Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Jan Janas

Re: Which Champagne are you drinking?

#1251 Post by Jan Janas » June 18th, 2020, 6:32 am

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 6:31 am
Jan Janas wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 6:07 am
Question: why is blanc de blancs the much more talked about and beloved vs. blanc de noirs? There's a lot of love for Pinot-heavy Champagnes, but not so much for 100% Pinot Noirs which I found interesting.
I think they are Quite a bit less common.
Would that be the only reason? I don't see how that would stop wine geeks. I would expect them to be even more beloved because of the rarity...

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1252 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » June 18th, 2020, 6:44 am

Jan Janas wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 6:32 am
Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 6:31 am
Jan Janas wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 6:07 am
Question: why is blanc de blancs the much more talked about and beloved vs. blanc de noirs? There's a lot of love for Pinot-heavy Champagnes, but not so much for 100% Pinot Noirs which I found interesting.
I think they are Quite a bit less common.
Would that be the only reason? I don't see how that would stop wine geeks. I would expect them to be even more beloved because of the rarity...
No, but the vast majority of champagne are blends or bdb.

I generally like the tension and precision of bdb which I find a bit more food friendly, although that isn’t necessarily always the case.

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1253 Post by AD Northup » June 22nd, 2020, 4:53 pm

2010 David Leclapart L’Amateur
A n d r e w N o r t h u p

2020 WsOTY:

2015 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Noirs La Presle (#1)
1954 Fontanafredda Barbaresco
2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:
1994 Edmunds St. John Les Côtes Sauvages
2016 P. S. Garcia Grenache Piedra Lisa
2002 Perrier-Jouet Belle Époque
2005 Faja dos Padres Malvasia

T. Altmayer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1254 Post by T. Altmayer » June 22nd, 2020, 4:58 pm

Had a 2008 Veuve Clicquot. It was ok, but seemed more advanced in age that I would have expected. Some tart lemon and a little bit yeasty.
Tom

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1255 Post by Blake Brown » June 22nd, 2020, 5:08 pm

T. Altmayer wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 4:58 pm
Had a 2008 Veuve Clicquot. It was ok, but seemed more advanced in age that I would have expected. Some tart lemon and a little bit yeasty.
Hi Tom,
This has to be the first and only 08` that is more than pubescent.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1256 Post by Blake Brown » June 22nd, 2020, 5:09 pm

2008 HENRIOT BRUT MILLESIME- the excellent 2008 vintage marks the 200th anniversary for this house and this champagne honors that by being extra special; it is made from fruit from 10 1er Cru and Grand Cru villages and comprised of 50% Pinot Noir and Chardonnay finally aged for 6 years on the lees and dosed at 6 gpl; it had a clear, gold color and tiny bubbles which confirmed the long period of aging; it has fine acidity and is laden with nice, freshly ripened citrus fruit which on the palate becomes lemon zest, grapefruit, strawberry, white peach and white nectarine with a streak of honey, ginger and minerality running through; the smooth texture is the perfect compliment to this a winner.

2009 VILMART & CE COEUR du CUVEE- 80% Chardonnay, 20% Pinot Noir disgorged 3/15 w/ 8 gpl; from Les Blanches Voies Hautes vines over 55 yers old whose must comes from the Coeur de Cuvée; knowing the dosage, I was pleased that there was no discernible sweetness; as with previous bottles I’ve had, on the palate, I got ginger and spice infused honeyed apple, pear, cherry and a touch of white pepper; it was full bodied, very rich and very giving.

2008 CHARLES HEIDSIECK BRUT MILLESIME- 60% Pinot Noir, 40% Chardonnay; disgorged February 2019 with 8 gpl dosage; this was the second of a few bottles I purchased and it had fairly consistent notes; with both, I was surprised to discover it had a streak of white pepper and hazelnut running though it much like that which I’ve experienced in its sister house, Piper-Heidsieck; I again wondered what Champagne Charlie would think of this? Following its yellow gold color, came aromas of the aforementioned white pepper and hazelnut along with fresh citrus, clove and caramel; the taste profile had all of this and the citrus now is more distinct lemongrass, lime and orange zest with some apple and pear blending in; it had a lovely mousse, was full bodied, rich and delicious; but hold the hazelnut and pepper please.
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1257 Post by Frank Murray III » June 22nd, 2020, 6:13 pm

