Which Champagne are you drinking?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
MattG
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Which Champagne are you drinking?

#1801 Post by MattG »

Perseval Farge NV Cuvée Jean Baptiste

Strange. Yeasty flavor and sour apples. Reminds of the sparkling apple cider I was served as a kid. Off bottle? Or just the house style? Not a fan.
71435CAC-EAA2-4110-B789-4AAB7DA39C75.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
G@|’$1n

JoelD
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1802 Post by JoelD »

MattG wrote: February 6th, 2021, 7:35 pm Perseval Farge NV Cuvée Jean Baptiste

Strange. Yeasty flavor and sour apples. Reminds of the sparkling apple cider I was served as a kid. Off bottle? Or just the house style? Not a fan.

71435CAC-EAA2-4110-B789-4AAB7DA39C75.jpeg
Did you happen to buy this on Winebid? The one bottle I had was great. Looks like same bottling/disgorgement numbers. It did taste best with about an hour of air, and at about cellar temp. However I like both yeasty flavors and sour apples sometimes. As well as sparkling apple cider. Although I thought it was rich and well balanced.
D a v i d s o n

MattG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1803 Post by MattG »

JoelD wrote: February 6th, 2021, 7:49 pm
Did you happen to buy this on Winebid? The one bottle I had was great. Looks like same bottling/disgorgement numbers. It did taste best with about an hour of air, and at about cellar temp. However I like both yeasty flavors and sour apples sometimes. As well as sparkling apple cider. Although I thought it was rich and well balanced.
Yeah, two bottles from WineBid. One left. What I tasted did not come across as balanced or rich. The CT reviews are generally positive. I’m inclined to wait before opening the next bottle. Although the interesting experiment would be to open it tomorrow!
G@|’$1n

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1804 Post by Blake Brown »

Jim Stewart wrote: February 6th, 2021, 4:13 pm Billecart-Salmon Brut Reserve NV
Finishing the last glass as I write this. . .
What a delightful Champagne/wine! Balanced, nothing discordant. Lemon biscuit, spicy fruit (Pinot Meunier?), with smooth bubbles. Soft mouthfeel that glides down my throat. Thoroughly satisfying to me, and I think that it would also please most folks. Not a Champagne to ponder or to show off, but certainly one to be grateful for. About $50 +/-.
Similar experience Jim- thanks for the reminder.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

JoelD
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1805 Post by JoelD »

MattG wrote: February 6th, 2021, 8:35 pm
JoelD wrote: February 6th, 2021, 7:49 pm
Yeah, two bottles from WineBid. One left. What I tasted did not come across as balanced or rich. The CT reviews are generally positive. I’m inclined to wait before opening the next bottle. Although the interesting experiment would be to open it tomorrow!
I'll be curious to hear your report back whenever you do. I have 4-5 more bottles but they're still in storage. My first was one of the best champagnes I had in 2020. I'll of course do the same but it will be at least a month or two for me to try another.
D a v i d s o n

Yao C

#1806 Post by Yao C »

MV Jacques Selosse Substance
Disgorged 11/23/2016; poured a beautiful burnished gold; large scaled, vinous, but impeccably fresh flavors of citrus, toast, salty minerality, and a touch of exotic spice; long and substantial (as befits the name), aided by the subtle creaminess of the mousse, but finishes clean; threads the needle wonderfully between the stern and the louche; we like ours louche and will give the next bottle 5+ years; very good
C h 0 o n 6

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#1807 Post by Marcus Goodfellow »

Yao C wrote: February 7th, 2021, 3:11 pm MV Jacques Selosse Substance
Disgorged 11/23/2016; poured a beautiful burnished gold; large scaled, vinous, but impeccably fresh flavors of citrus, toast, salty minerality, and a touch of exotic spice; long and substantial (as befits the name), aided by the subtle creaminess of the mousse, but finishes clean; threads the needle wonderfully between the stern and the louche; we like ours louche and will give the next bottle 5+ years; very good
Nice note!
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Tomás Costa

#1808 Post by Tomás Costa »

I couldn't be happier with the Laherte Frères Extra Brut Ultradition at this price point. Complex - a pot pourri of bruised apple, minerality, brioche, a hint of vanilla, white flowers - deliciously rich, creamy yet fresh, scratched my itch with gusto.
IMG_20210211_203004.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IG: tomascosta6524

Jan Janas

#1809 Post by Jan Janas »

Tomás Costa wrote: February 11th, 2021, 9:17 pm I couldn't be happier with the Laherte Frères Extra Brut Ultradition at this price point. Complex - a pot pourri of bruised apple, minerality, brioche, a hint of vanilla, white flowers - deliciously rich, creamy yet fresh, scratched my itch with gusto.

