Which Champagne are you drinking?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Which Champagne are you drinking?

#1851 Post by Ken Strauss »

Warren Taranow wrote: February 15th, 2021, 5:25 pm
Ken Strauss wrote: February 14th, 2021, 4:08 pm Rose on Valentines Day!
CCA59B99-6747-4E9E-BF69-1F1D4AE7C62D.jpeg
Bravo Ken. One of my favorite rosés.

Warren
We have been big fans of Egly Ouriet for many years but have never tasted the Rose.
The Rose was special! Will definitely be seeking more.

All my best!
Ken
"Explaining is not supporting."

"Independence is a state of mind"

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1852 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

Ken Strauss wrote: February 16th, 2021, 7:31 pm
Warren Taranow wrote: February 15th, 2021, 5:25 pm
Ken Strauss wrote: February 14th, 2021, 4:08 pm Rose on Valentines Day!
CCA59B99-6747-4E9E-BF69-1F1D4AE7C62D.jpeg
Bravo Ken. One of my favorite rosés.

Warren
We have been big fans of Egly Ouriet for many years but have never tasted the Rose.
The Rose was special! Will definitely be seeking more.

All my best!
Ken
My favorite NV rose champagne by a wide margin. Excellent standards like Vilmart, Billecart and Ployez-Jacquemart all end up alittle boring to me in comparison.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1853 Post by Blake Brown »

Another single bottle from a Valentine`s Day small gathering. The entire thread will be posted separately in Wine Talk in a day or so:

2008 LAURENT-PERRIER BRUT MILLESIME- Some of us had just had this wine 2 days before and it was stupendous, so I was elated to see it on this day; and it shined ever so brightly; some of my previous notes are applicable here with a minor edit: “when I first reviewed this champagne a few months ago, I mentioned that a couple of my champagne buddies around the globe had been encouraging me to try this one out claiming it is more ready than most of the other 2008 big boys that have been way too tight and ungiving early on such as Cristal, Dom and Taittinger Comtes; so, I bought some and each bottle has exuded elegance par excellence; of all of the lovely notes it sang, I kept coming back to its profound elegance; yes, it had really nice bright acidity with lemon zest, lime, apple and pear fruit, a tactilely pleasing creamy mousse and a palate cleansing finish, but the operative word here is ELEGANCE.” And now, plus one.

Cheers,
Blake
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1854 Post by Blake Brown »

Another single bottle from a Valentine`s Day small gathering. The entire thread will be posted separately in Wine Talk in a day or so:

2012 DELAMOTTE BLANC de BLANC BRUT- once again, we have a bottle I’m very familiar with and it gave consistent notes to past ones; 60% of the fruit sources for this comes from les Mesnil-sur-Oger, Ovize and Oger with 20% equal parts from each and the remainder of the fruit comes from Cramant, Chouilly and Oiry; this is the 4th bottle I've had recently and it is spectacular having such an inviting nose of fragrant yellow roses and stone fruit which on the palate more specifically included peach, apricot, pear, Golden Delicious apple and lemon; it had a wondrous creamy, honey like mouthfeel which served to enhanced the long, satisfying finish; this is marvelous bubbly now and has all of the structure to be great in the years to come. Since no 2012 Salon is to be made, I’m assuming most if not all of the fruit went into that part of the BdB that was not held back in reserve.

Cheers,
Blake
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1855 Post by alan weinberg »

Palmer & Co. Rosé Reserve. Nice. First time. Don’t know when disgorged.

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1856 Post by Blake Brown »

NV KRUG GRANDE CUVEE 168eme EDITION BRUT- ID 219019 which tells us that it is made of 52% Pinot Noir, 35% Chardonnay and 13% Pinot Meunier, was cellared for over 7 years and got its cork in December, 2019; it’s a blend of 198 wines from 11 different years, the youngest from the year 2012, while the oldest date was 1996; our bottle had a nice yellow gold color; on the nose, it gave honey and ginger infused peach, mango and citrus; the taste had more of the same plus golden delicious apple, lemon, orange peel and hazelnut; it had a lovely feel, was super rich and extremely fulfilling; this is one of my favs of the last 10 or so editions, 164 is my top choice.

