GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Which Champagne are you drinking?

#1201 Post by Neal.Mollen » May 17th, 2020, 8:18 am

Blake Brown wrote:
May 17th, 2020, 8:05 am
Neal.Mollen wrote:
May 17th, 2020, 8:01 am
Sorry to hear the 2012 Roederer was less than great; just bought a few this week.

We had the Lanson Champagne Rose Noble Cuvee last night. It isn't the most complex champagne I've had recently, but it was nonetheless a joy to drink.
Hold on Neal. I've had at least 5 bottles of the 12` Roederer and the Rose too, and all were great. I'm also a fan of the Lanson and if you like that, you'll love the 12` Delamotte.
Thanks Blake. Haven't had the '12 Delamotte but I am 100% sure I'll love it; it is one of my favorite producers
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Andre M
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1202 Post by Andre M » May 17th, 2020, 2:48 pm

Guiborat Thethys 16
A M u l y o n o
CT: IndoWino

Andrew M

#1203 Post by Andrew M » May 17th, 2020, 3:16 pm

First dance with Peters' Cuvee Reserve. Disgorged November 2018. I could see this taking a seat next to L-B Longitude as my go-to BdB, it's really good, and a good contrast to Longitude. Will grab a few more from MacArthur and try to bury a couple to see how they evolve 6-8 years after disgorgement.
M @ k $ ! m ø v ! ç

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1204 Post by AD Northup » May 22nd, 2020, 6:12 pm

• NV Charles Mignon Champagne Grand Cru Cuvée Comte de Marne - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (5/22/2020)
    2014 Base year. Very pale straw yellow color. Medium sized mousse. Crisp sour apple on the nose, and some stone fruit sweetness. When tasting, the acidity creates a nice back bone leading the lemon curd land other citrus flavors onto the tongue, followed by more sweet apple and some relative savory/mineral notes. The 7 g/l dosage keeps it nicely in balance. A nice cuvée from this house. (90 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
A n d r e w N o r t h u p

2020 WsOTY:

2015 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Noirs La Presle (#1)
1954 Fontanafredda Barbaresco
2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:
1994 Edmunds St. John Les Côtes Sauvages
2016 P. S. Garcia Grenache Piedra Lisa
2002 Perrier-Jouet Belle Époque
2005 Faja dos Padres Malvasia

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1205 Post by Blake Brown » May 22nd, 2020, 6:39 pm

2012 POL ROGER BLANC de BLANC BRUT- this was the 2nd bottle I`ve had in the past 2 months and the notes were consistent with this very easy and elegant, mild mannered bubbly that has fresh and crisp citrus fruit with lemon and lime most evident plus honeysuckle and lemongrass notes blended in; it was medium bodied with a light, frothy mousse; this is made from Grands Crus of the Côte des Blancs: Oiry, Chouilly, Cramant, Avize and Oger and aged 7 years prior to release.
Attachments
860EE224-615B-4FD6-A805-E978C9FBE775_1_201_a.jpeg
Last edited by Blake Brown on June 7th, 2020, 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1206 Post by Warren Taranow » May 22nd, 2020, 9:15 pm

We were supposed to be eating at RimRock and staying at the Whistler Four Seasons, but the border is closed as is most of the world. We consoled ourselves with 2006 Taittinger BdB Comte; as good as ever, luscious glycerin mouthfeel, and a mouthful of rich stone fruit, orange peel, lemon creme and warm bread. This wine has never shut down. I have enough that some might make it to to some semblance of maturity, but I've consumed an embarrassing number of these young.

One bottle wasn't enough tonight, so we followed it up with a 1/2 bottle of 2008 Deutz Rosé Amour de Deutz. Whoa, this is different, but at least as good as the Comte! Served at cellar temperature, it whacked us in the nose with bruised strawberries. The palate had creamy strawberries, but also red grapefruit, sweet flowers, minerals and a long finish.

A very good start to our weekend.
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

Brent S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1207 Post by Brent S » May 22nd, 2020, 11:28 pm

Legras nv b d b. Yikes (as in this is really great). Went back and ordered 3 more. $30 each from enjoyer. What a deal.
Br@nt $prenkle

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1208 Post by Blake Brown » May 23rd, 2020, 6:49 am

Warren Taranow wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 9:15 pm
We were supposed to be eating at RimRock and staying at the Whistler Four Seasons, but the border is closed as is most of the world. We consoled ourselves with 2006 Taittinger BdB Comte; as good as ever, luscious glycerin mouthfeel, and a mouthful of rich stone fruit, orange peel, lemon creme and warm bread. This wine has never shut down. I have enough that some might make it to to some semblance of maturity, but I've consumed an embarrassing number of these young.