This is a $35 bubbly, farmed organically. Sweet spot. This is the 4th bottle I have had, and although the disgorgements vary, the wine stands up every time. This was the best bottle so far.
  • NV Moussé Fils Champagne Brut Rose Effusion - France, Champagne (6/22/2020)
    Same specs as the July 2019 bottle I wrote up. Virtually all Pinot Meunier, dosage of 6 g/l and disgorged October 2019. Opened the bottle yesterday. Color on this is a salmony/dark pink. This bottle has a good measure of blood orange, which is what drives the acidity. There is a juicy, strawberry component that sits within a concentrated, denser type of texture. Peach, some licorice and lime, too. Finishes with blood orange and pomelo note. This is not elegant or lithe, but more powerful and rich in tone. Delicious.
Posted from CellarTracker
20200621_180339.jpg
My best wines for 2020:
2014 Marie Courtin Champagne Efflorescence Extra Brut
2012 Minière F & R Champagne Influence Brut
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM
2015 Ulysse Collin Champagne Les Pierrières
2014 Laherte Frères Champagne BdB EB Les Grands Crayeres

Kindness matters. Dignity matters. Accountability matters. Respect matters. LEADERSHIP MATTERS!

YLee

#1258 Post by YLee » June 22nd, 2020, 10:42 pm

Frank Murray III wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 6:13 pm
This is a $35 bubbly, farmed organically. Sweet spot. This is the 4th bottle I have had, and although the disgorgements vary, the wine stands up every time. This was the best bottle so far.
  • NV Moussé Fils Champagne Brut Rose Effusion - France, Champagne (6/22/2020)
    Same specs as the July 2019 bottle I wrote up. Virtually all Pinot Meunier, dosage of 6 g/l and disgorged October 2019. Opened the bottle yesterday. Color on this is a salmony/dark pink. This bottle has a good measure of blood orange, which is what drives the acidity. There is a juicy, strawberry component that sits within a concentrated, denser type of texture. Peach, some licorice and lime, too. Finishes with blood orange and pomelo note. This is not elegant or lithe, but more powerful and rich in tone. Delicious.

20200621_180339.jpg
Cant go wrong with this. Good qpr.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Philip Liao

#1259 Post by Philip Liao » June 23rd, 2020, 10:04 am

Had a 2014 Pierre Baillette Coeur de Craie Verzenay Grand Cru. Disgorged 3/19. Blanc de noirs. Full-body and rich - creamy, yeasty, bready, with red fruit. Nice little grower champagne.
I'm not having a glass of wine, I'm having six. It's called a tasting and it's classy.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1260 Post by Frank Murray III » June 27th, 2020, 5:33 pm

Putting down some Marie Courtin with some The Tribe Called Quest bumping in the background.
  • 2013 Marie Courtin Champagne Allégeance Extra Brut - France, Champagne (6/27/2020)
    Second of two. The first bottle I opened last month, with the result of 'flawed' for my note. The experience seemed odd for a Marie Courtin wine, the bottle showing advanced. So, to decide if this was a style issue or simply a one-off bottle, I figured I would open the second of two and see. Same details as the first bottle....disgorged December 2018, no dosage, no sulfur, 100% Pinot Noir. This wine is copper colored, quite unique in that aspect as I can't recall a Rose colored this way. When cold, this bottle shows a white pepper aromatic, turning more smoky, more chene-like. There is plenty of texture in this bottle, even a bit glossy as it warms. Strawberry, mandarin orange, bitter grapefruit, watermelon and licorice. The hallmark of this wine is the acidity, woven throughout and most present into the finish where the citrus pith is prominent. Overall, there is a distinct difference in comparing this bottle to the one last month. And, the acidity and energy in this wine, the unique mix of fruit, citrus and wood will probably make some folks pause, perhaps not care for it. I do like it, but to be candid, the Efflorescence cuvee beats this cuvee to me, for sure.
20200626_173327.jpg
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

Kindness matters. Dignity matters. Accountability matters. Respect matters. LEADERSHIP MATTERS!

