Which Champagne are you drinking?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
A G Aguirre
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Which Champagne are you drinking?

#1151 Post by A G Aguirre » April 25th, 2020, 12:00 am

Tarlant Cuvée Louis dis. Dec. 2017

For so much time on the lees it’s always surprising fresh and zippy. Not as good as the first time I had it (from magnum), but definitely curious to check in down the line.
@rturo

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1152 Post by Mark Golodetz » April 25th, 2020, 2:37 am

Not drinking as they are still in UK, but have been buying a ton of Taittinger comte Rose and blanc, and in fifths and magnums. I will be shipping them next week as they are tariff free, and were incredibly cheap to start with.

Meanwhile drinking Louis Roederer brut; current iteration delicious using I understand grapes from 2012.
ITB

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1153 Post by Jayson Cohen » April 25th, 2020, 7:11 am

Mark Golodetz wrote:
April 25th, 2020, 2:37 am
Meanwhile drinking Louis Roederer brut; current iteration delicious using I understand grapes from 2012.

Mark, I bought and opened a 2014 base for New Years and thought it was tight, grumpy, and weird at first, then excellent and complex on the second and third days. Did yours need a lot of air to pull itself together?

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1154 Post by Blake Brown » April 25th, 2020, 7:54 am

NV Domaine Allimant-Laugner Crémant d'Alsace Rosé- not champagne, but really good méthode champenoise and super reasonable at just over $20. I got turned on to this by one of our dinner group members who just started carrying it in his wine shop and had to get some. After a couple of bottles, I realized this is worth more repeated visits and got a 6 pack. It's light and easy with a frothy mousse, has mild, flavorful aromas and taste of raspberry and strawberry and holds on all the way through for a delightful experience. It's been especially good during these HOT days we've been having and quenches one`s thirst nicely.

Cheers,
Blake
3732790B-E862-4CCC-85A1-C781D205FA8F_1_201_a.jpeg
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

J. Rock

#1155 Post by J. Rock » April 25th, 2020, 12:19 pm

Has any one had any 2012 La Grande Année yet? I'm Contemplating buying some but haven't seen much on it.
J o r d a n

S teve R edenbaugh
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1156 Post by S teve R edenbaugh » April 25th, 2020, 12:40 pm

Wine Advocate 95 points. I pre-ordered six and will be picking up another 3 bottles early next week. A logical purchase...I love the house style and really nice reviews of the 2012 vintage, so I'm not worried.

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1157 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » April 25th, 2020, 1:16 pm

NV Laherte Freres Rose de Meunier Extra Brut
CT: InZinity

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1158 Post by alan weinberg » April 25th, 2020, 1:44 pm

D40BC26E-FD0B-49AB-833A-12508B5EB319.jpeg
didn't see the fuss till the wine warmed up more than I usually allow for bubbly.

Andrew M

#1159 Post by Andrew M » April 25th, 2020, 3:34 pm

I’m here to make amends with Vouette & Sorbee. A Fidele was my least favorite bottle of champagne I’ve ever had. This 8/17 disgorgement of Blanc de Argile is as good a BdB as I’ve had. It’s also beautiful to look at, very crystalline and pure. Few years in the bottle has served it very well. Not cheap but probably worth it.
M @ k $ ! m ø v ! ç

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1160 Post by Frank Murray III » April 25th, 2020, 4:43 pm

From today's Mousse event.....
  • 2015 Moussé Fils Champagne Special Club Extra Brut Rosé de Saignée - France, Champagne (4/25/2020)
    Ok, I'll go first with the tasting note. Bought these in 2019, decided to open something good for the Mousse Fils tasting today we did over on Wine Berserkers. Disgorged March 2019, 2 g/l dosage, 100% Pinot Meunier. The Special Club bottlings get extra lees time, both the Fortes Terre and this Rose, which is sourced from the edge of the village, from the Les Bouts de la Ville lieux-dit. The soil on this plot is different from the Les Fortes Terre, so this is the added distinction between the two botllings. The color on this is a mash-up of salmon and rose, a beautiful neon kind of red. Dried red fruit, blood orange, grapefruit and a cleansing finish. Once the wine warms up, some other cool things emerge, with the blood orange really gaining presence, along with a strawberry note, and some lime skin. There is also some added weight and texture that comes through with the warmer temp. Overall, this is a killer bottle of Rose, especially in honor to the Pinot Meunier and the passion and craft of Cedric Mousse.
Posted from CellarTracker
20200425_092216.jpg
My best wines for 2020:
2014 Marie Courtin Champagne Efflorescence Extra Brut
2012 Minière F & R Champagne Influence Brut
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

My best wines for 2019:
2014 Marie Courtin Eloquence BdB Extra Brut
2017 Rivers-Marie PN Platt SC
2009 Roederer Cristal Brut

Kindness matters.

