Which Champagne are you drinking?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Which Champagne are you drinking?

#1301 Post by Mike Evans » July 14th, 2020, 7:28 am

Laherte is one of my favorite producers. The wines are excellent, offer great value, and I have great respect for Aurelian after having a chance to visit with him at a local store about five years ago. Selfishly, though, I’d rather he stay a bit under the radar so his wines remain the great value that they are today.

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1302 Post by Warren Taranow » July 14th, 2020, 8:29 am

Frank Murray III wrote:
July 12th, 2020, 4:56 pm
Jason, keep going...there is a lot to find and experience!

One more from the weekend. Another good one.
  • 2014 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres - France, Champagne (7/12/2020)
    Opened yesterday. This is first of two I bought in the summer of 2019. Disgorged January 2018, 100% Chardonnay, dosage between 2 and 4 grams. What strikes me about this cuvee is the energy: it's hard to miss it, as it hits my palate and stays there through the finish. There is also a generosity about the texture, as it fans out with lemon peel, green apple and tangerine. The finish is where the lemon peel really takes over, adding a cut and length that is very impressive. This has the intensity of Vilmart, the same core of acidity but in a leaner package. I really dig this stuff, a lot. It's the kind of wine I would drink with bubbles, but enjoy it as much when the wine its still.
Posted from CellarTracker

20200711_172747.jpg
20200711_172808.jpg
Frank,

I need to seek this out; I've only tried their rosé. It seems unusual to see a BdB from Les Crayéres vineyard, no? It's mostly known for its pinot.

Cheers,
Warren
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1303 Post by Frank Murray III » July 14th, 2020, 11:29 am

Warren Taranow wrote:
July 14th, 2020, 8:29 am
Frank Murray III wrote:

• 2014 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres - France, Champagne (7/12/2020)
    Opened yesterday. This is first of two I bought in the summer of 2019. Disgorged January 2018, 100% Chardonnay, dosage between 2 and 4 grams. What strikes me about this cuvee is the energy: it's hard to miss it, as it hits my palate and stays there through the finish. There is also a generosity about the texture, as it fans out with lemon peel, green apple and tangerine. The finish is where the lemon peel really takes over, adding a cut and length that is very impressive. This has the intensity of Vilmart, the same core of acidity but in a leaner package. I really dig this stuff, a lot. It's the kind of wine I would drink with bubbles, but enjoy it as much when the wine its still.

20200711_172747.jpg
20200711_172808.jpg
Frank,

I need to seek this out; I've only tried their rosé. It seems unusual to see a BdB from Les Crayéres vineyard, no? It's mostly known for its pinot.

Cheers,
Warren
Warren, are you thinking the LF plot is the same as something like Marguet's? You don't say but this was my assumption when I read your post. LF is based Chavot, where there is a lot of Chardonnay so it doesn't surprise me. I'm gonna send a note to Aurelien Laherte and ask him to give some detail on the LGC cuvee and then I will post it back here. All of my Champagne resources overlook the LGC cuvee, which may be due to this cuvee being fairly new to them. I'll find out.
My best wines for 2020:
2014 Marie Courtin Champagne Efflorescence Extra Brut
2012 Minière F & R Champagne Influence Brut
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM
2015 Ulysse Collin Champagne Les Pierrières
2014 Laherte Frères Champagne BdB EB Les Grands Crayeres

Kindness matters. Dignity matters. Accountability matters. Respect matters. LEADERSHIP MATTERS!

Brad Baker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1304 Post by Brad Baker » July 14th, 2020, 2:14 pm

Laherte's Les Grandes Crayeres is not the same as the Ambonnay Les Crayeres plot. While the names are slightly different, it is quite common for vineyards in different villages to share a name. For instance, Goutte d'Or can be found as a vineyard name in many, many villages.

The vineyard Laherte uses is on the western facing slopes of Chavot. This particular area has quite a bit of chalk in the soil which is well suited to a mineral style of wine. I think the use of oak for fermentation/aging gives the wine a nice texture and balances out the more steely notes nicely. The end result to me is a creamy, fruity, bright, mineral wine. 2014 was the first release of this wine so that is why you may not have heard all that much about it.
Brad Baker
The Champagne Warrior

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1305 Post by Warren Taranow » July 14th, 2020, 7:04 pm

Frank Murray III wrote:
July 14th, 2020, 11:29 am
Warren Taranow wrote:
July 14th, 2020, 8:29 am
Frank Murray III wrote:

Frank,

Cheers,
Warren
Warren, are you thinking the LF plot is the same as something like Marguet's? You don't say but this was my assumption when I read your post. LF is based Chavot, where there is a lot of Chardonnay so it doesn't surprise me. I'm gonna send a note to Aurelien Laherte and ask him to give some detail on the LGC cuvee and then I will post it back here. All of my Champagne resources overlook the LGC cuvee, which may be due to this cuvee being fairly new to them. I'll find out.
Brad Baker wrote:
July 14th, 2020, 2:14 pm
Laherte's Les Grandes Crayeres is not the same as the Ambonnay Les Crayeres plot. While the names are slightly different, it is quite common for vineyards in different villages to share a name. For instance, Goutte d'Or can be found as a vineyard name in many, many villages.

