GCC Member

Re: Which Champagne are you drinking?

#1951 Post by Warren Taranow »

2006 Billecart-Salmon Cuvée Nicolas-François Billecart
08354727-48B4-4D92-A3AD-BD2BC7D6C150.jpeg
Corked [cry.gif]

2012 Franck Bonville Blanc de Blancs Pur Mesnil
BD77F43C-E465-44D9-9680-C7900770D723.jpeg
Marybeth found it too "nutty", although I didn't find it particularly oxidative. To me, it was more clean and mineraled, fun for the price I paid, but I was hoping to find it more inspiring given the vineyard and vintage. Too young? (Not to MB if she already finds it too nutty).

Cheers,
Warren
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

MattG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1952 Post by MattG »

Warren Taranow wrote: March 20th, 2021, 11:00 am
MattG wrote: March 19th, 2021, 5:45 pm F69D6757-002D-4693-8ECB-4AC82FE246D6.jpeg

I’ve seen Warren talk about this before. Decided to open a bottle myself!
Matt,

How was it? I haven't opened any Iteration 24 ('07, '06, '04) yet. I'll probably open one soon then bury the rest in the cellar. These need a lot of time.

Cheers,
Warren
I’m eager to hear your thoughts when you do open a bottle.

To my taste, it was all finesse and balance. Minerality, crisp fruit, and perfect bubbles. Not creamy, no nuttiness, no yeast flavors. I didn’t taste anything that suggested a need for more development. I don’t think I’d want anything to change. It is a wine I’d drink on its own and with anything. Balance and finesse.

Have a bit left in the bottle. Will try the remainder and report if there’s significant change.
G@|’$1n

Sean S y d n e y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1953 Post by Sean S y d n e y »

Charles Mignon Grand Cru Cuvée Comte de Marne

Saw this and decided to pick it up because it was cheap (for Champagne, of course) and seemed well-received online. Slightly on the richer side, with nice yellow apple, light breadiness, a little breezy mineral influence. Nicely balanced by freshness and crisp acidity - not going to change your life but a perfect companion for a spring day, a balcony, and a book.
Instagram: @seansydney

MattG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1954 Post by MattG »

MattG wrote: March 20th, 2021, 1:06 pm
Warren Taranow wrote: March 20th, 2021, 11:00 am
MattG wrote: March 19th, 2021, 5:45 pm F69D6757-002D-4693-8ECB-4AC82FE246D6.jpeg

I’ve seen Warren talk about this before. Decided to open a bottle myself!
Matt,

How was it? I haven't opened any Iteration 24 ('07, '06, '04) yet. I'll probably open one soon then bury the rest in the cellar. These need a lot of time.

Cheers,
Warren
I’m eager to hear your thoughts when you do open a bottle.

To my taste, it was all finesse and balance. Minerality, crisp fruit, and perfect bubbles. Not creamy, no nuttiness, no yeast flavors. I didn’t taste anything that suggested a need for more development. I don’t think I’d want anything to change. It is a wine I’d drink on its own and with anything. Balance and finesse.

Have a bit left in the bottle. Will try the remainder and report if there’s significant change.
Well, spoke too soon: on day 2, developed flavors of crisp apple. So precise. Really wonderful. I was delighted on day 1, but clearly there is room for further development and improvement.
G@|’$1n

melvinyeo

#1955 Post by melvinyeo »

• 2009 René Geoffroy Champagne Premier Cru Volupté - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru (20/3/2021)
    July 2018 disgorgement, 69% Chardonnay, 31% Pinot Noir, 4g/l dosage. One of the best value champagnes that I've had. Green apple nose that points towards a Chardonnay-heavy blend, Underneath the creamy texture that are ripe pears, brioche that makes it a very food-friendly champagne. No malo apparently but I suspect it sees some oak, the fuller texture works well with the freshness of the wine here. Seriously impressive stuff, grower champagnes and warmer vintages are always a good bet.