Andrew M

#1161 Post by Andrew M » April 27th, 2020, 5:34 pm

2004 Paul Bara Comtesse Marie de France. Fresh, more so than a 2004 Special Club tasted a few months ago. Very lively mousse. Classic Bara signature of lightly oxidated Apple and honey. Delicious. Will revisit in a few years.
M @ k $ ! m ø v ! ç

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1162 Post by Jay Miller » April 27th, 2020, 6:05 pm

Warren Taranow wrote:
April 18th, 2020, 9:19 pm
Today, for the first time since COVID came to town, we had friends over. Outdoors, alcohol gel, keeping our distance. As has been my modus operandi, I opened the good bottles. This time grandes marques rather than growers. Another beautiful 2006 Taittinger Comte BdB. This one had the luscious citrus glycerine mouthfeel, but also more acid than I recalled. That didn’t last long with four of us, so a half bottle of Krug 168 followed. This had a nice nutty oxidative note, and a ridiculously long savory finish. We had smoked duck breast, D’Artagnan foie gras mousse, aged Comte, Fromager d'Affinois and macadamia nuts. It almost felt like we were back in the pre-apocalyptic days! It did make me realize that socially distancing with more than one couple will be nearly impossible.

Cheers
Warren
Beautiful photographs and I'm especially appreciative of the Comte/comte pairing [cheers.gif]
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Andrew K.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1163 Post by Andrew K. » April 27th, 2020, 6:06 pm

Had my first bottle of 2002 Dom Ruinart BdB last weekend. Had an interesting experience that I detailed in this TN. Glad I have another in the cellar and 6 more on the way this fall.

Brioche nose. Soft palate. Very light bubbles. Limited acidity. Lacks some pop I was expecting. 92 pts.

Edit: 2 hours later and I clearly didn't know of what I was speaking earlier. Stunning brioche toast and lemon nose. Wet stone and citrus palate. Long, luscious, lingering finish. Really opened up into an incredible experience. This is showing incredible promise, but I'm going to give my remaining bottles another few years to develop.
к𝓁ย𝐠

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#1164 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » April 28th, 2020, 8:18 am

Andrew K. wrote:
April 27th, 2020, 6:06 pm
Had my first bottle of 2002 Dom Ruinart BdB last weekend. Had an interesting experience that I detailed in this TN. Glad I have another in the cellar and 6 more on the way this fall.

Brioche nose. Soft palate. Very light bubbles. Limited acidity. Lacks some pop I was expecting. 92 pts.

Edit: 2 hours later and I clearly didn't know of what I was speaking earlier. Stunning brioche toast and lemon nose. Wet stone and citrus palate. Long, luscious, lingering finish. Really opened up into an incredible experience. This is showing incredible promise, but I'm going to give my remaining bottles another few years to develop.
One of my favorite young Champagnes.
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

Brad Baker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1165 Post by Brad Baker » April 28th, 2020, 8:26 am

Andrew,

Which label did the bottle have - older style black label or the newer white one? I love this wine in both incarnations, but the newer labeled bottles (which were later disgorgement) are a step up in my book. The later disgorgements (white label) of this wine have a lot more depth and precision than the earlier disgorgements (black label). Regardless, this wine is still a baby and has the potential to eventually be the best Blanc de Blancs from the 2002 vintage.
Brad Baker
The Champagne Warrior

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1166 Post by Blake Brown » April 28th, 2020, 8:32 am

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
April 28th, 2020, 8:18 am
Andrew K. wrote:

Finally, I'm in the same category with you Ray although I am finding more enjoyable experiences from some champagnes with vintages in the 70s and 80s; most recently an 82` Cristal.
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#1167 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » April 28th, 2020, 8:41 am

Blake Brown wrote:
April 28th, 2020, 8:32 am
R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
Andrew K. wrote:

Finally, I'm in the same category with you Ray although I am finding more enjoyable experiences from some champagnes with vintages in the 70s and 80s; most recently an 82` Cristal.
A proper '82 Cristal ventures into Staggering Plus territory. champagne.gif

