#251 Post by ky1em!ttskus » June 17th, 2018, 4:04 pm

NV Franck Bonville Grand Cru BdB

Happy Father’s Day, gents!

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

Which Champagne are you drinking?

#252 Post by Neal.Mollen » June 17th, 2018, 4:57 pm

Put this in the wrong thread: We had the 99 Billecart Salmon Nicolas Francois (again) last night; such a sophisticated drink. I just love this champagne, and will be so sad when it is all gone. New vintages are way too expensive
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#253 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » June 17th, 2018, 6:00 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:Put this in the wrong thread: We had the 99 Billecart Salmon Nicolas Francois (again) last night; such a sophisticated drink. I just love this champagne, and will be so sad when it is all gone. New vintages are way too expensive
Opened a couple of these with Fathers' Day dinner. Excellent Plus.

But I agree that current prices make this a pass considering you can buy Taittinger CdC, DP, etc for less $.
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#254 Post by Frank Murray III » June 23rd, 2018, 5:02 pm

• NV Pierre Gerbais Champagne Brut Cuvée de Réserve - France, Champagne (6/23/2018)
    This bottle has the older version of the label on the front, and no back label. The new disgorgements would now say "Grains Celles", while this one says "Cuvee de Reserve". I believe regardless of the disgorgement dates that the wine is always built with 50% PN, then 25% Pinot Blanc and 25% Chard. And knowing the Grains Celles now is 3 g/l, my bet on this is a bit higher dosage. Opened last night, and stoppered it with a champagne closure so it has plenty of residual fizz remaining. When cold, this shows more lively lemon, and then as it warms, a shift to freshly cut green apple being the dominant taste. It rounds out with some lime and moderate complexity/light salinity. I prefer the dosage level on the newer disgorgements.
Posted from CellarTracker
My WOTY candidates for 2019:
2014 Marie Courtin Champagne Eloquence Blanc de Blancs Extra Brut

My best wines of 2018:
2017 Kutch Falstaff Sonoma Coast PN
2012 Marguet Père et Fils Champagne La Grande Ruelle Ambonnay

Kindness matters.

cjsavino
GCC Member
GCC Member

#255 Post by cjsavino » June 23rd, 2018, 5:14 pm

NV Billecart Rose’
Chris

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#256 Post by Charlie Carnes » June 24th, 2018, 9:06 am

Just drank a case of Sabine Godme rosé during a fishing and boating excursion in the Bahamas. Man was that stuff good! It works so well in the small Solo cups.
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#257 Post by Frank Murray III » June 24th, 2018, 9:20 am

Charlie Carnes wrote:Just drank a case of Sabine Godme rosé during a fishing and boating excursion in the Bahamas. Man was that stuff good! It works so well in the small Solo cups.
Charlie, hey pal....miss seeing you. Maybe I can get out to Florida this year and swing by.

We've not seen the Sabine Godme wines make it out this way yet, at least I don't recall them. Plenty of her brother's wine, Hugues Godme, which I have been drinking a lot of this year. Visited him last month in Verzenay, and his sister's place is just close by, right off D26. What'd you pay for her wines?

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#258 Post by Charlie Carnes » June 24th, 2018, 9:32 am

You have a open invitation my friend. Anytime!

I am around $41 a pop with discount. I'll look at my receipt to double check. The store is a hop, skip and jump from Alf's house in O-town.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#259 Post by Frank Murray III » June 24th, 2018, 9:37 am

Look for the Hugues Godme at some point and compare them. I do think soon (Brad Baker will know better) that the wines will be truly different, as Hugues will not have any hands in the production of Sabine's stuff anymore. This may have already occurred, but it of course depends on disgorge date and what your bottles are/will be.

Not been back to Orlando yet this year...maybe can find a legit reason to be down there again. Maybe you or Alfie can get out this way in 2018? I bet we could put together a blazer of an offline too.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#260 Post by Warren Taranow » June 24th, 2018, 12:14 pm

NV René Geoffroy Champagne Rosé de Saignée Brut 1er Cru. At $36 from Envoyer, this could have dethroned Dethune as my house rosé champagne had I bought more.

I found it a beautiful, savory vinous champagne. Full bodied; red pinot fruit and a lot of spicy, savory earthy notes. It paired equally well with my black cod as it did with a table-mate's steak.