Brian Pinci
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1956 Post by Brian Pinci »

2015 Veuve Doussot Champagne Ernestine Millesime. A strikingly dominant apricot perfume. Even the non-wine guests drinking noted it. Fine bubbles and light straw color. A very fresh and fruity champagne. Lots of stone fruit flavor with a bit of a sweet finish. Definitely a party champagne.
Brian Pinci

YaniSkarlatov

#1957 Post by YaniSkarlatov »

Agrapart Complantee, disgorged 2020, dosage 5 grams.
PN/PM/Chardonnay/Petit Meslier/PBlanc/Arbanne, only PGris missing.
Golden as opposed to the lemon colour of Agrapart's other wines.
Texture and aromatics following the golden cue - while Agrapart's lineup is very precise and mineral, Complantee is an opulent champagne. Ripe yellow apple and pears, honey, even mango, believe it or not!
True field blend, fermented together, as opposed to Moutard's 6 Cepages, which is fermented separately and blended.
Outstanding!

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1958 Post by Blake Brown »

YaniSkarlatov wrote: March 21st, 2021, 7:12 am Agrapart Complantee, disgorged 2020, dosage 5 grams.
PN/PM/Chardonnay/Petit Meslier/PBlanc/Arbanne, only PGris missing.
Golden as opposed to the lemon colour of Agrapart's other wines.
Texture and aromatics following the golden cue - while Agrapart's lineup is very precise and mineral, Complantee is an opulent champagne. Ripe yellow apple and pears, honey, even mango, believe it or not!
True field blend, fermented together, as opposed to Moutard's 6 Cepages, which is fermented separately and blended.
Outstanding!
Nice to see notes on this as I reviewed the Terriors in post #1942 and alluded to the 3 NV champagnes they make.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1959 Post by Blake Brown »

2010 LARMANDIER-BERNIER VIELLE VIGNE DU LEVANT EXTRA BRUT- this single-cru champagne is aged for 7- 8 years before being manually disgorged 6 months before its released; dosed @ 2 gpl, it’s made from 100% Grand Cru Chardonnay; this was well balanced with fresh green apple, pear, lemon and minerals delivered in a creamy texture; it’s very pleasant, rich and fulfilling and when finished with the first pour, it was apparent to me this can hang with some of the big boys.

Cheers,
Blake
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Charlie Carnes
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#1960 Post by Charlie Carnes »

• NV Robert Moncuit Champagne Grand Cru Brut Rosé - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (3/21/2021)
    Well, this is smashing! All at once it is dried mineral, desiccated strawberry, dusty clay, and apple peel! It has an amazing swallow and finish. I am smitten with it, and made quick work of the bottle! (95 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
Mr. President, it is natural to man to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth and listen to the song of that siren till she transforms us into beasts... Patrick Henry

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1961 Post by Jayson Cohen »

Charlie Carnes wrote: March 21st, 2021, 10:29 am
  • NV Robert Moncuit Champagne Grand Cru Brut Rosé - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (3/21/2021)
    Well, this is smashing! All at once it is dried mineral, desiccated strawberry, dusty clay, and apple peel! It has an amazing swallow and finish. I am smitten with it, and made quick work of the bottle! (95 pts.)
Sounds really good, Charlie. Do you mind posting the disgorgement and vintage blend if available?

Charlie Carnes
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#1962 Post by Charlie Carnes »

Sorry, I had it and forgot to write it in. 7/19
Mr. President, it is natural to man to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth and listen to the song of that siren till she transforms us into beasts... Patrick Henry

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1963 Post by Warren Taranow »

Extracted from another post:

2007 Billecart-Salmon Champagne Cuvée Elisabeth Salmon
I'm increasingly becoming a serious fan of this grower. Their NV Rosé is beautiful (when I can find it for what I consider a reasonable price). Their Cuvée Nicolas-François Billecart BdB is always spectacular and worth the high cost. This vintage rosé reinforced my growing reverence for the house. The Chardonnay and Pinot qualities seem to compete for my attention. Orange peel and lemon, orchard fruit and strawberries. It's still a baby, substantial yet elegant now; better times ahead. I've only had this cuvée from 2007; I'd expect it to be spectacular in a stronger vintage.
Billecart.jpeg
Be well, stay safe, and Cheers,
Warren

