Which Champagne are you drinking?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Al Osterheld
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Which Champagne are you drinking?

#1901 Post by Al Osterheld »

Haven't yet tried the 2014, but my experience is that Pierre Paillard does pretty well as far providing adequate richness to balance the low dosage.

-Al

Corey N.

#1902 Post by Corey N. »

Warren Taranow wrote: February 27th, 2021, 7:20 pm
Corey N. wrote: February 27th, 2021, 3:25 pm This hasn't fully opened up, so the note may be adjusted...
  • 2014 Pierre Paillard Champagne Grand Cru Extra Brut Les Parcelles - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (2/27/2021)
    Expressive nose yielding aromas of red apple skin, red berries, yeast and lemon. On the palate, the red fruit takes the center stage, primarily tart red apple skin and pear, with a mineral streak in the midpalate and lemon comes out in the finish. Somewhat lean (a bit too much for my preference), with a refined mousse.

70% Pinot Noir/30% Chardonnay. Disgorged after 4 years on lees, less than 2 g/l dosage. For my palate, I've found that most low dosage Champagnes flesh out a bit with some aging and I will tuck away my remaining bottles for a couple years to maximize pleasure. Nice QPR. (91 pts.)
Hi Corey
I haven’t had this yet, but I’ve had some champagnes lately that could’ve used a little more meat on the bones. Some seem to do extra brut well, but I think in other cases, the dosage pendulum may have swung too far for my taste. I think that may be a minority opinion on WB.
Cheers
Warren
We agree. To be clear, I enjoyed this Champagne, but I can't help thinking it would be better with just a bit higher dosage. But to each their own.

--

OT, but I am always struck by your signature line; what a lovely sentiment. Cheers.
I'm with Corey on this. - Todd W.

Nøv¡¢k

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1903 Post by Jayson Cohen »

Robert Moncuit Grand Cru Le Grands Blancs Extra Brut NV (2015-2014; disg. May 2019; 3 g/l). The chalky, bake shop-leaning nose seems promising, but this release frankly pales in comparison to the 2013-2012 release and even the intervening 2014-2013 release. Muddled and slightly hollow on the palate. To avoid being hasty, I gave this time to open drank this over a couple days.

I don’t know what to make of this Cuvee. The 2013-2012 version (before a name change on the label) was brilliant, one of my favorite entry level champagnes from the last decade. While plainly base vintages make a difference, esp in a two-year blend, whatever potential existed here in 2015–2014 seems to have been squandered. Ok for $39.99 on sale. Not good for normal retail over $50.

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1904 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

We had a one night break in our no wine spell last night and opened a champagne I had never heard of until Jonathan brought it home along with a purchase pick up a few weeks ago: NV José Michel & Fils Champagne Cuvée du Père Houdart

I'm borrowing the details from Brad Baker's excellent review (thank you, Brad!). "2011 base; A very unique blend, this cuvée is made by blending young still wine with twice fermented wines already in bottle (and some already disgorged); these bottled wines can be from up to forty years earlier. This particular version takes 2011 harvest and blends it with wines from 1984, 1982, 1976, 1975, and 1971. Because 3,500 bottles of this release were made and the reserve wines make up 60% of the blend (and equal amounts of each reserve wines are used), this means that approximately 420 reserve bottles were utilized within this one wine. This just gives you an idea of the kind of oenothéque José Michel manages."

I liked the wine quite a bit. Not knowing what to expect, I went with serving in GGG stems on the cold side and allowing to warm as we went. At first, I was struck by strong bosc pear notes on the nose and the palate, with some bready tones and a touch of lactic on the backend that blew off quickly, which is good because I don't like that element. In the mouth, this had plenty of focused acidity, slightly coarse bubbles that smoothed out with air and time, and a very complex combination of mature and youthful notes. I think Brad Baker's note on the wine is spot on, and I agree it's not one for holding a long time. I found it benefitted from air for the hour or so we had it open, but didn't think it needed more. Quite enjoyable and interesting, with lots going on. A good balance of pleasure and intellect. It was a remarkably good match with the little bit of caviar and creme fraiche we brought out to snack on. Usually champagne nudges at the caviar in a distracting way at some point in a bite/sip - not enough to stop me liking them together, mind you - but this pairing was seamless.