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1261 Post by AD Northup » July 1st, 2020, 4:13 pm

NV (2013 base) Robert Barbichon Champagne Cuvée Reserve 4 Cepages Brut - seriously good value

2020 WsOTY:

2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:

Fred Daniels

#1262 Post by Fred Daniels » July 2nd, 2020, 9:59 pm

nv clouet Rose #3. I really love the acid spine on these...
MWM seeks '28 Coutet...

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1263 Post by Blake Brown » July 3rd, 2020, 7:43 am

NV BRUNO PAILLARD BLANC de BLANC EXTRA BRUT- this is mostly made of Chardonnay fruit from Grand Cru vineyards in Le Mesnil sur Oger and Oger and is comprised of 25 wines held in reserve since 1985; disgorged June 2018 @ 5 gpl; according to the house, it is also known as “the Lace of Champagne” because of its very fine and persistent white mousse which was definitely confirmed upon tasting; it needed some time to gather up its treasures, but once that happened, it all came together to provide a really nice treat; it gave lemon, lime and kiwi fruit early on and finished with notes of honeydew melon, kumquat, pear and white peach; with bright acidity and beautiful balance, it provided a perfect palate cleansing for the remainder of the wines.
Napolean Bonaparte

Mike Hawkins

#1264 Post by Mike Hawkins » July 3rd, 2020, 8:07 am

2013 Lilbert BdB.... way to young. Opening it was a mistake on my part. Lots of mineralogy and salinity, long acid spine. Like most wines from this producer, it needs many years to reach its apogee.

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1265 Post by Blake Brown » July 3rd, 2020, 8:18 am

NV BILLECART-SALMON BRUT SOUS BOIS- this is made up of equal pars of Pinot Noir, Pinot Meunier and Chardonnay and is entirely vinified in oak casks at low temperature, undergoes partial ML and is dosed at 7 gpl and most importantly, it is fabulous; I loved its balance, elegance and classiness; the taste profile was right in the middle of my wheelhouse with classic fresh, crisp and spicy lemon, lime, blood orange, vanilla and brioche. As much as I liked the Paillard, this took it to another level and I’m on the hunt.

I've edited in the photo of this bottle since the bottles I've received have a very different colored label and I've yet to discover the significance other than suspecting they are made from different reserve batches and different times. Notes and photo of the most recent bottles forthcoming once tasted.
IMG_1911.jpeg
Last edited by Blake Brown on July 13th, 2020, 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Napolean Bonaparte

Sarah Kirschbaum

#1266 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » July 4th, 2020, 12:05 pm

Mike Hawkins wrote:
July 3rd, 2020, 8:07 am
2013 Lilbert BdB.... way to young. Opening it was a mistake on my part. Lots of mineralogy and salinity, long acid spine. Like most wines from this producer, it needs many years to reach its apogee.
Lilbert doesn't get much talk on this board, nice to see a note. Would you say their NV Grand Cru Perle Blanc de Blancs also needs many years? It was highly recommended by some friends who really know their champagne, so we bought some, but the first two bottles have seemed odd and disjointed. I believe it is a quite recent disorgement, maybe 2018?

Thanks,
SK
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

JLee

#1267 Post by JLee » July 4th, 2020, 12:09 pm

Krug GC 163. Better than I remembered a few years ago but not one of the better recent GCs.
J a m e s

Mike Hawkins

#1268 Post by Mike Hawkins » July 4th, 2020, 1:08 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
July 4th, 2020, 12:05 pm
Mike Hawkins wrote:
July 3rd, 2020, 8:07 am
Lilbert doesn't get much talk on this board, nice to see a note. Would you say their NV Grand Cru Perle Blanc de Blancs also needs many years? It was highly recommended by some friends who really know their champagne, so we bought some, but the first two bottles have seemed odd and disjointed. I believe it is a quite recent disorgement, maybe 2018?