CT - WST

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1964 Post by Jim Stewart »

Apollonis "Authentic Meunier" Blanc de Noirs Brut, Loriot - NV
This is 100% Meunier and since I have been very pleased with the Egly-Ouriet Vignes de Vrigny version, I took a chance on a few 375 ml bottles from this new-to-me producer. This ain't no Vignes de Vrigny, but it is a very enjoyable bottle of Champagne. The fruit of the Meunier comes through without the accompanying spice that I found in the Egly- Ouriet, but it is balanced and lively. Good info on the bottle too: disgorgement 7/20, and 9g/L dosage. The taste seemed on the dry side of Brut to me but what do I know. Also on the label "Vibratory Sensations - Cultivated with Music"; the grower evidently plays music to the vines !!! He must be a "character" and one that I would like to chat with someday.
apollonis.jpg
Age merely shows what children we remain.
-Goethe

But I've just noticed that my mind is asleep.
-Rimbaud

He's a wino, tried and true
-Guy Clark

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1965 Post by Blake Brown »

Warren Taranow wrote: March 21st, 2021, 12:12 pm Extracted from another post:

2007 Billecart-Salmon Champagne Cuvée Elisabeth Salmon
I'm increasingly becoming a serious fan of this grower. Their NV Rosé is beautiful (when I can find it for what I consider a reasonable price). Their Cuvée Nicolas-François Billecart BdB is always spectacular and worth the high cost. This vintage rosé reinforced my growing reverence for the house. The Chardonnay and Pinot qualities seem to compete for my attention. Orange peel and lemon, orchard fruit and strawberries. It's still a baby, substantial yet elegant now; better times ahead. I've only had this cuvée from 2007; I'd expect it to be spectacular in a stronger vintage.

Billecart.jpeg

Be well, stay safe, and Cheers,
Warren
Also a fan of this release. Thanks for the reminder Warren.
Napolean Bonaparte

AD Northup
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#1966 Post by AD Northup »

• 2018 Jérôme Prévost Champagne La Closerie Extra Brut Esperluette - France, Champagne (3/24/2021)
    Pours with a slight pink, bordering on rose color. This is insanely good from pop and pour. Loads of ripe delicious berry goodness, super sweet bruised red apple, perfect tension with the acid. The finish stays with you for over a minute. This is beautiful, will be getting more.

A few hours in and it’s a bomb of tropical fruit flavors. This is a really good wine.
A n d r e w N o r t h u p

2021 WOTY Candidates:
1995 Charles Heidsieck Champagne Blanc des Millénaires

2020 WOTY:
2015 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Noirs La Presle (first RdJ)

2019 WOTY:
2005 Faja dos Padres Malvasia

MSemler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1967 Post by MSemler »

AD Northup wrote: March 24th, 2021, 5:58 pm
  • 2018 Jérôme Prévost Champagne La Closerie Extra Brut Esperluette - France, Champagne (3/24/2021)
    Pours with a slight pink, bordering on rose color. This is insanely good from pop and pour. Loads of ripe delicious berry goodness, super sweet bruised red apple, perfect tension with the acid. The finish stays with you for over a minute. This is beautiful, will be getting more.

A few hours in and it’s a bomb of tropical fruit flavors. This is a really good wine.
Sounds fantastic! Have been trying to get my hands on Esperluette to no avail - any rec of a potential source?
M@x

AD Northup
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#1968 Post by AD Northup »

MSemler wrote: March 24th, 2021, 6:05 pm
AD Northup wrote: March 24th, 2021, 5:58 pm

Sounds fantastic! Have been trying to get my hands on Esperluette to no avail - any rec of a potential source?
I looked around everywhere tonight after trying, none anywhere, think it’ll start to trickle in over the next few months
A n d r e w N o r t h u p

2021 WOTY Candidates:
1995 Charles Heidsieck Champagne Blanc des Millénaires

2020 WOTY:
2015 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Noirs La Presle (first RdJ)

2019 WOTY:
2005 Faja dos Padres Malvasia

MattG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1969 Post by MattG »

Want to try a rose - any strong opinions of what to try from the following?