Cheers,
Blake
Napolean Bonaparte

Andrew M
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1857 Post by Andrew M »

Blake Brown wrote: February 18th, 2021, 8:24 am Another single bottle from a Valentine`s Day small gathering. The entire thread will be posted separately in Wine Talk in a day or so:

NV KRUG GRANDE CUVEE 168eme EDITION BRUT- ID 219019 which tells us that it is made of 52% Pinot Noir, 35% Chardonnay and 13% Pinot Meunier, was cellared for over 7 years and got its cork in December, 2019; it’s a blend of 198 wines from 11 different years, the youngest from the year 2012, while the oldest date was 1996; our bottle had a nice yellow gold color; on the nose, it gave honey and ginger infused peach, mango and citrus; the taste had more of the same plus golden delicious apple, lemon, orange peel and hazelnut; it had a lovely feel, was super rich and extremely fulfilling; this is one of my favs of the last 10 or so editions, 164 is my top choice.

Cheers,
Blake
Give us the Bara note!! champagne.gif
M @ k $ ! m ø v ! ç

Sean S y d n e y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1858 Post by Sean S y d n e y »

Blake Brown wrote: February 17th, 2021, 7:53 am Another single bottle from a Valentine`s Day small gathering. The entire thread will be posted separately in Wine Talk in a day or so:

2012 DELAMOTTE BLANC de BLANC BRUT-
Cheers,
Blake
If you only had one bottle (and I do, I only have one), would you let it sit for a little while?
Instagram: @seansydney

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1859 Post by Blake Brown »

Sean S y d n e y wrote: February 18th, 2021, 10:34 am
Blake Brown wrote: February 17th, 2021, 7:53 am Another single bottle from a Valentine`s Day small gathering. The entire thread will be posted separately in Wine Talk in a day or so:

2012 DELAMOTTE BLANC de BLANC BRUT-
Cheers,
Blake
If you only had one bottle (and I do, I only have one), would you let it sit for a little while?
Yes, although it is really showing well now, if you have only one bottle, it is worth the wait as it will only get better. Actually, I'd buy more and drink some earlier, then later.
Napolean Bonaparte

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1860 Post by Blake Brown »

Another single bottle from a Valentine`s Day small gathering. The entire thread was just posted separately in Wine Talk:

2012 PAUL BARA SPECIAL CLUB FRAND CRU BRUT- 70% Pinot Noir, 30% Chardonnay from 35 year old vines; aged in bottle for 5 years before release, disgorgement November 2018 with a dosage 7 g/L this was loaded with generous amounts of fresh citrus fruit with lemon, lime, strawberry and green apple most notable; it had bright acidity, a very pleasant creamy mousse and left the palate cleaned and ready for whatever is to follow, in this case, some Krug.

Cheers,
Blake
Last edited by Blake Brown on February 18th, 2021, 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Napolean Bonaparte

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1861 Post by Blake Brown »

Andrew M wrote: February 18th, 2021, 10:32 am
Blake Brown wrote: February 18th, 2021, 8:24 am Another single bottle from a Valentine`s Day small gathering. The entire thread will be posted separately in Wine Talk in a day or so:

Cheers,
Blake
Give us the Bara note!! champagne.gif
Just posted separately and the entire thread.
Napolean Bonaparte

Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1862 Post by Ken Strauss »

Birthday Champagne!
This was actually an accident. I meant to bring Cristal 2004 Rose. I took the wrong bottle to dinner. It was dark and I said I can’t see any pink. Then I realized it wasn’t rose. Anyway the bottle was amazing!
A2EB8C65-E30C-4BC7-9840-1134949C08E0.jpeg

Larry G0ld3n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1863 Post by Larry G0ld3n »

Last night celebrated a very dear friend’s recovery with our 1st bottle of NV Palmer & Company Champagne Rose Reserve. Was blown away by its QPR. Rich, approachable and very enjoyable. Bubbles just perfect as well. Still have a few, looking for more.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1864 Post by alan weinberg »

Larry G0ld3n wrote: February 20th, 2021, 3:38 am Last night celebrated a very dear friend’s recovery with our 1st bottle of NV Palmer & Company Champagne Rose Reserve. Was blown away by its QPR. Rich, approachable and very enjoyable. Bubbles just perfect as well. Still have a few, looking for more.
I drank that this week over two nights and found it lean and a bit thin. So light in color I barely realized it to be a rosé. If I had more, they’d be yours.

