GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Which Champagne are you drinking?

#1451 Post by Blake Brown » September 6th, 2020, 8:30 am

Warren Taranow wrote:
September 5th, 2020, 7:29 pm
Blake Brown wrote:
September 5th, 2020, 5:54 pm
1995 de VENOGE BRUT LOUIS XV- packaged in a spectacular clear glass bottle, this is a 50% blend of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir sourced from numerous Grand Cru plots...

Cheers,
Blake
Blake,
I went through a half dozen of the 1996’s I bought from Envoyer for $89.99 in 2017. I thought they were amazing for the price, but not for the current rates. The “I Dream of Jeannie” crystal bottle was cool, but hard to store. I think I kept an empty as a bud vase.
Cheers,
Warren
Very cool Warren. What kind of bud are you growing here?
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1452 Post by Blake Brown » September 6th, 2020, 8:34 am

Al Osterheld wrote:
September 5th, 2020, 6:13 pm
Probably got that at Total Wine? They carry tons of de Venoge, haven't tried one (dual suspicions for TW selection and the fancy bottles).

-Al
I had to look up the source and it was from Envoyer at $130 which is also what I paid for the 96`. This bottle was worth it.
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1453 Post by Blake Brown » September 6th, 2020, 9:01 am

Blake Brown wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 8:34 am
Al Osterheld wrote:
September 5th, 2020, 6:13 pm
haven't tried one (dual suspicions for TW selection and the fancy bottles).

-Al
BTW Al, I had the same thought when I first saw the bottle and silently claimed it to be just another pretty face, but the guys in my favorite wine shop in Amsterdam, Charbot, assured me it was a good bubbly and tasted me on a younger version that was really good so I opted for some and drank them all during a 3 week visit and have been using this release as my go to top champagne along with some older Doms when there.
Napolean Bonaparte

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1454 Post by Blake Brown » September 6th, 2020, 11:19 am

Extracted from a forthcoming thread:

2012 POL ROGER BRUT- blend of 60% Pinot Noir and 40% Chardonnay from 20 Grands and Premiers crus vineyards in the Montagne de Reims and the Côte des Blancs; it was aged for 7 years, disgorged 10/18 and dosed at 7 gpl; this is the 2nd bottle of 2 I bought to check it out {along with the Brut Rose} and both have been consistently fantastic with a pale golden color, inviting aromatics of spicy fruit especially ripe citrus notes which on the palate became lemon, lime, apple and pear with accents of ginger and spice; it is super rich and creamy, full bodied and generous, yet has finesse with lots of charm and all of this is at this tender age of 8.

Cheers,
Blake
Attachments
4DA3FF81-7A5D-4223-BFF2-CD0D4470FCAC_1_201_a.jpeg
Napolean Bonaparte

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1455 Post by Neal.Mollen » September 6th, 2020, 11:45 am

Blake Brown wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 11:19 am

2012 POL ROGER BRUT- blend of 60% Pinot Noir and 40% Chardonnay from 20 Grands and Premiers crus vineyards in the Montagne de Reims and the Côte des Blancs; it was aged for 7 years, disgorged 10/18 and dosed at 7 gpl; this is the 2nd bottle of 2 I bought to check it out {along with the Brut Rose} and both have been consistently fantastic with a pale golden color, inviting aromatics of spicy fruit especially ripe citrus notes which on the palate became lemon, lime, apple and pear with accents of ginger and spice; it is super rich and creamy, full bodied and generous, yet has finesse with lots of charm and all of this is at this tender age of 8.

Cheers,
Blake
Good to hear; I bought a few.

We had a Vilmart Rubis last night and honestly it seemed a little lifeless. I mean there were bubbles a plenty but the wine itself lacked its usual energy. Maybe it was the drinker and not the drink
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1456 Post by Blake Brown » September 6th, 2020, 1:00 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 11:45 am
Blake Brown wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 11:19 am

Cheers,
Blake
Good to hear; I bought a few.