If it comes up again at that price, it'll be an easy case purchase.
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

C Chen

#261 Post by C Chen » June 24th, 2018, 4:00 pm

Warren Taranow wrote:NV René Geoffroy Champagne Rosé de Saignée Brut 1er Cru. At $36 from Envoyer, this could have dethroned Dethune as my house rosé champagne had I bought more.

I found it a beautiful, savory vinous champagne. Full bodied; red pinot fruit and a lot of spicy, savory earthy notes. It paired equally well with my black cod as it did with a table-mate's steak.

If it comes up again at that price, it'll be an easy case purchase.
Damn. I need to try this.
curt1S ch3N

EHeffner

#262 Post by EHeffner » June 29th, 2018, 4:11 pm

NV Aubry Brut rose

TN: tasty. Would buy again.
Evan Heffner

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#263 Post by Frank Murray III » June 30th, 2018, 10:37 am

I opened one of my Jacquesson 736 DT earlier this week. I thought it got better with some air (am I allowed to say that?) and that it needed time in the glass. It shows the youth and stuffing of the vintage.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#264 Post by Merrill Lindquist » June 30th, 2018, 12:49 pm

EHeffner wrote:NV Aubry Brut rose

TN: tasty. Would buy again.
I like that one, too.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#265 Post by Merrill Lindquist » June 30th, 2018, 12:52 pm

Charlie Carnes wrote:Just drank a case of Sabine Godme rosé during a fishing and boating excursion in the Bahamas. Man was that stuff good! It works so well in the small Solo cups.
Oh Charlie, I hope you are kidding about the Solo cups! So you break a stem who cares?...plastic for good wine or Champagne? Never!
Merrill

Eric Sch

#266 Post by Eric Sch » June 30th, 2018, 5:43 pm

I drink a ton of Aubry, it's great stuff across the board. Just had a 2008 Aubry de Humbert on Thursday, and I really enjoy the Blanc des Blancs as well. There have been some really interesting single bottlings as well, like the 9899 Dualis.

Last night we drank a 2010 Moutard Cepage Arbane. Incredibly unique varietal bottling, unlike any other Champagne. Rich yellow fruit, a bit of pith, and stellar drive and length. Figured it would be very academic after several event nights in a row with lots of other things, including 98 Dom, 02 & 05 Taittinger CdC, Laherte Rose, Clouet 1911, Mignon Meunier, 84 Lauer sekt, etc.

Tough week champagne.gif
Scheffeln

ky1em!ttskus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#267 Post by ky1em!ttskus » June 30th, 2018, 6:36 pm

Eric, I have one of those 08s on deck. Sounds like it’s ready to rock?

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#268 Post by Warren Taranow » June 30th, 2018, 9:03 pm

1995 Charles Heidsieck Champagne Blanc des Millénaires; another great bottle.
Last edited by Warren Taranow on June 30th, 2018, 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#269 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » June 30th, 2018, 10:40 pm

2009 dom, amazing

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#270 Post by Charlie Carnes » July 1st, 2018, 3:53 am

Merrill Lindquist wrote:
Oh Charlie, I hope you are kidding about the Solo cups! So you break a stem who cares?...plastic for good wine or Champagne? Never!
We took three boats across, and basically stayed on them for three days straight. The only glass we brought were the Champagne and Rum bottles. But I say with surity, it's not so bad at all!

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#271 Post by Brian Tuite » July 1st, 2018, 6:29 am

Egly-Ouriet Rosé was damn delicious.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#272 Post by Frank Murray III » July 1st, 2018, 6:37 am

We did some Indian food last night and I elected to go with the Doquet again. These are from Envoyer and I really am digging this cuvee. Time to bug Scottie to offer more.
  • NV Pascal Doquet Champagne Premier Cru Arpège Blanc de Blancs - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru (7/1/2018)
    Dang, these are showing great. Each time I drink one of these I appreciate the value of this wine for $40. When I drank the bottle from last month, we were in Paris and as I look at the back label info, the wines are a bit different. From the bottle last night, disgorged Oct 2017, so almost a year and half later than the Paris bottle. The composition is from the same two base years-2010 and 2011-but with almost an even split this time (53/47). And last night's bottle was dosed less at 3.5 g/l versus the Paris bottle at 4.5 g/l. Fascinating to me that on a NV with the same vintage 'guts' that the winery would make these component shifts. Anyway, the energy and cut on last night's wine was excellent. Distinctive lemon, minerality and very refreshing. Between 4 of us, the bottle was gone in 20 mins. Time to bug Envoyer to find more of this as this stuff is excellent for the price.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#273 Post by Neal.Mollen » July 1st, 2018, 9:11 am

1996 Dom Ruinart on tap for tonight

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#274 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » July 1st, 2018, 9:39 am

The past ten days have included -

'99 Bruno Paillard Assemblage Mag - while not a great vintage, Paillard should have made a better Champagne in this year. Simplistic and fully mature even out of magnum. Good minus.