Larry G0ld3n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1865 Post by Larry G0ld3n »

alan weinberg wrote: February 20th, 2021, 7:37 am
Larry G0ld3n wrote: February 20th, 2021, 3:38 am Last night celebrated a very dear friend’s recovery with our 1st bottle of NV Palmer & Company Champagne Rose Reserve. Was blown away by its QPR. Rich, approachable and very enjoyable. Bubbles just perfect as well. Still have a few, looking for more.
I drank that this week over two nights and found it lean and a bit thin. So light in color I barely realized it to be a rosé. If I had more, they’d be yours.
Uh oh, maybe my lack of recent bubbles clouded my judgment. Champagne starved. Going to try another bottle today to see what the real deal is. You could well be right – sorry I hope you’re not. Price on this was so good. Will let you know.

What are your thoughts on NV Charles Heidsieck Brut Rose Reserve? Have more than a few of these, very available here in Tampa.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1866 Post by alan weinberg »

Larry G0ld3n wrote: February 20th, 2021, 9:23 am
alan weinberg wrote: February 20th, 2021, 7:37 am
Uh oh, maybe my lack of recent bubbles clouded my judgment. Champagne starved. Going to try another bottle today to see what the real deal is. You could well be right – sorry I hope you’re not. Price on this was so good. Will let you know.

What are your thoughts on NV Charles Heidsieck Brut Rose Reserve? Have more than a few of these, very available here in Tampa.
haven’t had that. Hope I’m wrong and you enjoy the wine.

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1867 Post by Blake Brown »

NV CHAMPAGNE BOLLINGER PN VZ15- this is a relatively new product for Bollinger, the first new cuvee since the 2008 Rose.  It is made with 100% Pinot Noir with 50% coming from Verzenay in 2015; thus, the PN VZ15.  It also includes 20% reserve wines that were aged in magnums that go back to 2009 with fruit sourced from Boozy and Tauxieres.  Our bottle was disgorged in November of 2019 and dosed at 7 gpl; this is the 3rd bottle I’ve had with consistent notes; it gives generous amounts of nice red cherry/ berry fruit with underlying notes of stone fruit and brioche; it was super rich and full bodied with an amazing creamy mouthfeel; within 20-30 minutes, it was full blown and happy to be out of the bottle and enjoyed which was pretty easy to do with this wine.

Cheers,
Blake
Napolean Bonaparte

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1868 Post by Warren Taranow »

Blake Brown wrote: February 20th, 2021, 1:23 pm NV CHAMPAGNE BOLLINGER PN VZ15- this is a relatively new product for Bollinger, the first new cuvee since the 2008 Rose.  It is made with 100% Pinot Noir with 50% coming from Verzenay in 2015; thus, the PN VZ15.  It also includes 20% reserve wines that were aged in magnums that go back to 2009 with fruit sourced from Boozy and Tauxieres.  Our bottle was disgorged in November of 2019 and dosed at 7 gpl; this is the 3rd bottle I’ve had with consistent notes; it gives generous amounts of nice red cherry/ berry fruit with underlying notes of stone fruit and brioche; it was super rich and full bodied with an amazing creamy mouthfeel; within 20-30 minutes, it was full blown and happy to be out of the bottle and enjoyed which was pretty easy to do with this wine.

Cheers,
Blake
Cutting edge, Blake. Well done. I have a couple pending.
Cheers
Warren
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

EvanLodes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1869 Post by EvanLodes »

BdN study as serious meal wines, with rack of ribs: Bollinger PN-VZ-15, Eric Rodez 2008, and Chartogne-Taillet Les Barres BdN (2015 base). My first time trying this Bollinger after reading about it here so many times, and it did not disappoint - very rich with good length, but so powerful I would hesitate to drink it without food. The Rodez had significant notes of strawberry and continued to improve over more than an hour with air. The Les Barres BdN is interesting but too young IMO.

Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1870 Post by Ken Strauss »

7FFADA5E-06B0-4083-96D2-D9C890215FA5.jpeg

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1871 Post by Warren Taranow »

EvanLodes wrote: February 20th, 2021, 5:30 pm BdN study as serious meal wines, with rack of ribs: Bollinger PN-VZ-15, Eric Rodez 2008, and Chartogne-Taillet Les Barres BdN (2015 base). My first time trying this Bollinger after reading about it here so many times, and it did not disappoint - very rich with good length, but so powerful I would hesitate to drink it without food. The Rodez had significant notes of strawberry and continued to improve over more than an hour with air. The Les Barres BdN is interesting but too young IMO.
Evan,
That’s a great lineup. They can probably all use some more time.
Cheers
Warren

CT - WST

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1872 Post by alan weinberg »

Ken Strauss wrote: February 20th, 2021, 5:44 pm 7FFADA5E-06B0-4083-96D2-D9C890215FA5.jpeg
the rosé you posted on before or a regular 04? I opened 96 recently amd it was fabulous—no rush.

Dennis Atick
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#1873 Post by Dennis Atick »

Last night: 2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
(2017/2019)

I dig Laherte much lately. This is a very good Champagne, smacking with power right now. Needs some age to lose it's edge, will be great.

@decaturwinedude

Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1874 Post by Ken Strauss »

alan weinberg wrote: February 20th, 2021, 6:20 pm
Ken Strauss wrote: February 20th, 2021, 5:44 pm 7FFADA5E-06B0-4083-96D2-D9C890215FA5.jpeg
the rosé you posted on before or a regular 04? I opened 96 recently amd it was fabulous—no rush.
The 1st was a regular.
Both were fabulous.
Agree with no rush. Plenty of life ahead!

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1875 Post by Neal.Mollen »

Cross-posting with the "what did you open" thread: We had a bottle of Nathalie Falmet Champagne Tentation Rosée (2012) last night with some superb Indian food, and it was glorious. Breathing it in was like being saddled in a strawberry blanket. It was as richly and deeply colored as some beaujolais. Irresistible. I immediately went looking for more without success.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1876 Post by Blake Brown »

Warren Taranow wrote: February 20th, 2021, 6:19 pm
EvanLodes wrote: February 20th, 2021, 5:30 pm BdN study as serious meal wines, with rack of ribs: Bollinger PN-VZ-15, Eric Rodez 2008, and Chartogne-Taillet Les Barres BdN (2015 base). My first time trying this Bollinger after reading about it here so many times, and it did not disappoint - very rich with good length, but so powerful I would hesitate to drink it without food. The Rodez had significant notes of strawberry and continued to improve over more than an hour with air. The Les Barres BdN is interesting but too young IMO.
Evan,
That’s a great lineup. They can probably all use some more time.
Cheers
Warren
Agreed on both parts
Napolean Bonaparte

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1877 Post by Blake Brown »

2012 LOUIS ROEDERER BRUT- 70% Pinot Noir, 30% Chardonnay; over a year ago, a friend brought this to a dinner and I just had to get some after having already fallen in love with the 12` Rose; as with previous bottles, it`s very generous, giving nice spicy and toasty, mineral infused apple and citrus fruit, especially lemon zest; its round and seamless and has bright acidity, its in perfect balance and exudes class and elegance as it glides across the palate all the way to the back end.

Cheers,
Blake
Napolean Bonaparte

Sean S y d n e y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1878 Post by Sean S y d n e y »

Blake Brown wrote: February 21st, 2021, 8:22 am 2012 LOUIS ROEDERER BRUT- 70% Pinot Noir, 30% Chardonnay; over a year ago, a friend brought this to a dinner and I just had to get some after having already fallen in love with the 12` Rose; as with previous bottles, it`s very generous, giving nice spicy and toasty, mineral infused apple and citrus fruit, especially lemon zest; its round and seamless and has bright acidity, its in perfect balance and exudes class and elegance as it glides across the palate all the way to the back end.