I don't think I'll be chasing this, but I wouldn't hesitate if it was on a list somewhere at a good price. For the record, I usually like Jose Michel's Special Club.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

MattG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1905 Post by MattG »

D33DF25D-41EC-4FD5-A27D-027A9C79EE1E.jpeg
Always happy to open Delamotte’s NV BdB.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
G@|’$1n

JoelD
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1906 Post by JoelD »

MattG wrote: March 4th, 2021, 5:24 pm D33DF25D-41EC-4FD5-A27D-027A9C79EE1E.jpeg

Always happy to open Delamotte’s NV BdB.
I like that wine glass, Matt. What kind is it?
D a v i d s o n

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1907 Post by Warren Taranow »

I've been chided for even owning 1/2 bottles of Champagne, so some might find humor in the fact that I drank a .375 of Krug 168 over two days. My wife's away, and I had a glass with dinner last night and the rest tonight. It's a tasty wine right now out of this format, although far from showing any mature Krug fireworks. This is much better tonight than last night. Baked bread, apple, creamy orange and tart lemon. Beautiful long finish. I do like my Krug.

Cheers, champagne.gif

Warren
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

Steve Nordhoff
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#1908 Post by Steve Nordhoff »

2005 Pierre Peters Chetillons - super tight cork; medium pale yellow; lime and red apple on the nose with a rounder orchard fruit palate; long and balanced; quite nice for a 2005, one of my least favorite vintages
ITB -Riverain Vineyards

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1909 Post by Blake Brown »

Warren Taranow wrote: March 6th, 2021, 7:44 pm I've been chided for even owning 1/2 bottles of Champagne, so some might find humor in the fact that I drank a .375 of Krug 168 over two days. My wife's away, and I had a glass with dinner last night and the rest tonight. It's a tasty wine right now out of this format, although far from showing any mature Krug fireworks. This is much better tonight than last night. Baked bread, apple, creamy orange and tart lemon. Beautiful long finish. I do like my Krug.

Cheers, champagne.gif

Warren
1/2 bottles of Krug 168eme never merits being chided; in fact, 1/2 bottles of anything can be the perfect size for solo occasions. Love the 750 version Warren.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1910 Post by Blake Brown »

Steve Nordhoff wrote: March 7th, 2021, 6:31 am 2005 Pierre Peters Chetillons - super tight cork; medium pale yellow; lime and red apple on the nose with a rounder orchard fruit palate; long and balanced; quite nice for a 2005, one of my least favorite vintages
Nice. Good to see you drinking well my friend. Looking forward to sitting across the table from you soon.
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#1911 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

Had a 2002 Lanson Gold Label last night. Nothing profound, but fun & tasty for a 19 year old vintage Champagne that cost me $40 on release.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Steve Nordhoff
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#1912 Post by Steve Nordhoff »

Blake Brown wrote: March 7th, 2021, 8:28 am
Steve Nordhoff wrote: March 7th, 2021, 6:31 am 2005 Pierre Peters Chetillons - super tight cork; medium pale yellow; lime and red apple on the nose with a rounder orchard fruit palate; long and balanced; quite nice for a 2005, one of my least favorite vintages
Nice. Good to see you drinking well my friend. Looking forward to sitting across the table from you soon.
Sitting on a mag of one of Burt’s best for that very occasion
ITB -Riverain Vineyards

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1913 Post by Blake Brown »

Steve Nordhoff wrote: March 7th, 2021, 2:51 pm
Blake Brown wrote: March 7th, 2021, 8:28 am
Sitting on a mag of one of Burt’s best for that very occasion
[highfive.gif] [thankyou.gif]
Napolean Bonaparte

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1914 Post by alan weinberg »

90 Delamotte. Almost still wine. Lovely.
96 Deutz rosé Cuvée William. Wonderful.
99 Ployez-Jacquemart d’Harbonville. Young and delicious.
08 Ployez-Jacquemart. Tight, needs time.
NV Palmer rosé. Boring.
12 P. Peters Chetillon. Real nice but no fireworks. Is my palate off?