'82 Dom Perignon - probably my favorite vintage of DP post-1976. We'll see if '96, '02 or '08 can supplant it. Staggering minus.

'89 Cristal - flawed bottle. Skunky nose never blew off. Purchased soon after release so not sure what happened to it. NR

'89 Philipponnat Clos des Goisses - I really like Clos des Goisses although most vintages are very good but rarely ethereal. This was no exception. Excellent

'99 Cristal - Surprise of the week. A few more examples like this and it may jump ahead of CdC as my Champagne of the vintage. Staggering minus

'93 Dom Perignon - Decent Champagne, especially for the vintage, but DP should not have been made in 1993. Good

'02 Dom Ruinart - Still youthful but incredibly enjoyable. A steal in today's auction market. My favorite vintage of Dom Ruinart since the '70's. Excellent plus

'96 Krug - Continues to perform at a legendary level. Not much more to say. Staggering plus

'96 Dom Perignon
- Just starting to show some classic mature DP flavors. I didn't buy enough of this on release. Staggering minus

'90 Henriot Cuvee Enchanteleurs Mag - A Tete du Cuvee that rarely gets love. A delicious Champagne showing a wealth of fruit with a bit of smoke along with a mature flavor of caramel giving it good complexity. Staggering minus

Krug Grande Cuvee - disgorged Sept/Oct 2005. I was "forced" to buy more of this than I wanted because a few brokers bundled it with '96 Krug. Over the past couple of years, i've come to realize what a huge favor they did me. This is consistently the best disgorgement of Grande Cuvee that I've had since some of the ones from the '90's and earlier. Has decades of life left. Staggering plus

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#275 Post by Blake Brown » July 1st, 2018, 5:03 pm

Gotta love your high level of champagne Ray. Always appreciate the notes especially on those I'm familiar with such as the 99` Cristal which I have enjoyed beyond immensely, the 96` Krug which I still have 4 bottles of in waiting, 96` Dom which I have 3 remaining and the 02` Dom Ruinart which I have yet to sample out of 3.

Here's to drinking exceptionally well.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#276 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » July 1st, 2018, 7:27 pm

Thanks Blake.

I'll try to keep the notes/comments coming.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#277 Post by alan weinberg » July 1st, 2018, 9:39 pm

Ray—do you think the original 96 Dom release is as good as P2 or Oenoteque?

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#278 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » July 2nd, 2018, 9:00 am

alan weinberg wrote:Ray—do you think the original 96 Dom release is as good as P2 or Oenoteque?
Currently the later released '96 DP's are a bit brighter and fresher than the original release, but I like the evolution of the '96 original. And generally I find well-stored original DP's superior to Oeno's, P2's and P3's as they age. Not sure if it's because 8 or 9 years is the optimum time to disgorge most vintages of DP or that it's the difference in dosage or some other reason.

p@ulbortin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#279 Post by p@ulbortin » July 3rd, 2018, 1:29 pm

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
alan weinberg wrote:Ray—do you think the original 96 Dom release is as good as P2 or Oenoteque?
Currently the later released '96 DP's are a bit brighter and fresher than the original release, but I like the evolution of the '96 original. And generally I find well-stored original DP's superior to Oeno's, P2's and P3's as they age. Not sure if it's because 8 or 9 years is the optimum time to disgorge most vintages of DP or that it's the difference in dosage or some other reason.
Nice note and I totally agree. Just picked up a case of original release.