The vineyard Laherte uses is on the western facing slopes of Chavot. This particular area has quite a bit of chalk in the soil which is well suited to a mineral style of wine. I think the use of oak for fermentation/aging gives the wine a nice texture and balances out the more steely notes nicely. The end result to me is a creamy, fruity, bright, mineral wine. 2014 was the first release of this wine so that is why you may not have heard all that much about it.
Ah, I saw "Crayeres" and thought "Ambonnay". Thanks, Frank and Brad for the clarification.
Now back to my leftover dinner with leftover Vilmart.

Cheers,
Warren

CT - WST

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1306 Post by Frank Murray III » July 16th, 2020, 12:36 pm

Thank you, Brad.

Warren, in addition to Brad's post, I also got a reply from Aurelien Laherte. Here is his reply to help clarify about the LGC cuvee:

"Hi Frank. This is from Chavot. West exposition mostly. Lot of chalk ! Not certified in bio, but done in this way 😉 first vintage is 2014. Going before in the bdb nature. Cheers."
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

Kindness matters. Dignity matters. Accountability matters. Respect matters. LEADERSHIP MATTERS!

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1307 Post by Blake Brown » July 18th, 2020, 10:54 am

Pursuant to my post #1265, these notes are relative to another bottle of Brut Sous Bois that cones with a different colored label which I presume has to do with a later release, but so far, I have not found any explanation and if anyone knows, please jump in:

NV BILLECART-SALMON BRUT SOUS BOIS- one of our members brought a bottle of this bubbly to our last dinner and I was so impressed by it, I sought it out and bought a few only to discover that the label is an entirely color. but no indication as to why; this one was a dark brown with gold print whereas the first one was burnt orange with black print; I suspect this one is a later release, but bottom line, it was as good as I had hoped and pretty much the same with balance, elegance and classiness; the taste profile again was right in the middle of my wheelhouse with classic fresh, crisp and spicy lemon, lime, blood orange, vanilla and brioche; as with the other bottle, this is made up of equal parts of Pinot Noir, Pinot Meunier and Chardonnay and is entirely vinified in oak casks at low temperature, undergoes partial ML and is dosed at 7 gpl.

Cheers,
Blake
Attachments
DCB335D1-1D5F-440D-9A24-B326D2CD012B_1_201_a.jpeg
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1308 Post by Blake Brown » July 18th, 2020, 11:32 am

NV ALEXANDRE LE BRUN FASCINATION EXTRA BRUT BLANC de BLANC- this was very rich and full bodied with generous amounts of honeyed lemon, peach, mango and pear accented by a streak of minerals and saline; it had a soft and creamy mousse and showed beautifully, getting our dinner group off to a grand start.
Attachments
B6C55730-63B0-48C9-96DF-C1FC9975EDDF_1_201_a.jpeg
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1309 Post by alan weinberg » July 18th, 2020, 12:20 pm

a 96 Duval-Leroy BdB was gorgeous and full of ripe yellow fruits last night.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1310 Post by Neal.Mollen » July 19th, 2020, 9:05 am

Cross-posting with the "today's bottle" thread, but we opened a 2002 Philipponnat Champagne Cuvée 1522 last night and it was absolutely gorgeous, performing WAY above it's price point. I always buy a few bottles of this cuvée in every decent vintage, but I really need to go deeper. Maybe I can find some 2012 someplace.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#1311 Post by Merrill Lindquist » July 19th, 2020, 10:04 am

For my Champagne Sunday, right now, Gosset. Just a delicious, good, solid Champagne that is affordable (uh-oh).
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1312 Post by Blake Brown » July 20th, 2020, 8:53 am

NV BOLLINGER SPECIAL CUVEE BRUT- 60% Pinot Noir, 25% Chardonnay and 15% Pinot Meunier, with 30% of the blend brought up in barrels; this comes from Bollie`s latest batch and was consistent with previous notes as I found it to be very peasant with an over all mellow aura that started off with mild, spicy and brioche infused citrus aromas that were a bit more pronounced on the palate; lemon, lime. apple and kiwi made up the basic fruit profile; it had a soft, lush mousse and bright acidity; very nice.

Cheers,
Blake
Attachments
64C65C66-A7C0-423A-9FD8-AA63F099BCD3_1_201_a.jpeg
Napolean Bonaparte

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1313 Post by Frank Murray III » July 21st, 2020, 5:28 pm

• NV Benoît Lahaye Champagne Grand Cru Brut Nature Bouzy - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (7/21/2020)
    Opened this yesterday. This is my first experience with Benoit Lahaye, too. I own the Rose Maceration but have yet to open any of those but decided last night to get something perhaps more crisp and focused in my glass. This hits the spot. 90% Pinot, 10% Chard, I believe most of the fruit coming from Bouzy, plus Ambonnay. Also, there is no dosage, no sulfur, farmed biodynamic, too. Disgorged April 2019, don't have any idea of the vintages/base of the wine. This is stern when cold but it expands and fills in really well as it warms up. Lemon rind and salinity at the cooler temp, then some apple, plus a good dollop of cherry appears with the warmer temp. The salinity sticks around throughout the temperatures, giving the wine a refreshing finish. This is a cool wine, as if the cherry and saline is being pulled through the palate and into the finish, washed over some wet stone. Look, I know some people think these wines are trendy to be low dosage. So what. What about those of us who like this style, who find the energy to be a pleasure in the glass, the energy that comes through many of these wines. This is delicious, but please allow the wine to warm and just with the lightest off chill, enjoy it as I did.
20200720_170819.jpg
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1314 Post by Jayson Cohen » July 21st, 2020, 7:05 pm