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1915 Post by Warren Taranow »

alan weinberg wrote: March 8th, 2021, 7:12 am 90 Delamotte. Almost still wine. Lovely.
NV Palmer rosé. Boring.
Alan,

I’ve been impressed by several higher end Deutz wines and have started buying some. Their Amour de Deutz Rosès are spectacular.
I went deep on the P. Peters Chetillon in ‘12, although it was a better vintage for Pinot than Chardonnay. IMO, they often need a lot of time. The ‘08s aren’t ready yet. In fact, as you mentioned for the PJ, many ‘08s are still reticent. I’m hitting my 02-03-04-05-06-07-09’s and trying to lay off the 08, 12, 13. Not sure about 10,11; I’m letting most of them rest too, but my cellar’s deep enough to allow me that luxury.
Cheers
Warren

CT - WST

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1916 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

Warren Taranow wrote: March 8th, 2021, 10:17 am
alan weinberg wrote: March 8th, 2021, 7:12 am 90 Delamotte. Almost still wine. Lovely.
NV Palmer rosé. Boring.
Alan,

I’ve been impressed by several higher end Deutz wines and have started buying some. Their Amour de Deutz Rosès are spectacular.
I went deep on the P. Peters Chetillon in ‘12, although it was a better vintage for Pinot than Chardonnay. IMO, they often need a lot of time. The ‘08s aren’t ready yet. In fact, as you mentioned for the PJ, many ‘08s are still reticent. I’m hitting my 02-03-04-05-06-07-09’s and trying to lay off the 08, 12, 13. Not sure about 10,11; I’m letting most of them rest too, but my cellar’s deep enough to allow me that luxury.
Cheers
Warren
Deutz varies a lot for me from bottling to bottling. Some I like a lot, while others are unremarkable. I have always liked the '96 rosé Cuvée William, and the new Hommage bottlings, which are now from single parcels, are excellent.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1917 Post by Neal.Mollen »

spur of the moment half bottle of José Michel Rosé Champagne. Lovely and on point with dinner. I love having half bottles!
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1918 Post by Warren Taranow »

Neal.Mollen wrote: March 8th, 2021, 12:40 pm spur of the moment half bottle of José Michel Rosé Champagne. Lovely and on point with dinner. I love having half bottles!
They’re so good and so well priced! I have it in every format from 375-1.5.
WT

CT - WST

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1919 Post by Blake Brown »

2000 DOM PERIGNON- this was nicely balanced and mature and although not a big and majorly gregarious Dom, it epitomized how special this bubbly gets when it has a bit of age allowing for everything to come together, settle in and just please; with bright acidity, it had a lovely mild spicy citrus nose which on the palate translated into lime, apple and pear with a rush of lemon oil finishing it off at the back end; it had some richness, but more grace and charm; for me, the hallmark was its beautiful balance and elegance.

Cheers,
Blake
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Napolean Bonaparte

Yao C

#1920 Post by Yao C »

Warren Taranow wrote: March 8th, 2021, 10:17 am Not sure about 10,11; I’m letting most of them rest too, but my cellar’s deep enough to allow me that luxury.
For what it's worth, it was a 2010 several years back that got me hooked on Pierre Peters. Far from apogee but wonderfully open and forward, and I would not hesitate to open one today
champagne.gif
C h 0 o n 6

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1921 Post by Warren Taranow »

Yao C wrote: March 8th, 2021, 10:05 pm
Warren Taranow wrote: March 8th, 2021, 10:17 am Not sure about 10,11; I’m letting most of them rest too, but my cellar’s deep enough to allow me that luxury.
For what it's worth, it was a 2010 several years back that got me hooked on Pierre Peters. Far from apogee but wonderfully open and forward, and I would not hesitate to open one today
champagne.gif
I really liked the 2010 Vilmart GC d’Or and the GC Rubis, although it was no surprise. I’ve come to expect Vilmart to succeed in challenging vintages.

CT - WST

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1922 Post by Brian S t o t t e r »

2016 Laherte Freres Champagne Premier Cru Extra Brut Les Longue Voyes.

Powerful and intense.
CT and IG: rieslinghoarder

2021 WOTY Candidates:

2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Niedermenniger Herrenberg Riesling Spätlese feinherb “Meyer Nepal” #11
2006 Billecart-Salmon Champagne Cuvée Nicolas-François Billecart
2015 Kelley Fox Wines Pinot Noir Maresh Vineyard Red Barn Blocks
1997 Reichsgraf von Kesselstatt Scharzhofberger Riesling Auslese

Jonathan Jetter

#1923 Post by Jonathan Jetter »

Most recently, just a humble J.C. Ricciuti Brut Reserve, non-vintage.

The vigneron is the cousin of one of my clients, and Astor recently had it on sale at a deep discount ($27/bottle!), so I gave it a shot.