IMG_20210211_203004.jpg
In Laherte we trust! Now it's time to try one of his Brut Natures. Another one you ought to try at this price point is Chartogne-Taillet Cuvee St. Anne.

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1810 Post by Blake Brown »

2008 LAURENT-PERRIER BRUT MILLESIME- when I first reviewed this champagne a few months ago, I mentioned that a couple of my champagne buddies around the globe had been encouraging me to try this one out claiming it is more ready than most of the other 2008 big boys that have been way too tight and ungiving early on such as Cristal, Dom and Taittinger Comtes; so, I bought some and this is the 3rd bottle from the stash and, like the others, it exuded elegance par excellence; of all of the lovely notes it sang, I kept coming back to its profound elegance; yes, it had really nice bright acidity with lemon zest, lime, apple and pear fruit, a tactilely pleasing creamy mousse and a palate cleansing finish, but the operative word here is ELEGANCE.

Cheers,
Blake
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1811 Post by CJ Beazley »

Jan Janas wrote: February 12th, 2021, 3:48 am
Tomás Costa wrote: February 11th, 2021, 9:17 pm I couldn't be happier with the Laherte Frères Extra Brut Ultradition at this price point. Complex - a pot pourri of bruised apple, minerality, brioche, a hint of vanilla, white flowers - deliciously rich, creamy yet fresh, scratched my itch with gusto.

IMG_20210211_203004.jpg
In Laherte we trust! Now it's time to try one of his Brut Natures. Another one you ought to try at this price point is Chartogne-Taillet Cuvee St. Anne.
That’s exactly what I did last weekend, it was all I was hoping for and more-plus a great qpr.
It's C(raig)

Andrew M
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1812 Post by Andrew M »

Blake Brown wrote: February 12th, 2021, 8:43 am 2008 LAURENT-PERRIER BRUT MILLESIME- when I first reviewed this champagne a few months ago, I mentioned that a couple of my champagne buddies around the globe had been encouraging me to try this one out claiming it is more ready than most of the other 2008 big boys that have been way too tight and ungiving early on such as Cristal, Dom and Taittinger Comtes; so, I bought some and this is the 3rd bottle from the stash and, like the others, it exuded elegance par excellence; of all of the lovely notes it sang, I kept coming back to its profound elegance; yes, it had really nice bright acidity with lemon zest, lime, apple and pear fruit, a tactilely pleasing creamy mousse and a palate cleansing finish, but the operative word here is ELEGANCE.

Cheers,
Blake
I’ve really been enjoying this bottle, mostly for the QPR. I won’t argue with the descriptor of “elegant”, I find it more dense and a little sweet, which is sometimes what you’re in the mood for. Still very fresh and bright, and open for drinking now. I think it makes for an excellent crowd pleaser, and I’m up to 6 bottles at an average cost of around $43 all-in after wine.com coupons and cash back offers, which I think is pretty remarkable for this champagne. I’ll probably end up with 4-6 more before I call it quits.
M @ k $ ! m ø v ! ç

Tomás Costa

#1813 Post by Tomás Costa »

IMG_20210211_203004.jpg
The importer I bought this from carries a good chunk of Laherte's lineup: the BdB Brut Nature, Rosé de Meunier Extra Brut, BdB Grand Cru and Les grandes crayères. I was wondering if these are up a quality notch in the same proportion as the price increase.

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1814 Post by Blake Brown »

Andrew M wrote: February 12th, 2021, 9:30 am
Blake Brown wrote: February 12th, 2021, 8:43 am 2008 LAURENT-PERRIER BRUT MILLESIME- when I first reviewed this champagne a few months ago, I mentioned that a couple of my champagne buddies around the globe had been encouraging me to try this one out claiming it is more ready than most of the other 2008 big boys that have been way too tight and ungiving early on such as Cristal, Dom and Taittinger Comtes; so, I bought some and this is the 3rd bottle from the stash and, like the others, it exuded elegance par excellence; of all of the lovely notes it sang, I kept coming back to its profound elegance; yes, it had really nice bright acidity with lemon zest, lime, apple and pear fruit, a tactilely pleasing creamy mousse and a palate cleansing finish, but the operative word here is ELEGANCE.