We had a Vilmart Rubis last night and honestly it seemed a little lifeless. I mean there were bubbles a plenty but the wine itself lacked its usual energy. Maybe it was the drinker and not the drink
Neal, I've had some Rubis that I thought underperformed after having a good bottle from the same batch and after your feedback, I'm thinking that wine perhaps goes through some peaks and valleys like many still wines do.
Napolean Bonaparte

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1457 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » September 10th, 2020, 12:34 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
August 9th, 2020, 10:25 am
2007 Bollinger Champagne La Grande Année Rosé
NV Marc Hébrart Champagne Premier Cru Brut Rosé - 2 bottles

Sarah, how were these two, in particular?
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

Sarah Kirschbaum

#1458 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » September 10th, 2020, 4:45 am

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 12:34 am
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
August 9th, 2020, 10:25 am
2007 Bollinger Champagne La Grande Année Rosé
NV Marc Hébrart Champagne Premier Cru Brut Rosé - 2 bottles

Sarah, how were these two, in particular?
This bottle of Hebrart (we've had 8 in 2020 so far) was good, a little leaner and more citrus driven than previous bottles. Here is a recent thread with some discussion of the wine, and bottle variation I've experienced:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=166877&p=3031931&hi ... t#p3031931

I think our overall evaluation is that it is a good rose champagne that is easy to drink, not terribly complex or deep or demanding, with good energy and balance. It's a nice work horse in the cellar. One bottle had glimpses of being more than just good, so perhaps some more sit time is in order? At $35, which seems to be Envoyer's sale price on Valentine's Day, it's a very good value. At $39.99, the every day price, slightly less so, especially when you add shipping on top. But I don't currently have another rose in that price range that I like better or that does that particular job as well, so I will probably reload when the next sale comes up.

The 2007 Bollinger rose was eyebrow raising good, partly because I didn't know what to expect from it. Great body, drive, depth without being heavy at all. I liked the breadth as well. A very engaging wine texture-wise, kind of lip smacking. I loved it. Serious and friendly at the same time. It was an exuberant, happy wine to drink. I have "better" more serious roses in the cellar, but having found this at a good price, I wish I'd loaded up. My gut says it's more of a next-5-years wine than 10 or 15, which is fine with me.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1459 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » September 10th, 2020, 11:09 am

Thanks, Sarah! And as soon as you mentioned "bottle variation" w/r/t the Hebrart, I remembered having seen that thread; upon closer inspection, I actually *participated* in that thread! My apologies for my bad memory. And that's great to hear about the Bollinger. I asked because a few months ago a friend shared one with a group of which I was a part and it really blew my hair back --- ever since, it's a bottling I've been curious about, particularly its consistency; given that it's from a big house, I suppose I should expect pretty consistent quality from year to year, but I hate making assumptions; I actually have a couple of the '12 pending.
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

Phil T r o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1460 Post by Phil T r o t t e r » September 10th, 2020, 11:41 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 4:45 am
But I don't currently have another rose in that price range that I like better or that does that particular job as well, so I will probably reload when the next sale comes up.
Hi Sarah, I'm not sure how the prices compare in the states but one of our "everyday" rosé here is the Louis Nicaise Brut Rosé NV 1er Cru (fresh, tight, field stawberries and decent length). It drinks wonderfully when young. Not sure I would let sit more than 5 to 7 years post disgorgement but that is not our intent either. If ever you try it, let me know if our tastes align :)

The step up in our lineup is the Fleury Rosé de Saignée Brut.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#1461 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » September 10th, 2020, 12:45 pm

September 10th, 2020, 11:09 am
Thanks, Sarah! And as soon as you mentioned "bottle variation" w/r/t the Hebrart, I remembered having seen that thread; upon closer inspection, I actually *participated* in that thread! My apologies for my bad memory. And that's great to hear about the Bollinger. I asked because a few months ago a friend shared one with a group of which I was a part and it really blew my hair back --- ever since, it's a bottling I've been curious about, particularly its consistency; given that it's from a big house, I suppose I should expect pretty consistent quality from year to year, but I hate making assumptions; I actually have a couple of the '12 pending.
Sure thing, Brian. I was really happy with the 2007 Bollinger GA rose. I have less experience with the rose, and wasn't sure if the aging issues (these may now have been addressed) would carry over. In any case, it hardly matters as I'm sure we'll drink our case - that was our first bottle - well before any deterioration occurs. I'm sure the '12 is beautiful as well.