Really great for an entry-level Champagne- deep rich flavors for only a few years aging. Bread, red apple, a bit of citrus, and a lot of acidity. Sign me up.

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1924 Post by Blake Brown »

Extracted from notes to be posted soon for a Barolo dinner:

2008 HENRIOT BRUT MILLESIME- this was my 2nd bottle in the last few months and it showed consistent notes with the previous one and qualifies to be added to the stellar lineup of 08`s that are rocking out of the gate; the vintage also marks the 200th anniversary for the house and this champagne honors that by being extra special IMHO; it is made from fruit sourced from 10 1er Cru and Grand Cru villages and comprised of 50% Pinot Noir and Chardonnay, aged for 8 years on the lees and dosed at 6 gpl; it had a clear, gold color and tiny bubbles which confirmed the long period of aging; it has fine acidity and is laden with nice, freshly ripened citrus fruit which on the palate becomes lemon zest, grapefruit, strawberry, white peach and white nectarine with a streak of honey, ginger and minerality running through; the smooth, oily texture is the perfect compliment to this a winner.

Cheers,
Blake
Napolean Bonaparte

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1925 Post by Jayson Cohen »

2012 Louis Roederer Brut. My initial take is on Instagram below. Overnight though the wine gained orange blossom and walnut husk aromatic notes and a more creamy palate, both flavor-wise and texturally. This one is a long-hauler.

Follow the link to see my discussion of fried chicken with Josh Raynolds.

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1926 Post by Warren Taranow »

2004 Taittinger Comtes. This is really singing. No, it's dancing! For my tastes, it had entered an ideal drinking window, a window that will be very long and enjoyable. I haven't had an '02 in a while, but this was my favorite recent bottle of any of that decade's versions.

CT - WST

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1927 Post by Blake Brown »

Warren Taranow wrote: March 12th, 2021, 7:52 pm 2004 Taittinger Comtes. This is really singing. No, it's dancing! For my tastes, it had entered an ideal drinking window, a window that will be very long and enjoyable. I haven't had an '02 in a while, but this was my favorite recent bottle of any of that decade's versions.
I've favored the 02` over the 04` since first released and up to now; both are fabulous IMHO, but the 02` just reaches another level. Thanks for the reminder to revisit them.
Napolean Bonaparte

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1928 Post by Warren Taranow »

Blake Brown wrote: March 13th, 2021, 8:05 am
Warren Taranow wrote: March 12th, 2021, 7:52 pm 2004 Taittinger Comtes. This is really singing. No, it's dancing! For my tastes, it had entered an ideal drinking window, a window that will be very long and enjoyable. I haven't had an '02 in a while, but this was my favorite recent bottle of any of that decade's versions.
I've favored the 02` over the 04` since first released and up to now; both are fabulous IMHO, but the 02` just reaches another level. Thanks for the reminder to revisit them.
Blake

I was late to the Comtes train, and didn’t buy in quantity until the ‘04 vintage. Hence my paucity of experience with the ‘02. I’m adequately deep in 2004, 2006, 2007, and 2008, so I’m much less liberal opening the few 96’s and 02’s in my stash. I haven’t had either in at least a year, IIRC.

Cheers

Warren

CT - WST

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1929 Post by Jayson Cohen »

Warren Taranow wrote: March 13th, 2021, 8:31 am
Blake

I was late to the Comtes train, and didn’t buy in quantity until the ‘04 vintage. Hence my paucity of experience with the ‘02. I’m adequately deep in 2004, 2006, 2007, and 2008, so I’m much less liberal opening the few 96’s and 02’s in my stash. I haven’t had either in at least a year, IIRC.

Cheers

Warren
Not sure if better to post here or in your Shellfish thread, but I’m in Camp 2004. It’s my favorite since 1995 although I think 2008 has a long, strong future ahead, albeit it’s a richer wine than 2004.