Cheers,
Blake
I’ve really been enjoying this bottle, mostly for the QPR. I won’t argue with the descriptor of “elegant”, I find it more dense and a little sweet, which is sometimes what you’re in the mood for. Still very fresh and bright, and open for drinking now. I think it makes for an excellent crowd pleaser, and I’m up to 6 bottles at an average cost of around $43 all-in after wine.com coupons and cash back offers, which I think is pretty remarkable for this champagne. I’ll probably end up with 4-6 more before I call it quits.
Thanks for your feedback Andrew and to be clear for those who may opt for it, we have a different opinion as to sweetness. I'm a fan of No dosage or Extra Brut and rarely enjoy bubbly that has perceptible sweetness and found none or very little in this or any of the other 2 bottles tasted, in fact, 4 others chimed in with a similar impression although that was not necessary to solidify my perception.
Napolean Bonaparte

Jan Janas

#1815 Post by Jan Janas »

Tomás Costa wrote: February 12th, 2021, 9:36 am

IMG_20210211_203004.jpg
The importer I bought this from carries a good chunk of Laherte's lineup: the BdB Brut Nature, Rosé de Meunier Extra Brut, BdB Grand Cru and Les grandes crayères. I was wondering if these are up a quality notch in the same proportion as the price increase.
When it comes to Laherte I wouldn't fret it. I had the Blanc de Blanc Brut Nature and the price is fully warranted. There are many posts and notes about it, one with the most recent disgorgement, which raves about it. Nothing austere about it too so it won't be too much a departure from your palate. Judging from his aptitude for Meunier, I am very confident the Rose de Meunier Brut Nature is a cracker too. I haven't gone higher in his portfolio but I would love to and the prices I see around here in Australia for his top cuvees are lower than many other's base wines (Egly Ouriet for example).

Steve Nordhoff
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#1816 Post by Steve Nordhoff »

2009 Agrapart Venus. First time with this bottling. Scents of graphite, lemon and yellow fruits. On the palate, yellow plums, citrus and minerality. Superb concentration and length. A wonderful bottle that lived up to the billing.
ITB -Riverain Vineyards

melvinyeo

#1817 Post by melvinyeo »

Tomás Costa wrote: February 12th, 2021, 9:36 am

IMG_20210211_203004.jpg

I love Laherte as well but the pricing here is such that there is a $20 increment from the Ultradition to BdB Brut Nature and to Les Grandes Crayeres. Found that the first and the last were superb values for the price point but wasn't so sure about the Bdb Brut Nature.

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1818 Post by Warren Taranow »

Steve Nordhoff wrote: February 12th, 2021, 9:21 pm 2009 Agrapart Venus. First time with this bottling. Scents of graphite, lemon and yellow fruits. On the palate, yellow plums, citrus and minerality. Superb concentration and length. A wonderful bottle that lived up to the billing.
Steve,
I love that wine. In general, I passed on too many '09s in favor of '08s, and wish I had split the two vintages evenly.
Cheers,
Warren
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

Corey N.

#1819 Post by Corey N. »

I've been drinking some Louis Nicaise recently. The base wine shows nice potential; I look forward to re-tasting in 2-3 years.
  • NV Louis Nicaise Champagne Premier Cru Brut Réserve - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru (2/12/2021)
    Yellow fruits, brioche and a pronounced mineral streak. Copious amounts of tiny bubbles and a pleasing acidity. Good concentration and length. Nice QPR. 7g/L dosage but no noticeable sugar. Disgorged 4/28/2020. Best to let this sleep another 12-24 months before checking in. (88 pts.)
I'm with Corey on this. - Todd W.

Nøv¡¢k

MattG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1820 Post by MattG »

Larmandier Bernier Latitude

On opening, everything is subdued: dry, but balanced. After about 30 min open, I start to taste subtle fruit: crisp apple. Overall, more dry than fruit driven, but everything is integrated well. I may prefer the Delamotte BdB at this price.
DEAA4C94-12E2-420B-985D-39197B3EE118.jpeg
G@|’$1n

Andrew Heger

#1821 Post by Andrew Heger »

2007 Comtes. Bought in December for $110/each. Have consumed three since. Cannot remember enjoying a $110 retail wine purchase this much this fast maybe ever.
One of the three bottles was side by side with the '08 Comtes and a Dom Perignon '06. For current pleasure, it was the winner. Sure, the '08 is going to end up being one of the all-time greats, but it's also $190ish and tight AF right now.