Paul Bara Brut Rose GC
Delamotte Rose
Pierre Paillard Bouzy GC
Taittinger Prestige
G@|’$1n

dbailey

#1970 Post by dbailey »

Marks and Spencer (of all places!) has been dumping bottles of Lanson Extra Age at c. £25 each all in. Managed to snaffle several and would have bought more but couldn’t manage the carry to the car! Both bottles so far are fantastic. Very strongly recommended.
Dan

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1971 Post by Blake Brown »

Extracted from a thread to be posted in a few days:

2006 POL ROGER SIR WINSTON CHURCHILL BRUT- disgorged November 2016 at 8 gpl; I`ve had 2 superlative bottles of this fine bubbly and expected this to follow suit; it did not; it was slightly oxidized which became more pronounced with time; the first clue of something not right was the cloudy straw yellow color; I was certain the previous bottles were clear and more golden yellow; the nose seemed to offer OK aromas and initially so did the taste profile with spicy, licorice accented citrus notes with lemon zest most prominent; the next time through, I picked up something that was not right and then it was more clear and still subtle as advanced notes of caramel and butterscotch joined and then some stone fruit peach and apricot appeared along with a touch of nuttiness; for me, there was enough to enjoy to the extent of drinking the full pour; for a couple others, it was tossed.

Cheers,
Blake
Napolean Bonaparte

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1972 Post by Warren Taranow »

Blake Brown wrote: March 25th, 2021, 11:41 am Extracted from a thread to be posted in a few days:

2006 POL ROGER SIR WINSTON CHURCHILL BRUT- disgorged November 2016 at 8 gpl; I`ve had 2 superlative bottles of this fine bubbly and expected this to follow suit; it did not; it was slightly oxidized which became more pronounced with time; the first clue of something not right was the cloudy straw yellow color; I was certain the previous bottles were clear and more golden yellow; the nose seemed to offer OK aromas and initially so did the taste profile with spicy, licorice accented citrus notes with lemon zest most prominent; the next time through, I picked up something that was not right and then it was more clear and still subtle as advanced notes of caramel and butterscotch joined and then some stone fruit peach and apricot appeared along with a touch of nuttiness; for me, there was enough to enjoy to the extent of drinking the full pour; for a couple others, it was tossed.

Cheers,
Blake
Ouch. That should have lasted years. i wonder what happened.

WT

CT - WST

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1973 Post by Blake Brown »

Warren Taranow wrote: March 25th, 2021, 8:44 pm
Blake Brown wrote: March 25th, 2021, 11:41 am Extracted from a thread to be posted in a few days:

Cheers,
Blake
Ouch. That should have lasted years. i wonder what happened.

WT
Me too Warren. The wonderful world of chemistry and microbial action and all of the mysterious things that can happen to effect them is at play here and as we've seen and experienced, there are lots of factors that can contribute to it. In this case, this was one of 3 bottles that was flawed that supposedly came from the same batch and went through the same conditions of processing, shipping and storage.
BTW, we had 6 in our party and my bet is that for various reasons, 3 or 4 did not even pick up the oxidative notes.
Napolean Bonaparte

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1974 Post by Blake Brown »

Extracted from a thread to be posted in a few days:

NV CHARLES HEIDSIECK ROSE RESERVE- an old friend shows up as I use to have a bunch of this and the Brut and kind of missed both; after a somewhat disappointing 06`SWC, this served to clean out and refresh the palate as it gave nice spicy fresh strawberry and red cherry/ berry fruit which was prominent throughout while being delivered in a frothy, feel good medium; the dosage is noted to be in the 6-8 gpl range.
As an aside, 80% of the years wines are made up of equal portions of Pinot Noir, Pinot Meunier and Chardonnay with 20% of the reserve wines made up of 50% Pinot Noir and Chardonnay.

Cheers,
Blake
Napolean Bonaparte

Lowell C

#1975 Post by Lowell C »

I've been really satisfied with the grower Champagne they have at Astor Wines in New York. I'm gonna make a thread about that later.

