Which Champagne are you drinking?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Which Champagne are you drinking?

#2001 Post by Blake Brown »

Extracted from a thread to be posted in a few days re a dinner at LA`s Providence:

2004 LAURENT-PERRIER CUVEE ALEXANDRA BRUT ROSE In magnum- this is the 8th release since it’s first introduction in 1982; it has only been made in years when both Chardonnay and Pinot Noir reach maturity simultaneously and is comprised of 100% Grand Cru fruit with 80% Pinot Noir and 20% Chardonnay added during the Pinot Noir maceration; the fruit is sourced from some of the most prestigious Crus such as Ambonnay, Bouzy, Verzenay for the Pinot Noir and Avize, Cramant and Le Mesnil-sur-Oger for the Chardonnay; it’s released from the cellars after 10 years of aging; the color was a dark red salmon and the nose and taste included nice fresh strawberry and red cherry with a bit of citrus, minerals, earth and spice; it was light and easy on the palate with a frothy feel good mousse and yet rich and full bodied providing enough substance and weight to enhance the experience.

Cheers,
Blake
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2002 Post by Jayson Cohen »

Vilmart Grand Cellier, July 2018 disg., is rocking. Melon and citrus-tinged white chocolate on the nose and just an explosion in the mouth of creamy lemony goodness. This was from the Skurnik preorder release late last year.

A1ex H

#2003 Post by A1ex H »

Blake Brown wrote: April 5th, 2021, 8:26 am
A1ex H wrote: April 4th, 2021, 6:19 pm Blake, thanks for the note. What's drinking better right now in your experience, the 2004 or 2009 Cristal? Need to take home some Cristal from storage and was wondering what vintage is drinking better now.
No doubt in my mind Alex, the 09` by a wide margin.
Great, thank you Blake!
H@ns£n

AD Northup
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2004 Post by AD Northup »

MSemler wrote: March 24th, 2021, 6:05 pm
AD Northup wrote: March 24th, 2021, 5:58 pm
  • 2018 Jérôme Prévost Champagne La Closerie Extra Brut Esperluette - France, Champagne (3/24/2021)
    Pours with a slight pink, bordering on rose color. This is insanely good from pop and pour. Loads of ripe delicious berry goodness, super sweet bruised red apple, perfect tension with the acid. The finish stays with you for over a minute. This is beautiful, will be getting more.

A few hours in and it’s a bomb of tropical fruit flavors. This is a really good wine.
Posted from CellarTracker
Sounds fantastic! Have been trying to get my hands on Esperluette to no avail - any rec of a potential source?
They had it on Sommpicks this afternoon for a few minutes, but went very quickly...may mean there's more coming in though
A n d r e w N o r t h u p

2021 WOTY Candidates:
1995 Charles Heidsieck Champagne Blanc des Millénaires

2020 WOTY:
2015 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Noirs La Presle (first RdJ)

2019 WOTY:
2005 Faja dos Padres Malvasia

Dennis Atick
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2005 Post by Dennis Atick »

Last night: 2014 Rémi Leroy Champagne Blanc de Blancs
Prefer the 2013 from recent consumption, but 14 is a good sparkler showing very lean right now.
Reasonably priced at $45.
I'm a find of Remi's wines, in general.
@decaturwinedude

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2006 Post by Blake Brown »

I've posted quite a few notes on previous bottles, most of which were from an initial purchase of 2 6-packs I picked up after tasting a bottle and learning that the fruit put in to Salon was used here as no 2012 Salon wold be made. I believe that is still true although it is dumbfounding to me as the vintage is really good, if not spectacular. Their reserves have to be super embellished with 12` in them.

I've had friends buy some on my recommendation and when I tasted theirs, it seemed like a different batch having just a little less of everything. Considering travel shock and other possible influences, I tasted again and then once again and still came up with similar conclusions. There's more than one version. How can that be?

So, having drank most of the original stash, I ordered another 6 pack from a different source and lo and behold, it's the stellar bubbly I`ve experienced and hoped for:

2012 DELAMOTTE BLANC de BLANC MILLESIME BRUT- served in Sophienwald Grand Cru champagne glasses as seen in the background; 60% of the fruit sources for this comes from les Mesnil-sur-Oger, Ovize and Oger with 20% equal parts from each and the remainder of the fruit comes from Cramant, Chouilly and Oiry; as with previous bottles I've had, it is spectacular, having such an inviting nose of fragrant yellow roses and stone fruit which on the palate more specifically included peach, apricot, pear, Golden Delicious apple and lemon; it had a wondrous creamy, honey like mouthfeel which served to enhanced the long, satisfying finish; this is marvelous bubbly now and has all of the structure to be great in the years to come.

Cheers,
Blake
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2007 Post by Warren Taranow »

‘04 Comtes keeps getting better.
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

MSemler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2008 Post by MSemler »

Laherte Freres Les 7 (2005-2014 solera, disg. 2017)

[thumbs-up.gif]
M@x

MattG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2009 Post by MattG »

Jacquesson 741. Disgorged March 2018, dosage 2.5gr/l

Initial taste is toasted, yeasty, but that quickly smoothes out to crisp and tart fruit. No sweetness here. There’s a pleasant lingering flavor of crisp fruit that lasts. I don’t taste deep dimensions to the flavor. It drinks consistently with that crisp and tart fruit. Not much minerality. Would be delicious with cheeses, but not what I’d reach for with shellfish. I like this.
E2EBFD10-CD85-4858-8E61-744641438FDA.jpeg
G@|’$1n

Return to “Wine Talk”