Frank, you should find the Lahaye Violaine if you can. Jay Miller put me on to it last year.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1315 Post by Frank Murray III » July 21st, 2020, 7:09 pm

Jayson Cohen wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 7:05 pm
Frank, you should find the Lahaye Violaine if you can. Jay Miller put me on to it last year.
JC, there is some @ Sec but is it 90 bucks good?
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1316 Post by Jayson Cohen » July 21st, 2020, 7:37 pm

Frank Murray III wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 7:09 pm
Jayson Cohen wrote:
I was able to get it for $70-75 during a Benchmark sale. I don’t know what to tell you on price but to my taste it’s a head above every other Lahaye I’ve tried. Really amazing texture and complexity. It could be vintage dependent though. The one I’ve tried (and have) is the ‘12 base. Other than Vilmart, this, the Larmandier-Bernier Chemins D’Avize (both 09 and 12), ‘12 Hebrart Rive Gauche Rive Droite, and Chartogne 12-15 Les Barres Pinot Noir are the best young grower Champagnes I’ve had over the last couple years. This may be the least expensive in that group if I were a buyer.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1317 Post by Frank Murray III » July 22nd, 2020, 8:26 am

JC, thanks for the reply. Not had the Herbrart but read about it a few times. Had the CT LB several months ago, and it's still available out here, but like the Violin, it's around 95 bucks. I've got a few bottles of the LB CdA in my cellar, yet to open one but I had kind of forgot about them so I will do that coming up. I have access to the 2010 and 2011, and wonder how the 2010 would do with a side by side of the 2012 for kicks. Will think about that for something blind.

I'll give the Violaine some thought. I'm trying to watch my spend closely these days, and we still have Kutch and Pisoni coming up before the end of summer.
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1318 Post by Jay Miller » July 22nd, 2020, 5:27 pm

Jayson Cohen wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 7:37 pm
Frank Murray III wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 7:09 pm
Jayson Cohen wrote:
I was able to get it for $70-75 during a Benchmark sale. I don’t know what to tell you on price but to my taste it’s a head above every other Lahaye I’ve tried. Really amazing texture and complexity. It could be vintage dependent though. The one I’ve tried (and have) is the ‘12 base.
I also opened a 2011 for you which you didn't like. I liked it but it wasn't anywhere near as good as the 2012. 2008 is up there with the 2012, the 2009 is not quite as good as those two but much better than the 2011. Just a touch of heaviness.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1319 Post by Warren Taranow » July 23rd, 2020, 7:56 am

2009 Vilmart Coeur de Cuvée. I need to scold myself for opening another. I keep hoping this will show early maturity or at least be in a great drinking window, like most of my ‘09 champagnes. It’s nice, but still tight, not yet showing the Vilmart depth. It has lots of potential, but still needs a lot of time, IMO.

CT - WST

Nathan V.

#1320 Post by Nathan V. » July 23rd, 2020, 8:44 am

Warren Taranow wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 7:56 am
2009 Vilmart Coeur de Cuvée. I need to scold myself for opening another. I keep hoping this will show early maturity or at least be in a great drinking window, like most of my ‘09 champagnes. It’s nice, but still tight, not yet showing the Vilmart depth. It has lots of potential, but still needs a lot of time, IMO.
I made the same mistake. The 2007 is so glorious right now that I tried both the 2009 and 2010 recently and both were quite closed. Oh well, lesson learned, back to the 2007.
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1321 Post by Frank Murray III » July 23rd, 2020, 8:54 am

Good reminder here, Warren. I am thinking about revisiting a 2004 this weekend, or the 2011.
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1322 Post by Blake Brown » July 23rd, 2020, 9:28 am

2012 DELAMOTTE BLANC de BLANC MILLESIME BRUT- served in Sophienwald Grand Cru champagne glasses as seen in the background; 60% of the fruit sources for this comes from les Mesnil-sur-Oger, Ovize and Oger with 20% equal parts from each and the remainder of the fruit comes from Cramant, Chouilly and Oiry; this is the 2nd bottle I've had recently and it is spectacular having such an inviting nose of fresh yellow roses and stone fruit which on the palate included peach, apricot, pear, Golden Delicious apple and lemon; it had a wondrous creamy, honey like mouthfeel which served to enhanced the long, satisfying finish; this is marvelous bubbly now and has all of the structure to be great in the years to come. No 2012 Salon is to be made so I’m assuming most if not all of the fruit went into the BdB that was not held back in reserve.

Cheers,
Blake
Attachments
IMG_1657.jpeg
Napolean Bonaparte

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#1323 Post by Merrill Lindquist » July 24th, 2020, 5:48 am

Blake Brown wrote:
July 20th, 2020, 8:53 am
NV BOLLINGER SPECIAL CUVEE BRUT- 60% Pinot Noir, 25% Chardonnay and 15% Pinot Meunier, with 30% of the blend brought up in barrels; this comes from Bollie`s latest batch and was consistent with previous notes as I found it to be very peasant with an over all mellow aura that started off with mild, spicy and brioche infused citrus aromas that were a bit more pronounced on the palate; lemon, lime. apple and kiwi made up the basic fruit profile; it had a soft, lush mousse and bright acidity; very nice.