One bottle wasn't enough tonight, so we followed it up with a 1/2 bottle of 2008 Deutz Rosé Amour de Deutz. Whoa, this is different, but at least as good as the Comte! Served at cellar temperature, it whacked us in the nose with bruised strawberries. The palate had creamy strawberries, but also red grapefruit, sweet flowers, minerals and a long finish.

A very good start to our weekend.
Agreed Warren, the Comtes just keeps on keeping and after drinking close to an unembarrassed 30 bottles now with another 8-9 in the cellar, it has to go down as one of the best buys I've ever made. BTW, the 07` Comtes Rose is the bomb too, drinking beautifully out of the gate with generous amounts of red fruit notes in spades

Enjoy your weekend.
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Vince T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1209 Post by Vince T » May 23rd, 2020, 1:05 pm

PSA: K&L has the '06 Billecart-Salmon "Cuvée Nicolas François Billecart" for $99. champagne.gif
T s 3 n g

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1210 Post by Frank Murray III » May 25th, 2020, 5:06 pm

• 2010 Rémi Leroy Champagne Brut - France, Champagne (5/25/2020)
    Finishing this up today, opened yesterday. This was an orphan bottle that was in local retail for $40 so I figured I'd grab it given the pleasure I have got from Remi's wines. Disgorged April 2014, roughly 75% Pinot Noir, the rest Chardonnay. Dosage not listed but I think Remi told me it was around 7g. The wine is mostly still today, as I didn't stopper it well enough. This is terrific as still, mixing some black cherry, dried pear, yellow apple, savory lime and enough salinity to knit it all together. The color is just starting to darken so there is that visual cue that the wine is older, yet there is plenty of structure still within the wine, so it might be cool to know what this wine is like in another few years. I've got the only TN on the wine, perhaps attributed to having to know how to read the bottle etching code on the outside at the bottom of the glass. It's similar to what Marie Courtin and Larmandier-Bernier do with their coding. Anyway, good bottle, priced killer and was glad I snagged this and enjoyed it.
20200524_152218.jpg
My best wines for 2020:
2014 Marie Courtin Champagne Efflorescence Extra Brut
2012 Minière F & R Champagne Influence Brut
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM
2015 Ulysse Collin Champagne Les Pierrières
2014 Laherte Frères Champagne BdB EB Les Grands Crayeres

Kindness matters. Dignity matters. Accountability matters. Respect matters. LEADERSHIP MATTERS!

Will Vetzi

#1211 Post by Will Vetzi » May 25th, 2020, 6:03 pm

09 Fleury Boléro. >9 years on the lees, aged under cork if my facts are straight. 100% PN, extra brut. Friggin awesome.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1212 Post by alan weinberg » May 25th, 2020, 8:18 pm

Diebolt-Vallois brut Cramant champagne blend rosé. Solid but not awesome.

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1213 Post by Blake Brown » May 28th, 2020, 8:08 am

Gathered with a few friends to taste some BdBs while exercising safe and healthy parameters for the social interaction. Putting together a full report, but here's a few TNs:

NV GUY CHAMPAGNE BLANC de BLANC BRUT RESERVE- made from grand cru vineyards in Mesnil, Oger and Avize, this entry level bubbly from this house got off to a slow start with some weird notes of hay, straw, herbal and hazelnut laden stone fruit delivered somewhat fractionalized; somehow, it all came together and marinated into something much more approachable and pleasant; it had a somewhat viscous texture which gave it nice feel and lemon and yellow peach flavors dominated the taste profile.

NV PIERRE PETERS CUVEE de RESERVE BLANC de BLANC- when I saw this, my mind immediately went to one of the top visits we had in Champagne years ago when we spent the afternoon with Rudolph and tasted numerous bottles, some coming from his father’s cellar; I believe this is the latest release and comes from a blend of 50% of a 2014 base year and 50% from last year’s blend, which had gone into the family solera of reserve wines that dates back to 1988; 6.5% gpl dosage; pear and apple fruit are most prevalent initially but in time, mineral laden mango, apricot and mandarin come in and add more layered depth and feel; it`s drinking really good now and will no doubt benefit from some time in the bottle.

2006 DOM RUINART BLANC de BLANC BRUT- disgorged 12/ 2016 with 4.5 gpl dosage; comprised of chardonnay Grands Crus: 63% from the Côte des Blancs (predominantly Chouilly, Le Mesnil and Avize) and 37% from the northern slope of the Montagne de Reims (predominantly Sillery and Puisieulx); this was the antithesis of the above champagne and the WOTD as it turns out; there is a sense of royalty in the nose with inviting aromas of spicy citrus which on the palate turns out to be lemon, apple and white nectarine; it has body and a luscious mousse, amazing balance and brutish acidity; it’s all I ever desire in a champagne and exudes class along with its charming elegance.