Thanks,
SK
A few years would suffice, though I’ve only had it a couple of times. Others may be better placed to answer

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1269 Post by Frank Murray III » July 4th, 2020, 2:20 pm

• NV Marguet Champagne Grand Cru Shaman 14 Rosé - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (7/4/2020)
    My last of three. Bit of a science experiment here as I want to keep tasting across the 2014 Marguet range. Disgorged September 2017, 67% Chard and 33% Pinot Noir. No dosage and no sulfur, farmed biodynamic. Like the 2018 bottle I tasted at Marguet during our visit, this has the same peach color. Blood orange/tangerine, lime, golden apple, with a closing salinity that refreshes it. In thinking about this wine in contrast to the other Marguet 2014s (which are typically single cepage), this is more accessible and a bit softer/creamier. $40 US for this wine, I just really love this stuff.
20200703_175707.jpg
20200703_175904.jpg
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

Shay_A

#1270 Post by Shay_A » July 4th, 2020, 2:27 pm

Charles Heidsieck Rosé Reserve NV (‘08 base, disgorged ‘17). These Charles Heidsieck champagnes with good time between “laid in chalk” date and disgorgement date are truly fantastic, especially at the price.
Shay Aldriedge

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1271 Post by Frank Murray III » July 5th, 2020, 6:02 pm

Second bottle of the 2013 base wine this year (I do think this has some reserve wines it, too). Both bottles have been really outstanding, such a great value for 100% Chard. I really want to pay a visit to L-B when it is safe, meet them and really understand their farming and approach in a more intimate way. Until that time, I am really impressed with the range of wines I have tried from them and notably this cuvee.
  • NV Larmandier-Bernier Longitude - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru (7/5/2020)
    This bottle was the second of two I sourced this year, both are the 2013 base (perhaps some reserve wines in here, too) with the June 2017 disgorgement. 100% Chard, I believe 3 g/l dosage, farmed biodynamic. I paid $45 US for the wine, and it's just a smashing value. I opened the bottle yesterday and stoppered up the remaining 1/2 of it for today. This bottle seems to reflect some of the elevage from the barrels, showing a toasty/woodsy aroma, reminding me of Vilmart aromatics. Flavors of lemon peel, lime, apple and mineral. The wine overall has good complexity but what pulls me in for a wine like this is how all the parts play well together. It's just got a generosity about it, mixing with all the flavors and that kind of 'wow' in the glass that makes we want to keep drinking it, and of course buying it. This is my last 2013 disgorgement but I do think I can source some more, to go along with the 2015 and 2016 disgorgements that I also have in the cellar. Excellent.
20200704_172803.jpg
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1272 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » July 5th, 2020, 6:10 pm

Bereche Brut Réserve - yummy and a great value
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Mary Deem

#1273 Post by Mary Deem » July 5th, 2020, 6:20 pm

2014 Marie Courtin Éfflorescence - disgorged April 2019 - What a fabelous introduction to Marie Courtin. I have Frank Murray III to thank as his wonderful tasting notes inspired me to try this wine. This started off rather citric with lemon zest, lime, tart green apple skin but after a while the fruit became richer and slightly sweeter with red pinot noir fruit, apple juice, honey, and black cherries. I could taste the influence of wood but as a sort of spicy lemon bite on the tip of the tongue. This wine never seemed to get heavy or overly opulent, as the acidity, apple skin tartness, and citrus zest notes kept it feeling fresh and lively - even at room temperature.

I loved this wine so much that I almost polished off the entire bottle in one day. Normally it takes me 2-3 days to go through a bottle of wine...but the planets were aligned, my endocrine system happy, and this wine was fabelous!

This wine reminded me a little of Vouette et Sorbée's Fidèle in terms of rich yet tart pinot noir fruit and structure but the wood seems more prominent - again as a pleasing spicy citrus note as opposed to a klutzy 'oak taste' I would love to drink this alongside Vouette et Sorbée's Fidèle, Val Frison's Goustan, and Yves Ruffin's Brut for comparison's sake. This wine is a steal, drinks far above its price. This wine was part of a long overdue order from Sec Wines. My only regret is not getting a few more bottles.

It has been over a year since I had any wine due to endocrine issues. I have been battling elevated cortisol so have been staying away from alcohol and caffeine. Now that my cortisol levels appear to be back to almost normal levels, I am finally able to have some wine. While I have not posted much, I have enjoyed living vicarously through everyone else's wine adventures. This alone has helped me get over the fustration of benig on such a monastic dietary regime.

