Which Champagne are you drinking?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
JLee

Re: Which Champagne are you drinking?

#1101 Post by JLee » March 31st, 2020, 6:23 pm

Krug 164 - Still pretty tight but not as much as it was two years ago. Should probably bury the rest of my bottles.

Taittinger Comtes 2002 - This is/was one of my favorite vintages of this wine. I'm sorry to say, as some predicted, that it looks like it may have peaked early. This bottle was a bit of a disappointment compared to what I had a few years ago. Maybe bottle variation. It was my last bottle so I may never find out.
J a m e s

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1102 Post by Warren Taranow » March 31st, 2020, 7:09 pm

Tonight, one of my last few 2000 Lanson Noble Cuvèe BdB. I’ve gone through a few cases of these. Incredible for the initial purchase price of $49.99. Still worth the $79 I spent on my last reload. Very rich, crisp apples, biscuit, orange cream, and just the right amount of oxidative notes. I’ve heard the “good not great” comment many times, but have happily bought and consumed these for years. I used to hear the same comments about the 1995 Charles Heidsieck Blanc de Millenaires back in the day while I scooped up cases for under $100.

Cheers,
Warren
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1103 Post by Frank Murray III » April 3rd, 2020, 6:05 pm

• NV Dehours Champagne Extra Brut Œil de Perdrix La Croix Joly - France, Champagne (4/3/2020)
    First bottle of two that I purchased last year. Disgorged September 2018, zero dosage. The label says Pinot Meunier with just under 20% Chardonnay. The color is a pale peach. The core of this is a lovely tangy strawberry, blood orange and stone fruit like a peach/plum. Finishes with a little leesy note, mint and good structure. Refreshing and crisp.
Posted from CellarTracker
IMG_20200403_175107_896.jpg
My best wines for 2020:
2014 Marie Courtin Champagne Efflorescence Extra Brut
2012 Minière F & R Champagne Influence Brut
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

Kindness matters. Dignity matters. Accountability matters. Respect matters. LEADERSHIP MATTERS!

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1104 Post by Frank Murray III » April 4th, 2020, 5:03 pm

No TN for this post, but a share of a website out to the WB community. I got this from Bertrand Gautherot, who owns/makes the wines and Vouette et Sorbee.

This link takes you to a listing of all the organic growers in the Association des Champagnes de Biologiques. For me, it helps pull together the organic Champagne producers, keeping it to one web-based reference (versus all the book resources that I have to keep cross-referencing).

http://www.champagnesbiologiques.com/in ... me-gb/home

As I find other info worth sharing, I will post it. Stay safe everyone.
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

Kindness matters. Dignity matters. Accountability matters. Respect matters. LEADERSHIP MATTERS!

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1105 Post by Charlie Carnes » April 5th, 2020, 2:53 pm

I just posted a swoony, critic bingoy, note on the 2014 Bouchard/Roses de Jeanne BdN Ursules. That wine was out of this world. Maybe the best I tasted in years!
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1106 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » April 5th, 2020, 3:58 pm

Charlie Carnes wrote:
April 5th, 2020, 2:53 pm
I just posted a swoony, critic bingoy, note on the 2014 Bouchard/Roses de Jeanne BdN Ursules. That wine was out of this world. Maybe the best I tasted in years!
My favorite Champagne still is the 2014 Cedric Bouchard La Boloree. I love pinot bianco/blanc/weissburgunder, this was just incredible.
CT: InZinity

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

Andrew M

#1107 Post by Andrew M » April 5th, 2020, 6:22 pm

NV Larmandier-Bernier Longitude. And yesterday. And the day before. Man I love this wine. Despite not designed to age, I think this blend will be decadent ~5 years after release. I wish there were more info printed on the back label to deduce disgorgement date, I’ve purchased two separate parcels and I’m guessing that both are 2015 base...
M @ k $ ! m ø v ! ç

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1108 Post by Frank Murray III » April 5th, 2020, 6:25 pm

Andrew M wrote:
April 5th, 2020, 6:22 pm
NV Larmandier-Bernier Longitude. And yesterday. And the day before. Man I love this wine. Despite not designed to age, I think this blend will be decadent ~5 years after release. I wish there were more info printed on the back label to deduce disgorgement date, I’ve purchased two separate parcels and I’m guessing that both are 2015 base...
Andrew, it's likely on the bottom on the outside of the glass, etched into it near the bottom of the bottle. Do you see the code on your bottle? What does it say?