Cheers,
Blake
The 2014 Rosé was already absolutely beautiful a couple weeks ago. Just so much elegance and depth.
Instagram: @seansydney

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1879 Post by Blake Brown »

Sean S y d n e y wrote: February 21st, 2021, 10:11 am
Blake Brown wrote: February 21st, 2021, 8:22 am 2012 LOUIS ROEDERER BRUT- 70% Pinot Noir, 30% Chardonnay; over a year ago, a friend brought this to a dinner and I just had to get some after having already fallen in love with the 12` Rose; as with previous bottles, it`s very generous, giving nice spicy and toasty, mineral infused apple and citrus fruit, especially lemon zest; its round and seamless and has bright acidity, its in perfect balance and exudes class and elegance as it glides across the palate all the way to the back end.

Cheers,
Blake
The 2014 Rosé was already absolutely beautiful a couple weeks ago. Just so much elegance and depth.
My FCB {faith, confidence and belief} is high for all things Roederer. Good to know about the 14` rose.
Napolean Bonaparte

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1880 Post by Warren Taranow »

Dennis Atick wrote: February 21st, 2021, 5:31 am Last night: 2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
(2017/2019)

I dig Laherte much lately. This is a very good Champagne, smacking with power right now. Needs some age to lose it's edge, will be great.

Dennis
I had a Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Brut Nature tonight that didn’t do it for me. I think that’s their entry level BdB. Austere and acidic to me. 2018 disgorgement, I was looking forward to it. I gave it plenty of time to warm and open up. It warmed up but I never warmed to it.
Cheers
Warren

CT - WST

melvinyeo

#1881 Post by melvinyeo »

Warren Taranow wrote: February 21st, 2021, 8:21 pm
Dennis Atick wrote: February 21st, 2021, 5:31 am Last night: 2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
(2017/2019)

Dennis
I had a Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Brut Nature tonight that didn’t do it for me. I think that’s their entry level BdB. Austere and acidic to me. 2018 disgorgement, I was looking forward to it. I gave it plenty of time to warm and open up. It warmed up but I never warmed to it.
Cheers
Warren
Had the same experience Warren, loved the Ultradition and Les Grandes Crayeres but the BdB Brut Nature didn't do it for me.

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1882 Post by Blake Brown »

2012 PIERRE PETERS CUVEE SPECIAL LES CHETILLONS BLANC de BLANC GRAND CRU- omg, the first time through this was a spiritual experience; I concluded the key words were "rich, creamy and righteous". Yes, it had honeyed apple, pear, lemon and papaya with accents of ginger and brioche, but it was its amazing fullness and texture that were the hallmarks; and then even more, it's in beautiful balance and in my limited exposure to 2012s, {I've had maybe 10} it's as good as any if not the best; this is Cristal kind of juice, but stands on its own.

Cheers,
Blake
Napolean Bonaparte

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1883 Post by Warren Taranow »

This is the first time in a long while I've had to search a couple of WB pages to find this thread. Let's get with it, folks!
I was thankfully able to visit my 89 yo mother in Boca Raton after over a year and a half separation. As a surgeon I was able to get vaccinated, as was she, so I felt safer making the trip.
We visited my favorite wine store in Delray; The Wine Wave on Atlantic. I picked up this wine amongst others. It's a new Champagne to me. I tend to drink the same champagnes, with little exploration these days. I have so many favorites, and ample stock, that delving into new producers holds little interest at the moment. Blah blah, now to the TN:

2009 Grongnet Champagne Special Club
The nose shows the generosity of the vintage more so than the palate. Great aromas of orange, lemon and warm biscuits. Similar on the palate, with ample acidity and mousse. It really needs to warm to allow the fruit to stand up to the tartness. Better to accompany a meal than as an aperitif.

Cheers,
Warren

CT - WST

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1884 Post by Blake Brown »

Extracted from a future thread in prep stage:

2008 CHARLES HEIDSIECK BRUT MILLESIME- 60% Pinot Noir, 40% Chardonnay; disgorged February 2019 with 8 gpl dosage; this was the 3rd of 3 bottles and the best one yet; following its yellow gold color, came aromas of fresh citrus fruit that continued on in the taste profile with accents of honey, orange zest, lemongrass and stone fruit; it had a lovely mousse, was full bodied, rich and delicious; Champagne Charlie would have been proud.