Cheers,
Blake
Had this Wednesday and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Merrill

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1324 Post by Jim Stewart » July 24th, 2020, 4:15 pm

Blake Brown wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 9:28 am
2012 DELAMOTTE BLANC de BLANC MILLESIME BRUT- served in Sophienwald Grand Cru champagne glasses as seen in the background; 60% of the fruit sources for this comes from les Mesnil-sur-Oger, Ovize and Oger with 20% equal parts from each and the remainder of the fruit comes from Cramant, Chouilly and Oiry; this is the 2nd bottle I've had recently and it is spectacular having such an inviting nose of fresh yellow roses and stone fruit which on the palate included peach, apricot, pear, Golden Delicious apple and lemon; it had a wondrous creamy, honey like mouthfeel which served to enhanced the long, satisfying finish; this is marvelous bubbly now and has all of the structure to be great in the years to come. No 2012 Salon is to be made so I’m assuming most if not all of the fruit went into the BdB that was not held back in reserve.

Cheers,
Blake
Hi Blake, your posting about Champagne is prolific and I enjoy reading your impressions and notes. I also respect your opinion. I have a question for you on the 2013 Louis Roederer Rose. (I have seen your very positive notes on the 2012 but could not find any on the 2013). My local merchant has the 2013 and the Billecart-Salmon Rose NV priced similarly. If you were to have these two wines open in front of you, which would you reach for first? Thanks -Jim
Age merely shows what children we remain.
-Goethe

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1325 Post by Blake Brown » July 24th, 2020, 5:16 pm

Jim Stewart wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 4:15 pm
Blake Brown wrote:

Cheers,
Blake
Hi Blake, your posting about Champagne is prolific and I enjoy reading your impressions and notes. I also respect your opinion. I have a question for you on the 2013 Louis Roederer Rose. (I have seen your very positive notes on the 2012 but could not find any on the 2013). My local merchant has the 2013 and the Billecart-Salmon Rose NV priced similarly. If you were to have these two wines open in front of you, which would you reach for first? Thanks -Jim
Hi Jim, I appreciate your remarks and hope I can respond in a helpful way. Obviously, it comes down to our individual palate preferences and how the wine is showing at the time we experienced it. So, here goes:

I`ve noticed the Billecart-Salmon Rose has taken a much bolder path in the last 18 months or so. It used to be a super elegant and light weight rose that was just so mild and easy to drink with medium expressions of red raspberry and strawberry fruit, but now it seems to be much more bigger with red cherry and a creamier, thicker mousse. It's really become a mouthful and I'm a fan, but miss the hallmark of elegance from those from the last couple of decades.

I've yet to have the 13` Louis Roederer Rose and as you noted, I'm a huge fan of the 12`. If it is anything like that one, I'd go there first.

Actually, my MO would be to get both and drink them against each other and then decide. Knowing my track record, I'd probably end up getting a 6 pack of each.

I look forward to learning of your decision and the outcome.
Napolean Bonaparte

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1326 Post by Jim Stewart » July 24th, 2020, 5:32 pm

Blake Brown wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 5:16 pm
Jim Stewart wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 4:15 pm
Blake Brown wrote:

Cheers,
Blake
Hi Jim, I appreciate your remarks and hope I can respond in a helpful way. Obviously, it comes down to our individual palate preferences and how the wine is showing at the time we experienced it. So, here goes:

I`ve noticed the Billecart-Salmon Rose has taken a much bolder path in the last 18 months or so. It used to be a super elegant and light weight rose that was just so mild and easy to drink with medium expressions of red raspberry and strawberry fruit, but now it seems to be much more bigger with red cherry and a creamier, thicker mousse. It's really become a mouthful and I'm a fan, but miss the hallmark of elegance from those from the last couple of decades.

I've yet to have the 13` Louis Roederer Rose and as you noted, I'm a huge fan of the 12`. If it is anything like that one, I'd go there first.

Actually, my MO would be to get both and drink them against each other and then decide. Knowing my track record, I'd probably end up getting a 6 pack of each.

I look forward to learning of your decision and the outcome.
Blake, I appreciate your helpful thoughts and you taking the time.
Age merely shows what children we remain.
-Goethe

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1327 Post by AD Northup » July 25th, 2020, 1:57 pm

2012 Gimonnet Special Club. A really nice version of the Special Club Blanc de Blanc bottling. Tons of lovely acidity. Certainly a fairly lengthy life left to live.
A n d r e w N o r t h u p

2020 WsOTY:

2015 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Noirs La Presle (#1)
1954 Fontanafredda Barbaresco
2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:
1994 Edmunds St. John Les Côtes Sauvages
2016 P. S. Garcia Grenache Piedra Lisa
2002 Perrier-Jouet Belle Époque
2005 Faja dos Padres Malvasia

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1328 Post by Frank Murray III » July 26th, 2020, 9:14 am

2009 Cristal for the win......AGAIN!
  • 2009 Louis Roederer Champagne Cristal Brut - France, Champagne (7/26/2020)
    Damn, this was the best bottle to date. Pulled this last minute, to go with a banana pudding. I had debated opening it earlier in the evening but thought we had enough wine. But then, with some friends around the table, this is THE time to open Cristal, especially the 2009. So, pulled the cork, off we went. Elegant lime that just flows across the palate, and what was most impressive about this bottle was the minerality. In the aromatic, and in the finish, it added a complexity that just made me pause and appreciate this wine yet again. Say what you want about 2008, and all the big scores.....who cares. What matters is.....what does the wine taste like to you, your palate. For me, time and time again, the 2009 is the winner and last night's bottle was simply extraordinary. Continues to be for me one of the greatest Champagnes I have ever tasted.
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1329 Post by Blake Brown » July 26th, 2020, 10:43 am