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1168 Post by Blake Brown » April 28th, 2020, 8:50 am

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
April 28th, 2020, 8:41 am
Blake Brown wrote:
April 28th, 2020, 8:32 am
R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:

A proper '82 Cristal ventures into Staggering Plus territory. champagne.gif
IMHO, the one a had deserves your SP rating. I just called it magnificent.
Napolean Bonaparte

Andrew K.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1169 Post by Andrew K. » April 28th, 2020, 9:07 am

Brad Baker wrote:
April 28th, 2020, 8:26 am
Andrew,

Which label did the bottle have - older style black label or the newer white one? I love this wine in both incarnations, but the newer labeled bottles (which were later disgorgement) are a step up in my book. The later disgorgements (white label) of this wine have a lot more depth and precision than the earlier disgorgements (black label). Regardless, this wine is still a baby and has the potential to eventually be the best Blanc de Blancs from the 2002 vintage.
Black label. Not sure about the 6 on the way from Europe in the fall. Didn't know there were two versions, thanks for the info.

Also have 6 of the 2002 Tait BdB on the way. Looking forward to trying that as well.
к𝓁ย𝐠

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#1170 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » April 28th, 2020, 9:24 am

Brad Baker wrote:
April 28th, 2020, 8:26 am
Andrew,

Never seen a white label. Same dosage?

Brad Baker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1171 Post by Brad Baker » April 28th, 2020, 10:46 am

Ray - same dosage at 6-6.5 g/L. The black labels were disgorged in late 2010 and the first part of 2011. The white labels were disgorged in 2012. The black label is softer and not as expressive especially upon opening. I think Andrew described how it shows perfectly. Doing a side-by-side is quite remarkable. Both are great, but one is clearly greater.

* Edited to add the following - The winery has released some black labeled 2002 Dom Ruinart BdB that was disgorged in 2012. I'm only aware of this for late releases from the winery, but there may have been some regular releases that came this way too although the disgorgement date should have been on the back label by this time. The 2010 and 2011 wave of black front labels did not have disgorgement dates on the back label. When the change went over to the white labels on the front, the back label was also modified to include the disgorgement date. While I believe 90%+ of the 2012 disgorgements will be in white front label dress, the simplest way to determine if you have a 2012 disgorgement is that you will have a back label that has the disgorgement date verifying this.
Last edited by Brad Baker on May 7th, 2020, 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brad Baker
The Champagne Warrior

Andrew K.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1172 Post by Andrew K. » April 29th, 2020, 4:19 pm

Popped open a newly arrived 2008 DP tonight with oyster on the half shell snack. Really enjoyed it and glad I have more bottles to cellar. My TN:

Pop and pour. Initial blast of vanillin, fresh apple, yeast on the nose. Well balanced, complex palate that hits different sensations simultaneously around different parts of the tongue. Good acidity, minerality, nice pop of bubbles. Long, warm finish. Nearly perfect.

After an hour, more brioche toast emerges, less bubbles. Still good mineral-driven palate, but the acid kind of takes over, the finish shortens a bit and the palate is more single noted. This is where the flaws are exposed, albeit small. Interested to see if this comes together with more age, but seems right now to have less upside than other similar selections. 95pts.
к𝓁ย𝐠

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1173 Post by AD Northup » May 1st, 2020, 4:59 pm

2012 Bérêche et Fils Reflet d’Antan - disgorged December 2016. Nice brioche, fine mousse. A little less acid than I usually like, but in good harmony with 6 g/l dosage.
A n d r e w N o r t h u p

2020 WsOTY:

2015 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Noirs La Presle (#1)
1954 Fontanafredda Barbaresco
2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:
1994 Edmunds St. John Les Côtes Sauvages
2016 P. S. Garcia Grenache Piedra Lisa
2002 Perrier-Jouet Belle Époque
2005 Faja dos Padres Malvasia

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1174 Post by Warren Taranow » May 1st, 2020, 5:37 pm

Andrew K. wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 4:19 pm
Popped open a newly arrived 2008 DP tonight with oyster on the half shell snack. Really enjoyed it and glad I have more bottles to cellar. My TN:

Pop and pour. Initial blast of vanillin, fresh apple, yeast on the nose. Well balanced, complex palate that hits different sensations simultaneously around different parts of the tongue. Good acidity, minerality, nice pop of bubbles. Long, warm finish. Nearly perfect.