D36CDCCA-79B0-42F1-9404-44A1B7714058_1_201_a.jpeg
2006 TAITTINGER COMTES de CHAMPAGNE BLANC de BLANC BRUT- disgorged 9/16; this was another good bottle and it came from another member of our group, not me; it had a lovely creamy mousse and all of the toasty brioche and lemon zest expected plus so much more; it was beautifully balanced, it was super rich and full bodied and just exuded grace and charm while delivering consecutive waves of pleasure.

The obvious thing to do was to compare the 2 champagnes and it was very surprising to discover the 08` Charles Heidsieck held its own and for some including me, was as good if not better than the consensus top champagne of the decade.

B33727BE-B9A8-414D-A159-E80C27B8D5A2_1_201_a.jpeg
The obvious thing to do was to compare the 2 champagnes and it was very surprising to discover the 08` Charles Heidsieck held its own and for some including me, was as good if not better than the consensus champagne of the decade. Who would've thunk that?

Cheers,
Blake
Last edited by Blake Brown on February 27th, 2021, 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Napolean Bonaparte

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1885 Post by alan weinberg »

Blake Brown wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 8:28 am 2012 PIERRE PETERS CUVEE SPECIAL LES CHETILLONS BLANC de BLANC GRAND CRU- omg, the first time through this was a spiritual experience; I concluded the key words were "rich, creamy and righteous". Yes, it had honeyed apple, pear, lemon and papaya with accents of ginger and brioche, but it was its amazing fullness and texture that were the hallmarks; and then even more, it's in beautiful balance and in my limited exposure to 2012s, {I've had maybe 10} it's as good as any if not the best; this is Cristal kind of juice, but stands on its own.

Cheers,
Blake
good to hear. Not too young, huh?

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1886 Post by Blake Brown »

alan weinberg wrote: February 25th, 2021, 5:34 pm
Blake Brown wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 8:28 am 2012 PIERRE PETERS CUVEE SPECIAL LES CHETILLONS BLANC de BLANC GRAND CRU- omg, the first time through this was a spiritual experience; I concluded the key words were "rich, creamy and righteous". Yes, it had honeyed apple, pear, lemon and papaya with accents of ginger and brioche, but it was its amazing fullness and texture that were the hallmarks; and then even more, it's in beautiful balance and in my limited exposure to 2012s, {I've had maybe 10} it's as good as any if not the best; this is Cristal kind of juice, but stands on its own.

Cheers,
Blake
good to hear. Not too young, huh?
No, not too young and I went into to it expecting it to be so. I would think the bottle we had would be appreciated by all who tasted it. It's truly a standout wine.
Napolean Bonaparte

MattG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1887 Post by MattG »

Have a gift card and could pickup a bottle of Krug 168eme for $150 or 2007 BS cuvée Louis for $120. I haven’t tried, either before. Limited CT feedback on the BS. The cost difference is known, but the which will I enjoy more is unclear :) Curious if anyone here has thoughts on which to buy.
G@|’$1n

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1888 Post by Warren Taranow »

Blake Brown wrote: February 25th, 2021, 12:36 pm Extracted from a future thread in prep stage:

2008 CHARLES HEIDSIECK BRUT MILLESIME- 60% Pinot Noir, 40% Chardonnay; disgorged February 2019 with 8 gpl dosage; this was the 3rd of 3 bottles and the best one yet; following its yellow gold color, came aromas of fresh citrus fruit that continued on in the taste profile with accents of honey, orange zest, lemongrass and stone fruit; it had a lovely mousse, was full bodied, rich and delicious; Champagne Charlie would have been proud.

2006 TAITTINGER COMTES de CHAMPAGNE BLANC de BLANC BRUT- disgorged 9/16; this was another good bottle and it came from another member of our group, not me; it had a lovely creamy mousse and all of the toasty brioche and lemon zest expected plus so much more; it was beautifully balanced, had a creamy delicious mousse, was super rich and full bodied and just exuded grace and charm while delivering repetitious waves of pleasure.

The obvious thing to do was to compare the 2 champagnes and it was very surprising to discover the 08` Charles Heidsieck held its own and for some including me, was as good if not better than the consensus champagne of the decade. Who would've thunk that?