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1462 Post by Blake Brown » September 10th, 2020, 12:46 pm

BOLLINGER PN VZ15- see dedicate thread for details
Attachments
5B742B59-73AA-476E-BDAB-E65B3B9AF850_1_201_a.jpeg
Napolean Bonaparte

Sarah Kirschbaum

#1463 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » September 10th, 2020, 12:50 pm

Phil T r o t t e r wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 11:41 am
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 4:45 am
But I don't currently have another rose in that price range that I like better or that does that particular job as well, so I will probably reload when the next sale comes up.
Hi Sarah, I'm not sure how the prices compare in the states but one of our "everyday" rosé here is the Louis Nicaise Brut Rosé NV 1er Cru (fresh, tight, field stawberries and decent length). It drinks wonderfully when young. Not sure I would let sit more than 5 to 7 years post disgorgement but that is not our intent either. If ever you try it, let me know if our tastes align :)

The step up in our lineup is the Fleury Rosé de Saignée Brut.
Thanks, Phil. I'm not familiar with the Louis Nicaise and will keep an eye out for it. Our "house" rose is Egly-Ouriet, which sounds a little show-offy until you know we lucked into a bunch of it at a great price back a few years when EUR was practically at parity. The only thing to crow about is that we were smart enough - or reckless enough! - to say "give us all you've got." But since Egly can't be replaced at anything near that price any longer, we're always happy to have a less pricey defender.

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#1464 Post by Merrill Lindquist » September 12th, 2020, 1:38 pm

Champagne Miniere Absolu Blanc de Blancs. First time around with this one, and it is a stunner. Sweet pear on the nose, following to the palate. Crisp, clear, clean...if those descriptors convey anything to you. Glad I have more.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1465 Post by Warren Taranow » September 12th, 2020, 6:14 pm

2008 Dom Pérignon Champagne
I had drunk a lot of these upon release, then felt they shut down a year or two ago. My last bottle in November, while fantastic, was still somewhat reticent. Not so this bottle. The verve, the creamy lemon and orange, the sweet brioche, the mineral oyster shells, the beautiful mouthfeel, the long finish and the perfect bead; yes!!! How do they do this with such high production volumes?
I’m not sure what to make of the run of bottles a couple of years ago whose opening in youth seemed wasteful. I don’t think a wine can shut down then blossom over a 24 month period. While this is no where near my preferred point in its maturity curve, that fact won’t stop me from opening some of my stash with some regularity.
Cheers,
Warren
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

David Kaufman

#1466 Post by David Kaufman » September 13th, 2020, 6:16 am

All the recent talk of the 08 CdC pricing had me reach for an 07 last night.
Attachments
4C8C37DE-EF4E-4F73-B486-F9A3E5405E76.jpeg

Sarah Kirschbaum

#1467 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » September 13th, 2020, 7:34 am

Opened another bottle of the '07 Bollinger rose yesterday and found it not quite as expressive as the first, though still very good. This bottle had a slight lactic edge to the nose at first, and never really found the explosive deliciousness of our last one. The wine geek friend with whom we drank it, however, not having had the first bottle for comparison, thought it was pretty great.

Could be normal bottle variation, could be it didn't like a two hour drive followed by getting carried around a bit. Who knows?