Frank Murray III wrote:
July 26th, 2020, 9:14 am
    Damn, this was the best bottle to date. Pulled this last minute, to go with a banana pudding. I had debated opening it earlier in the evening but thought we had enough wine. But then, with some friends around the table, this is THE time to open Cristal, especially the 2009. So, pulled the cork, off we went. Elegant lime that just flows across the palate, and what was most impressive about this bottle was the minerality. In the aromatic, and in the finish, it added a complexity that just made me pause and appreciate this wine yet again. Say what you want about 2008, and all the big scores.....who cares. What matters is.....what does the wine taste like to you, your palate. For me, time and time again, the 2009 is the winner and last night's bottle was simply extraordinary. Continues to be for me one of the greatest Champagnes I have ever tasted.
Bravo! I agree with everything you state Brother Frank. It's hard to imagine that when this is at its peak, that it can get so significantly better; I`m pretty OK with where it is now.
Napolean Bonaparte

Al Osterheld

#1330 Post by Al Osterheld » July 26th, 2020, 12:29 pm

Had the 2008 and 2009 Cristal at a small dinner party last October at a restaurant that has now closed. Who would have thought the world would be so different, now? We hadn't coordinated the wines, so this was a fortuitous opportunity to compare them. Both outstanding, but the 2009 is definitely the one to be drinking today.

-Al

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1331 Post by Warren Taranow » July 26th, 2020, 1:01 pm

Frank Murray III wrote:
July 26th, 2020, 9:14 am
Frank,
I love this wine, and didn't follow Brad Baker's advice to go deep. Instead, I held out for the 2008 (which is shut down but will be phenomenal with time). I recently tried to backfill the 2009, ordering a six pack. When the shop shipped cross-country in July rather than holding for Autumn as I requested, I had to cancel the order. The shop will remain unnamed, as while the mistake was almost unforgivable, the customer service for the cancellation was fantastic.
Baker, Galloni and Gilman have written that the 2012 is one of the best ever. I've yet to open one of mine.
Cheers,
Warren

CT - WST

Brad Baker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1332 Post by Brad Baker » July 26th, 2020, 1:31 pm

Just wait for the 2019 Cristal.... It will be a number of years, but I think it will be better than the 2012 (which I think is slightly better than the 2009.... which I think is slightly better than the 2008). Best young Cristal I have ever tasted is the 2019 and the next best (2012) is not all that close. Just amazing texture, bright aromatics, precise, long, flavors, and a finish that coats the mouth and leaves your cheeks watering.

But, yeah, that 2009 is downright delicious and will continue to be so for a long, long time.
Brad Baker
The Champagne Warrior

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1333 Post by Warren Taranow » July 26th, 2020, 1:41 pm

Brad Baker wrote:
July 26th, 2020, 1:31 pm
Just wait for the 2019 Cristal.... It will be a number of years, but I think it will be better than the 2012 (which I think is slightly better than the 2009.... which I think is slightly better than the 2008). Best young Cristal I have ever tasted is the 2019 and the next best (2012) is not all that close. Just amazing texture, bright aromatics, precise, long, flavors, and a finish that coats the mouth and leaves your cheeks watering.

But, yeah, that 2009 is downright delicious and will continue to be so for a long, long time.
Feeling nostalgic for the pre-COVID vintages...

Warren

CT - WST

Michael S. Monie

#1334 Post by Michael S. Monie » July 26th, 2020, 1:53 pm

We had the 2006 Cristal Friday night and it showed beautifully. A velvety texture with pear, brioche, and a mild citrus influence. None of the overtly lemon flavor I found objectionable in later releases. I'll be happy drinking this one while the others mature.
"Don't worry, about a thing. Cause every little thing, is gone to be alright. This is my message to you." Bob Marley

Brad Baker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1335 Post by Brad Baker » July 26th, 2020, 1:57 pm

2020 is going to be an interesting year in Champagne. They are having trouble deciding on what the yield should be. With the current economic state, the overall quality and quantity conversation that normally takes place is not likely going to matter all that much. Even if you could have a yield of 12,500 kg/ha of top quality, it is going to be lower than that. The question is how much lower: 10,000 kg/ha, 7,000 kg/ha, 5,000 kg/ha, even less? The region has not yet been able to get all parties to agree. The growers who just sell grapes want high yields. Many negociants who buy in grapes want lower yields. Both are basing their wants on what is best for their business. We will have to see what middle ground can be found.