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1930 Post by Blake Brown »

Blake

Cheers

Warren
Love the analogy Warren. I think the Comtes train is circling the planet and picking up some new passengers with each newly declared vintage. Having had a boxcar load of the 06`, I'm setting in inside the caboose to just relish all their treasures while journeying through life with some fine bubbly.
Napolean Bonaparte

Jonathan Jaggers

#1931 Post by Jonathan Jaggers »

Local shop had a deal I couldn't pass up on NV Alfred Gratien Champagne Brut. It was pretty banging with a cheese board we had. Strong notes of granny smith apple, citrus zest, and macrona almond. Will probably grab another before they're gone.

melvinyeo

#1932 Post by melvinyeo »

NV Varnier-Fanniere Champagne Grand Cru Cuvée St-Denis - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (16/3/2021)
100% Chardonnay, 8g/l dosage. Hefty champagne which made me thought there was Pinot in the blend. Lots of green apples, made in a more oxidative, toasty style. Food friendly but the dosage sticks out a bit as the wine doesn't have the richness to balance it out, giving a rather coarse texture.

JBrochu

#1933 Post by JBrochu »

Blake

Cheers

Warren
Is 2005 not very good? Seems to get fine CT scores, but I don't recall seeing anybody mentioning it in this thread where I see those other years you mention quite frequently talked about.
J@hn

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1934 Post by Warren Taranow »

JBrochu wrote: March 16th, 2021, 5:55 pm

Blake

Cheers

Warren
Is 2005 not very good? Seems to get fine CT scores, but I don't recall seeing anybody mentioning it in this thread where I see those other years you mention quite frequently talked about.
Good point! I don’t mean to malign the 2005, but the first Comtes I tried was the ‘06 and it was easy at the time to backfill the ‘04. 2005 has a reputation as a decent but low acid vintage. I didn’t buy any. In fact, the only 2005 champagne i bought was Cristal. I’ve found most good producers can make excellent wines even in challenging years; I’ve had some beautiful 2011’s. Some producers I buy regardless of vintage reputation (Vilmart, Cristal, and probably Comtes moving forward).
In conclusion; I wouldn’t turn down a 2005 Comtes!

Cheers
Warren

CT - WST

Al Osterheld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1935 Post by Al Osterheld »

I like the 2005 Comtes (and bought), but it does have a somewhat richer profile with a bit less "cut".

-Al

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1936 Post by Blake Brown »

JBrochu wrote: March 16th, 2021, 5:55 pm

Blake

Cheers

Warren
IMHO, 2005 was a good vintage, but not anywhere as good as 02`, 04` ,06` 08` and even 10`. It also comes down to individual houses as to which ones made good bubbly in declared vintages. Again, IMHO, the 05` Comtes was very much a light weight champagne with lots of finesse and charm, but not having a lot of power, concentration and depth. I've referred to it as a weak sister to the 06` and I still enjoy opening one; it's just with a different expectation.
Napolean Bonaparte

JBrochu

#1937 Post by JBrochu »

Thanks all. I bought a couple of bottles of the 2005 recently and look forward to trying one soon.
J@hn

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1938 Post by K John Joseph »

I recently tried three offerings from JM Labruyere, including the BdB Page Blanche, regular blend 70-30 pinot to chard Prologue, and rose Anthologie. The champagnes are made from grapes from grand cru vineyards, though I didn't locate exactly where and know little about this producer.

Each of the wines I had was bottled in 2013 and disgorged in late 2016 or so. Based on their current website information, I assume what I drank was 2011 or 2012 base. My general takeaway is that the wines are fairly smooth, have a rich profile, but come across a little bit simple and sweeter than I would expect for relatively low dosage wines. The BdB and Prologue were both around 4g/l and I honestly would have guessed in the 9-10 range. The Anthologie, a rose, was in the 6.5 g/l range. I did note from the website that their most recent release has considerably lower dosage, at less than 2 g/l for the BdB. I think that probably would have helped a bit.

I would peg each of these around 88-91 points or so, which is not great QPR for their relatively high price point. I favored the BdB more than the other two, but even that lacked verve and some complexity, though the biscuit and honeysuckle and creme pat flavor profile was pleasing, creamy, and smooth. It would be at the top of that range. The rose had a pleasing nose of apricot and raspberry vanilla, but the palate was, in my opinion, marred by an unpleasant and slightly bitter finish. My least favorite of the trio. The Prologue was fine, just not particularly exciting. A champagne that you would drink, know it was champagne, and then likely not remember much about it were it in the middle of a larger lineup. Honestly I tried it over two days and couldn't write a note on it today, just a two days later, other than just a general impression of mediocrity for the $65 price point.

