along with the loss of my aunt and two close friends in a two month period. Alcohol itself raises cortisol levels so the doctors advise against it when dealing elevated cortiso levels...but I would argue that the joy derived from a well made wine does more to soothe the spirit than all the suppliments in the world.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#329 Post by Frank Murray III » September 9th, 2018, 10:57 am

• 2012 Marie Courtin Champagne Efflorescence Extra Brut - France, Champagne (9/9/2018)
    Served blind. Third bottle of this over the last couple months. Started off a little weird in the aromatic but then evolved to a floral thing that I could not describe, along with a yeasty note. It has a black cherry quality, supported by lemon and apple, with lovely balance, picking up a minerality with air. This bottle seemed leaner tonight than the mag we had of this last month.
  • 2013 Ruppert-Leroy Champagne Pinot Noir Brut Nature Les Cognaux - France, Champagne (9/9/2018)
    Served blind. Couple immediate things stood out. The aromatic was quite toasty and the wine was golden colored, which also translated into the wine as a bruised apple quality. Brioche, lemon, and the finish was a bit rough, too. I had a hard time figuring this out, and I tend to like the R-L wines.
  • 2013 Ulysse Collin Champagne Extra Brut Blanc de Noirs Les Maillons - France, Champagne (9/9/2018)
    Served blind. Disgorged 02/2017. This was my first time tasting Collin. When this first served, it was powerful and intense, with lots of impressive coil. Lemon, steely, with green apple, chalk and some strawberry lurking, too. Enjoyed this a lot.
  • NV Egly-Ouriet Champagne Premier Cru Brut "Les Vignes de Vrigny" - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru (9/9/2018)
    Served blind. Been some time since I tasted E-O wines. This was an excellent bottle, spicy with lots of depth, fresh with flavor and lots going on. It had a distinct jasmine flower aromatic to me, with creamy berry, honey and a polished finish. A reminder for me to make sure I pull the handle on the next E-O offering.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#330 Post by Blake Brown » September 9th, 2018, 11:07 am

Nice notes on bubbly I do not have- appreciate it.

I like that you tasted these blind Frank. Not had any 13`s yet. Really don't have much info re the vintage as it relates to the overall picture and the varietals individually.
Napolean Bonaparte

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#331 Post by Frank Murray III » September 9th, 2018, 11:23 am

Blake, I was not thrilled with the Ruppert-Leroy y/day but so far, everything I have had from 2013 to date has been terrific, with best exampled by the Vilmart Grand Cellier d'Or last week. That wine nearly spun my head off, it was excellent.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#332 Post by Blake Brown » September 9th, 2018, 11:27 am

Frank Murray III wrote:
September 9th, 2018, 11:23 am
Blake, I was not thrilled with the Ruppert-Leroy y/day but so far, everything I have had from 2013 to date has been terrific, with best exampled by the Vilmart Grand Cellier d'Or last week. That wine nearly spun my head off, it was excellent.
Thanks. What do you know about the vintage? And, is this the same Leroy as in Duval-Leroy?
Napolean Bonaparte

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#333 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » September 9th, 2018, 3:30 pm

Yesterday at Marea during the Acker auction -

'71 Pol Roger Blanc de Chardonnay - very lively effervescence for its age. Medium gold color. Not much fruit on the nose but there are mature notes with little oxidation. On the palate the yellow fruit is apparent, but mature flavors significantly enhance the fruit especially the notes of honey. Prior to this bottle the oldest Champagne someone at my table had ever drunk was a 1990. He was blown away by this. Staggering minus

'88 Krug
- Purchased in Europe upon release. Quite muted upon opening. The person who brought this showed up a bit late otherwise I would have opened it at least 45 or so minutes in advance. Every additional pour got better, showing more fruit especially the classic green apple. As good as this wine is and has been, unless it really develops over the next decade, it will not reach the heights I had hoped and expected that it would. Staggering minus