And, once you decide on the yield, what do you do with the grapes in terms of NV vs. vintage and prestige wines? 2009 suffered a bit from this due to the economy back then, but 2020 is an entirely different animal. Both 2018 and 2019 were very good quality vintages and 2018 was high quantity, but a lot of folks used the excess in 2018 to replace the bad wines from 2017. This means that the wineries are full of good quality juice (with little to trade out) and plenty of high quality vintage wine aging for release. I would not be surprised with a very low yield for 2020 (regardless of quality) and a number of producers using the juice for the quicker turn NV releases even if the wine is vintage worthy. Of course, it isn't harvest time just yet and anything can happen in the next few weeks.
Brad Baker
The Champagne Warrior

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1336 Post by Frank Murray III » July 26th, 2020, 5:51 pm

Three more, the remainder from yesterday. The Selosse was finished yesterday but the Gimmonet and Bereche I was able to finish this evening to write these notes. Overall, it was a great weekend for Champagne.....but it's hard to think of a weekend not being great when good Champagne is open.
  • 2014 Bérêche et Fils Champagne Campania Remensis - France, Champagne (7/26/2020)
    First of two that I bought in 2019. To start, the weight of these bottles is kind of obscene, just heavy and wider glass. Not sure why this is needed....? Disgorged March 2018, 3 g/l of dosage, made up of roughly 2/3rds Pinot Noir, a little still red wine with it, and then rest Chardonnay. The color of this is a bronzy peach. Opened yesterday, a lot of the CO2 is gone so this is closer to still than bubbles. I believe some oak is used in making this wine, as the aromatics give off a bit of a woody note. What I enjoy about this cuvee is the texture. It fills up my palate, spreading completely across it. Blood orange comes through, grapefruit, some strawberry, too. The acidity here reminds me of nectarine, so think stone fruit acids that work inside the of the finish. This is good, more dense that I am used to drinking, yet with the fruit flavors, there is something appealing about this cuvee. I feel like this will be better in the short term, and absent a lot of structure, I will drink k my other one within the next year.
  • 2014 Pierre Gimonnet & Fils Champagne Premier Cru Gastronome Blanc de Blancs Brut - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru (7/26/2020)
    Disgorged June 2018. 100% Chard. composed of 5 of the CdB villages, mostly Cuis, Chouilly and Cramant. Dosage 5 g/l. We opened this yesterday, retasting today. It has softened, yet the acidity seems to be brighter. Beautiful aromatics of citrus and bread dough. Pear, lemon, apple, and a bitter kind of citrus rind thing in the finish, giving it a spicy and savory ending. I wonder whether the finishing notes on this will cause some people to not like the wine. I and fine with it, as I like sensory notes that reflect energy and presence.
  • NV Jacques Selosse V.O. Blanc de Blancs Extra Brut - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (7/26/2020)
    Disgorged October 2018. This wine is powerful. Compact, intense, with dried lime and a concentration that is really impressive. Balanced, flinty. First time with Selosse VO....very impressive.
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1337 Post by Frank Murray III » July 26th, 2020, 7:04 pm

Hell, I forgot the 2004 Vilmart CdC from yesterday. Man, this wine was good, and for me is a testament to the skills of Laurent Champs. It reaffirms too why I keep buying Vilmart, and eagerly look forward to the 2012 CdC being sold this year. Ain't gonna miss that one, nor go light on that order.
  • 2004 Vilmart & Cie Champagne Premier Cru Coeur de Cuvée - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru (7/26/2020)
    Two years since the last bottle, from the same batch of bottles I bought back in 2014. The best way to describe this bottle is FRESH. The capital letters are intentional, as the wine has a freshness that made it really stand out. White flowers, lime, tangerine and green apple with honey on a stick. Finishes with a touch of red berry but mainly the taste of fresh cut green apples. The acidity remains bright and you could feel me that this wine has crossed 15 years old. To me, it shows no signs of age--not in color, aromatics or flavor. This is the freshness I am trying to convey. As to when I drink my remaining bottle, who the hell knows.
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

Mary Deem

#1338 Post by Mary Deem » July 27th, 2020, 10:47 am

2014 Benoit Lahaye la Violaine - Vintage not labeled but cork was stamped '2014', disgorged 4/2019. Bottle acquired from Sec Wines. Stunning wine, one of the more unique profiles tasted. Cellar temp fennel caraway herbs and hints of cucumber balancing lean semi sweet green apples (chardonnay fruit?) and rich yet never heavy red pinot fruit. Tart grape skins and almost mouth puckering salinity. This is one of the few wines that showed equally well (to me) both at cellar temp and warmer. Cooler temps emphasized herbs cucumber and other green aspects while warmer temps emphasized apple and pinot noir fruits. The latter fruit becoming richer over time but never heavy. The wine is lithe yet powerful, possessing powerful rich fruit yet remaining light on its feet. I drank this over three days. The second day the salnety was intense and evne more prominant balancng out the fruit which had become richer and more prominant (yet not heavy). The fennel caraway fruit remained prominant as well. By the third day I had only a glass left (sob). The fruit seemed to be a bit more pinot noir dominant and the fennel carraway herbs, more eintegrated but otherwise relatively unchanged save for being more of a still wine at this point.

This wine is unique to me compared to other similar made grower Champagne in the emphasis on fennel and caraway spices which were both prominent but integrated. My tasting of sans soufre Champagne is limited but I have yet to come across such a lovely prominent herbal profile.

This is my first tasting of a Lahaye wine but I have his Brut Nature up on deck for my next tasting. I already asked Eric to hold another bottle and plan on seeking out other vintages o this special wine as well as other Lahaye wines. This is one of those wines that changes ones perception of wine –even in the realm of grower Champagne which already challenges and pushes limits.