The best QPR I've had is Charles Ricciuti for only 27 dollars! My parents and I really liked it and I found it to be a great value.
C o c h r a n e

Philip G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1976 Post by Philip G »

MattG wrote: March 24th, 2021, 8:06 pm Want to try a rose - any strong opinions of what to try from the following?

Paul Bara Brut Rose GC
Delamotte Rose
Pierre Paillard Bouzy GC
Taittinger Prestige
Have you tried the NV Billecart-Salmon Rosé? We like it and seems to get consistent good scores from everybody.
Chip G@@d

Philip G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1977 Post by Philip G »

Warren Taranow wrote: March 20th, 2021, 11:15 am 2006 Billecart-Salmon Cuvée Nicolas-François Billecart
Corked [cry.gif]
That's a bummer!

I just picked up a 2002 of this which we're excited to try.
Chip G@@d

brigcampbell
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#1978 Post by brigcampbell »

the 2012 are stupid good

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1979 Post by Warren Taranow »

Philip G wrote: March 26th, 2021, 11:04 am
Warren Taranow wrote: March 20th, 2021, 11:15 am 2006 Billecart-Salmon Cuvée Nicolas-François Billecart
Corked [cry.gif]
That's a bummer!

I just picked up a 2002 of this which we're excited to try.
The 2002 is several steps above the '06. It's one of my favorite 2002's. You're going to love it.

Cheers,
Warren

CT - WST

Charlie Carnes
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#1980 Post by Charlie Carnes »

MattG wrote: March 24th, 2021, 8:06 pm Want to try a rose - any strong opinions of what to try from the following?

Paul Bara Brut Rose GC
Delamotte Rose
Pierre Paillard Bouzy GC
Taittinger Prestige
Love the Bara. It full and delicious, crisp and lovely. I don't know Paillard, but I love getting bougie and boozy with Bouzy! Delamotte and Tat both decent.

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1981 Post by Warren Taranow »

Copied from a separate thread.
C8C9BE0D-71B4-4944-815F-E42F67FD8B0F.jpeg
Krug 168 eme. Obviously a long way from peak, but very enjoyable. It’s much better a bit warmer than typical serving temperature. Mostly lemony when cold, but the flavors and density escalate with air and temperature.
E58F7516-B313-4B3B-B0BF-52E0ECABFB50.jpeg
E531A819-5714-460E-ADD8-514DB5498E74.jpeg
2009 Larmandier-Bernier Terre de Vertus
This showed the precocity of the vintage. Ripe, energetic and delicious.
E4D06988-5201-4031-B323-7DB13A56E1A4.jpeg
2002 Billecart Salmon Cuvèe Nicolas Françoise Billecart. One of the top two wines of the trip, and one of my wines of the year. This is consistently one of my favorite 2002’s.
19DCEA78-ECBE-42D2-B114-0081BF8F3886.jpeg

2012 Vilmart Rosè Emotion. This blew me away. I often regret buying tête de cuvèe rosè champagnes. They’re frequently delicious but not a big enough step above other rosès which cost much less. Going forward, this wine will be a “buy regardless of price”
Champagne. Huge, luscious, crisp, balanced, long and utterly satisfying. It screams for food. It will definitely be on my 2021 WOTY list.

Cheers,
Warren

CT - WST

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1982 Post by Brian S t o t t e r »

NV Henri Goutorbe Champagne Grand Cru Brut Rosé. Strawberry, raspberry puree, peaches, rose petals, and some chalky mineral undertones. Fresh and vibrant on the palate. My first time trying this Envoyer favorite, quite nice.
CT and IG: rieslinghoarder

2021 WOTY Candidates:

2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Niedermenniger Herrenberg Riesling Spätlese feinherb “Meyer Nepal” #11
2006 Billecart-Salmon Champagne Cuvée Nicolas-François Billecart
2015 Kelley Fox Wines Pinot Noir Maresh Vineyard Red Barn Blocks
1997 Reichsgraf von Kesselstatt Scharzhofberger Riesling Auslese

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1983 Post by Jayson Cohen »

Marc Hébrart Mes Favorites Premier Cru VV, disgorged August 2019.

