#201 Post by Mike Hawkins » May 9th, 2018, 4:41 pm

Too much malic acid for my tastes Alan

Er€z _ L.
GCC Member
GCC Member

Which Champagne are you drinking?

#202 Post by Er€z _ L. » May 10th, 2018, 6:51 am

Monday was a semi spontaneous bubbly tasting. by no specific order
  • 1996 Billecart-Salmon Champagne Grande Cuvée - France, Champagne (5/7/2018)
    I think it is an excellent example of well aged champagne that carries the balance of the floral, palate, minerals, finish and bubbles. All in well matched to a great full course meal. Can still age more in good storage. One of the longest champagne finishes I had on floral, little honey, citrus and orange I had for a while. Truly enjoyable. First of seven bottles to run out during the dinner. Became part of my four-way problem (aka- which wine to 'park' on?)

(Fair disclosure, came from my cellar) (95 pts.)
  • 1980 Pommery Champagne Cuvée Louise Brut - France, Champagne (5/7/2018)
    It was a well fit in the line of aging champagnes (this was the oldest one)- the color scale literally put the wine in the golden/dark gold yellow color. Very nice apple and floral on the nose. More minerals and secondary tastes as I would expect from older champagne. Some claimed that the palate was over dominated by apples, but imho it was in a very good balance. Reminded me a bit of a nice balanced cognac, but with a lot of add on- the floral of the champagne, the flowers, dry fruits (some nuts/almonds?), and citrus tasting.
    Still some nice bubbles (though after two hours in the glass there were very little bubbles compared to others in line)

Overall, if you like your champagne (or still wines) with age it is a very good selection, at an excellent drinking point. Would it get much better? I do not know. Some tasters claimed it is a bit over the peak. Others claimed it is at peak but will not get better. One claimed it is not for her palate, fwiw. All opinions are legitimate.

My take- have two? try one (That's what we did). Have three? send me one :-)

[postscript- 24 hours later, I had the last sip (left overnight in 37-40); very light bubbles, but still abit there. Somewhat longer finish. Still darker gold color. Pure pleasure] (94 pts.)
  • 2004 Taittinger Champagne Brut Blanc de Blancs Comtes de Champagne - France, Champagne (5/7/2018)
    It was a nice treat, indeed. An older version slightly of the '06, Very nice orange floral on the nose and palate. Great citrus. It basically feels like the '06 with more age on it, though they are only two years apart. My notes on this one were somewhat limited. But, as I looked at BB notes, I agree with most of them (not all) on this one.
    Color wise, it worked well, brighter than the BS '96, darker than the initial. Worth drinking one now, and revisiting in few years again. (94 pts.)
  • NV Jacques Selosse Champagne Initial - France, Champagne (5/7/2018)
    I enjoyed this one alot (02-2013 dis) and I think it falls in line with the selosse palate line I recall from previous tastings. Color wise, it fell well (bright yellow/gold) on the color scheme by age of four different champagnes. It was an enjoyable visual. Floral wise, it had the pears and flowers on the nose (could not detect them all, was slightly under the weather). Nice spices on the palate, along with a good balance of the minerals. Very little/gentle oak. The wine opened up over the course of the evening. Drank better after 2 hours or so.
    A good addition to a line up of aging champagnes. No rush to drink it, but its already great.

(92+ to 93) (92 pts.)
  • 2012 Vilmart & Cie Champagne Premier Cru Grand Cellier d'Or - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru (5/7/2018)
    Just released, just tasted :-)
    Very good VC selection, with great aging potential, but still very young,. I would defer to drinking it on a later date. Great citrus/floral on nose, but it is still over dominated by the lemon/citrus/green apple tastes on palate. It took about 2 hours to balance out and let the wine express its floral in full. I would serve it with appetizers on a nice summer day so far, and with a full course meal in six-seven years when it matures more. (91 pts.)
£ € n c n @ r

Mary Deem

#203 Post by Mary Deem » May 15th, 2018, 8:57 pm

Val Frison Goustan Blanc de Noirs Brut Nature R13, disgorged December 2015 - Yes, yet another bottle. My excuse is I ended up in the ER last night , poked my eye on a blackberry bush (yes ..I was sober). I just grabbed something familiar to sip.

Loads of Pinot Noir fruit, just ripe red delicous apples, wonderful tart element that really sets this apart, in a good way.