The only up side to this horrible wine diet is that it affords me the opportunity to age some of my wine rather than guzzling it down right away. It has gotten to the point where my el cheapo mini wine fridge is overflowing and wine bottles (mostly Champagne) are taking over my basement (much to my husband's horror). Heres to drinking down some wine - finally :)

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1274 Post by Frank Murray III » July 5th, 2020, 6:26 pm

Mary, really glad to hear your health is improving and you can enjoy these gifts again. It's a joy to drink good wine, and to have our health too. So fortunate.

It may time again to do another bottle of the 2014 Eff, maybe even source one or two more for the road ahead. I tend to hoard very few cuvees or sites anymore but when I find something I like, I don't mind. Thanks for the reminder on this wine, as it's cool to read about someone else digging the wine.

Awesome.
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

Mary Deem

#1275 Post by Mary Deem » July 5th, 2020, 6:48 pm

Frank - Thanks again for your wonderful tasting notes as well as those describing your trip to the Champagne region. It was the latter that inspired me to seek out some new producers (to me) like Marie Courtin. When I saw that Sec Wines had some Marie Courtin, I immediately re-read some of your tasting notes here before choosing the 2014 Éfflorescence. This wine was probably one of the 'cheaper' bottles in my order - yet I have the feeling that it will remain one of the more memorables ones.

It is nice to be among the land of the living, so to speak. My sister and maternal aunt both have endocrine and kidney issues, so my health woes seem to be a family tradition. We are all bonne vivantes stuck in bodies that require monastic lifestlyes it seems. I am just glad to be able to have the occasional glass (or bottle as the case maybe) again.

Feel free to share any suggestions. I would love to try more of Marie Courtin's wines..but also explore some of the other producers from your trip. In the meantime, keep up your wonderful notes on your Champagne journey.

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1276 Post by AD Northup » July 7th, 2020, 5:37 pm

2013 Mousse Fils Terre d’Illite

Needs more acid for me, but fun in a geeky way, and would be a big crowd pleaser

2020 WsOTY:

2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1277 Post by Blake Brown » July 8th, 2020, 11:38 am

2006 TAITTINGER COMTES de CHAMPAGNE BLANC de BLANC- we spent the h4th with Margi Williams, Burt`s daughter, Brogan Cellars, who is desiring to get into drinking and understanding champagne and I could not think of a better bring to give here the exposure to one of the current stars; as with the 30+ previous bottles I’ve enjoyed, this one shined with bright acidity and beautiful balance while giving generous amounts of spicy citrus fruit with lemon and lime most prevalent, but now some stone fruit is coming in; it also had the requisite toasty brioche note and a creamy, rich and luscious mousse which gave rise to its incredible mouthfeel; it was perhaps a touch more evolved than I can remember any previous bottle and still a long ways away from its apogee; were off to a great start with many wonderful WS and BC wines to go.
Napolean Bonaparte

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1278 Post by Warren Taranow » July 8th, 2020, 12:28 pm

Blake Brown wrote:
July 8th, 2020, 11:38 am
2006 TAITTINGER COMTES de CHAMPAGNE BLANC de BLANC- we spent the h4th with Margi Williams, Burt`s daughter, Brogan Cellars, who is desiring to get into drinking and understanding champagne and I could not think of a better bring to give here the exposure to one of the current stars; as with the 30+ previous bottles I’ve enjoyed, this one shined with bright acidity and beautiful balance while giving generous amounts of spicy citrus fruit with lemon and lime most prevalent, but now some stone fruit is coming in; it also had the requisite toasty brioche note and a creamy, rich and luscious mousse which gave rise to its incredible mouthfeel; it was perhaps a touch more evolved than I can remember any previous bottle and still a long ways away from its apogee; were off to a great start with many wonderful WS and BC wines to go.
Great note Blake. I opened one last week and concur; our notes are quite similar. I was happy to see someone admitting to drinking more of these than I, but CT proves that presumption wrong! Here's my last note, highlighting our matching opinions: "As good as ever, luscious glycerin mouthfeel, and a mouthful of rich stone fruit, orange peel, lemon creme and warm bread. This wine has never shut down."