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1468 Post by Neal.Mollen » September 13th, 2020, 8:25 am

Warren Taranow wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 6:14 pm
I had drunk a lot of these upon release, then felt they shut down a year or two ago. My last bottle in November, while fantastic, was still somewhat reticent. Not so this bottle. The verve, the creamy lemon and orange, the sweet brioche, the mineral oyster shells, the beautiful mouthfeel, the long finish and the perfect bead; yes!!! How do they do this with such high production volumes?
I’m not sure what to make of the run of bottles a couple of years ago whose opening in youth seemed wasteful. I don’t think a wine can shut down then blossom over a 24 month period. While this is no where near my preferred point in its maturity curve, that fact won’t stop me from opening some of my stash with some regularity.
Cheers,
Warren
The ability of Moet to make a champagne of the quality of Dom at those production numbers is, to me, the greatest mystery, or the greatest accomplishment (or both!) in wine. Simply astounding.

We had a (takes a deep breath) 2008 Pierre Gimonnet & Fils Champagne Premier Cru Extra Brut Œnophile Blanc de Blancs Non Dosé last night. WAY WAY too many words, but what a lovely bottle. As one might expect it was crisp and clean and lean. A huge brace of bone-dry citrus. Absolutely loved it. FANTASTIC with Indian food. Wish I had more

Andrew K.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1469 Post by Andrew K. » September 13th, 2020, 9:06 am

More 08 DP with a brunch of poached eggs over roasted potatoes with hollandaise and a side of bacon. Stunning pairing of creamy and creamy, salty and sweet, tangy and acidic. Little brioche influence made up for the lack of bread (grain free here). Amazing.
к𝓁ย𝐠

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1470 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » September 14th, 2020, 8:06 am

Thanks for the words on the subsequent '07 LGA Rose, Sarah. When you say "lactic," in this context, would it be fair to use the term "buttermilky"? Asking because I've perceived that in some age Champagne, and dislike it.

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1471 Post by CJ Beazley » September 14th, 2020, 8:11 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 8:25 am
Warren Taranow wrote:
Cheers,
Warren
The ability of Moet to make a champagne of the quality of Dom at those production numbers is, to me, the greatest mystery, or the greatest accomplishment (or both!) in wine. Simply astounding.

We had a (takes a deep breath) 2008 Pierre Gimonnet & Fils Champagne Premier Cru Extra Brut Œnophile Blanc de Blancs Non Dosé last night. WAY WAY too many words, but what a lovely bottle. As one might expect it was crisp and clean and lean. A huge brace of bone-dry citrus. Absolutely loved it. FANTASTIC with Indian food. Wish I had more
You’ve just described my perfect bingo card for what I desire in a bottle of champagne. I’ve been offered Gimonnet before but not that specific bottle-Imma be on the lookout.
It's C(raig)

Sarah Kirschbaum

#1472 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » September 14th, 2020, 8:56 am

September 14th, 2020, 8:06 am
Thanks for the words on the subsequent '07 LGA Rose, Sarah. When you say "lactic," in this context, would it be fair to use the term "buttermilky"? Asking because I've perceived that in some age Champagne, and dislike it.
I wouldn't say that, no, though I see exactly how you get there. "Buttermilky" to me would imply sour, which this wasn't. More like the way milk chocolate smells different from dark chocolate. Or maybe slightly like a malted, though I dislike malted anything and this didn't bother me. In any case, it was just a touch.

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#1473 Post by Merrill Lindquist » September 15th, 2020, 8:15 am

Chartogne Taillet Aaint Anne - good, solid, affordable Champagne. My daughter and I enjoyed it together while catching up on life - had not seen her in awhile, so no descriptors, just full enjoyment.
Merrill

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1474 Post by Neal.Mollen » September 15th, 2020, 2:12 pm

CJ Beazley wrote:
September 14th, 2020, 8:11 am
Neal.Mollen wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 8:25 am
Warren Taranow wrote:
Cheers,
Warren

You’ve just described my perfect bingo card for what I desire in a bottle of champagne. I’ve been offered Gimonnet before but not that specific bottle-Imma be on the lookout.
Let me know what you think!

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1475 Post by Neal.Mollen » September 15th, 2020, 2:14 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 7:34 am
Opened another bottle of the '07 Bollinger rose yesterday and found it not quite as expressive as the first, though still very good. This bottle had a slight lactic edge to the nose at first, and never really found the explosive deliciousness of our last one. The wine geek friend with whom we drank it, however, not having had the first bottle for comparison, thought it was pretty great.