Cheers,
Blake
Blake
I’ve been a fan of Heidsieck’s Blanc de Millenaires for years. I haven’t ventured into their other offerings. Do you know offhand how they farm?
Cheers,
Warren

CT - WST

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1889 Post by Warren Taranow »

MattG wrote: February 27th, 2021, 8:41 am Have a gift card and could pickup a bottle of Krug 168eme for $150 or 2007 BS cuvée Louis for $120. I haven’t tried, either before. Limited CT feedback on the BS. The cost difference is known, but the which will I enjoy more is unclear :) Curious if anyone here has thoughts on which to buy.
Matt
I’m a big fan of both. They’re so different; one a single vintage BdB, the other a Pinot-heavy multi vintage blend based off one but blended with 11 other vintages. I’d only suggest the Billecart it you’re going to open it immediately and if you have a strong preference for 100% Chardonnay champagne. While the 168 is drinking well now, IMO you’d be wasting potential greatness by opening your only bottle now. Krug 168 is based off 2012, a much better vintage than 2007. The Krug has only 35% Chardonnay, the rest Pinot Noir and Meunier.
For my tastes, it would be an easy decision; Krug. I’d rather let the bottles of 168 age a while, but it’s still very nice now. I’ve been annihilating my 375’s with reckless abandon, but feeling a little guilty after each transgression!
Forgive me if my description of the differences were already known and you were just looking for a simple thumbs up or down.
Cheers
Warren
Last edited by Warren Taranow on February 27th, 2021, 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

CT - WST

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1890 Post by Blake Brown »

MattG wrote: February 27th, 2021, 8:41 am Have a gift card and could pickup a bottle of Krug 168eme for $150 or 2007 BS cuvée Louis for $120. I haven’t tried, either before. Limited CT feedback on the BS. The cost difference is known, but the which will I enjoy more is unclear :) Curious if anyone here has thoughts on which to buy.
Only your palate can answer that for you, but for me, it's an easy choice= Krug 168eme. It's fantastic as discovered in a recent bottle.
Napolean Bonaparte

MattG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1891 Post by MattG »

Thanks, Warren. I also recently bought a half case of the BS 2002 Cuvée Nicholas. I’ll use that as an intro to BS and pickup the Krug for the future.
G@|’$1n

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1892 Post by Blake Brown »

Warren Taranow wrote: February 27th, 2021, 8:47 am
Blake Brown wrote: February 25th, 2021, 12:36 pm Extracted from a future thread in prep stage:

2006 TAITTINGER COMTES de CHAMPAGNE BLANC de BLANC BRUT- disgorged 9/16; this was another good bottle and it came from another member of our group, not me; it had a lovely creamy mousse and all of the toasty brioche and lemon zest expected plus so much more; it was beautifully balanced, had a creamy delicious mousse, was super rich and full bodied and just exuded grace and charm while delivering repetitious waves of pleasure.

Cheers,
Blake
Blake
I’ve been a fan of Heidsieck’s Blanc de Millenaires for years. I haven’t ventured into their other offerings. Do you know offhand how they farm?
Cheers,
Warren
Sorry Warren, I'm not informed here, just another fan.
Napolean Bonaparte

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1893 Post by Warren Taranow »

MattG wrote: February 27th, 2021, 9:05 am Thanks, Warren. I also recently bought a half case of the BS 2002 Cuvée Nicholas. I’ll use that as an intro to BS and pickup the Krug for the future.
Matt
That’s a great score. The ‘02 Cuvèe Nicolas-François is a gorgeous wine, drinking beautifully right now. I wish I were sitting on a six pack. (Actually, I just check and I am!).
Definitely Krug.
Cheers
Warren

CT - WST

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1894 Post by Warren Taranow »

Blake Brown wrote: February 27th, 2021, 9:05 am

Cheers,
Blake
Blake
Cheers,
Warren
Dammit Blake, I’m feeling too lazy to google it myself!

CT - WST

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1895 Post by Blake Brown »

Warren Taranow wrote: February 27th, 2021, 9:12 am

Blake
Cheers,
Warren
Dammit Blake, I’m feeling too lazy to google it myself!
I started to, but passed- so I'll just wait for your research feedback. [bow.gif]
Napolean Bonaparte

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1896 Post by Warren Taranow »

Cheers,
Blake
Blake
Cheers,
Warren
From their website:

“A constant focus on conserving the lands and practices that protect the ecosystem has led to recognition of the House vineyards for its sustainable viticulture. It has also been certified of High Environmental Value.