Cheers,
Warren
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1279 Post by Blake Brown » July 9th, 2020, 12:47 pm

Warren Taranow wrote:
July 8th, 2020, 12:28 pm
Blake Brown wrote:
July 8th, 2020, 11:38 am
This wine has never shut down."

Cheers,
Warren
Your comment Warren made me think of this grouphug. It arrived on the scene and gave us all a big, perpetual, long term hug.
Napolean Bonaparte

Andrew M

#1280 Post by Andrew M » July 9th, 2020, 5:36 pm

NV Hugues Godme Rose, 1/19 disgorgement. This. Is. Awesome. I prefer my rose champagne pretty bone dry whereas I enjoy a wide range of sweetness and richness with regular champagne. This hits the mark, but the acidity doesn’t dominate, it’s not harsh by any means. Just seriously crisp and refreshing. Filled out in the mid palate after a couple hours. Love it. Paid $40 at Envoyer.
M @ k $ ! m ø v ! ç

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1281 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » July 9th, 2020, 6:17 pm

2012 Aubry Ivoire et Ebene. Had a bottle of this last year, this year is a little more shut down but still has a nice streak of acidity and chalky minerality.
CT: InZinity

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1282 Post by Blake Brown » July 9th, 2020, 7:26 pm

2006 DOM PERIGNON BRUT- I`ve loved this release since the beginning and it just keeps on getting better; my notes from the past are consistent with what I got again on this night; for me, this vintage is mindful of the 1996 and it`s been drinking so good out of the gate with assurances of grandioseness upon maturity; as experienced before; the nose was majorly inviting with assurances of pure pleasure forthcoming; it had bright acidity, a bounty of ripe citrus notes with lemon-lime most prevalent along with toasty brioche, it had a full on body, was zesty on the palate and had a long, sustained aftertaste; as I’ve commented before, it`s a wowzer.
Napolean Bonaparte

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1283 Post by Warren Taranow » July 9th, 2020, 8:48 pm

Blake Brown wrote:
July 9th, 2020, 7:26 pm
2006 DOM PERIGNON BRUT- I`ve loved this release since the beginning and it just keeps on getting better; my notes from the past are consistent with what I got again on this night; for me, this vintage is mindful of the 1996 and it`s been drinking so good out of the gate with assurances of grandioseness upon maturity; as experienced before; the nose was majorly inviting with assurances of pure pleasure forthcoming; it had bright acidity, a bounty of ripe citrus notes with lemon-lime most prevalent along with toasty brioche, it had a full on body, was zesty on the palate and had a long, sustained aftertaste; as I’ve commented before, it`s a wowzer.
Blake,
We finally (partially) disagree on something! I thought the ‘06 Dom was utterly unremarkable and dull a few years ago. Thankfully, a bottle opened last month was as you described; wow!
Cheers, and keep those notes coming!
Warren
Last edited by Warren Taranow on July 10th, 2020, 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CT - WST

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1284 Post by Frank Murray III » July 10th, 2020, 5:34 pm

• 2012 Larmandier-Bernier Champagne Terre de Vertus Premier Cru - France, Champagne (7/10/2020)
    Second of two, same specs as previous bottle--March 2018 disgorgement, 100% Chard, no dosage. This bottle seems more ready, as if time moved it along faster than the other bottle. The bubbles were less intense, the texture more softened. There is an apple sauce quality to the fruit. It's not mushy or bland like an apple sauce but the flavor signature reminds me of apple sauce. The aromatics are leesy, a little toasty with citrus. The palate still maintains a stony quality, a wet stone note that mixes with the lemony, apple. There is enough remaining energy in the wine that I am not concerned about further aging so don't be discouraged by my note. I just find that this bottle drinks more complete, a bit more resolved than the one from this past February. I have a remaining mag and 2 750s, that I will drink over the next couple years.
20200709_163200.jpg
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1285 Post by AD Northup » July 10th, 2020, 5:54 pm

2012 Roses de Jeanne Cote de Bechalin...kind of disjointed at the moment, hopefully just a phase

2020 WsOTY:

2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:

dbailey

#1286 Post by dbailey » July 11th, 2020, 6:32 am

Had 2 bottles of the veuve clicquot extra brut extra old in the last couple of days. Didn't like this at all on release 3 years ago. Found it very heavy/ponderous. What a transformation 3 years of storage have produced. Either that or my first few bottles 3 years ago were faulty. The wine is delightfully graceful and elegant. Really in a great place now.
Dan

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1287 Post by alan weinberg » July 11th, 2020, 9:53 am

Posted on a 2002 Marcel Moineaux BdB that I loved. Know little about the producer and it was a lone bottle purchased for an unremembered reason. Nobody commented so I suspect there’s not much info. Incredible yellow orchard fruits and brightness.