2006 TAITTINGER COMTES de CHAMPAGNE BLANC de BLANC BRUT bottle #1 of 2- this may be bottle #30 if my count is accurate and as good as any; it had the requisite toasty brioche with generous and balanced amount of spicy citrus notes, lemon and lime most prevalent; the mousse is creamy, rich and luscious adding substantial mouthfeel to the fabulous experience.

1996 SALON BLANC de BLANC LE MESNIL BRUT- this was such a wonderful, legendary champagne for our hosts to pull out for the occasion; I had actually thought about bringing one, but opted for the Ruinart instead and now I get both; I actually loved it although some others commented it had too many oxidative notes for them; I`m am not a fan of champagnes that reach that state and prefer to drink them before they express nutty and Sherry like flavors; the color was a surprising medium yellow and the nose had a touch of butterscotch/ caramel, but I got more creme brûlée and lemon meringue; golden delicious apple and white peach joined in with a touch of gardenia in the background; it was so creamy and rich and the goodies just glided to the back end with ease and then held on for a lasting finish; for me, this was just at its apex and I`m thinking I need to open 1 of the 3 I have remaining sooner than later.

There's more, but they will accompany these in the full thread once I get it together.
Napolean Bonaparte

Sarah Kirschbaum

#1214 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » May 28th, 2020, 10:12 am

alan weinberg wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 8:18 pm
Diebolt-Vallois brut Cramant champagne blend rosé. Solid but not awesome.
Agreed. I love the Prestige and the Fleur de Passion and buy a lot of them. The other bottlings I can't get excited about.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1215 Post by Frank Murray III » June 1st, 2020, 5:03 pm

• 2014 Vilmart & Cie Champagne Premier Cru Grand Cellier d'Or - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru (5/31/2020)
    Opened yesterday. Disgorged June 2018, 80% Chard / 20% PN. Delicious bottle, with golden apple, white flowers, tangerine and the same stony texture as the bottle from February. Finishes with lime, mineral and note of honey. The marriage of opulence and minerality, which is for me the Vilmart signature.......my wife and I finished the final glass tonight, a full two days after we had first opened the bottle. The wine is still, displaying a fresh cut pippin apple, just as if I had cut slices right off the fruit. Then, a beam of lemon cutting right through. Delicious.

IMG_20200601_123002_961.jpg
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

Kindness matters. Dignity matters. Accountability matters. Respect matters. LEADERSHIP MATTERS!

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1216 Post by Frank Murray III » June 1st, 2020, 6:01 pm

One more..opened yesterday and we didn't have much of it. Taking a bigger whack at the bottle tonight. Such a screamer of a value.
  • NV Chartogne-Taillet Champagne Cuvée Sainte Anne - France, Champagne (6/1/2020)
    Last tasted this at a public tasting this past November. Same disgorgement too, January 2019. Dosage is 4-5 g/l, with mix of three cepages: Chard/PN/PM, 60% base 2016 plus reserve wines. I like this bottle. Mix of grapefruit, peach/apricot, savory apple, strawberry, lees, with some creamy tones (when it is warmer). I paid about $32 US for this and at this is a great example of grower Champagne that won't be hard on the wallet.
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

Steve Nordhoff
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#1217 Post by Steve Nordhoff » June 1st, 2020, 6:22 pm

Aurélien Lurquin Champagne Rosé de Meunier - this is NV but is actually 2016. Apparently, Frank's Courtin Rose and this were born on a bad lunar cycle. A rare bottle, just 150 bottles or so made. Smelled of tomato and strawberry with some varnish and a nick of Sherry. Probably VA (which is rare in Champagne). Simple on the palate and could not shake the odd flavors and aromas. Not oxidized, just not good. Bummer.
Last edited by Steve Nordhoff on June 2nd, 2020, 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
ITB -Riverain Vineyards