Andrew Christiansen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#280 Post by Andrew Christiansen » July 3rd, 2018, 9:21 pm

Frank Murray III wrote:I opened one of my Jacquesson 736 DT earlier this week. I thought it got better with some air (am I allowed to say that?) and that it needed time in the glass. It shows the youth and stuffing of the vintage.
Had the 740 twice...once in France last year and once here in OC last week. In both cases it improved overnight, and I loved the stuff. Sadly, in each case I was the only one drinking and couldn't/didn't finish the bottle (my Persian in-laws won't drink Champagne...why? because it's not RED wine...yes, I find it insane as well, but they just won't listen).
Last edited by Andrew Christiansen on July 3rd, 2018, 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#281 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » July 4th, 2018, 4:54 am

Had the first '04 DP last night out of the parcel we bought in London a few years ago. Champagne sourced in London has always been just a little fresher and younger in my experience, and I will continue to make my large purchases there. This bottle showed very young and "wine-y" (Jonathan's word) at first, but opened up into a very nice DP. Though I don't love the vintage as much as some people do, I still enjoy it very much and will be curious to see how it goes over coming years. I've had consistently good experiences, just no reason to expect mind blowing. That's fine with me. Not all vintages will blow your mind, and I don't limit myself to those that will.

Mike Hawkins

#282 Post by Mike Hawkins » July 6th, 2018, 3:26 am

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:The past ten days have included -

'90 Henriot Cuvee Enchanteleurs Mag - A Tete du Cuvee that rarely gets love. A delicious Champagne showing a wealth of fruit with a bit of smoke along with a mature flavor of caramel giving it good complexity. Staggering minus
Enchanteleurs are frequently outstanding with age. Perhaps the best Champagne I’ve ever had was the 1959 from magnum 2 years ago. The 1988 the same day wasn’t too far behind.

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#283 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » July 6th, 2018, 11:45 am

Mike Hawkins wrote:
R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:The past ten days have included -

Enchanteleurs are frequently outstanding with age. Perhaps the best Champagne I’ve ever had was the 1959 from magnum 2 years ago. The 1988 the same day wasn’t too far behind.
I'm a big fan of the '88 en magnum.

I opened a couple of '59 Enchanteleurs Vinotheque Mags about ten years ago. While solid I was expecting more based on Juhlin's reviews. I sold my last couple of mags shortly thereafter. Glad you enjoyed your mag significantly more. I assume it was a Vinotheque bottling?

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#284 Post by David Glasser » July 6th, 2018, 12:56 pm

I’m another fan of 1988 Henriot Enchanteleurs. Bought a bunch of mags on release. It’s our wedding year and they were a regular anniversary drink until we finally ran out a few years ago. Haven’t had an Enchanteleurs as good as the '88 since. Never had a '59.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#285 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » July 6th, 2018, 1:17 pm

Also love those '88 mags. Sadly, we only have '90 and '95 mags left.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#286 Post by Frank Murray III » July 8th, 2018, 9:29 am

• NV Champagne Godmé Sabine Champagne Grand Cru Brut Rosé - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (7/8/2018)
    This showed really well. Didn't get the back label specs but from what I recall, majority of PN and the rest Chard. 8 g/l dosage, which I thought was nicely integrated (akin to the brilliance of Vilmart's dosaging touch). Crisp, red fruited flavors and very refreshing to me. Enjoyed this a lot and thanks to the host, Mr Kennedy, for sourcing it for the afternoon, too.
  • NV Christophe Mignon Champagne Brut Nature - France, Champagne (7/8/2018)
    This started out lean and pretty austere but with air and some time to pick up some temperature, it fleshed out more with some red fruit qualities. However, it was surpassed by the Sabine Godme Rose that was opened next to it, as that bottle was emptied.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#287 Post by Neal.Mollen » July 8th, 2018, 9:39 am

We drank a Larmandier Bernier rose saignee last night and it was absolutely perfect for the occasion -- eating outdoors, on the patio at Billy Sud in Georgetown in the warm sunshine. Bone dry, cut and focused, minerally and strawberry infused. I wouldn't say it is my favorite rose at all, but I can't imagine one that would have performed better under these circumstances.

(Not my picture)

Eric Sch

#288 Post by Eric Sch » July 8th, 2018, 9:41 am

Nice FMIII, we are drinking a Mignon Brut with brunch today. Our group goes through a lot of it as we get some really good pricing from a local source, and we love Meunier!
Scheffeln

NoahR

#289 Post by NoahR » July 9th, 2018, 7:05 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:We drank a Larmandier Bernier rose saignee last night and it was absolutely perfect for the occasion -- eating outdoors, on the patio at Billy Sud in Georgetown in the warm sunshine. Bone dry, cut and focused, minerally and strawberry infused. I wouldn't say it is my favorite rose at all, but I can't imagine one that would have performed better under these circumstances.