Food pairings: ummm....help me pair some food with this. This wine seems to make a lot of savory things taste slightly 'sweet'...hope this makes sense. Feel free to PM me so as not to derail this thread.

jbray23

#204 Post by jbray23 » May 15th, 2018, 9:26 pm

Mary Deem wrote:Val Frison Goustan Blanc de Noirs Brut Nature R13, disgorged December 2015 - Yes, yet another bottle. My excuse is I ended up in the ER last night , poked my eye on a blackberry bush (yes ..I was sober). I just grabbed something familiar to sip.

Loads of Pinot Noir fruit, just ripe red delicous apples, wonderful tart element that really sets this apart, in a good way.

Food pairings: ummm....help me pair some food with this. This wine seems to make a lot of savory things taste slightly 'sweet'...hope this makes sense. Feel free to PM me so as not to derail this thread.
How many of these do you have?

I ran into 2 bottles of these with 2 bottles of the demarne frison Lalore on close out for $20 per, I had forgotten how much I love this producer, too bad they got divorced..
Jason, back itb

Mary Deem

#205 Post by Mary Deem » May 15th, 2018, 9:41 pm

I have 2 more bottles, plus a bottle of Portlandia...bot to mention the two I consumed. I got all of them from Sec Wines. Only my piddly budget prevents me from getting more at a time...but hey, more for everyone else ;)

Sounds like a heck of a steal on the Lalore..especially since they are now about three times that!

I would love to get my paws on some Demarne-Frison..just to compare. I have heard great things about it....too bad the team behind it has split.

jbray23

#206 Post by jbray23 » May 15th, 2018, 9:59 pm

The old distributor I worked for piggybacked demarne frison from a distributor in Portland (I'm in Seattle) so have drunk a bit of demarne frison in my life, the wines are aging very well and delicious. Long story short we no longer have access to Frison and getting it into our market is going to be near impossible, guess I gotta drive down and buy some.
Jason, back itb

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#207 Post by Warren Taranow » May 16th, 2018, 6:39 am

alan weinberg wrote:anyone drink Lanson? Just got 2 b of the 2006. No experience.
Which Lanson? I've drunk cases of the 2000 Noble Cuvée, which punched well above it's price point and vintage. I haven't tried the 2006; my last 2002 wasn't on the level of the 2000, or perhaps it needed more time.

Here's a link to some old threads.

Cheers,
Warren
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#208 Post by Blake Brown » May 16th, 2018, 12:08 pm

2004 Cristal with you Steve on 5/30
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Mary Deem

#209 Post by Mary Deem » May 16th, 2018, 1:46 pm

Ouch, what a transition from regularily quaffing Demarne-Frison to having none locally. If it is any consolation, my semi local chain store will get some thing really good like Egly-Oriet, Marie Courtin, or Chartogne-Taillet for a year or so...then stop with no reason. The main store just randomly sends our store whatever they feel like, with no heads up to boot. The only regular offerings are Krug and Drappier. Heartbreaking to think that I've a steady flow of some good grower stuff..then have it dry up a year later ;)

Sounds like I wil have to seek out some older bottlings of Demarne-Frison.

Steve Nordhoff
GCC Member
GCC Member

#210 Post by Steve Nordhoff » May 20th, 2018, 7:43 am

Blake Brown wrote:2004 Cristal with you Steve on 5/30
champagne.gif champagne.gif champagne.gif
ITB -Riverain Vineyards

m. ristev

#211 Post by m. ristev » May 20th, 2018, 8:08 am

had two bottles of the 13 base ruppert leroy 11-12-13 this week. the nose is really reminiscent of the guillaume selosse au dessus du gros mont, however the palate is rather simple and finish is definitely on the short side. a perfectly good drink, but it is a shame the palate doesn't live up to the awesome nose. still, well worth the $34. i think future releases of this wine will undoubtedly improve as they add to the solera.
mајкл

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#212 Post by Warren Taranow » May 20th, 2018, 9:20 am

Last night, we followed an '06 Taittinger Comte (which needs no TN; I've gushed about this one enough) with a 2002 Philliponnat 1522 Rosé. It was a great contrast to the BdB, showing dense pinot red fruit and a little cotton candy confection (in a good way). The hue was so subtle it didn't look like a Rosé in the amply lit restaurant. Lovely wine, and one I'll seek in the future.

Cheers,
Warren
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

Mary Deem

#213 Post by Mary Deem » May 20th, 2018, 2:14 pm

1990 René Collard "Brut Cuvée Reserve" Brut Champagne - Bought at auction and inirially stored in less than ideal conditions before coming my way. Cork was shrivelled and practically slid out when opened. Maidera notes which blew off afer vigerous swirling in the glass, bruised golden apples, dried apple, salt, and a tart apple akin note. Each glass would start out maiderized but with vigerous swilring and time, the wine would come back to life. Obviously a bottle that did not fare well due to crummy storage, but even so some life to be found. This proves my theory that you can't kill Collard wines.