I've one more bottle of each, and while intrigued to revisit the BdB, am not that excited about the other two.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1939 Post by Blake Brown »

JBrochu wrote: March 16th, 2021, 7:44 pm Thanks all. I bought a couple of bottles of the 2005 recently and look forward to trying one soon.
Feel free to share your impressions and any comparisons to other vintages of Comtes.
Napolean Bonaparte

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1940 Post by Blake Brown »

K John Joseph wrote: March 17th, 2021, 8:40 am I recently tried three offerings from JM Labruyere, including the BdB Page Blanche, regular blend 70-30 pinot to chard Prologue, and rose Anthologie. The champagnes are made from grapes from grand cru vineyards, though I didn't locate exactly where and know little about this producer.

Each of the wines I had was bottled in 2013 and disgorged in late 2016 or so. Based on their current website information, I assume what I drank was 2011 or 2012 base. My general takeaway is that the wines are fairly smooth, have a rich profile, but come across a little bit simple and sweeter than I would expect for relatively low dosage wines. The BdB and Prologue were both around 4g/l and I honestly would have guessed in the 9-10 range. The Anthologie, a rose, was in the 6.5 g/l range. I did note from the website that their most recent release has considerably lower dosage, at less than 2 g/l for the BdB. I think that probably would have helped a bit.

I would peg each of these around 88-91 points or so, which is not great QPR for their relatively high price point. I favored the BdB more than the other two, but even that lacked verve and some complexity, though the biscuit and honeysuckle and creme pat flavor profile was pleasing, creamy, and smooth. It would be at the top of that range. The rose had a pleasing nose of apricot and raspberry vanilla, but the palate was, in my opinion, marred by an unpleasant and slightly bitter finish. My least favorite of the trio. The Prologue was fine, just not particularly exciting. A champagne that you would drink, know it was champagne, and then likely not remember much about it were it in the middle of a larger lineup. Honestly I tried it over two days and couldn't write a note on it today, just a two days later, other than just a general impression of mediocrity for the $65 price point.

I've one more bottle of each, and while intrigued to revisit the BdB, am not that excited about the other two.
Nice informative notes I can relate to. Thanks
Napolean Bonaparte

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1941 Post by Blake Brown »

Extracted from other notes to be posted in a few days:

2012 PIERRE PETERS CUVEE SPECIAL LES CHETILLONS BLANC de BLANC GRAND CRU- I thoroughly enjoyed the first bottle I opened of this a couple of weeks ago {see notes above- #1882} and wanted to share it with our dinner group as I found it to be extra stellar, at least the first bottle was; this one was really good, but no where near the explosive, power laden beauty that preceded it; in so far as full on thrust, power, weight and depth is concerned, this one was the antithesis as it seemed to have more finesse, charm and elegance; both bottles were nicely balanced and featured nice citrus notes along with apple, pear and tropical fruit accented by a mild touch of ginger and brioche; I’m still loving this release, but the bottle variation is shocking and I’m not sure which one is the real deal, but I suspect the first one was and to find out, I`ll buy more.

Cheers,
Blake
Napolean Bonaparte

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1942 Post by Blake Brown »

Extracted from other notes to be posted in a few days:

NV AGRAPART & FILS TERRIORS BLANC de BLANCS EXTRA BRUT GRAND CRU- this is made of 100% Chardonnay sourced from 20–50-year-old grand cru vines in Avize, Oger, Cramant and Oiry {see map}; 40% 2014; 60% 2013 reserves aged in barrel for 6 months; disgorged 2 months prior to the release date; 5g/L dosage; unfined, unfiltered and hand riddled; this was very pretty with nice and easy offerings of minerals, chalk and saline infused lemon, lime, green apple and tangerine; I found it to be classy, light in weight, having lots of elegance and very enjoyable.

This house makes 3 non vintage cuvees:

7 Crus- their entry level wine made of 90% Chardonnay, 10% Pinot Noir; derived from 2 vintages and 7 villages; disgorged at 7 gpl

Terriors- see notes above for details

Complantee- a field blend of 6 varieties, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Pinot Meunier, Petit Meslier, Pinot Blanc and Arbane, all sourced from Avize; consists of 2 vintages; disgorged at 5 gpl

Cheers,
Blake
Napolean Bonaparte

JBrochu

#1943 Post by JBrochu »

Blake Brown wrote: March 17th, 2021, 9:35 am
JBrochu wrote: March 16th, 2021, 7:44 pm Thanks all. I bought a couple of bottles of the 2005 recently and look forward to trying one soon.
Feel free to share your impressions and any comparisons to other vintages of Comtes.
So my wife and I popped a 2005 tonight, and it is very nice. I can't compare it to other vintages, as this is our first Taittinger Comtes BdB. Although it certainly won't be our last.