MattG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1984 Post by MattG »

What is the difference between DP Luminous and non luminous DP?

Anyone try the 2008 Luminous?

There’s a price difference, I assume that’s more than just the label.
G@|’$1n

J. Rock
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1985 Post by J. Rock »

MattG wrote: March 31st, 2021, 4:21 pm What is the difference between DP Luminous and non luminous DP?

I'm pretty sure your assumption is wrong and they charge more just so you can look cooler when you order that glowing bottle of Dom in the club.
J o r d a n

WOTY 2020: 1982 Cakebread Cellars Sauvignon Blanc Late Harvest Rutherford Gold

Brad Baker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1986 Post by Brad Baker »

MattG wrote: March 31st, 2021, 4:21 pm What is the difference between DP Luminous and non luminous DP?

No difference in the wine; just the label. For DP, it doesn't matter if it is a regular, limited edition, luminous, artist, etc... release. They are all the same. When you move into the P2, P3, etc.. late releases then you have some differences in how the wine was aged, disgorged, dosaged, but still the same wine - just treated quite differenently once it is put in the bottle.
Brad Baker
The Champagne Warrior

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1987 Post by Neal.Mollen »

We had a bottle of the 2008 Pol Roger Rose last night and I have to say it didn't quite hit the mark. I think it is just too young and will develop with further bottle age. Seemed a bit clipped with esp. sharp acidity. I'll hold my other two for a bit

Looks glorious in the glass though.

Has anyone had the 2012?
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1988 Post by CJ Beazley »

Neal.Mollen wrote: April 4th, 2021, 7:07 am We had a bottle of the 2008 Pol Roger Rose last night and I have to say it didn't quite hit the mark. I think it is just too young and will develop with further bottle age. Seemed a bit clipped with esp. sharp acidity. I'll hold my other two for a bit

Looks glorious in the glass though.

Has anyone had the 2012?
Man between you and Blake in post #1971 tuff week for Pol Roger, I just got an attractive offer for the 2012 this week-I’m curious too.
It's C(raig)

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1989 Post by Warren Taranow »

NV Marc Hébrart Brut Rosè. Very expressive and delicious. This was an older release, but I didn’t check the label for details.

2013 Louis Roederer Brut Rosè Leaner, more angular than the Hébrart, but exciting and tasty. I’ll postpone opening more for at least a couple of years.

2008 Dom Perignon . Still pretty tight. It needed plenty of air, reaching nearly room temperature to flesh out.

CT - WST

Er€z _ L.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1990 Post by Er€z _ L. »

2012 Pol Roger Blanc de Blancs over two nights. A great companion for a full course cheese and light grilled vegetables meal. An hour into it the floral got even wider (though it was excellent from PnP). Nice, medium plus finish. I certainly agree with the citrus, toast and creamy notes other on CT that; though I would note other floral and palate fruits as well (I would not go as far as saying citrus dominated. The bright gold (rusty gold) and long bubbles also added to the experience. Think rusty gold in line of honey (e.g. clover honey). Well recommended-- in general I found the '12 pol roger to be a very good and stable product (both vintage and bdb)
£ € n c n @ r

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1991 Post by alan weinberg »

anybody try Laherte 06 Oenoteque? On deck possibly tonight.

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1992 Post by Brian S t o t t e r »

alan weinberg wrote: April 4th, 2021, 1:20 pm anybody try Laherte 06 Oenoteque? On deck possibly tonight.
Haven’t had that bottling. Looks like 2006 is the only vintage in CT. Was that a special cuvee just for that year?
CT and IG: rieslinghoarder

2021 WOTY Candidates:

2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Niedermenniger Herrenberg Riesling Spätlese feinherb “Meyer Nepal” #11
2006 Billecart-Salmon Champagne Cuvée Nicolas-François Billecart
2015 Kelley Fox Wines Pinot Noir Maresh Vineyard Red Barn Blocks
1997 Reichsgraf von Kesselstatt Scharzhofberger Riesling Auslese

Timo D

#1993 Post by Timo D »