Vouette et Sorbée Champagne Fidèle R14 Loads of pinot noir fruit & skins. After drinking Val-Frison Gouston, this seems more opulant and rich, whereas the Val-Frison is more tart, pinot noir essence. I would love to drink the two side by side sometime. Wonderful rich pinot fruit with saline and zesty backbone.

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#214 Post by Jay $$ Winton » May 21st, 2018, 7:17 am

Anyone had the 2008 Taittinger lately?
Immaturity-my life, not my wine.

Mary Deem

#215 Post by Mary Deem » May 22nd, 2018, 12:09 pm

The great Taste-Off between:

Vouette et Sorbée Fidèle R14, disgorged 5/1/2014
Val-Frison Goustan R13, disgorged 12/2015

Not really a proper comparison given the different vintages...but a great way to compare two smilar yet different wines. At firs the Fidèle seened alittle mute but then openned up....riper, fuller.like a juicy red delicous apple plus ripe pniot noit & great salinity. The Goustan is more one dimensional (in a good way), deep red pinot noir fruit, tart grape skins, & salt. Over time in the glass, the Fidèle gets even more salinity & acid while the goustan picks up more sweetness. My husband asked if me if 'something was wrong' because I was drinking two bottles of wine at once ;) Normally I am a one bottle a weekend kinda gal..so I had him worried.

These are quickly becoming my favorite Champagne in the era AC (After Collard).

edited to add in more notes.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#216 Post by Neal.Mollen » May 22nd, 2018, 12:15 pm

The Fidèle is a very distinctive wine. I love it.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#217 Post by J a y H a c k » May 22nd, 2018, 12:21 pm

2006 Comtes. Last night. Decanted it! Very nice. Balanced. A bit of brioche but not a lot, lemon curd mixed in.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

Mary Deem

#218 Post by Mary Deem » May 22nd, 2018, 2:40 pm

Neal - So glad to hear some Fidèle love. Sometimes I fear that it gets overlooked by the Blanc d'Argile and other wines in Gautherot's line up.

Taittinger Comtes....I keep hearing so much about this wine...I just gotta breakdown and buy a botle some time.

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#219 Post by David Glasser » May 22nd, 2018, 6:05 pm

alan weinberg wrote:for me, 88 Krug and 96 Salon are "best
ever," though I don't have Ray's breadth or depth of experience.
This still holds for me. A recent 88 Krug was still kicking ass. Great complexity with no signs of fading.

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#220 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » May 27th, 2018, 10:41 pm

Krug 2008 base (164) from 375

Drinking beautifully, better than the last bottle I opened. Lovely brioche, rich, zingy acidity, and more integrated finish.

Andrew Christiansen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#221 Post by Andrew Christiansen » May 28th, 2018, 10:13 am

Steve Nordhoff wrote:
I'll definitely be on time for once!

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#222 Post by Blake Brown » May 28th, 2018, 10:34 am

Andrew Christiansen wrote:
Steve Nordhoff wrote:
I'll definitely be on time for once!
Great to know you will be there Andrew. Since this will probably be the first thing going around, punctuality is prudent.
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#223 Post by Todd F r e n c h » May 28th, 2018, 11:42 am

Had two bottles of NV Pascal Doquet 'Diapason' Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs Brut last night - was fantastic. Looking around to find some more (purchased originally at Hi-Time last year) and only one retailer in the US listed on Wine-Searcher.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#224 Post by Jay $$ Winton » May 29th, 2018, 7:13 am

2008 Taittinger brut this weekend. Young with chardonnay flavors predominating. Very good now and will improve a lot I think.
Immaturity-my life, not my wine.

Mary Deem

#225 Post by Mary Deem » May 29th, 2018, 3:03 pm

Yves Ruffin Extra Brut Premier Cru roughly 80% Chardonnay 20% pinot noir, dosage 4 g/l. Aged in Acacia wood foudres & barrels. Juicey green apples, hint of tart apple skins, spice, & great salinety. The acacia wood influence is not as intrusive as oak, but still gives it a wonderful depth & a little spice/bite. This is both ethereal and profound.

-edited to add disgorgement date of 4/15/16 - Thanks Frank - reading your post reminded me that I had neglected this in my original post.

I drank this over three days. The third day, the fruit seemed a tad riper at first, some golden apples in the mix. After a bit, the ripeness dimished & this became as fresh as day one.