AstridKG

#1218 Post by AstridKG » June 1st, 2020, 8:45 pm

M. Brugnon from Wine Access. Dosage (6g/l) is noticeable for me. Not as complex as I hoped it would be given the Pinot Noir content (35%). Fine bubbles, green apples, overripe Bartlett pear, and a floral aspect I can't place.
A. K 3 3 L

m. ristev

#1219 Post by m. ristev » June 1st, 2020, 8:49 pm

Steve Nordhoff wrote:
June 1st, 2020, 6:22 pm
Aurélien Lurquin Champagne Rosé de Meunier - this is NV bust is actually 2016. Apparently, Frank's Courtin Rose and this were born on a bad lunar cycle. A rare bottle, just 150 bottles or so made. Smelled of tomato and strawberry with some varnish and a nick of Sherry. Probably VA (which is rare in Champagne). Simple on the palate and could not shake the odd flavors and aromas. Not oxidized, just not good. Bummer.
i had a bottle of his meunier bdn and thought it was on the dilute side, seriously lacking concentration compared to a prevost meunier. don't understand the hype at all other than the fact that production is miniscule.
mајкл

Brad Baker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1220 Post by Brad Baker » June 2nd, 2020, 6:43 am

Lurquin's still wines are better than his Champagnes and that is really where his heart is at. It is fun to try his bubbles as they are extremely limited, but pricing is usually much higher than the quality.

As to the comment about VA not being so common in Champagne, the last decade has seen it become more of a problem with a number of the smaller producers - especially those using oak and a low/no sulfur regime.
Brad Baker
The Champagne Warrior

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1221 Post by Blake Brown » June 4th, 2020, 12:25 pm

Excepted from a thread just posted:

2007 TAITTINGER COMTES de CHAMPAGNE BLANC de BLANC- many of us have had the 06` and other vintages of this marvelous champagne, but few have had the 07` which has not received a lot of love from Comtes followers; I’ve liked every bottle and this one joins the list as it had very enjoyable citrus notes with a touch of brioche and spice being delivered in a creamy mousse throughout; it is not quite as rich nor full bodied as the 06`, but its bright acidity, taste profile and texture all serve to make this a winner IMHO.

2007 TAITTINGER COMTES de CHAMPAGNE BRUT ROSE- 70% Pinot Noir, 30% Chardonnay; again, I’ve had a few of these and loved every bottle; it has a mouthful of fresh red fruit with red cherry being most prevalent; it’s creamy and rich and full bodied with finesse and elegance. This is literally a “glass” bowl full of cherries.

2008 LOUIS ROEDERER CRISTAL BRUT- 60% Pinot Noir, 40% Chardonnay; my friends have spanked my hands for opening too many of this great champagne before its time and so I have set the stash aside, but here it shows up and I`m again reminded of how much potential, class and reverence this has rightfully deserved; this bottle had beautiful balance and gave up lots of treasures from the nose through the tail; unlike other bottles, this was much more expressive out of the gate and the nose was very inviting with fresh citrus notes which translated into lemon, lime and green apple on the palate along with a new introduction of yellow peach; there’s a bit of saline and hint of spice and all is nice and it just needs to age and develop as it surely will.
As I have remarked previously, “you just know this is a wolf in sheep's clothing; so it’s not time to wolf it down and I have positioned my remaining bottles in the cellar in such a way as to keep my fricking hands off them”.

2004 BOLLINGER R.D. EXTRA BRUT- 66% Pinot Noir with 34% Chardonnay from 16 crus, 88% of which are classified as Grand Cru; yellow gold color; it had huge aromatics of stone fruit, citrus, vanilla and brioche; it was tangy, lively and had bracing acidity that stimulated the tactile receptors on my tongue; it also had weight and substance and if not for the bubbles, this could pass for a classy white Burg; I loved it although a few others did not.

2012 LOUIS ROEDERER BRUT- 70% Pinot Noir, 30% Chardonnay; last year, a  member of my dinner group brought this and it was so good, I just had to get some after having already fallen in love with the 12` Rose; as my previous notes reflect, this is very generous, giving nice spicy, honeyed and toasty, mineral infused citrus fruit, especially lemon zest; its round and seamless and has bright acidity as well as being in perfect balance; it exudes class and elegance as it glides across the palate all the way to the back end.

2008 GASTON-CHIQUET "OR PREMIER CRU" BRUT- 60% Pinot Noir, 40% Chardonnay and was disgorged in July of 2018, after over 9 years aging sur latte; I loved this while sipping it for the first time ever as it really has all of the hallmarks of a fine bubbly while being pretty serious with bold, expressive notes that include peach, apricot and nectarine with underlying citrus notes and accents of spice and creme brûlée; it’s super rich and full-bodied with a creamy texture. This stood out big and tall against those before it.