After an hour, more brioche toast emerges, less bubbles. Still good mineral-driven palate, but the acid kind of takes over, the finish shortens a bit and the palate is more single noted. This is where the flaws are exposed, albeit small. Interested to see if this comes together with more age, but seems right now to have less upside than other similar selections. 95pts.
In my experience, these were great last summer but have since significantly shut down. I have high hopes for my remaining stash, but I think it will be years before I open any with regularity.

Cheers,
Warren
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1175 Post by Frank Murray III » May 1st, 2020, 6:10 pm

AD Northup wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 4:59 pm
2012 Bérêche et Fils Reflet d’Antan - disgorged December 2016. Nice brioche, fine mousse. A little less acid than I usually like, but in good harmony with 6 g/l dosage.
Dig the note, thank you. I have a few of these but have not opened them yet.
My best wines for 2020:
2014 Marie Courtin Champagne Efflorescence Extra Brut
2012 Minière F & R Champagne Influence Brut
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

My best wines for 2019:
2014 Marie Courtin Eloquence BdB Extra Brut
2017 Rivers-Marie PN Platt SC
2009 Roederer Cristal Brut

Kindness matters.

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1176 Post by AD Northup » May 1st, 2020, 6:48 pm

Frank Murray III wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 6:10 pm
AD Northup wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 4:59 pm
Dig the note, thank you. I have a few of these but have not opened them yet.
Coming back about 6 hours later and the acid is turned up all of a sudden. Liking this much better now, but now feeling that’s it’s brutally young. Worth popping one if you have a few, but otherwise I’d sit back because it could be very good in a few years.

2020 WsOTY:

2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:

Bryan Cottriel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1177 Post by Bryan Cottriel » May 1st, 2020, 7:02 pm

1993 Pol Roger Brut Rose....Absolutely stunning!
IMG_1439.JPG
IMG_1438 2.JPG

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1178 Post by Jayson Cohen » May 1st, 2020, 7:55 pm

Bryan Cottriel wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 7:02 pm

IMG_1439.JPG

IMG_1438 2.JPG
Love the color.

Nowell Karten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1179 Post by Nowell Karten » May 2nd, 2020, 2:26 am

Bryan Cottriel wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 7:02 pm
Great to read about your excellent bottle. I haven't had such good results with long-aging Pol Roger's rose as I have with their Brut and Blanc de Blancs.
In the little moment that remains to us between the crisis and the catastrophe,...

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1180 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » May 2nd, 2020, 1:33 pm

Just opened a NV Caillez-Lemaire Champagne Pur Meunier. Bottled September 2015, no disgorge date I can find. Extra brut. Lovely lemon and green apple notes well incorporated with buttered toast and brioche. Had my last bottle of this a year ago, a sneakers guy selection. Delicious.

Will Vetzi

#1181 Post by Will Vetzi » May 2nd, 2020, 1:45 pm

Tarlant Brut Zero Rose... ‘13 base, 9/18 disgorgement. Beautiful color, very broad and expansive on the palate. Hard to believe it’s non-dosé.

Also, love how informative the back labels of Tarlant wines are.

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1182 Post by Kris Patten » May 2nd, 2020, 9:25 pm

Marc Hebrart 1er Rose Brut, April 2018
Pierre Peter's Grand Cru BdB Brut, May 2019
ITB

Jud Reis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1183 Post by Jud Reis » May 3rd, 2020, 12:59 pm

Had a lovely 2008 Pierre Gimmonet Fleuron Blanc de Blancs last night. No formal notes, but lovely balance of crisp acidity and creamy Chardonnay fruit. Just lovely on our first really nice evening of the spring here.

Andrew K.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1184 Post by Andrew K. » May 3rd, 2020, 5:16 pm

The last of my 2014 Navarro Vineyards Gewürztraminer Brut Methode Champenoise. Sad to see it go.
к𝓁ย𝐠

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1185 Post by AD Northup » May 6th, 2020, 5:24 pm

2013 Savart L’Année

2020 WsOTY:

2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1186 Post by Warren Taranow » May 6th, 2020, 8:43 pm

A very tasty, crisp 2008 Philipponnat Cuvée 1522 Extra Brut.
Attachments
BB6619A3-4E66-4A9D-BD46-D7DE92D57A65.jpeg

CT - WST

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1187 Post by Kris Patten » May 6th, 2020, 8:45 pm