Normally I have a love/hate relationship with young chardonnay dominant Champagne but I adore this wine. It is bought in by Vinotas Selections (a big thank you). You can find Ruffin's website at: http://www.champagneyvesruffin.fr/#

The Brut is fabelous too...harder to find this year.
Last edited by Mary Deem on May 29th, 2018, 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#226 Post by Frank Murray III » May 29th, 2018, 5:43 pm

We drank a couple yesterday, which I had brought back with me from Champagne. Both showed well, I think on this day I liked the Miniere a little bit better. Oh, and the Lanson, that drank so fresh for a 2000, it is aging beautifully.
  • 2000 Lanson Champagne Noble Cuvée Blanc de Blancs - France, Champagne (5/29/2018)
    This drank super. FWIW, and I cannot decode the back label data easily, this is what I jotted down: L6/S3991 D2 12/2015. At 18 years old, this is fresh, with honey, lime and generous quality of fruit. This reminded me a lot of Vilmart, where the richness comes through yet it's not sweet. Delicious stuff.
  • NV Minière F & R Champagne Brut Zéro - France, Champagne (5/29/2018)
    This is one of the bottles I brought back from Hermonville that I purchased at Miniere. Disgorged 03/2017 with 80% from 2010 and 20% from 2009. The wine is made up of PN, PM and Chard, 28%, 45% and 27%, respectively. This showed crisp, really precise with green apple and saline. This bottle was electric in tone and I suspect it won't be for those who are liking for higher dosage. This is 0 dosage and given that it is made up of mostly 8 year old wine, it shows still with a young, fresh, vibrant quality.
  • NV Moussé Fils Champagne l'Extra Or d'Eugène Blanc de Noirs Extra Brut - France, Champagne (5/29/2018)
    This showed like the recent bottle we tasted at the winery in Cuisles on our recent trip. Disgorged 6/2017, using the solera that dates back to 2003. 1 g/l dosage. Black cherry, lemon, a little bread dough and zesty with a light stoniness. The red fruit really comes through.
Posted from CellarTracker
My WOTY candidates for 2019:
2014 Marie Courtin Eloquence BdB Extra Brut
2017 Rivers-Marie PN Platt SC
2017 Kutch Pinot Noir SC PN
2009 Roederer Cristal Brut
2017 Carlisle Zin Mancini Ranch RRV

My best wines of 2018:
2017 Kutch Falstaff Sonoma Coast PN
2012 Marguet La Grande Ruelle Ambonnay

Kindness matters.

Mary Deem

#227 Post by Mary Deem » May 29th, 2018, 6:24 pm

Minière is another producer that is completely new to me. The Brut Zéro sounds right up my alley.

I have only had Moussé's Terre d'Illite Blanc de Noirs (pinot meunier) which was amazing...very intense and 'earthy' (in a good way) expression of meunier. Sounds like I need to the l'Extra Or d'Eugène next.

Edited to note your observations on the l'Extra Or d'Eugène from your visit. I hope they lower the dosage....in the meantime my wine guy carries this so I might grab a bottle soon.
Last edited by Mary Deem on May 29th, 2018, 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#228 Post by Blake Brown » May 29th, 2018, 6:59 pm

Very nice Frank. Have not had any of these, but will seek them out.
Napolean Bonaparte

dr0ch

#229 Post by dr0ch » June 3rd, 2018, 3:14 pm

2002 Bollinger RD - extremely good.
2002 Dom Ruinart BdB (dark label) - average, although may have suffered a lot being served right after the RD.
-Devin

EHeffner

#230 Post by EHeffner » June 3rd, 2018, 6:19 pm

Decided to take the next 4 weeks off from drinking beginning tomorrow but popped a bottle of Bereche Brut reserve NV tonight before my hiatus. My first taste of bereche and impressed. Disgorgement date 1/2017. Plenty of green apple. Very refreshing and tasty. Have one more bottle from same batch so excited to see the difference a year from now
E v @ n

Ian Fitzsimmons

#231 Post by Ian Fitzsimmons » June 5th, 2018, 11:28 am

Mary Deem wrote:1990 René Collard "Brut Cuvée Reserve" Brut Champagne - Bought at auction and inirially stored in less than ideal conditions before coming my way. Cork was shrivelled and practically slid out when opened. Maidera notes which blew off afer vigerous swirling in the glass, bruised golden apples, dried apple, salt, and a tart apple akin note. Each glass would start out maiderized but with vigerous swilring and time, the wine would come back to life. Obviously a bottle that did not fare well due to crummy storage, but even so some life to be found. This proves my theory that you can't kill Collard wines.