2012 J. LASSALLE SPECIAL CLUB ROSE- 1er Cru; we have another winner here as this was so generous and giving; it had a huge inviting red fruity nose that translated into raspberry and red cherry on the palate; the frothy, creamy mousse served to enhance the tactile senses and this just kept on unfolding with more nuances showing up; yes, it’s full of energy and vibrantly young, but has so much structure to support a brilliant and pleasing future experience for all who partake.
Last edited by Blake Brown on June 6th, 2020, 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Napolean Bonaparte

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1222 Post by Jayson Cohen » June 4th, 2020, 1:20 pm

Thanks for more great Champagne notes, Blake.

Your notes remind me of a question. Have you compared or have a view on the the Roederer 12 Rose versus the 12 Rose Stark.

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1223 Post by Blake Brown » June 4th, 2020, 2:34 pm

Jayson Cohen wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 1:20 pm
Thanks for more great Champagne notes, Blake.

Your notes remind me of a question. Have you compared or have a view on the the Roederer 12 Rose versus the 12 Rose Stark.
Jayson, I have not had the 12` Stark Rose so can't give you the comp. I'm a big fan of the 12` Rose. Tell me how the Steak version is.
Napolean Bonaparte

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1224 Post by Jim Stewart » June 6th, 2020, 5:30 pm

Opened a couple of bottles tonight for Jacqueline's birthday
Andre Jacquart Blanc de Blancs Brut Nature Mesnil Experience Grand Cru NV. Our first zero dosage champagne and a Blanc de Blanc at that. Everyone liked it and me especially. Dry, minerally, almost salty, with leesy fruit which I register as pleasantly tart.
Ployez-Jacquemart Extra Brut Rose. Almost demi-sec at first taste after the Brut Nature. Nice fruit. Lovely bubbles. Sure to please and it did.
Age merely shows what children we remain.
-Goethe

But I've just noticed that my mind is asleep.
-Rimbaud

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1225 Post by Frank Murray III » June 6th, 2020, 5:53 pm

• 2014 Marguet Champagne Grand Cru Aÿ - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (6/6/2020)
    I've tasted through nearly all of the 2014 Marguet range and my conclusion continues to be a vintage that is structured and powerful. This bottle of Ay was in that same vein, although I did find it to be more approachable than some of the other Ambonnay lieux-dits, for example. Disgorged February 2019, roughly 60% Pinot Noir and 40% Chard, no dosage. Raspberry, plum, apple and the same powerful, lasered textured that has been a feature of the vintage. We crushed through this in just over an hour so I have nothing more to add based on any beneficial overnight oxidation.
20200605_175147.jpg
20200605_175202.jpg
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1226 Post by Neal.Mollen » June 6th, 2020, 6:53 pm

Vince T wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 1:05 pm
PSA: K&L has the '06 Billecart-Salmon "Cuvée Nicolas François Billecart" for $99. champagne.gif
I was SO tempted.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1227 Post by Neal.Mollen » June 6th, 2020, 6:57 pm

Blake Brown wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 6:39 pm
2010 POL ROGER BLANC de BLANC BRUT- this was the 2nd bottle I`ve had in the past 2 months and the notes were consistent with this very easy and elegant, mild mannered bubbly that has fresh and crisp citrus fruit with lemon and lime most evident plus honeysuckle and lemongrass notes blended in; it was medium bodied with a light, frothy mousse; this is made from Grands Crus of the Côte des Blancs: Oiry, Chouilly, Cramant, Avize and Oger and aged 7 years prior to release.
2010 (note) or 2012 (pic)? I haven't seen the 2012 on offer (bt to be frank I haven't really looked)

We had the Bereche Brut Reserve tonight. If your jam is a focused, dry, lithe style of champagne coalesced around the acidity, this is a really nice bottle. If you're looking for brioche and voluptuousness, look elsewhere. Really nice, and I think maybe better with food

Andrew M

#1228 Post by Andrew M » June 6th, 2020, 7:44 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
June 6th, 2020, 6:53 pm
Vince T wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 1:05 pm
I was SO tempted.
I could see this being a polarizing wine. To me it tasted milky, creamy, lactic, uber-malo, whatever else you can call it. Like someone was trying to engineer Comtes of the same vintage. But if you like that sort of thing (and I enjoyed it), I’d back up the truck and buy at least a case at that price. You can do a lot worse for the money. I grabbed a few myself, my wife is crazy for it, so much so I was forced to “donate” my taste when we visited Billecart last year.
M @ k $ ! m ø v ! ç

Al Osterheld

#1229 Post by Al Osterheld » June 6th, 2020, 9:05 pm

I like Bereche Brut Reserve. Need to explore some of their other bottlings.