[*]
Warren Taranow wrote:
May 6th, 2020, 8:43 pm
Yum. We need to have a drink someday. Bellingham?
ITB

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1188 Post by Warren Taranow » May 6th, 2020, 9:11 pm

Kris Patten wrote:
May 6th, 2020, 8:45 pm
[*]
Warren Taranow wrote:
May 6th, 2020, 8:43 pm
Yum. We need to have a drink someday. Bellingham?
Kris
Yes, Bellingham. We could even keep 6’ apart on the deck. Let me know if you’re ever nearby.
Cheers
Warren

CT - WST

Sean S y d n e y

#1189 Post by Sean S y d n e y » May 9th, 2020, 4:31 pm

Just good ol’ Roederer Brut Premier.

One of my favourite N/V Champagnes. I really like how lean and fresh it is while still being exceptionally balanced and versatile. Stony and chalky, with yellow orchard fruit, lemon, lime, and a nice foundation of light toastiness. Longer finish than you might expect for such a crisp wine. Just well made.

Steve Nordhoff
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#1190 Post by Steve Nordhoff » May 10th, 2020, 7:16 am

2004 Vilmart Grand Cellier Rubis - during the Zoom call with Laurent Champs. There was a fair amount of discussion of how Laurent combines sub 3 ph, barrel elevate and the right dosage to achieve balance. This wine certainly has it. Colder it was showing orchard fruit, cherries and lovely 2004 briskness. Warmer, strawberries and a hint of melon, but still that wonderful acidity. Great stuff.
ITB -Riverain Vineyards

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1191 Post by Robert M yers » May 12th, 2020, 10:08 pm

This past weekend we opened 2012 Roederer and Leherte Blanc de Blancs Brut Nature. Both times with variations of fried chicken and eggs.

While the Roederer was pleasant, The Laherte absolutely blew it away. Such Amazing freshness, fruit and plenty of structure but not so much that my oxidative loving wife couldnt ignore its charms. Just an amazing example of balance, really one of the best values I’ve had in awhile from champagne. Can’t think of any reason to sit on this, just a pleasure.

We did enjoy the Roederer as well but it has a definite note of sugar that seemed to cover any nuance at this point. There is structure underneath here too though and quite possibly this will age into something quite interesting. For now I’d wait.

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1192 Post by Warren Taranow » May 13th, 2020, 10:13 pm

2010 Vilmart & Cie Champagne Premier Cru Grand Cellier d'Or I'm bummed I couldn't make it to the Zoom event, so I opened this to console myself.
It was amongst the few '10s (or '11s) I bought. I wish I had gone deeper on this one. My only bottle, and it is fantastic. Vilmart seems immune to difficult vintages. They didn't just overcome the challenges, they triumphed. Beautifully balanced Vilmart creaminess and acidity; more pear and white pit fruit than citrus. Nice minerality as usual. I'm disappointed I didn't buy more of these, but happy other vintages of GCdOr and CdC account for a large portion of my champagne inventory.

Cheers,
Warren

CT - WST

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1193 Post by Blake Brown » May 14th, 2020, 7:56 am

Extracted from another post that includes other wines and this is worth double noting:

2012 DELAMOTTE BLANC de BLANC MILLESIME BRUT- served in Sophienwald Grand Cru champagne glasses; 60% of the fruit sources for this comes from les Mesnil-sur-Oger, Ovize and Oger with 20% equal parts from each and the remainder of the fruit comes from Cramant, Chouilly and Oiry; it had such an inviting nose of fresh yellow roses and stone fruit which on the palate included peach, apricot, pear, Golden Delicious apple and lemon; it had a wondrous creamy mouthfeel which served to enhanced the long, satisfying finish; this is marvelous bubbly now and has all of the structure to be great in the years to come. No 2012 Salon is to be made so I’m assuming most if not all of the fruit went into the BdB that was not held back in reserve.

ED0A825A-0B33-4803-9A58-AC805A85AD9A_1_201_a.jpeg
Napolean Bonaparte

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1194 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » May 14th, 2020, 12:55 pm

Blake Brown wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 7:56 am
Extracted from another post that includes other wines and this is worth double noting:

2012 DELAMOTTE BLANC de BLANC MILLESIME BRUT- served in Sophienwald Grand Cru champagne glasses; 60% of the fruit sources for this comes from les Mesnil-sur-Oger, Ovize and Oger with 20% equal parts from each and the remainder of the fruit comes from Cramant, Chouilly and Oiry; it had such an inviting nose of fresh yellow roses and stone fruit which on the palate included peach, apricot, pear, Golden Delicious apple and lemon; it had a wondrous creamy mouthfeel which served to enhanced the long, satisfying finish; this is marvelous bubbly now and has all of the structure to be great in the years to come. No 2012 Salon is to be made so I’m assuming most if not all of the fruit went into the BdB that was not held back in reserve.