'02 Bollinger RD - disgorged in 2013 which while a few years later than the original disgorgement is not nearly as late as a DP Oeno or Krug Collection. Very pleasant toasty/bready nose. Good yellow and red fruit on the palate. Very approachable for a wine disgorged just five years ago. I'm one who thinks Bollinger's more current wines should be drunk in their youth - 20 years or less - unlike their wines from the 50's and 60's that seemed to be fresh forever. Excellent

Had a few other tastes but didn't have more than an ounce or two so I'll defer on commenting on those.
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#334 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » September 11th, 2018, 5:40 pm

'66 Bollinger - great looking bottle with good fill and better color. Some effervescence upon first pour. Could pass for a Champagne 10-15 years younger. Dissipates somewhat quickly in the glass but shows on the palate. Great marriage of fruit and mature Champagne flavors of marzipan, honey and a touch of chocolate, all balanced by surprising acidity. Not sure Bollinger's current vintages will ever be able to compete with their older vintages like the '66. Just one bottle left. Staggering Plus

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#335 Post by Frank Murray III » September 11th, 2018, 6:51 pm

• NV Paul Dethune Champagne Brut Rosé - France, Champagne (9/11/2018)
    Getting close to 20 bottles consumed of this stuff. This bottle disgorged 10/2017. This go round, plenty of tangy energy of blood orange, red apple and a bitter licorice note. It's about time to reload on what I continue to see as my favorite go-to QPR Rose bubblies. Love Dethune Rose.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#336 Post by Jay Miller » September 12th, 2018, 6:26 am

Opened a lovely 2012 Bereche Remensis Rose on Monday. Needed 10-15 minutes to open up.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#337 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » September 13th, 2018, 9:01 am

Had a couple of bottles of Krug and a trio of '81's to start off a long and leisurely lunch with good friends at Marea.

Reception

'88 Krug - Opened about 45 minutes prior to being served. Classic Krug profile with some green apple mixed with yellow fruit. A big powerhouse vintage of Krug with a very strong backbone. Somebody said that this will last another 50 or 60 years, to which I replied that I'm relatively sure I get to know that firsthand. Staggering

'96 Krug - Also opened 45 minuted to be poured. I believe it was purchased in Europe upon release, but this was a bit advanced compared to other bottles from this vintage. That said, this still had a wealth of fruit and bracing acidity. Touch of oxidation on the finish took a bit away from a normally great Champagne. Excellent

With the First Course of Crudo

These were all opened just prior to serving.

'81 Taittinger CdC - Not a perfect example so not nearly as good as the bottle I had a few months ago. A touch of effervescence, with plenty of mature flavors but it could have used more fruit and it lacked acidity. Excellent minus

'81 Charles Heidsieck Cuvee Charlie Oenotheque - The liveliness and effervescence of this Champagne was in sharp contrast to the wines on either side of it. Don't know what year it was disgorged but based on what I saw and tasted, most likely late 90's or later. Plenty of yellow fruit, some aromas of bread with just hints of maturity with a bit of nutty flavors. Excellent acidity to balance the wine of the flight. Excellent Plus

'81 Cristal - Virtually a still wine, with surely some storage issues. The clear glass doesn't do aged Cristal any favors, but it has decades of branding, so I don't have hopes for any changes. Not much on the nose, but the palate has some good mature flavors of honey and butterscotch. Unfortunately, it fell off a cliff after about 30 minutes in the glass. Good

Mary Deem

#338 Post by Mary Deem » September 16th, 2018, 12:54 pm

Chartogne-Taillet Cuvée Sainte-AnneMaine Harvest 2011, disgorged September 2014.
Rich slightly bruised golden apples, meyers lemons, hint of spice, some salinity, tart apple skins. After drinking Vouette et Sorbée and Val-Frison all summer, this feels slightly sweeter, yet has the acidity to prevent it from becoming cloying or heavy. It seems to vascilate from rich bruised fruit to lean saline citrus quality. One of my house Champagnes.

Edited to add that the nose is glorious..like bowl of sliced ripe golden apples.

J. Sweeney

#339 Post by J. Sweeney » September 17th, 2018, 11:45 am

Continue to be overly impressed with Michel Arnould "Grand Cuvée" ... One of the best ways to spend $40 on bubbles
John

Hank Victor
GCC Member
GCC Member

#340 Post by Hank Victor » September 27th, 2018, 10:05 am

Anyone drink Krug Grande Cuvee 166e recently? Found a pretty killer price.
P! - ITB
Take a chance, Columbus did..