I have to thank Neil of the sadly now defunct Brooklynguy’s Wine and Food Blog for initially inspiring me to try this wine. I read his description of this and other Lahaye wines years ago and was intrigued. Only my ample supply of René Collard Champagne kept me from trying a bottle at the time. I also appreciate the fellow Beserkers who have posted about this and other Lahaye wines. I would love to hear from folks who have La Violaine – both from this and earlier vintages.

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1339 Post by Jayson Cohen » July 27th, 2020, 11:25 am

Mary Deem wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 10:47 am
2014 Benoit Lahaye la Violaine - Vintage not labeled but cork was stamped '2014', disgorged 4/2019. Bottle acquired from Sec Wines. Stunning wine, one of the more unique profiles tasted. Cellar temp fennel caraway herbs and hints of cucumber balancing lean semi sweet green apples (chardonnay fruit?) and rich yet never heavy red pinot fruit. Tart grape skins and almost mouth puckering salinity. This is one of the few wines that showed equally well (to me) both at cellar temp and warmer. Cooler temps emphasized herbs cucumber and other green aspects while warmer temps emphasized apple and pinot noir fruits. The latter fruit becoming richer over time but never heavy. The wine is lithe yet powerful, possessing powerful rich fruit yet remaining light on its feet. I drank this over three days. The second day the salnety was intense and evne more prominant balancng out the fruit which had become richer and more prominant (yet not heavy). The fennel caraway fruit remained prominant as well. By the third day I had only a glass left (sob). The fruit seemed to be a bit more pinot noir dominant and the fennel carraway herbs, more eintegrated but otherwise relatively unchanged save for being more of a still wine at this point.

This wine is unique to me compared to other similar made grower Champagne in the emphasis on fennel and caraway spices which were both prominent but integrated. My tasting of sans soufre Champagne is limited but I have yet to come across such a lovely prominent herbal profile.

This is my first tasting of a Lahaye wine but I have his Brut Nature up on deck for my next tasting. I already asked Eric to hold another bottle and plan on seeking out other vintages o this special wine as well as other Lahaye wines. This is one of those wines that changes ones perception of wine –even in the realm of grower Champagne which already challenges and pushes limits.

I have to thank Neil of the sadly now defunct Brooklynguy’s Wine and Food Blog for initially inspiring me to try this wine. I read his description of this and other Lahaye wines years ago and was intrigued. Only my ample supply of René Collard Champagne kept me from trying a bottle at the time. I also appreciate the fellow Beserkers who have posted about this and other Lahaye wines. I would love to hear from folks who have La Violaine – both from this and earlier vintages.
Mary, please see recent posts 1314-1318 above.

And cheers!

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#1340 Post by Merrill Lindquist » July 27th, 2020, 3:58 pm

Egly-Ouriet. Delicious and refreshing on a hot late afternoon.
Merrill

Scott Watkins
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1341 Post by Scott Watkins » July 27th, 2020, 5:27 pm

NV Moussé Fils Champagne Brut Rose Effusion disgorged 04/19 4 gl. The first sip and omg it's blood orange and I LOVE BLOOD oranges :) also packed with strawberry and a beam of acidity. Something maybe dusty? Anyways for the price this is just lovely on a hot summer evening!
“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1342 Post by Blake Brown » July 27th, 2020, 6:41 pm

Had another Comtes twofer last night as part of a stellar evening {a separate thread coming soon}:

2007 TAITTINGER COMTES de CHAMPAGNE BLANC de BLANC- many of us have had the 06` and other vintages of this marvelous champagne, but few have had the 07` which has not received a lot of love from Comtes followers; I’ve liked every bottle and although this one was not up to the previous ones, it had very enjoyable citrus notes with a touch of slightly toasted brioche and spice being delivered in a creamy mousse; it was not nearly as rich nor full bodied as the 06`, but its bright acidity, taste profile and texture all serve to please and still allow for this to be a good bubly.

16DE5C96-AC0F-4CAB-8F32-7CE2B903BAED_1_201_a.jpeg
2007 TAITTINGER COMTES de CHAMPAGNE BRUT ROSE- 70% Pinot Noir, 30% Chardonnay; I’ve had a 4 or 5 of these and loved every bottle; the notes have been very consistent as each has had a bounty of fresh red fruit with red cherry being most prevalent; it’s creamy and rich and full bodied and yet has magnificent finesse and elegance. As I’ve stated before, this is essentially a “glass” bowl full of whipped cream and cherries.

3B50922C-3A6F-43CB-BB85-BADE484648E7_1_201_a.jpeg
Cheers,
Blake
Napolean Bonaparte

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1343 Post by Blake Brown » July 28th, 2020, 11:59 am

One more from a grand evening:

NV KRUG 162 eme GRANDE CUVEE- Code # 313060 states this is comprised of 44% Pinot Noir, 35% Chardonnay and 21% Pinot Meunier made up of 163 wines from 11 years with the oldest coming from 1990 and the youngest 2006 and the corked placed in the summer of 2013; I’ve had a few of this edition and all have been similar in that they had more elegance than power, more lightness than weight, and more lean than full bodied; even then it has enough stuff to please and our bottle did just that with nice mild notes of brioche and honey accented apple, pear, mango and peach fruit.