-Al

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1230 Post by Blake Brown » June 7th, 2020, 7:40 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
June 6th, 2020, 6:57 pm
Blake Brown wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 6:39 pm
2010 POL ROGER BLANC de BLANC BRUT- this was the 2nd bottle I`ve had in the past 2 months and the notes were consistent with this very easy and elegant, mild mannered bubbly that has fresh and crisp citrus fruit with lemon and lime most evident plus honeysuckle and lemongrass notes blended in; it was medium bodied with a light, frothy mousse; this is made from Grands Crus of the Côte des Blancs: Oiry, Chouilly, Cramant, Avize and Oger and aged 7 years prior to release.
2010 (note) or 2012 (pic)? I haven't seen the 2012 on offer (bt to be frank I haven't really looked)

We had the Bereche Brut Reserve tonight. If your jam is a focused, dry, lithe style of champagne coalesced around the acidity, this is a really nice bottle. If you're looking for brioche and voluptuousness, look elsewhere. Really nice, and I think maybe better with food
2012 as shown- thanks for noticing and letting me know.
Napolean Bonaparte

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#1231 Post by Merrill Lindquist » June 7th, 2020, 8:00 am

Champagne Sunday...Pol Roger Brut Reserve. I love this one as a daily drinker.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Jan Janas

#1232 Post by Jan Janas » June 7th, 2020, 11:21 pm

Moutard Rose Prestige NV:

After seeing the praise this gets on the forum I decided to give it a go. For the price, this exceed expectations, offering beautiful aromas of nuts, honey, and strawberry jam. On the palate, it is biscuity and honey-like, but without verging to overt sweetness, instead staying nutty and brambly. The acidity cuts though at the end giving it great balance.

Vilmart Grand Reserve NV:

I wasn't sure about this one upon opening it. It is a 2017 disgorgement so should have had enough time to settle down in bottle. At the beginning though the richness was overwhelming, with a strong grape-y mid-palate that made the wine very imbalanced. The day after, however, the wine shifted completely, with no sings of the grape-y taste I was getting the day before. The wine is now quite complex, rich and elegant at the same time, with a biscuity, buttery taste on perfectly integrated acidity and minerality. Great stuff. I have a little bit more left and it keeps getting better!

Should I actually have decanted or opened the Vilmart beforehand? Anyone has had similar experiences?

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1233 Post by Blake Brown » June 8th, 2020, 7:17 am

Jan Janas wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 11:21 pm

After seeing the praise this gets on the forum I decided to give it a go. For the price, this exceed expectations, offering beautiful aromas of nuts, honey, and strawberry jam. On the palate, it is biscuity and honey-like, but without verging to overt sweetness, instead staying nutty and brambly. The acidity cuts though at the end giving it great balance.

I wasn't sure about this one upon opening it. It is a 2017 disgorgement so should have had enough time to settle down in bottle. At the beginning though the richness was overwhelming, with a strong grape-y mid-palate that made the wine very imbalanced. The day after, however, the wine shifted completely, with no sings of the grape-y taste I was getting the day before. The wine is now quite complex, rich and elegant at the same time, with a biscuity, buttery taste on perfectly integrated acidity and minerality. Great stuff. I have a little bit more left and it keeps getting better!

Should I actually have decanted or opened the Vilmart beforehand? Anyone has had similar experiences?
Re your experience with the Vilmart, I've had that with others and had the same thought about decanting. Have not done so, but still think it's a good call and will give it a try next time when it seems to be needed.
Napolean Bonaparte

Mike Hawkins

#1234 Post by Mike Hawkins » June 9th, 2020, 6:05 pm

2008:Philipponnat 1522... no real wow factor Compared to the 2002 but pleasant enough. Still very young.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#1235 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » June 10th, 2020, 2:26 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
March 28th, 2020, 12:45 pm
NV Olivier Horiot Champagne Métisse Noirs et Blancs Extra Brut
Purchased in France, in cellar for ~1 month before opening. We were introduced to this champagne by a good sommelier friend in Spain, having never heard of Horiot before that. Liked it enough to make a purchase and very glad to have done so! Rich, deep and complex nose, un peu sauvage, but nicely put together with some red fruit character in evidence. Well delineated and lively palate, with a slight perception of sweetness causing raised eyebrows knowing this is zero dosage (called extra brut in CT, but the back label say non-dosé). May 2018 disgorgement, 2015 base with 15-20% reserve wine. 80% pinot noir, 20% pinot blanc. Perhaps the latter gives that sense of sweetness? In any case, it made the wine a very good match for friend chicken with a drizzle of honey. Very enjoyable bottle, serious but not intellectual. I think it will benefit from a few years as well. Excellent quality for the price.
Another bottle of this wine, the second from a case, after sitting for another 2.5 months and it's on another level. Elegant and precise, displaying much more of its brut nature nature, as it were, though the fruit is still beautifully sweet. Nice apple blossom and a spicy note that I'm loving. Very fine mousse, and singularly compelling nose, just walking the line where freshness blends into some confectionary notes. This is the wine I remember loving back in Spain last year!