"Two years away from being two years away”

Chris Tyler

#341 Post by Chris Tyler » October 16th, 2018, 5:20 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
July 4th, 2018, 4:54 am
Champagne sourced in London has always been just a little fresher and younger in my experience, and I will continue to make my large purchases there.
I'm curious how this works - do certain retailers ship to the US? Is the cost lower, or is it just about the quality of the champagne?
CT: christyler

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#342 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » October 16th, 2018, 5:40 pm

Chris Tyler wrote:
October 16th, 2018, 5:20 pm
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
Champagne sourced in London has always been just a little fresher and younger in my experience, and I will continue to make my large purchases there.
I'm curious how this works - do certain retailers ship to the US? Is the cost lower, or is it just about the quality of the champagne?
You need to hire an import company to bring the wines into the US. The landed cost of the Champagne is often lower and depending on how you bring the wines here, the chances of transportation issues are much lower.

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#343 Post by Mark Golodetz » October 16th, 2018, 7:15 pm

Just bought 3 cases of Moët brut Imperial from a dealer for $20 each. A nice alternative house white, and definitely a good Christmas gift.
ITB

Sarah Kirschbaum

#344 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » October 17th, 2018, 4:00 am

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
October 16th, 2018, 5:40 pm
Chris Tyler wrote:
October 16th, 2018, 5:20 pm
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
You need to hire an import company to bring the wines into the US. The landed cost of the Champagne is often lower and depending on how you bring the wines here, the chances of transportation issues are much lower.
Yes, exactly. Thanks, Ray.

NoahR

#345 Post by NoahR » October 23rd, 2018, 5:58 pm

2014 base Chartogne-Taillet Cuvée Sainte-Anne:
Incredible value, consistently excellent, and a fine example of grower champagne that punches well above its weight. Lemon and lemon curd and green apple and yeast/brioche. Aggressively mineral and taut as a wife but round on the palate after the zing wears away, with a long and zesty finish that lingers. This is always an excellent food wine and better that than a cocktail wine. Somehow it both cuts and amplified everything I’ve ever paired it with. I would age these if I ever bought enough.
Noah Raizman
Washington, DC

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#346 Post by Warren Taranow » October 25th, 2018, 10:09 am

We enjoyed a NV Larmandier-Bernier Extra Brut Rosé de Saignée last night. I’m not sure of the disgorgement date. It was dry with good cut and bead, and the fresh, creamy red berry fruit paired well with both seafood and pork.

Cheers,
Warren
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#347 Post by Warren Taranow » October 28th, 2018, 8:04 am

Come on folks, there must be other people drinking champagne out there. I shouldn't have two posts in a row.
  • NV Georges Laval Champagne Rosé Cumières - France, Champagne (10/28/2018)
    I can see why this is a controversial wine. It's unlike any champagne I've had. In the glass, it is a darker red than any rosé. On the palate, it's quite vinous, and has an unusual profile of bitter cherry, strawberry, rhubarb and a medicinal, mineral component that reminded me of Campari. Rereading my note, it's hard to believe I'm describing a champagne. I liked it a lot, but won't likely buy again given its price.
Cheers,
Warren
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#348 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » October 28th, 2018, 9:04 am

FYI vinfolio has 08 cristal for $211 for anyone interested.

Steven Orloff

#349 Post by Steven Orloff » October 29th, 2018, 1:13 pm

The two best that I have had in the last year were the 1990 Dom and the 1999 Cristal. The one I have enjoyed lately as more of an every day wine has been the NV Charles Heidsieck Brut Rose Reserve. Everyone that has tried it so far has fallen in love.

kris_lelis

#350 Post by kris_lelis » October 31st, 2018, 2:14 pm

Last night a vertical of - Jacquesson degorgement tardif Avize grand cru 1988/1990/1995

All of them very enjoyable but the 1990 was out of this world

Return to “Wine Talk”