2008 Billecart Extra Brut (found for $80 in December) has also been a very pleasant surprise.

Steve Nordhoff
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#1822 Post by Steve Nordhoff »

Warren Taranow wrote: February 12th, 2021, 11:09 pm
Steve Nordhoff wrote: February 12th, 2021, 9:21 pm 2009 Agrapart Venus. First time with this bottling. Scents of graphite, lemon and yellow fruits. On the palate, yellow plums, citrus and minerality. Superb concentration and length. A wonderful bottle that lived up to the billing.
Steve,
I love that wine. In general, I passed on too many '09s in favor of '08s, and wish I had split the two vintages evenly.
Cheers,
Warren
Great back to back years but for different reasons. Many 2009’s have been fantastic.
ITB -Riverain Vineyards

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1823 Post by alan weinberg »

96 Cristal was stunning last night.

Phil T r o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1824 Post by Phil T r o t t e r »

Corey N. wrote: February 13th, 2021, 11:49 am I've been drinking some Louis Nicaise recently. The base wine shows nice potential; I look forward to re-tasting in 2-3 years.
This cuvée is a nice QPR. It's one of the cheapest Champagne we can find around here and it is enjoyable. At the same price (2 bucks more), I found his rosé NV to be better and went through quite a few of them. It's not very complex but it shows a nice purity of fruit. I only tried the Cuvée Louis par Laure once (2011 vintage, disgorged in 03-2018 and drunk in 2019). I found it too acidic overtaking everything else in the wine. Probably too young.

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1825 Post by Blake Brown »

alan weinberg wrote: February 14th, 2021, 9:16 am 96 Cristal was stunning last night.
Nice. Happy you had a good bottle.
Napolean Bonaparte

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1826 Post by alan weinberg »

Blake Brown wrote: February 14th, 2021, 12:22 pm
alan weinberg wrote: February 14th, 2021, 9:16 am 96 Cristal was stunning last night.
are there bad bottles?

Jud Reis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1827 Post by Jud Reis »

2009 Gimmonet Blanc de Blancs Fleuron - From magnum. Green apple, limestone and a touch of honey on the nose. Pretty sharp green apple and racy acidity on the palate with just a hint of that honey sweetness on the finish. While I like it for its youthful crispness today, I think some more bottle age in this format would help it mellow a bit and pick up some more complexity.

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1828 Post by Jim Stewart »

NV Louis Roederer "Brut Premier". Another champagne that I have come to enjoy over the past couple of years. Brisk opening with bubbles enlivening the front upper palate, smooth mouthfeel of mineral and chalk and fruit that alternates between slightly sweet and slightly tart (green apple?). Aftertaste is leesy fruit fading to chalk. Disgorged 2017 and 2014 vintage dominant.
roederer.jpg
P.S. When Champagne becomes more for "any day" and not just for celebrating occasions, something is gained, but also lost. I felt a bit of an underperformer wishing my wife a Happy Valentine's day with our first glass this evening with our weekly cheese plate. What kind of "special occasion" wine is that I imagined her thinking?!
P.P.S. I habitually step outside to open the bottle and let the cork fly. The height of the cork's flight from this bottle was very impressive.
Age merely shows what children we remain.
-Goethe

But I've just noticed that my mind is asleep.
-Rimbaud

He's a wino, tried and true
-Guy Clark

Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1829 Post by Ken Strauss »

Rose on Valentines Day!
CCA59B99-6747-4E9E-BF69-1F1D4AE7C62D.jpeg
"Explaining is not supporting."

"Independence is a state of mind"

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

#1830 Post by Richard T r i m p i »

1999 Pol Roger Extra Cuvee de Reserve Brut

Who needs all those bubbles when the wine finishes beautifully. Enjoyed the 1996 several years ago...but this one raises the bar. Nice payoff for patience.

RT

Phil T r o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1831 Post by Phil T r o t t e r »

Laherte BdB Brut Nature after hearing so many positive comments on WB. Good. Nice nose with white fruits, pâtisserie and some chalkiness. The palate surprised me with good vinosity; nicely dry, the fruit is slightly missing but we get a lot of brioche, a hint of oxy and a noble bitterness on the finish. For a March 2020 disgorgement it shows a lot of depth.