Vouette et Sorbée Champagne Fidèle R14 Loads of pinot noir fruit & skins. After drinking Val-Frison Gouston, this seems more opulant and rich, whereas the Val-Frison is more tart, pinot noir essence. I would love to drink the two side by side sometime. Wonderful rich pinot fruit with saline and zesty backbone.
Opened a bottle of the Fidéle this weekend. I'm better with textures than flavor/aroma descriptors, and found it austere but pleasantly voluminous, with discrete complexity. Not the showiest Champagne, but a good bottle and worth revisiting. I may splash out on the blanc de blancs next.

m. ristev wrote:bulles de comptoir #4 is quite impressive
I had a bottle of the pinot noir version last year and thought it was punishingly dry, way beyond austere, barely drinkable without food. An interesting Champagne. The Pinot Blanc version was dry, but less totally sere, while still extremely dry, but showed some detail and charm with lengthy exposure to air; it was also interesting because of the novelty of the base grape variety.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#232 Post by Frank Murray III » June 6th, 2018, 4:43 pm

My wife and I worked through very quickly another 375 of the Godme NV Rose last night. Dang this is a terrific champagne, for the acidity, freshness and the briskness in how it drinks. I got one 375 left and now wish looking back I would have grabbed a full case of these when I had the chance.
  • NV Hugues Godmé Champagne Grand Cru Rosé - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (6/6/2018)
    From 375 with a light weeknight dinner. I really have get more of these, as they are just the right quantity for my wife and I to enjoy and finish through the meal. 65 PN, 35 Chard @ 6 g/l. Peach colored, cherry, green apple, citrus and brisk enough to be refreshing but not taut. I continue to enjoy this Godme Rose.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#233 Post by Merrill Lindquist » June 6th, 2018, 4:56 pm

Well, I asked my Champagne enabler to pull a mixed case at a cost of $50/bottle or under. One of the recent deliveries included a Chapel Down very bright rose made in Tenterden, England. Quite sweet...not my thing. This is the first real miss out of dozens of bottles, but, um, no thank you.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Sarah Kirschbaum

#234 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » June 6th, 2018, 4:58 pm

Some fun NV bottles over the last couple of weeks on vacation/with friends:

NV Selosse Initial x 2 - totally different showings
NV Selosse Rose
NV Egly-Ouriet Blanc de Noirs VV
NV Egly-Ouriet rose - 2 bottles side by side of '08 and '17 disgorgements
NV Ulysse Colin BdB Les Enfers
NV Diebolt Vallois Prestige magnum

Also NV Delamotte in the lounge before our flight to Spain

m. ristev

#235 Post by m. ristev » June 6th, 2018, 6:20 pm

^how was the les enfers? better than les roises?
m. ristev wrote:bulles de comptoir #4 is quite impressive
I had a bottle of the pinot noir version last year and thought it was punishingly dry, way beyond austere, barely drinkable without food. An interesting Champagne. The Pinot Blanc version was dry, but less totally sere, while still extremely dry, but showed some detail and charm with lengthy exposure to air; it was also interesting because of the novelty of the base grape variety.
those are single vintage wines he made a while back and aged. i agree they are not great, also quite variable. the newest releases that are multi vintage are fantastic. he has really improved the wine making quite a bit it seems judging from the results.
mајкл

Sarah Kirschbaum

#236 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » June 7th, 2018, 3:54 am

m. ristev wrote:^how was the les enfers? better than les roises?.
It was a lovely bottle of champagne showing bright red fruits and a broad mid palate. I enjoyed it, but no need to rush out and buy any. It's not a producer I follow or drink regularly, so I can't compare it to any of his other wines, sorry.

Steve Nordhoff
GCC Member
GCC Member

#237 Post by Steve Nordhoff » June 7th, 2018, 3:00 pm

The Vilmart love continues

1996 Cuvee Creation - A 96 Coeur was a bit oxidized recently, but this was quite fresh. Deep yellow fruits, long finish, medium bubbles. Excellent.

2000 Cuvee Creation - Really fresh, more so than the 96 above and the best of a recent batch. Bright yellow fruits, some plum and great acid. Wonderful.

1998 Coeur de Cuvee - Also very fresh, all of the Vilmart 98s recently have shown very well. A bit more laser like than the Creation, but still some barrell richness and orchard fruit. Should last a while.