ED0A825A-0B33-4803-9A58-AC805A85AD9A_1_201_a.jpeg
I love NV Delamotte, so of course when I saw this on Envoyer I picked up some bottles. Had one a couple months ago and had similar impressions. Wondering what the aging curve for this might be, as I'm resolved not to touch the rest of these for awhile.

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1195 Post by Blake Brown » May 16th, 2020, 6:47 pm

2008 CHARLES HEIDSIECK BRUT MILLESIME- 60% Pinot Noir, 40% Chardonnay; disgorged February 2019 with 8 gpl dosage; this was the first of a few bottles I purchased and I wasn’t sure what to expect and then once tasted, I was surprised to discover it had a streak of pepper and hazelnut running though it much like that which I’ve experienced in its sister house, Piper-Heidsieck; I wondered what Champagne Charlie would think of this? Following its yellow gold color, came aromas of the aforementioned pepper and hazelnut along with fresh citrus and caramel; the taste profile had all of this and the citrus now is more distinct lemongrass, lime and orange zest with some apple and pear blending in as well; it had a lovely mousse, was full bodied, rich and delicious; but hold the hazelnut and pepper please.

Chers,
Blake

4126D64D-9FEA-431C-B373-8625FF505066_1_201_a.jpeg
Napolean Bonaparte

Brad Baker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1196 Post by Brad Baker » May 16th, 2020, 6:57 pm

Blake,

It is interesting that you note that same pepper and hazlenut note in this that you found in past Piper-Heidsiecks (and Bruno Paillard). They both are made at the same winery so maybe there is something to that. Have you found this in other Charles Heidsiecks? This is getting interesting. It sounds like it was at least still enjoyable?
Brad Baker
The Champagne Warrior

AstridKG

#1197 Post by AstridKG » May 16th, 2020, 9:17 pm

from two weeks ago:

No dosage, 100% PN, millesime 2013. Amazing.

Today's selection, more of a daily drinker, also PN:
A. K 3 3 L

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1198 Post by Blake Brown » May 17th, 2020, 7:33 am

Brad Baker wrote:
May 16th, 2020, 6:57 pm
Blake,

It is interesting that you note that same pepper and hazlenut note in this that you found in past Piper-Heidsiecks (and Bruno Paillard). They both are made at the same winery so maybe there is something to that. Have you found this in other Charles Heidsiecks? This is getting interesting. It sounds like it was at least still enjoyable?
Brad, good pickup on your part. When I detected the pepper and hazelnut notes, I thought of you and our discussion here re the NV Piper- Heidsieck, which BTW and surprisingly, I have still yet to find locally and may just have to order a bottle to follow through on the experiment.

I did like the 08` but was so surprised to not only find but be able to ID the "hazelnut" character that I was searching for previously. I have never found that in any Charles Heidsieck and I've had numerous bottles over many years of both the NV and vintage stuff.

One other note re the C-H champagnes, they usually have a "high" gpl for me= 8-9%, and I've not had any issues with any being too sweet.
Napolean Bonaparte

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1199 Post by Neal.Mollen » May 17th, 2020, 8:01 am

Sorry to hear the 2012 Roederer was less than great; just bought a few this week.

We had the Lanson Champagne Rose Noble Cuvee last night. It isn't the most complex champagne I've had recently, but it was nonetheless a joy to drink.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1200 Post by Blake Brown » May 17th, 2020, 8:05 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
May 17th, 2020, 8:01 am
Sorry to hear the 2012 Roederer was less than great; just bought a few this week.

We had the Lanson Champagne Rose Noble Cuvee last night. It isn't the most complex champagne I've had recently, but it was nonetheless a joy to drink.
Hold on Neal. I've had at least 5 bottles of the 12` Roederer and the Rose too, and all were great. I'm also a fan of the Lanson and if you like that, you'll love the 12` Delamotte.
Napolean Bonaparte

Return to “Wine Talk”