(Not my picture)

Did you bring it or was it on their list?

Have only been there once since back when Jen Knowles ran their wine program. Food was lovely. Had still some nice wine selections.
Noah Raizman
Washington, DC

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#290 Post by Charlie Carnes » July 10th, 2018, 7:31 am

Frank Murray III wrote:
  • NV Champagne Godmé Sabine Champagne Grand Cru Brut Rosé - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (7/8/2018)
    This showed really well. Didn't get the back label specs but from what I recall, majority of PN and the rest Chard. 8 g/l dosage, which I thought was nicely integrated (akin to the brilliance of Vilmart's dosaging touch). Crisp, red fruited flavors and very refreshing to me. Enjoyed this a lot and thanks to the host, Mr Kennedy, for sourcing it for the afternoon, too.
  • NV Christophe Mignon Champagne Brut Nature - France, Champagne (7/8/2018)
    This started out lean and pretty austere but with air and some time to pick up some temperature, it fleshed out more with some red fruit qualities. However, it was surpassed by the Sabine Godme Rose that was opened next to it, as that bottle was emptied.
Nice on the sabine. Glad you got to try it!

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#291 Post by Merrill Lindquist » July 10th, 2018, 11:26 am

In the past few days: Dom Perignon 2009 and Comtes 2006. Both young; both joyous to drink. My latest scheme is to not pay money to dine out - it is so expensive! And a glass of a mid-level Champagne out is $22. I can drink top level stuff, and if I do say so myself, I can cook quite well, so...as I have often said to people: I can rationalize ANYTHING. Cook at home, drink the better stuff more regularly, and enjoy the views from my place while doing so.

I regularly share any of these with the gardener (great palate) and workmen (small sips) or neighbors at the end of their days. It is so fun to witness people enjoying some of the better stuff for their first time ever! Good wine or good Champagne does not need a practiced palate in order to be enjoyed. Sharing and teaching is fun.
Merrill

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#292 Post by Neal.Mollen » July 10th, 2018, 12:22 pm

NoahR wrote:
Neal.Mollen wrote:We drank a Larmandier Bernier rose saignee last night and it was absolutely perfect for the occasion -- eating outdoors, on the patio at Billy Sud in Georgetown in the warm sunshine. Bone dry, cut and focused, minerally and strawberry infused. I wouldn't say it is my favorite rose at all, but I can't imagine one that would have performed better under these circumstances.

(Not my picture)

Did you bring it or was it on their list?

Have only been there once since back when Jen Knowles ran their wine program. Food was lovely. Had still some nice wine selections.
we brought it. Shockingly, I don't think I even looked at their wine list!

Sarah Kirschbaum

#293 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » July 10th, 2018, 1:32 pm

Anyone have the 2010 Deutz Hommage a William Deutz yet? I did a main forum search, but didn't see anything, and there's not much in CT.

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#294 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » July 10th, 2018, 3:23 pm

Over July 4th and this past weekend

'95 Dom Perignon Jeroboam - disgorged 2006. In effect a large format DP that's an unlabeled Oenotheque. This has been drinking incredibly well since release and has not changed much over the past ten or so years. Classic smoky DP nose. Round and creamy on the palate. Yellow fruit with some acidity. I thought this would last the six of us until the third course; didn't make it to the first. Staggering minus

'64 Dom Perignon
- DOA

'64 Dom Perignon - Getting down to my last few bottles of this, but most bottles need to be drunk up as my current hit rate is about 60/40. My epiphany for "older" Champagne about twenty-five years ago, numerous bottles have delivered great pleasure since. When great examples like this are come across it almost makes those failures worth it. A touch of effervescence, caramel, coffee, marzipan and enough fruit to make it complete. Staggering Plus

'69 Dom Perignon
- Foil capsule but no other labeling to help discern the disgorgement date. Not sure when DP started putting "RD" on their labels but I assume this bottle was disgorged some time in the '80's. Still lively enough that I wouldn't consider this bottle fully mature. Much paler in color than the '64. Staggering