2004 Coeur de Cuvee- next to an 04 Cristal, tough company. The wines were very different. The Cristal had more concentration and was a bit fresher, but the Vilmart had beautifully acidity and length. Edge to the Cristal, but not by much.
ITB -Riverain Vineyards

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#238 Post by brigcampbell » June 7th, 2018, 5:13 pm

Not drinking quite like Steve but...
  • NV Gardet Champagne Brut Réserve Chigny-lès-Roses - France, Champagne (6/7/2018)
    Very nice value here. Won't knock you socks off but it has all the pieces. Light gold color. There's a light rye bread and must aroma, interesting. Lemon rind and a big blast of citrus flavors. Medium weight and good complexity. Very long finish, excellent. There's also a light honeycomb note. Good stuff for the money.
  • NV Jacquesson & Fils Champagne Cuvée No. 740 - France, Champagne (6/7/2018)
    Red apple aromas and a whiff of cinnamon which disappeared soon after. Palate is lemon and lots of green apple. Sweet note of agave syrup yet very angular. Salty finish with medium plus acidity. This is right in the wheelhouse of the low dosage fan club which I'm a member.

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#239 Post by David Glasser » June 7th, 2018, 9:10 pm

1998 and 2002 Taittinger Comtes. The 98 was showing nice complex maturity with lots of bready notes and a hint of nuttiness. The 02 had a bit of sulfur on opening but once that blew off the wine showed a nice mix of lemony citrus, apple and fresh bread. A little tight at first but opened up within 30 minutes to be a bigger, more complete wine. Drinks a lot younger than the 4 years between them would suggest.

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#240 Post by Greg K » June 7th, 2018, 10:53 pm

Had the 2006 Comtes with omakase tonight. Upon being opened was a bit "wide" so to speak with some buttery notes, but that faded quickly and it reverted to the usual precision with some lovely bread and brioche notes. Every time I have the '06 I wish I had more of it.
Greg Kahn

Mary Deem

#241 Post by Mary Deem » June 8th, 2018, 2:26 pm

Ian - I find some bottles Vouette et Sorbée Fidèle can be reticent at first, then open up, becoming tremendous. Other bottles have a big presence from the first sip.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#242 Post by Frank Murray III » June 8th, 2018, 5:33 pm

Well, if Brig is gonna put his TNs up, I'll give him a hand, as we drank the same bottles. Brig, thanks for bringing that Chigny, as now I can say that I have had something from the village. Poor Chigny, though, as Vilmart is right next door to the west, and they're the big dog on that part of D26, fo sho.
  • NV Gardet Champagne Brut Réserve Chigny-lès-Roses - France, Champagne (6/7/2018)
    Was just in Champagne a few weeks ago and stayed in Rilly, which is the village directly west of Chigny. As we drove through Chigny several times, I wondered what houses might make it to the US West Coast and I guess I have my answer now. It was cool to see this bottle show up on the table, as it made sense now from a site standpoint where the fruit was originating. We drank this next to the Jacquesson 740, which was superior to me; however, the pursuit last night was not to declare a winner of the pair, only to enjoy them both so my comment is just to provide some context. Made with equal parts Chard, Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier. I perceived the dosage here, and when tasted next to the 740, the dosage expression is distinctly sweeter in this Gardet. Caramel nose, which I suspect is some influence from the oak this is raised in. The acidity comes across as both tangerine/citrus and sweetish lemon-lime, with the influence of the Pinot fruits giving the wine a black cherry/raspberry fruited quality, too. I thought this wine got better with air but overall was on the sweeter side for my low to no dosage preferring palate.
  • NV Jacquesson & Fils Champagne Cuvée No. 740 - France, Champagne (6/7/2018)
    Interesting, in that this bottle was disgorged a month later (04/2017) than the bottle I just recently had back in January. I guess they did several disgorgements, well at least two, close together? Not sure how many other times the 740 will go through this.....anyway, this one is dosed at 1.5 g/l, like the other bottle and that makes sense. FWIW, the blend on the cuvee is usually 60% Chard, 20% PM and 20% PN, although it is not easy to find this info and it's not listed on the back label. Last night's bottle showed excellent with lemon peel, saline/salty, green apple skin and touch of honey and when it was poured cooler, exhibited a splash of tonic water in the finish. It did richen up when it warmed, became less chiseled and added more honey and yellow apple. In this bottle, I didn't find any imprint of the Noir fruit, with this one imprinting a very Chard-like dominance.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#243 Post by Frank Murray III » June 10th, 2018, 7:45 am