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1288 Post by Warren Taranow » July 11th, 2020, 4:46 pm

dbailey wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 6:32 am
Had 2 bottles of the veuve clicquot extra brut extra old in the last couple of days. Didn't like this at all on release 3 years ago. Found it very heavy/ponderous. What a transformation 3 years of storage have produced. Either that or my first few bottles 3 years ago were faulty. The wine is delightfully graceful and elegant. Really in a great place now.
Dan,
That's great to hear. I drank two of my three bottles a while back, and thought okay, maybe meh...I wanted to love them more than I did. With reserves from ’88, ’96, 06, ’08, plus a little ’09 and ’10, I expected old wine complexity.
It sounds like once again a wine suffered from my impatience. I'll likely try my last sometime soon.
Cheers,
Warren

CT - WST

Jason R.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1289 Post by Jason R. » July 12th, 2020, 9:16 am

NV Bérêche Brut Reserve. So great. Started with refreshing citrus notes that led into stony fruit, with lovely zest throughout. As it opened, there was a faint nuttiness on the palate that contributed to a very appealing savoriness on the finish. I'm new to the Champagne thing (thanks FMIII and Envoyer [thankyou.gif] ).
R o b e r t s o n

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1290 Post by Frank Murray III » July 12th, 2020, 4:56 pm

Jason, keep going...there is a lot to find and experience!

One more from the weekend. Another good one.
  • 2014 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres - France, Champagne (7/12/2020)
    Opened yesterday. This is first of two I bought in the summer of 2019. Disgorged January 2018, 100% Chardonnay, dosage between 2 and 4 grams. What strikes me about this cuvee is the energy: it's hard to miss it, as it hits my palate and stays there through the finish. There is also a generosity about the texture, as it fans out with lemon peel, green apple and tangerine. The finish is where the lemon peel really takes over, adding a cut and length that is very impressive. This has the intensity of Vilmart, the same core of acidity but in a leaner package. I really dig this stuff, a lot. It's the kind of wine I would drink with bubbles, but enjoy it as much when the wine its still.
20200711_172747.jpg
20200711_172808.jpg
Last edited by Frank Murray III on July 12th, 2020, 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

Andrew M

#1291 Post by Andrew M » July 12th, 2020, 5:23 pm

Frank Murray III wrote:
July 12th, 2020, 4:56 pm
Jason, keep going...there is a lot to find and experience!

One more from the weekend. Another good one.
  • 2014 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres - France, Champagne (7/12/2020)
    Opened yesterday. This is first of two I bought in the summer of 2019. Disgorged January 2018, 100% Chardonnay, dosage between 2 and 4 grams. What strikes me about this cuvee is the energy: it's hard to miss it, as it hits my palate and stays there through the finish. There is also a generosity about the texture, as it fans out with lemon peel and tangerine. The finish is where the lemon peel really takes over, adding a cut and length that is very impressive. This has the intensity of Vilmart, the same core of acidity but in a leaner package. I really dig this stuff, a lot. It's the kind of wine I would drink with bubbles, but enjoy it as much when the wine its still.

20200711_172747.jpg
20200711_172808.jpg
Nice note. I’ve never tried this producer but picked up a ‘15 LGC on a whim. Not sure about that vintage for Chardonnay in particular, I’m guessing it’ll be a little more open than ‘15, so ill probably take this bottle for a spin in the next few months...
M @ k $ ! m ø v ! ç

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1292 Post by Frank Murray III » July 12th, 2020, 5:36 pm

Andrew, I have the 2015 on pre-order, too. As soon as it arrives, I'll open one and post a note. What other Champagnes have you been enjoying lately?
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1293 Post by Blake Brown » July 13th, 2020, 7:42 am

NV PIERRE GIMONNET & FILS EXTRA BRUT BLANC de BLANC COTES de BLANC 1er Cru- disgorged 12/ 20/18 at 4 gpl and made from a reserve of wines from 2009-2013; this had very nice bright acidity and a primary citrus fruit profile that unlike most BdBs I`ve had, was more lime expressed than lemon; there’s some pear and apple as well along with a streak of minerals and saline; it was very crisp and refreshing and a perfect drink on a warm summer evening.