It first seems delicate, with a mild breadiness on the nose with the breadiness repeating when it first hits the mouth, and then resolving to lemon with a mid-length finish. It's both creamy and energetic, and still seems youngish to me. And although the acid may be moderate, the wine is very nicely in balance. It mostly closely reminds me of 2000 Lanson Noble Cuvee BdB Brut, particularly when the Lanson was a little bit younger. (But I don't have a ton of experience with Champagnes to compare it to. But the 2000 Lanson, a wine I love, jumped immediately to mind.)
J@hn

MattG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1944 Post by MattG »

F69D6757-002D-4693-8ECB-4AC82FE246D6.jpeg
I’ve seen Warren talk about this before. Decided to open a bottle myself!
G@|’$1n

Mike Hawkins

#1945 Post by Mike Hawkins »

JBrochu wrote: March 19th, 2021, 3:56 pm
So my wife and I popped a 2005 tonight, and it is very nice. I can't compare it to other vintages, as this is our first Taittinger Comtes BdB. Although it certainly won't be our last.

It first seems delicate, with a mild breadiness on the nose with the breadiness repeating when it first hits the mouth, and then resolving to lemon with a mid-length finish. It's both creamy and energetic, and still seems youngish to me. And although the acid may be moderate, the wine is very nicely in balance. It mostly closely reminds me of 2000 Lanson Noble Cuvee BdB Brut, particularly when the Lanson was a little bit younger. (But I don't have a ton of experience with Champagnes to compare it to. But the 2000 Lanson, a wine I love, jumped immediately to mind.)
Glad you liked Comtes... my favourite wine. If you liked the 05, then all the other releases from that decade will knock your socks off.

As for the two you reference, they’re quite different wines - particularly with respect to the acid. Lanson as a rule, doesn’t go through malo ...at least for their vintage wines.... whereas Comtes does.

AD Northup
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#1946 Post by AD Northup »

2012 Marguet Les Crayeres
A n d r e w N o r t h u p

2021 WOTY Candidates:
1995 Charles Heidsieck Champagne Blanc des Millénaires

2020 WOTY:
2015 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Noirs La Presle (first RdJ)

2019 WOTY:
2005 Faja dos Padres Malvasia

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1947 Post by Blake Brown »

JBrochu wrote: March 19th, 2021, 3:56 pm

Nice notes and thanks for the post. They closely reflect what I also have gotten from the 05` Comtes and it will be interesting to seee how it compares to other vintges= something to look forward to.
Napolean Bonaparte

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1948 Post by Warren Taranow »

MattG wrote: March 19th, 2021, 5:45 pm F69D6757-002D-4693-8ECB-4AC82FE246D6.jpeg

I’ve seen Warren talk about this before. Decided to open a bottle myself!
Matt,

How was it? I haven't opened any Iteration 24 ('07, '06, '04) yet. I'll probably open one soon then bury the rest in the cellar. These need a lot of time.

Cheers,
Warren

CT - WST

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1949 Post by Warren Taranow »

AD Northup wrote: March 19th, 2021, 8:53 pm 2012 Marguet Les Crayeres
I had a bottle in my hand last night then switched to something else. How was it?

Cheers,
WT

CT - WST

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1950 Post by Warren Taranow »

Blake Brown wrote: March 18th, 2021, 11:45 am Extracted from other notes to be posted in a few days:

2012 PIERRE PETERS CUVEE SPECIAL LES CHETILLONS BLANC de BLANC GRAND CRU- I thoroughly enjoyed the first bottle I opened of this a couple of weeks ago {see notes above- #1882} and wanted to share it with our dinner group as I found it to be extra stellar, at least the first bottle was; this one was really good, but no where near the explosive, power laden beauty that preceded it; in so far as full on thrust, power, weight and depth is concerned, this one was the antithesis as it seemed to have more finesse, charm and elegance; both bottles were nicely balanced and featured nice citrus notes along with apple, pear and tropical fruit accented by a mild touch of ginger and brioche; I’m still loving this release, but the bottle variation is shocking and I’m not sure which one is the real deal, but I suspect the first one was and to find out, I`ll buy more.

Cheers,
Blake
Too soon! champagne.gif

CT - WST

Return to “Wine Talk”