We took a large delivery of champagne from France in February. We had 4 different wines show awkward and disjointed after roughly a month in the cellar, so we've stayed away from anything from this shipment for another 2 months. This is the third of those 4 that has showed way better for the extra sit time. I firmly believe anything that has come over on a container needs considerable time sitting to regain its balance and equilibrium. I know many don't believe in travel shock, and that's just fine. As for me, I'm going to wait.

Al Osterheld

#1236 Post by Al Osterheld » June 10th, 2020, 8:07 pm

Gary Westby, the Champagne buyer at K&L, claims Champagne needs rest when shipped from France. As I recall, he also thinks Blanc de Blancs recover more quickly.

-Al

Sarah Kirschbaum

#1237 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » June 11th, 2020, 3:48 am

Al Osterheld wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 8:07 pm
Gary Westby, the Champagne buyer at K&L, claims Champagne needs rest when shipped from France. As I recall, he also thinks Blanc de Blancs recover more quickly.

-Al
Interesting about blanc de blancs recovering faster. I haven't noticed that, but I haven't done any real experimenting. It's of course possible it's all in our heads, but honestly that doesn't even matter to me. What is it they say about the placebo effect? It doesn't matter if it's a placebo if it makes you feel better.

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1238 Post by Warren Taranow » June 11th, 2020, 6:18 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 3:48 am
Al Osterheld wrote:

-Al
Interesting about blanc de blancs recovering faster. I haven't noticed that, but I haven't done any real experimenting. It's of course possible it's all in our heads, but honestly that doesn't even matter to me. What is it they say about the placebo effect? It doesn't matter if it's a placebo if it makes you feel better.
I’ve flown with champagne in a Vinguard Valise many times and never noticed the wine underperform. Then again, everything tastes better on vacation.

Cheers
Warren
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

Sarah Kirschbaum

#1239 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » June 11th, 2020, 6:34 am

Warren Taranow wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 6:18 am
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 3:48 am
Al Osterheld wrote:

-Al
I’ve flown with champagne in a Vinguard Valise many times and never noticed the wine underperform. Then again, everything tastes better on vacation.

Cheers
Warren
Sigh....yeah, I know. Lots of people say the same as you. I don't question your experience. Nor do I have any doubts about my own. I've flown dozens of times with champagne (and other wines) and never once had a bottle perform at peak afterwards, most well below. So disappointing have our experiences been over the years, that now we only carry easy drinkers and young wines when we travel. There's no resolving this argument, and it's been hashed out again and again. If you don't believe in or perceive travel shock, by all means continue what you're doing. If you do perceive it, adjust accordingly.

That said, my point here, and I believe the point Al/Gary was making, is about traveling from France by boat in a container, which is a different set of conditions for the wine than a short hop on a plane.

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1240 Post by AD Northup » June 11th, 2020, 2:26 pm

2008 Duménil Millésimé - excellent champagne, especially at the $40 price
A n d r e w N o r t h u p

2020 WsOTY:

2015 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Noirs La Presle (#1)
1954 Fontanafredda Barbaresco
2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:
1994 Edmunds St. John Les Côtes Sauvages
2016 P. S. Garcia Grenache Piedra Lisa
2002 Perrier-Jouet Belle Époque
2005 Faja dos Padres Malvasia

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1241 Post by Jayson Cohen » June 11th, 2020, 8:06 pm

Sabine Godme Brut Millésime 2012

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1242 Post by Blake Brown » June 13th, 2020, 11:47 am

Double post: In January, I tasted the first of a 6 pack I bought of 12` Cristal and found it to be way too early in the game to really be showing its best attributes. This weekend I`ve traveled to Orange County to join some good friends for a tasting and took advantage of being able to stop by Envoyer and pick up some pre-arrival bought wines including 3 more bottles. Since I was in a champagne mood during my first night at a resort hotel, it seemed to be a great time to re-visit and get a read on where it has moved, if at all in this short period of time and so one got popped.

2012 LOUIS ROEDERER CRISTAL BRUT- no question, it needs a lot of time and its easily obvious, as was the first bottle, this will be a good one as it has bright acidity, loads of fresh citrus with lemon lime most prominent and subtle accents of spice and toasty brioche; overall, it had an element of elegance, but just needs time to evolve, balance, flesh out and come together.
Attachments
IMG_1479.jpeg
Napolean Bonaparte

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1243 Post by Neal.Mollen » June 14th, 2020, 7:16 am

Jan Janas wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 11:21 pm

Very much agree with your observations about the Moutard. Outstanding value.