Cheers,
Blake
Attachments
7B3369D4-D794-4E4C-9319-0AF714F56606_4_5005_c.jpeg
Napolean Bonaparte

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1294 Post by Blake Brown » July 13th, 2020, 7:55 am

FYI See my post #1265 re the NV BILLECART-SALMON BRUT SOUS BOIS. I've added a photo of the label after realizing it is a different color than the ones I just received so for those who have or will have this wine, note label and thus probably content difference.
Napolean Bonaparte

MitchTallan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1295 Post by MitchTallan » July 13th, 2020, 11:31 am

NV Marguet Champagne Grand Cru Shaman 14 Rosé - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (7/4/2020)
My last of three. Bit of a science experiment here as I want to keep tasting across the 2014 Marguet range. Disgorged September 2017, 67% Chard and 33% Pinot Noir. No dosage and no sulfur, farmed biodynamic. Like the 2018 bottle I tasted at Marguet during our visit, this has the same peach color. Blood orange/tangerine, lime, golden apple, with a closing salinity that refreshes it. In thinking about this wine in contrast to the other Marguet 2014s (which are typically single cepage), this is more accessible and a bit softer/creamier. $40 US for this wine, I just really love this stuff.
I bought six from Robert Panzer. I had opened one for my wife's birthday but opened two last Saturday night when some friends came over for a backyard cookout with distancing. "Social distancing" being a phrase that bothers me. As opposed to what? I mean yeah, I recall a Richard Thompson song "Keep your Distance", but....
This was killer. I ordered another case. Frank got a better deal. But I am happy to pay $45.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1296 Post by Frank Murray III » July 13th, 2020, 12:07 pm

MitchTallan wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 11:31 am
NV Marguet Champagne Grand Cru Shaman 14 Rosé - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (7/4/2020)
I bought six from Robert Panzer. I had opened one for my wife's birthday but opened two last Saturday night when some friends came over for a backyard cookout with distancing. "Social distancing" being a phrase that bothers me. As opposed to what? I mean yeah, I recall a Richard Thompson song "Keep your Distance", but....
This was killer. I ordered another case. Frank got a better deal. But I am happy to pay $45.
Mitch, good to hear you liked it. Have you had other Marguet cuvees?
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

MitchTallan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1297 Post by MitchTallan » July 13th, 2020, 12:38 pm

Frank Murray III wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 12:07 pm
MitchTallan wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 11:31 am
Mitch, good to hear you liked it. Have you had other Marguet cuvees?
In the past yes. Always blanc though. They have been distributed pretty well here in Ohio and one restaurant in particular that my wife loves, The Winds in Yellow Springs OH used to have Marguet as their house bubbly.

MitchTallan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1298 Post by MitchTallan » July 13th, 2020, 1:00 pm

Btw, I am dumb. What I have is the '16, not the '14.

Al Osterheld

#1299 Post by Al Osterheld » July 13th, 2020, 2:10 pm

I'm also a big fan of the 2014 Laherte Frerees LGC, opened a couple over the past few months (one for a Champagne zoom with friends).

-Al

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1300 Post by Frank Murray III » July 13th, 2020, 8:19 pm

Al Osterheld wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 2:10 pm
I'm also a big fan of the 2014 Laherte Frerees LGC, opened a couple over the past few months (one for a Champagne zoom with friends).

-Al
Al, my wife and I finished off the last couple ounces tonight, just enough for a small glass. The wine was mostly still, and it's just gorgeous. What a beautiful composition of Chardonnay. The wine was so good tonight, I have decided to stick it on my WOTY list for 2020. Beautiful stuff.
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

Return to “Wine Talk”