My favorites that I cannot find easily in the states but that are easier to find in France include:

Pol Roger "Pure" Extra Brut
Soutiran brut nature (excellent value)

but with these not available it goes to:

Louis Roederer Brut Nature 2009 which was $76 in Houston.
D i e c k

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1994 Post by Blake Brown »

Extracted from a thread to be posted in a few days re a dinner at LA`s Providence:

2004 LOUIS ROEDERER CRISTAL BRUT- the last time we frequented this restaurant last year, I took 02` Cristal and it was superlative; since it’s been almost 2 years since I`ve opened an 04`, I chose this evening to re-visit it fully aware it needs more time to evolve; it turned out to be a good decision as it had lost all of its greenness and is now in a stage of coming together and offering some very nice treasures while still reaching for its apogee; the back label on the 04` does not contain a code that provides details as to disgorgement, etc.; once tasted, this bottle had honeyed peach, apricot, mango, citrus and pear fruit with a nice streak of brioche all the way through; it was full bodied with a creamy mousse, bright acidity, amazing richness, layered complexity and nice balance; this shows how much more of everything is gained with more time and there is still more to be gained, but there’s lots to enjoy now;  60% Pinot Noir, 40% Chardonnay.

Cheers,
Blake
Napolean Bonaparte

A1ex H

#1995 Post by A1ex H »

Blake, thanks for the note. What's drinking better right now in your experience, the 2004 or 2009 Cristal? Need to take home some Cristal from storage and was wondering what vintage is drinking better now.
H@ns£n

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1996 Post by alan weinberg »

Blake Brown wrote: April 4th, 2021, 5:25 pm Extracted from a thread to be posted in a few days re a dinner at LA`s Providence:

2004 LOUIS ROEDERER CRISTAL BRUT- the last time we frequented this restaurant last year, I took 02` Cristal and it was superlative; since it’s been almost 2 years since I`ve opened an 04`, I chose this evening to re-visit it fully aware it needs more time to evolve; it turned out to be a good decision as it had lost all of its greenness and is now in a stage of coming together and offering some very nice treasures while still reaching for its apogee; the back label on the 04` does not contain a code that provides details as to disgorgement, etc.; once tasted, this bottle had honeyed peach, apricot, mango, citrus and pear fruit with a nice streak of brioche all the way through; it was full bodied with a creamy mousse, bright acidity, amazing richness, layered complexity and nice balance; this shows how much more of everything is gained with more time and there is still more to be gained, but there’s lots to enjoy now;  60% Pinot Noir, 40% Chardonnay.

Cheers,
Blake
almost opened this tonight.

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1997 Post by Blake Brown »

A1ex H wrote: April 4th, 2021, 6:19 pm Blake, thanks for the note. What's drinking better right now in your experience, the 2004 or 2009 Cristal? Need to take home some Cristal from storage and was wondering what vintage is drinking better now.
No doubt in my mind Alex, the 09` by a wide margin.
Napolean Bonaparte

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1998 Post by Blake Brown »

alan weinberg wrote: April 4th, 2021, 7:45 pm
Blake Brown wrote: April 4th, 2021, 5:25 pm Extracted from a thread to be posted in a few days re a dinner at LA`s Providence:

Cheers,
Blake
almost opened this tonight.
The positive vibes are circulating Alan.
Napolean Bonaparte

crickey

#1999 Post by crickey »

NV Vilmart Cuvee Rubis, disgorged 7/19. It was okay, but not great. It was better on its own than with food. I had it with sushi rolls, which may have overwhelmed the wine.
Chri$ Ri¢k€y

I. van de Laar

#2000 Post by I. van de Laar »

Drank Champagne twice this eastern weekend, both accompanying a quiche during lunch.

NV Yannick Prevoteau Cuvee Amandine, Blanc the blancs with a nice combo of green apple freshness and yeasty brioche notes. Silky mouthfeel, really liked
thisone. (90p)

NV Nicolas Feuillatte Champagne Brut Réserve. Very decent champagne, nice freshness combined with warmer tones.(88p)
I = Ivor

Return to “Wine Talk”