Comprising 123 points, this programme is both demanding and complete, going from soil and vineyard nutrition, maintenance of the soil and management of the vines to waste management.”

Maybe FMlll with chime in; he’ll only buy from producers with impeccable farming practices. Come to think of it, he’s been quiet on this thread for a while.

Warren

CT - WST

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1897 Post by Blake Brown »

Warren Taranow wrote: February 27th, 2021, 9:24 am

Blake
Cheers,
Warren
From their website:

“A constant focus on conserving the lands and practices that protect the ecosystem has led to recognition of the House vineyards for its sustainable viticulture. It has also been certified of High Environmental Value.

Comprising 123 points, this programme is both demanding and complete, going from soil and vineyard nutrition, maintenance of the soil and management of the vines to waste management.”

Maybe FMlll with chime in; he’ll only buy from producers with impeccable farming practices. Come to think of it, he’s been quiet on this thread for a while.

Warren
Appreciate their commitment to support the best for the environmental. Thanks for the extra energy to look it up and pass it on.

Agreed, Frank has been missing and we're inviting him into this discussion. I need to reach out to him anyway for a trip to visit the OC gang.
Napolean Bonaparte

Brad Baker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1898 Post by Brad Baker »

Warren Taranow wrote: February 27th, 2021, 9:24 am

Blake
Cheers,
Warren
From their website:

Warren
The problem with Charles Heidsieck (and Piper too as they share thier land and production) is that they own very little of their own land. Together the two only have around 60-65ha of land which would result in a production of around 600,000-650,000 bottles per year. Together they make over 5 million bottles per year which means they buy in almost 90% of their needs. They do a good job with their own vineyards and try to purchase from well farmed land as much as they can, but until more things change in Champagne, it is hard to be a large negociant. The problem isn't the larger, more well known negociants themselves as they have responded well and made big changes to their own land/farming. It is having to buy from growers and co-ops who haven't yet made the change and may not unless they are forced or are disincentivized so much that they have to.
Brad Baker
The Champagne Warrior

Corey N.

#1899 Post by Corey N. »

This hasn't fully opened up, so the note may be adjusted...
  • 2014 Pierre Paillard Champagne Grand Cru Extra Brut Les Parcelles - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (2/27/2021)
    Expressive nose yielding aromas of red apple skin, red berries, yeast and lemon. On the palate, the red fruit takes the center stage, primarily tart red apple skin and pear, with a mineral streak in the midpalate and lemon comes out in the finish. Somewhat lean (a bit too much for my preference), with a refined mousse.

70% Pinot Noir/30% Chardonnay. Disgorged after 4 years on lees, less than 2 g/l dosage. For my palate, I've found that most low dosage Champagnes flesh out a bit with some aging and I will tuck away my remaining bottles for a couple years to maximize pleasure. Nice QPR. (91 pts.)
I'm with Corey on this. - Todd W.

Nøv¡¢k

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1900 Post by Warren Taranow »

Corey N. wrote: February 27th, 2021, 3:25 pm This hasn't fully opened up, so the note may be adjusted...
  • 2014 Pierre Paillard Champagne Grand Cru Extra Brut Les Parcelles - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (2/27/2021)
    Expressive nose yielding aromas of red apple skin, red berries, yeast and lemon. On the palate, the red fruit takes the center stage, primarily tart red apple skin and pear, with a mineral streak in the midpalate and lemon comes out in the finish. Somewhat lean (a bit too much for my preference), with a refined mousse.

70% Pinot Noir/30% Chardonnay. Disgorged after 4 years on lees, less than 2 g/l dosage. For my palate, I've found that most low dosage Champagnes flesh out a bit with some aging and I will tuck away my remaining bottles for a couple years to maximize pleasure. Nice QPR. (91 pts.)
Hi Corey
I haven’t had this yet, but I’ve had some champagnes lately that could’ve used a little more meat on the bones. Some seem to do extra brut well, but I think in other cases, the dosage pendulum may have swung too far for my taste. I think that may be a minority opinion on WB.
Cheers
Warren

CT - WST

Return to “Wine Talk”