Cheers,
Blake
Attachments
5E27934E-306D-499F-83A8-9E9F89B95879_1_201_a.jpeg
60D34A32-FD8A-4958-AFF8-FBED0CAF2C39_1_201_a.jpeg
Napolean Bonaparte

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1344 Post by Warren Taranow » July 28th, 2020, 1:58 pm

Blake Brown wrote:
July 28th, 2020, 11:59 am

NV KRUG 162 eme GRANDE CUVEE- Code # 313060 states this is comprised of 44% Pinot Noir, 35% Chardonnay and 21% Pinot Meunier made up of 163 wines from 11 years with the oldest coming from 1990 and the youngest 2006 and the corked placed in the summer of 2013; I’ve had a few of this edition and all have been similar in that they had more elegance than power, more lightness than weight, and more lean than full bodied; even then it has enough stuff to please and our bottle did just that with nice mild notes of brioche and honey accented apple, pear, mango and peach fruit.

Cheers,
Blake
Great note Blake. It seems suprising an '06 based wine would be more elegant than powerful, that being a pretty expressive vintage. Krug always manages elegance, even in richer years. I haven't tried this, but just checked and found I have a magnum resting in the cellar.

Cheers,
Warren

CT - WST

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#1345 Post by Merrill Lindquist » July 28th, 2020, 4:58 pm

Gosset Grande Reserve. What a great bottle at around $40. One of my standbys.
Merrill

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1346 Post by Blake Brown » July 29th, 2020, 7:14 am

Warren Taranow wrote:
July 28th, 2020, 1:58 pm
Blake Brown wrote:
July 28th, 2020, 11:59 am

Cheers,
Blake
Great note Blake. It seems suprising an '06 based wine would be more elegant than powerful, that being a pretty expressive vintage. Krug always manages elegance, even in richer years. I haven't tried this, but just checked and found I have a magnum resting in the cellar.

Cheers,
Warren
Warren, I`m not so sure we can place that much emphasis on 06`when we consider all else that goes into the blend. As an example, for this one, 40% was made up of 1990 Chardonnay from Le Mesnil-sur-Oger, as well as many others predominantly from the first 5 years of the millennium. And then there is the total of 163 wines contributing influence. I do not know how much 06` is in, but it certainly has to be super diluted.

Your mag should be a keeper for a few years+.
Napolean Bonaparte

emile bond

#1347 Post by emile bond » July 29th, 2020, 8:07 am

Has anyone ever visited Fallet-Prevostat in Avize, who also bottle identical wine(s) under Fallet-Crouzet, Fallet-Gouron, and Fallet-M?

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1348 Post by Blake Brown » July 30th, 2020, 11:49 am

Our wine dinner group`s starter bubbly for anther stellar evening last night:

2006 BILLECART-SALMON CUVEE NICOLAS FRANCOIS BRUT- the inaugural release of this cuvee was in 1964 to pay tribute to the co-founder (who married Elisabeth Salmon); it is typically made of 60% Grand Cru Pinot Noir and 40% Chardonnay; 5% of the wine is vinified in old oak barrels before spending 11 years on its lees and undergoing partial malolactic fermentation; it is sugar dosed at 4 gpl; following the mild yellow color came aromatics of nice citrus fruit, especially lemon; on the palate, it gave up more of the same plus mild honeyed orange, apple and pear along with a surprising and undesired touch of straw/ hay/ grass, Sauvignon Blanc like, that eventually blew off to allow for the more charming nuances to be experienced; it had bright acidity and a wondrous creamy mouthfeel; I was so expecting this to be stellar out of the gate, but it took at least 40 minutes before the straw accent dissipated and allowed for it to be experienced for the glamorous wine it is intended to be IMHO.

Cheers,
Blake
Attachments
243A6337-23CB-4E58-AF9C-A112DF8A9F5F_1_201_a.jpeg
Napolean Bonaparte

T. Altmayer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1349 Post by T. Altmayer » July 30th, 2020, 12:28 pm

Blake Brown wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 11:49 am

2006 BILLECART-SALMON CUVEE NICOLAS FRANCOIS BRUT- the inaugural release of this cuvee was in 1964 to pay tribute to the co-founder (who married Elisabeth Salmon); it is typically made of 60% Grand Cru Pinot Noir and 40% Chardonnay; 5% of the wine is vinified in old oak barrels before spending 11 years on its lees and undergoing partial malolactic fermentation; it is sugar dosed at 4 gpl; following the mild yellow color came aromatics of nice citrus fruit, especially lemon; on the palate, it gave up more of the same plus mild honeyed orange, apple and pear along with a surprising and undesired touch of straw/ hay/ grass, Sauvignon Blanc like, that eventually blew off to allow for the more charming nuances to be experienced; it had bright acidity and a wondrous creamy mouthfeel; I was so expecting this to be stellar out of the gate, but it took at least 40 minutes before the straw accent dissipated and allowed for it to be experienced for the glamorous wine it is intended to be IMHO.

Cheers,
Blake
Just had the ‘98 this past weekend to celebrate my son’s graduation from college. Aged beautifully with a creamy and luscious finish. Will go a long way, but it was drinking very well at 22.
Tom

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1350 Post by Blake Brown » July 30th, 2020, 6:54 pm

T. Altmayer wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 12:28 pm
Blake Brown wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 11:49 am

Cheers,
Blake
Just had the ‘98 this past weekend to celebrate my son’s graduation from college. Aged beautifully with a creamy and luscious finish. Will go a long way, but it was drinking very well at 22.
Wow! Your son just graduated from college! Time marches on Tom. Nice selection to celebrate it with.
Napolean Bonaparte

Return to “Wine Talk”