Could be normal bottle variation, could be it didn't like a two hour drive followed by getting carried around a bit. Who knows?
I was JUST about to buy a bunch of this (bunch for me, that is). I loved the only bottle I have had. Seriously loved it. This makes me pause. Hmmmm

Sarah Kirschbaum

#1476 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » September 15th, 2020, 3:23 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 2:14 pm
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:

I was JUST about to buy a bunch of this (bunch for me, that is). I loved the only bottle I have had. Seriously loved it. This makes me pause. Hmmmm
That's the problem with posting notes, people think they mean something for real. Go by what you experienced.

I wouldn't worry. I've never had any wine where every single bottle in a case was rock star. Have you? Our friend who hadn't had it before thought this bottle was great. My husband thought the first one was better, but this one was still good. I happily drank my share. If you buy only wines with consistently great notes, you'll never buy anything.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1477 Post by Neal.Mollen » September 15th, 2020, 3:31 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 3:23 pm
Neal.Mollen wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 2:14 pm
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:

That's the problem with posting notes, people think they mean something for real. Go by what you experienced.

I wouldn't worry. I've never had any wine where every single bottle in a case was rock star. Have you? Our friend who hadn't had it before thought this bottle was great. My husband thought the first one was better, but this one was still good. I happily drank my share. If you buy only wines with consistently great notes, you'll never buy anything.
Ha! That's a true fact. Thx

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1478 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » September 15th, 2020, 4:26 pm

Had a bottle of the Cedric Bouchard Val Villaine over the weekend that had been in the cellar for at least five years. Total rock star.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1479 Post by Blake Brown » September 15th, 2020, 4:29 pm

extracted from a thread just posted:

NV FRANC BONVILLE BLANC de BLANC BRUT GRAND CRU- this is made from Grand Cru fruit sourced from the Avize and Oger villages in 2016 and 2017, disgorged February 2020 and dosed at 8.33 gpl; it is an amazing QPR as it resembles champagnes that sell for 3 times the price; it is loaded with acidity, has a pleasant taste profile that includes lemon oil, lime, kiwi, golden delicious apple and Anjou pear while being delivered in a super creamy substance all the way to the back end where it reaches its crescendo for a grand finish.

Cheers,
Blake
Attachments
0DC5F285-0695-4127-A319-DA3C22E72F60_1_201_a.jpeg
29A3F5B5-A747-4F1F-9D33-740EFC917979_4_5005_c.jpeg
Napolean Bonaparte

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1480 Post by Jim Stewart » September 15th, 2020, 4:58 pm

Blake Brown wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 4:29 pm

. . . made from Grand Cru fruit sourced from the Avize and Oger villages in 2016 and 2017, disgorged February 2020 and dosed at 8.33 gpl . . .

Cheers,
Blake
Blake, was all this information on the label? If so, bravo to them!
Age merely shows what children we remain.
-Goethe

But I've just noticed that my mind is asleep.
-Rimbaud

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1481 Post by Blake Brown » September 15th, 2020, 5:03 pm

Jim Stewart wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 4:58 pm
Blake Brown wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 4:29 pm

. . . made from Grand Cru fruit sourced from the Avize and Oger villages in 2016 and 2017, disgorged February 2020 and dosed at 8.33 gpl . . .

Cheers,
Blake
Blake, was all this information on the label? If so, bravo to them!
Here's the back label Jim. Agreed, it's great to get some disclosure.
Attachments
C5DC1698-8F4A-40E9-81E8-2207AE8A83AE_1_201_a.jpeg
Napolean Bonaparte

Brad Baker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1482 Post by Brad Baker » September 15th, 2020, 6:43 pm

Blake,

Great note. I love the wines of Bonville. For some reason they remain overlooked in the Champagne world, but the entire range is dynamite and very well priced. Let's hope it stays that way for at least a little while longer.
Brad Baker
The Champagne Warrior