My wife's business partner did his annual champagne event yesterday afternoon. The past 2 years he did big house stuff so this year, as he too has been getting into some new stuff as have I, he decided to grower-producer stuff (aside from the CdC, which he pulled on impulse to add during the end of the event). It was a terrific afternoon. Marguet shines again.
  • 2006 Taittinger Champagne Brut Blanc de Blancs Comtes de Champagne - France, Champagne (6/10/2018)
    This bottle showed a toasty/smoky aromatic. Lemon, lime, custardy and while there is acidity here, I found this bottle too rich for my liking. Whether there is bottle variation or my palate is continuing to shift to the lower register in my real joy for wines like that of Marguet or Marie-Courtin, etc, I am liking this CdC less and less.
  • 2009 Pierre Gimonnet & Fils Champagne Premier Cru Blanc de Blancs Brut Fleuron - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru (6/10/2018)
    From Mag. Very little back label info about the bottle, too. Salty, lemon with a cool spicy/custardy note, along with apple buried underneath all of the lovely texture. Finishes with saline, lemon, tangerine in the finish. I've cooled off on my passion recently for Gimmonet but this bottle revealed something to me that I had missed before about their range. Very good.
  • 2012 Marguet Père et Fils Champagne Grand Cru Rosé Ambonnay - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (6/10/2018)
    Drank one of these last month, amongst many bottles and so I wonder if my palate got lost on that evening. So, last night we got another open and this one, like the 2012 La Grand Ruelle that we also had last night, they both impressed me. 57% Chard, 43% PN, 0 dosage. Both the La Grand Ruelle and this village cuvee show a distinct dried green herb note. It's in the lane of either thyme or dill, but it is very distinctive and both wines clearly had it, a note I enjoyed. This smells like Pinot Noir too, with red fruits, and tastes of the same along with apple and chalky, zesty finish. Medium weight and delicious.
  • 2012 Marguet Père et Fils Champagne La Grande Ruelle - France, Champagne (6/10/2018)
    Last tasted this at the domaine during our visit last month. I want to say this didn't bias me, as last night I was unsure which lieux-dit Benoit had poured for us, but I do remember liking it. Disgorged 09/2017, 100% PN and 0 dosage. To last night's bottle, wow. Delicate, gentle with a perfect balance. Aromatic of green herb, like a thyme (dill?), red fruits of strawberry and raspberry and some lemony citrus. Amidst the delicacy of the wine, there is a layering feel that is beautiful, framed by light mineral in the finish. My ending comment in my notes say 'insanely good'. Marguet has very quickly risen to the top of my Champagne heap, next to Vilmart and Miniere.
  • 2012 Paul Bara Champagne Grand Cru Spécial Club Rosé - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (6/10/2018)
    Disgorged 06/2017. 30% Chard, 70% PN with a dollop of red still added for color. I believe the dosage on this was 9 g/l. Light peach color, creamy cherry, nice acidity and broad, juicy texture. Finishes with some nice austerity/grip.
  • NV Hugues Godmé Champagne Grand Cru Rosé - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (6/10/2018)
    We drank a 375 of this earlier in the week, a wine that I consistently have enjoyed. The bottle for this note was from 750, and because Godme doesn't list the disgorge date on their back label, I have neither bottle date. 65% PN, 35% Chard with a very healthy dose of reserve wine (50%, and unsure of the base vintage for the balance). 4 g/l. Fleshy, stone fruit pit, zesty. This bottle showed a nice rugged quality, with bright citrus. Finishes with a red fruit quality and the same zesty tone. When I drink this Rose, I consistently get the energy and fruit. It's what I like about Godme.
  • NV Jacquesson & Fils Champagne Cuvée No. 740 - France, Champagne (6/10/2018)
    Second bottle this week. Of note, this bottle had disgorge date (12/2016) of 5 months previous to the other bottle this week (that one was 04/2017). Not sure of whether the sources were the same but the dates were distinctly different. This bottle had a similar tonic water quality in the finish, but it's imprint was less that the bottle early this week, so one conclusion (of course, there could be several) is that the additional disgorgement age is allowing that aspect to settle into the wine better. Green apple, lime and some rustic mineral on the finish (dosage is 1.5 g/l).
  • NV Pierre Gerbais Champagne Extra Brut Grains de Celles Rose - France, Champagne (6/10/2018)
    Tasted this a few weeks back when I visited the domaine. Of note, this is blended with 50% Chard, then equal parts PN and Pinot Blanc (from the plot planted by his grandfather in 1905). There is also a bit of reserve wine in this cuvee, as well. Disgorged 07/2016, 3 g/l. Lots of grip in this bottle, good structure. Zesty strawberry, light lime and then the rocky note kicks in. This bottle showed good intensity and freshness. I bet this ages well. (Note--the structure of this bottle was evident, yet the bottle I drank alongside Aurelien Gerbais during my recent visit I found approachable. So, I am unsure if he had a different disgorge date on that bottle, one that had seen some extyra aging time.)
  • NV Vilmart & Cie Champagne Cuvée Rubis - France, Champagne (6/10/2018)
    Disgorged 12/2016. 90% PN, 10 Chard. Dosage not listed but I believe this sees about 8-10 g/l. Salmon colored, fresh acidity, strawberry, lightly creamy with medium weight. We drank this alongside the 12 Paul Bara SC Rose and just sense a better delineation from the Vilmart against the Bara.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Barry Sunderland

#244 Post by Barry Sunderland » June 10th, 2018, 8:23 am

Roederer Brut Nature, 2009...
Minerally, bone dry, crystalline. Love it.