Lowell C

#1832 Post by Lowell C »

I had a bottle or Dom Perignon 2008 yesterday and it was fantastic! It's hard to even describe what it tasted like, it was just really rich and delicious.
C o c h r a n e

Corey N.

#1833 Post by Corey N. »

Lowell C wrote: February 14th, 2021, 7:02 pm I had a bottle or Dom Perignon 2008 yesterday and it was fantastic! It's hard to even describe what it tasted like, it was just really rich and delicious.
Six months ago, I found it painfully young. YMMV.
I'm with Corey on this. - Todd W.

Nøv¡¢k

JBrochu

#1834 Post by JBrochu »

Today we had a Jacques Robin NV Topaze, a blanc de blancs from Côte des Bar. It was very nice; lean, clean and refreshing.
J@hn

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1835 Post by alan weinberg »

Lowell C wrote: February 14th, 2021, 7:02 pm I had a bottle or Dom Perignon 2008 yesterday and it was fantastic! It's hard to even describe what it tasted like, it was just really rich and delicious.
it’s been slammed shut—interesting.

Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1836 Post by Ken Strauss »

Nice that you enjoyed it!
That’s all that matters.

Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1837 Post by Ken Strauss »

Corey N. wrote: February 14th, 2021, 7:19 pm
Six months ago, I found it painfully young. YMMV.
6 months is 1/2 a year!

champagne.gif champagne.gif champagne.gif

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1838 Post by Blake Brown »

alan weinberg wrote: February 14th, 2021, 12:44 pm
Blake Brown wrote: February 14th, 2021, 12:22 pm
are there bad bottles?
Had one of 3 last year. Hoping for an anomaly.
Napolean Bonaparte

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1839 Post by Blake Brown »

Extracted from a thread just posted:

An anomalous 06` Comtes:

2006 TAITTINGER COMTES de CHAMPAGNE BLANC de BLANC- I’ve lost count of the number of bottles I`ve had of this fine bubbly, but it approximates 50 including magnums; the vast majority of the bottles were spectacular and similar in almost every aspect, but a couple were not and this was one of them; it seemed a bit tight and closed although on its own and in a blind format, I would have been quite pleased to have had it; compared to most other bottles, this was very understated with milder aromas and tastes and devoid of the toasty brioche character so many have had; the latter point suggests this bottle came from a more recent additional buy I made and possibly from a newer released batch where the Maillard reaction has yet to occur; I should have kept them separate and stored them accordingly; lesson learned; back to this bottle- it had mellow lemon and lime notes with some green apple and a light, frothy mouse plus an underlying hint of chalk and saline; there was more emphasis on elegance and charm and less on being full and rich; actually, it was very similar to an 08` Laurent-Perrier drank a couple of days prior and that was a really good champagne, just not in the same league as the best of the Comtes 06`s.

Cheers,
Blake
Napolean Bonaparte

jtfriedman

#1840 Post by jtfriedman »

Had a cool bottle this weekend. My local shop, Domaine LA, did a one-time collaboration with grower-producer Bonnet-Ponson. 4 years on lees, recently disgorged (fall 2020). $55 and stupid delicious. Rich and electric at the same time, just insane balance. Poached orchard fruits, a touch vanilla pastry cream, meyer lemon. After having a bottle of Moet Imperial and Ruinart Blanc de Blancs last week (both boring as sin), I'm reminded where the value in Champagne lies.
JT Friedman
---
Wine Specialist, Heritage Auctions

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1841 Post by Warren Taranow »

Ken Strauss wrote: February 14th, 2021, 4:08 pm Rose on Valentines Day!
CCA59B99-6747-4E9E-BF69-1F1D4AE7C62D.jpeg
Bravo Ken. One of my favorite rosés.

Warren

CT - WST

Tomás Costa

#1842 Post by Tomás Costa »

IMG_20210215_202220.jpg
Another tasty entry level champagne, the Cuvée Royále from Joseph Perrier. Very mineral and herbaceous, with just a hint of golden apples, gentle mousse and refreshing, cutting acidity. Fairly long finish. Nothing to philosophize over, but still, yum.