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1483 Post by Neal.Mollen » September 15th, 2020, 6:55 pm

Brad Baker wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 6:43 pm
Blake,

Great note. I love the wines of Bonville. For some reason they remain overlooked in the Champagne world, but the entire range is dynamite and very well priced. Let's hope it stays that way for at least a little while longer.
Brad, while you are in the neighborhood . . . .viewtopic.php?f=1&t=173220

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1484 Post by Craig G » September 15th, 2020, 7:14 pm

Merrill Lindquist wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 8:15 am
Chartogne Taillet Aaint Anne - good, solid, affordable Champagne. My daughter and I enjoyed it together while catching up on life - had not seen her in awhile, so no descriptors, just full enjoyment.
I just bought some more of this as I had run out. It’s one of my regulars. Both my daughters like Champagne now so I need more.

[cheers.gif]
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#1485 Post by Merrill Lindquist » September 16th, 2020, 7:48 am

Craig G wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 7:14 pm
Merrill Lindquist wrote:
I just bought some more of this as I had run out. It’s one of my regulars. Both my daughters like Champagne now so I need more.

[cheers.gif]
During the game yesterday I opened Pierre Peters BDB. My daughter preferred it to the Saint Anne (so did I). I've created a monster.
Merrill

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1486 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » September 16th, 2020, 7:55 am

Merrill Lindquist wrote:
September 16th, 2020, 7:48 am
Craig G wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 7:14 pm
Merrill Lindquist wrote:

[cheers.gif]
During the game yesterday I opened Pierre Peters BDB. My daughter preferred it to the Saint Anne (so did I). I've created a monster.
The Péters Cuvée Reserve is an amazing wine. Addictive even.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1487 Post by Blake Brown » September 19th, 2020, 9:07 am

Extracted from a thread posted a few days ago and a sequel to an earlier post re the 95` de Venoge Louis XV:

1996 de VENOGE LOUIS XV de VENOGE BRUT- I had just had a the 95` version of this release and it was absolutely stunning, so I was expecting this to be as good, if not better; having had too many bad “older” champagnes lately, I was delighted to at least have had one stellar experience and was looking forward to and expecting another, but it was not to be as this was distinctly corky; before opening it, I was more concerned about oxidative notes and was delighted to find its yellow gold color, but the nose made my shoulders and enthusiasm drop; beyond that was some truly obvious signs it could have been a grand experience. The bottle shape is quite unique and one may have the idea to buy the wine and if it’s not all that great, at least keep the bottle and create something artistic with it although at a price tag way over $!00, that’s probably not all that realistic.

Cheers,
Blake
Attachments
17B9D366-F535-4C51-B988-2340F6E02CAA_1_201_a.jpeg
Napolean Bonaparte

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1488 Post by Blake Brown » September 19th, 2020, 9:08 am

Extracted from a recently posted thread:

NV LAURENT-PERRIER BRUT CUVEE ROSE- Having just received this as part of a 6 pack from a new batch, I brought it as a present for our host who loves NV Roses and he decided it fit for our dinner so here it is; I’d actually brought the 96` de Venoge Louis XV to take for dinner; but we opened it the night before; this is made from 100% Pinot Noir sourced from 10 different “crus", from the North and South areas of the Montagne de Reims, as well as the famous village of Bouzy, and minimally aged for 5 years; this is very fruit forward at this early stage and has a bit more sweetness than I prefer or remember from a couple of decades of past releases; no dosage was noted on the back label, but I’m guessing is was at 10 gpl; strawberry and red cherry highlight the fruit profile and accents of spice and minerals blend in nicely. As an aside, the different bottle shape was inspired by King Henri lV way back when.