Mike Hawkins

#245 Post by Mike Hawkins » June 10th, 2018, 5:09 pm

2002 Vilmart Couper de Cuvée... just starting to enter its long drinking window for my tastes. Oak is less pronounced than last time.. will be excellent

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#246 Post by brigcampbell » June 12th, 2018, 10:21 am

• 2009 Pierre Gimonnet & Fils Champagne Premier Cru Blanc de Blancs Brut Fleuron - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru (6/12/2018)
    Magnum. This kicked off the afternoon and showed quite well. Not sure what the story on the Fleuron bottling is but seemed more rounded out than some other Gimonnet, not that it flabby by any means. Yellow apple and warm bread crush aromas. Wine has medium plus acidity, as expected, but a little more mouthfeel and weight than I was expecting. Brassy note at the finish.
  • 2012 Marguet Père et Fils Champagne Grand Cru Rosé Ambonnay - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (6/12/2018)
    Crap, the palate was beginning to fatigue and I was in a "happy place" so the note taking on this wine was sparse at best. I'm pissed because it's such a great bottle. Light pink and light red fruit and then "scribble scribble scribble" and I was off story telling.
  • 2012 Marguet Père et Fils Champagne La Grande Ruelle - France, Champagne (6/12/2018)
    Excellent. Pinot Noir and zero dosage, talk to me. The nose hints at sweet red fruit and light brioche. Palate is bright, clean and crisp. Light ferrous, light citrus, and red apple. Finish was a slightly clipped. This is great right now and probably stellar in 5-10 years.
  • 2012 Paul Bara Champagne Grand Cru Spécial Club Rosé - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (6/12/2018)
    The color is a washed out pink, pushing peach. Love the touch of sour dough bread on the nose. It's light and nimble on the palate. Cherry is the core fruit here and rides right through the finish. Very nice summer sparkler.
  • NV Pierre Gerbais Champagne Extra Brut Grains de Celles Rose - France, Champagne (6/12/2018)
    Nice QPR. Pretty pink color and mousse.Very zesty palate, tangy and angular. Lean fruit which adds to the edginess. Cool stuff.
  • NV Vilmart & Cie Champagne Cuvée Rubis - France, Champagne (6/12/2018)
    I had this bottling a number of times and have one in the cellar. It's definitely one of my favorite Rosé. Light salmon color. The fruit is lean, candied strawberry and cherry. The raw dough note shows at the finish which is unique.

EHeffner

#247 Post by EHeffner » June 14th, 2018, 5:11 pm

NV Vilmart & Cie Cuvée Rubis - disgorged 2015. Fantastic. Tart upfront with a long and dry finish. Definitely getting candies strawberry on the tongue, or it’s just the notes from above playing mind tricks
E v @ n

Er€z _ L.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#248 Post by Er€z _ L. » June 15th, 2018, 6:58 am

Having my second glass of the '09 DP now.
It is very good by all means, but I don't think it lives to '06 or '04 that I enjoyed more even shortly after their release. I am waiting for a flight and it was an excellent BTG selection though
£ € n c n @ r

Sarah Kirschbaum

#249 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » June 15th, 2018, 7:02 am

NV Francis Boulard Les Murgiers Extra Brut last night for the first time in a couple of months. Not sure why the hiatus, as we usually have this on a regular basis. From the 2007 harvest, bottled in '08, disgorged in 2015. Mostly pinot meunier with some pinot noir, according to the back label, no percentages given.

What a delightful bottle of champagne, nicely developed and reasonably complex, with a broad mid palate, and clean finish. Could have used a bit more length, but I'm not going to complain. Classy juice at the price point.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#250 Post by Jay Miller » June 15th, 2018, 8:50 am

EHeffner wrote:NV Vilmart & Cie Cuvée Rubis - disgorged 2015. Fantastic. Tart upfront with a long and dry finish. Definitely getting candies strawberry on the tongue, or it’s just the notes from above playing mind tricks
That candied strawberry note is exactly why I'm not a fan of their NV Rubis. I'm pretty much alone on that amongst my friends. I love the vintage but it's expensive and hard to find.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Return to “Wine Talk”