We had a very puzzling 2002 Lanson Champagne Noble Cuvée de Lanson Brut last night. As I read this am through the notes on CT I see a ridiculously wide array of comments on the style. I recognized almost none of them from the bottle we had last night, which was lean, zippy, and very focused. No oxidation, no oak, no "fat." Oh well, I liked this bottle well enough but the replacement cost (~$125) seems excessive.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1244 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » June 14th, 2020, 7:23 am

I know it’s low country for you connoisseurs, but I really do like the Billecart-Salmon Rouge, it’s become our house champagne. Had another lovely bottle last night. Grabbed more from Wine.com for $55 per after that $100 off $300 deal.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1245 Post by Blake Brown » June 14th, 2020, 7:30 am

12` Cristal- Day 2: I saved about 2/3 of the bottle and took it to the OC guys tasting the next day. It was capped off and remained at my hotel room temperature until I got to the home of our host and placed in the frig with the idea of having it at the end of the day. As it turned out, it was the first thing we started with and only had a slight chill at best. And, it was served blind.

All of these factors gave way to an entirely different profile as it is now super rich, creamy and full bodied with aromas and flavors going way beyond the fresh citrus lemon and lime notes as yellow peach, pear and nectarine are now expressed with a streak of honey running through from the nose through the finish.

Because some saw the bottle and knew it was Cristal, the task was to ID the vintage. Some guessed this as 02`, 06`, 08` and 09` and probably from not knowing the 12` was released, no one got it for being 2012.

Some additional info: this was bottled in 13` and disgorged in 19` with 7.5 gpl and made from 60% Pinot Noir and 40% Chardonnay. No ML and 32% was vinified in oak casks.

It was a great start to a fabulous afternoon.
Napolean Bonaparte

Steve Nordhoff
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#1246 Post by Steve Nordhoff » June 14th, 2020, 8:52 am

Blake Brown wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 7:30 am
12` Cristal- Day 2: I saved about 2/3 of the bottle and took it to the OC guys tasting the next day. It was capped off and remained at my hotel room temperature until I got to the home of our host and placed in the frig with the idea of having it at the end of the day. As it turned out, it was the first thing we started with and only had a slight chill at best. And, it was served blind.

All of these factors gave way to an entirely different profile as it is now super rich, creamy and full bodied with aromas and flavors going way beyond the fresh citrus lemon and lime notes as yellow peach, pear and nectarine are now expressed with a streak of honey running through from the nose through the finish.

Because some saw the bottle and knew it was Cristal, the task was to ID the vintage. Some guessed this as 02`, 06`, 08` and 09` and probably from not knowing the 12` was released, no one got it for being 2012.

Some additional info: this was bottled in 13` and disgorged in 19` with 7.5 gpl and made from 60% Pinot Noir and 40% Chardonnay. No ML and 32% was vinified in oak casks.

It was a great start to a fabulous afternoon.
Yes it was!
ITB -Riverain Vineyards

K. Tr@n

#1247 Post by K. Tr@n » June 14th, 2020, 11:07 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 7:23 am
I know it’s low country for you connoisseurs, but I really do like the Billecart-Salmon Rouge, it’s become our house champagne. Had another lovely bottle last night. Grabbed more from Wine.com for $55 per after that $100 off $300 deal.
Of the rose in that same price range, I have the Charles Heidseick, Billecart-Salmon, and Laurent Perrier very close to each other. You might like the other 2 even more since they are similar in quality, but up to individual taste.
I go back and forth, but currently have the Laurent Perrier as my favorite. It's also available on wine.com.
First init. h @ n g

Jan Janas

#1248 Post by Jan Janas » June 18th, 2020, 6:07 am

Question: why is blanc de blancs the much more talked about and beloved vs. blanc de noirs? There's a lot of love for Pinot-heavy Champagnes, but not so much for 100% Pinot Noirs which I found interesting.

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1249 Post by Kirk.Grant » June 18th, 2020, 6:30 am

I just had the Krug 168 éme last night and it was flat out glorious...
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1250 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » June 18th, 2020, 6:31 am

Jan Janas wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 6:07 am
Question: why is blanc de blancs the much more talked about and beloved vs. blanc de noirs? There's a lot of love for Pinot-heavy Champagnes, but not so much for 100% Pinot Noirs which I found interesting.
I think they are Quite a bit less common.

Return to “Wine Talk”