'64 H. Germaine - Not sure when or why I bought this, but unless it was in a mixed lot with some other gems, it was a mistake. DOA

'75 Irroy Cuvee Marie Antoinette - A shame this house didn't continue as it had in the past. I've had great Irroy's from the '20's through the 70's and this definitely was great. My last bottle and I don't think I've had it since I was at very high altitude in Colorado about ten years ago where its effervescence definitely was boosted. A good decision to open this as it definitely won't get any better. Great mature Champagne flavors. I'm afraid unknown Champagne gems like this may no longer exist. Staggering minus

'90 Pol Roger Jeroboam - Bought a number of these on release when they were almost free. Would be a great value for far more than I paid. A huge hit for the casual Champagne drinkers as well as those with more experience. Great pairing for my current go to food course which is a crab with chipotle mayo, avocado, tomato and corn tower with chives and basil oil. For me, not every Champagne needs to be aged for 40+ years, and this is a perfect example. Excellent plus.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#295 Post by Neal.Mollen » July 10th, 2018, 3:25 pm

I've got a mag of that Pol Roger and am planning on opening it in 2 weeks @ the beach

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#296 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » July 10th, 2018, 7:51 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:I've got a mag of that Pol Roger and am planning on opening it in 2 weeks @ the beach
I've unfortunately had a ridiculously high percentage of corked 1990 Pol Roger Mags. Hopefully you have a different batch of corks in your Mags.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#297 Post by Frank Murray III » July 16th, 2018, 8:42 pm

Drank bottle #15 last night, and over the past few years, have bought over 2 cases of this stuff. My wife and I did a night in Coronado yesterday and we had another good meal at Chez Loma. I brought the Dethune NV Rose with us and this bottle showed excellent. $40 for these, time to get more.
  • NV Paul Dethune Champagne Brut Rosé - France, Champagne (7/15/2018)
    Man, I love this stuff. This bottle, disgorged November 2015, drank with a real cut of acidity, alongside strawberry, raspberry and cherry. I finished the last glass as the wine had become mostly still it drinks with an energy that is really delicious. So good for $40 and down to my last bottle. Need to find another 6 more via Envoyer.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

ky1em!ttskus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#298 Post by ky1em!ttskus » July 17th, 2018, 6:25 pm

NV Vilmart Grand Reserve (dis. 9/15) with simple fish tacos.

Okay, okay; I get it. This stuff’s pretty good. ;)

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#299 Post by Frank Murray III » July 17th, 2018, 7:16 pm

ky1em!ttskus wrote:NV Vilmart Grand Reserve (dis. 9/15) with simple fish tacos.

Okay, okay; I get it. This stuff’s pretty good. ;)
You have just brushed the surface. Next is the Grand Cellier d'Or and the Coeur de Cuvee. Then, you will have caught the complete Vilmart bug.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Brad Baker

#300 Post by Brad Baker » July 17th, 2018, 7:31 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:Anyone have the 2010 Deutz Hommage a William Deutz yet? I did a main forum search, but didn't see anything, and there's not much in CT.
Sarah,

Overall a nice first release from a vintage that was difficult. It will be interesting to follow this wine series in the future as it will more often than not be a series of single vineyards in the better vintages though they will still do some lesser vintages as a blend when the blending bug hits.

2010 Hommage à William Deutz Parcelles d'Aÿ
(100% Pinot Noir; 52% de Meutret and 48% Côte Glacière vineyards in Aÿ; Stainless steel; Malolactic fermentation; Disgorged early 2017; ~ 6,000 bottles produced; $85-115 US)
This is the debut of a new series of wines from Deutz meant to showcase their historic holdings. For the 2010 debut, the wine is a blend of two key Aÿ vineyards although in the future (including the next release from the 2012), the focus is normally going to be more on single vineyard expressions. Red apple, raspberry, and blueberry highlight a deep and dense nose. Blueberry really carries through to the palate and picks up a nice tartness. This is a big bodied wine as you could expect from the vintage, but manages to have a beautiful purity and finesse. I guess you could say this wine is a sexy model that has all the right curves in all the right places. As it warms up, touches of biscuit dough come out and cranberry comes highlights the finish. Extremely enjoyable and well made. A great debut for the Hommage series and I cannot wait to see what future releases bring.
(86-88) pts
Brad Baker
The Champagne Warrior

Return to “Wine Talk”