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#1843 Post by Marcus Goodfellow »

624F2D73-4819-48E4-93BC-578A4CEA36EA.jpeg
Very interesting wine, and quite enjoyable. Brut Nature from the 2000 vintage mixed with wines from 99, 98, 97, and 96, disgorged in 2016. All from Les Crayons, 50% Chardonnay and 50% Pinot Noir.

Excellent wine, a touch stern from the non-dosage but I like that. Very mineral, aged into a dry golden array of flavors. Straw and stone.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#1844 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

1B0320F9-818E-4DB3-B3EB-4B48179E1B1F.jpeg
Very young and bright the first night, but still showing fruit. We had one glass left for tonight, and it was deeper, more wine-y.

2013 edition, disgorged in 2016.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1845 Post by Warren Taranow »

45A1F8E5-452A-44ED-8092-C75ACE6CFE71.jpeg
Another beauty. This might never shut down.

CT - WST

Bruce Rudman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1846 Post by Bruce Rudman »

VD Day, opened two Krug's. 165eme and 163eme. Not side by side, but I think I liked the 165 a bit more.
Bruce

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1847 Post by Blake Brown »

I'm posting single bottles from a Valentine`s Day small gathering and the entire thread separately in Wine Talk in a few days:

1990 VEUVE CLICQUOT BRUT ROSE RESERVE in magnum- this was the last of 6 mags purchased way back along with more 750s and it was an oxidized 750 I opened a few months ago that gave me pause as to the viability of this bottle; no problem, it was stellar; in fact, the red copper color was close to the initial color and the mature red cherry dominated the aromas and fruit in the taste profile along with mild accents of clove, smoke, and spice; this was advanced enough to suggest it was just on the border of being good heading toward not as much, so it’s 31 year life span had reached its apogee and we were blessed with some righteous juice here.

Cheers,
Blake
Napolean Bonaparte

JoelD
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1848 Post by JoelD »

Blake Brown wrote: February 16th, 2021, 8:22 am I'm posting single bottles from a Valentine`s Day small gathering and the entire thread separately in Wine Talk in a few days:

1990 VEUVE CLICQUOT BRUT ROSE RESERVE in magnum- this was the last of 6 mags purchased way back along with more 750s and it was an oxidized 750 I opened a few months ago that gave me pause as to the viability of this bottle; no problem, it was stellar; in fact, the red copper color was close to the initial color and the mature red cherry dominated the aromas and fruit in the taste profile along with mild accents of clove, smoke, and spice; this was advanced enough to suggest it was just on the border of being good heading toward not as much, so it’s 31 year life span had reached its apogee and we were blessed with some righteous juice here.

Cheers,
Blake
That looks great Blake. I was lucky enough to have a good 750 of the regular Brut Reserve 1990 around Christmas. Was a great aged champagne.
D a v i d s o n

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1849 Post by Blake Brown »

JoelD wrote: February 16th, 2021, 8:28 am
Blake Brown wrote: February 16th, 2021, 8:22 am I'm posting single bottles from a Valentine`s Day small gathering and the entire thread separately in Wine Talk in a few days:

Cheers,
Blake
That looks great Blake. I was lucky enough to have a good 750 of the regular Brut Reserve 1990 around Christmas. Was a great aged champagne.
It was great Joe and it brought back so many wonderful memories of other times this got shared over the years.
Napolean Bonaparte

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1850 Post by Blake Brown »

Another single bottle from a Valentine`s Day small gathering. The entire thread will be posted separately in Wine Talk in a few days:

NV BILLECART-SALMON BRUT ROSE in magnum- this was nicely fruity with loads of red cherry, strawberry and red raspberry and another great example of the more recent style of this fine rose; I’ve alluded to questioning the house abut a style change and once again include it here as a FYI: “in the last couple of years, the house seems to have stepped up the fruit profile to a more expressive, fuller and richer style and there is definitely more red cherry as opposed to the milder raspberry and strawberry notes IMHO; in response to my questioning of the house about this, they responded “we use more and more wines done with Grand Cru grapes, and probably also due to the global warming bringing more richness in the wines”.  As to the difference in the fruit profile, they replied “the cellar master and I both think that it is still pretty much on ripe strawberries and raspberries, but it also depends very much at what temperature you drink it, Ideally, around 9/10 °C.” I typically drink champagnes in the 8-12 range {45-53 F}.

Cheers,
Blake
Napolean Bonaparte

Return to “Wine Talk”