Cheers,
Blake
Attachments
3DA249F4-C608-4000-A866-932D590D6DA8_1_201_a.jpeg
Napolean Bonaparte

Marcus Dean

#1489 Post by Marcus Dean » September 19th, 2020, 2:12 pm

Assailly Rose Champagne NV,
Peter Maude has been importing Assailly for quite a while but has never imported the Rose until this year.
I decanted the bottle into a Riedel apple decanter for an hour and served it in Riedel extreme glasses around 13 degrees C.
I believe it is 87% Chardonnay and 13% Pinot
Lovely fine mousse and a great burnt orange colour in the glass, slightly oxidative nose and a very complex flavour palate of slightly sweet fruit.
The purchase price here in New Zealand is around $65 NZD which is bloody good value for the quality of the wine.
I expect it to improve with around 3 years rest in the cellar

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1490 Post by Jim Stewart » September 19th, 2020, 3:33 pm

Laurent-Perrier La Cuvee Brut NV.
Opened a half bottle to toast our finally coming to a decision on a new car purchase. Some bubbles and mouse in the glass, but more apparent in the mouth I thought. Dry, well balanced, biscuity and up to the job for a quick toast. Jacqueline smelled / tasted some sherry notes. I did not, but it is hard to discern the age of this bottle from the back label information. Quite the contrast to the complete disclosure on Blake's recent Bonville bottle.
la cuvee.jpg
-Goethe

-Rimbaud

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1491 Post by alan weinberg » September 19th, 2020, 5:00 pm

Jim Stewart wrote:
September 19th, 2020, 3:33 pm
Some bubbles and mouse in the glass
hope it didn’t drink much since you only opened a 375

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1492 Post by Jim Stewart » September 19th, 2020, 5:03 pm

alan weinberg wrote:
September 19th, 2020, 5:00 pm
Jim Stewart wrote:
Some bubbles and mouse in the glass
hope it didn’t drink much since you only opened a 375
"Mickey" and I shared
[rofl.gif]

champagne.gif
-Goethe

-Rimbaud

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1493 Post by Blake Brown » September 19th, 2020, 5:05 pm

Jim Stewart wrote:
Opened a half bottle to toast our finally coming to a decision on a new car purchase. Some bubbles and mouse in the glass, but more apparent in the mouth I thought. Dry, well balanced, biscuity and up to the job for a quick toast. Jacqueline smelled / tasted some sherry notes. I did not, but it is hard to discern the age of this bottle from the back label information. Quite the contrast to the complete disclosure on Blake's recent Bonville bottle.
la cuvee.jpg
Jim, I just read this after opening a Pierre-Gimonnet BdB Extra Brut and check out the disclosure on this gem:
Attachments
7C3F8800-2975-4F72-919C-D6195DA8B398_1_201_a.jpeg
Napolean Bonaparte

Sarah Kirschbaum

#1494 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » September 20th, 2020, 7:53 am

A 2000 José Michel & Fils Champagne Special Club last night was good but not great. A little musty. The cork was extremely tight in the bottle, but came out with no sign of trapped gas. It tasted pleasant enough, and the evening was nearly perfect weather-wise. Still, it should have been better. We have had some mixed results with these bottles, ranging from very good to plain weird.

crickey

#1495 Post by crickey » September 20th, 2020, 6:27 pm

Pierre Peters Cuvee de Reserve, disgorged 12/2018.
Chri$ Ri¢k€y

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1496 Post by Warren Taranow » September 20th, 2020, 7:06 pm

Jim Stewart wrote:
la cuvee.jpg
Jim,
I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. I recently ordered a heavily discounted 9L, for some future celebration when there comes a time that big groups of family and friends can gather again.
Cheers,
Warren

CT - WST

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1497 Post by Warren Taranow » September 20th, 2020, 7:22 pm

Sharing here from another post; an outdoor wine tasting on my deck last night.

NV Krug Grande Cuvée 168eme(9/19/2020)
Tonight, we drank a lot of champagne before it's time, but it felt criminal opening this one so young. It really needs a lot of years, even out of the .375. Marybeth and I were working our tails off preparing for the event, and we wanted a half bottle of something good as a reward. Delicious and enjoyable, but not showing any Krug fireworks at the moment.

2006 Taittinger Comtes (9/19/2020)
I've heard people mentioning bottle variation or off bottles, but until last week, I hadn't had one. Fortunately, last night's bottle was back on target and phenomenal. Once again, the lush glycerin mouthfeel, ample stone fruit, orange cream and brioche. Broad shouldered enough to stand up to the charcuterie it accompanied. The wine of the night for most attendees (I preferred the '09 Cristal). Last week's off bottle had a different cap on the cork; all the other's I've had were green.

2008 Dom Pérignon (9/19/2020)
This has come out of its shell, although still very young. More mineraled and precise than the Comte, this has yeasty bready citrus, great cut and verve. Paired well with cold smoked sockeye salmon, shredded hard boiled eggs and capers.

2009 Louis Roederer Cristal - (9/19/2020)
My WOTN, although most preferred the '06 Comte. Showy for a young Cristal. A crescendo of flavors and aromas. Dense citrus including lemon, lime and tangerine, white flowers; less yeasty than the '08 Dom. Needs more time, but no harm in opening. Perfect pairing with Calvasius Oscietra caviar, served simply on fresh cucumber, as well as on toast point with creme fraiche and chopped onion.

NV Ployez-Jacquemart Rosé(9/19/2020)
Sabered for show, this stood up well against the big boys. Crisp and clean, strawberry and orange, pink and fun.

NV Vilmart Grand Cellier Brut(9/19/2020)
I only got a quick sip, and as always, liked it a lot. I'm not sure the base vintage or disgorgement date of this particular bottle.

Cheers,
Warren

CT - WST

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1498 Post by Blake Brown » September 23rd, 2020, 8:59 am

Extracted from a separate thread re 2008 Cristal:

I’ve been scolded numerous times by friends for opening up way too many bottles of this before its time which is still the case; I`m embarrassed to say I’ve now had at least 6 bottles {5 from my cellar} and yes, all have been way too young, mostly tight and partially shut down with hints of exceptional brilliance; disregarding using any scrutiny, I just had to check in again thinking that some day this will actually live up to its high accolades and maybe I’ll hit it when its closer to sharing more of its class and charm, so lets just find out; lo and behold! Wonder of wonders! it’s moved up a notch or three with everything being so much more expressed as relates to the aromas, taste profile, feel, body, layers of complexity, length and acidity; it’s really good now and yes, it has a long ways to go to reach its apogee.

2008 LOUIS ROEDERER CRISTAL BRUT- most distinctly noticeable was the honeyed and ginger laced lemon oil in the taste and texture along with some serious increase in body; the assemblage is 60% Pinot Noir and 40% Chardonnay, but the latter seems to be more prevalent in the taste as orange peel and lime also join in as well as some golden delicious apples, strawberry and white peach; we tasted it over the course of the evening and it held its place and stayed committed to pleasing its indulgents and we were indeed pleased at the same recognizing there’s a lot more to come. How long will it take and when do I pop another one? Don’t know about the first, but I’m sure I’ll visit one again within a year or so.

Cheers,
Blake
Attachments
24C9A1D1-6145-48FD-8E85-EC386D332730_1_201_a.jpeg
Napolean Bonaparte

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1499 Post by Blake Brown » September 23rd, 2020, 11:32 am

I forgot to add some ID to the Cristal as the back label has a code that can be deciphered. In this case for the 08`, it was allowed 20% ML with 20% vinified in oak casks, then bottled aged 8 years prior to disgorgement in 2017 and then aged at least for another 8 months after disgorgement where it was dosed at 8 gpl.
Attachments
37F77E78-FE08-4FD6-AD71-3CE5EE767F8E.jpeg
570013B5-A705-426E-91B7-89A51D3BE1A1_1_201_a.jpeg
Napolean Bonaparte

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1500 Post by Jay Miller » September 23rd, 2020, 11:42 am

Calsac l'Echappee Belle

Love it. Since I was the only one drinking I took the opportunity yesterday to test pouring the remainder into a bunch of 3oz glass bottles. Lost a lot of Champagne as it overflowed but it was still quite good today, albeit with far fewer bubbles.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Return to “Wine Talk”