By the way, I too love the Longitude. I bought some, loved it and then bought a few more last year. Great wine.
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1109 Post by Kirk.Grant » April 5th, 2020, 6:25 pm

• 2008 Pierre Péters Champagne Grand Cru Cuvée Speciale Blanc de Blancs Les Chetillons - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (4/4/2020)
    This is in a really lovely spot...A light golden yellow in the glass with scents of apple, chalk, with a whip of dehydrated pineapple. The palate is clean, leading with lemon, lime, and candied ginger. This is just plain delicious...however, I expect there's still a ton of upside on this. I'm going to do my best to leave my remaining bottles alone for some time...
  • 2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres - France, Champagne (4/2/2020)
    This was really good, but lacking in the complexity I was hoping for...Unfortunately this just wasn't that impressive. It's good, better with food, and improved with time in the glass. However, it's still pretty strait forward and linear. Very good.
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1110 Post by Charlie Carnes » April 5th, 2020, 9:01 pm

Brian S t o t t e r wrote:
April 5th, 2020, 3:58 pm
Charlie Carnes wrote:
April 5th, 2020, 2:53 pm
My favorite Champagne still is the 2014 Cedric Bouchard La Boloree. I love pinot bianco/blanc/weissburgunder, this was just incredible.
I'm excited to see this, as the Boloree is the one of the four I haven't drunk yet...
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

Andrew M

#1111 Post by Andrew M » April 6th, 2020, 6:19 am

Frank Murray III wrote:
April 5th, 2020, 6:25 pm
Andrew M wrote:
Andrew, it's likely on the bottom on the outside of the glass, etched into it near the bottom of the bottle. Do you see the code on your bottle? What does it say?

By the way, I too love the Longitude. I bought some, loved it and then bought a few more last year. Great wine.
Good catch! I missed that. All but one of mine end in “17”, which I would guess maps to the 2015 harvest. They’re in a great spot. I have one “19” which is probably the one I purchased at the domaine last fall.
M @ k $ ! m ø v ! ç

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1112 Post by Robert M yers » April 6th, 2020, 6:51 am

Popped a Pehu-Simonet Face Nord, that’s an impressive $40 bottle of wine. Very classy leaning towards the racy and citrus, but leaves just enough room for some fruit and a hint of biscuit. Grand Cru grower at a steal of a price, I’ll be reloading on this one.

Steve Nordhoff
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#1113 Post by Steve Nordhoff » April 6th, 2020, 8:03 am

Vilmart 2001 CdC- 10th bottle or so, this was the best one yet. From a terrible vintage, this has to be the best Champagne of the year. Pale gold, explosive yellow fruits, supreme balance and a long finish.
ITB -Riverain Vineyards

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1114 Post by Warren Taranow » April 6th, 2020, 3:21 pm

Steve Nordhoff wrote:
April 6th, 2020, 8:03 am
Vilmart 2001 CdC- 10th bottle or so, this was the best one yet. From a terrible vintage, this has to be the best Champagne of the year. Pale gold, explosive yellow fruits, supreme balance and a long finish.
I agree. This is my note from a couple of pages back in this thread.
Warren Taranow wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 9:40 pm
2001 Vilmart & Cie Champagne Premier Cru Coeur de Cuvée. They pulled another rabbit out of a hat in this difficult vintage. Typical CdC richness; creamy orange, apple pie with brown spice, apricot compote, a little oxidative. Plush texture on the palate. The oak worked well. Stellar wine regardless of the poor vintage.
This was sadly my only bottle from this vintage, but happily, I have seven other vintages tempting me in the cellar.

Cheers.
Warren

CT - WST

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1115 Post by Josh Grossman » April 7th, 2020, 6:29 pm

2008 Jacques Defrance Champagne Brut Millésimé
Grower in the Aube district village of Les Ricey. The vintage cuvée here is an assemblage of 80% Pinot Noir and 20% Chardonnay. It's aged five years on its lees. A lot of green apple on the nose but somehow not tart at all. Just a bit of oxidative notes. Base notes is mostly figs. Just lovely. I think this is right in its prime.

Brad Baker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1116 Post by Brad Baker » April 7th, 2020, 6:53 pm

Andrew M wrote:
April 6th, 2020, 6:19 am
Frank Murray III wrote:
April 5th, 2020, 6:25 pm
Andrew M wrote:

Good catch! I missed that. All but one of mine end in “17”, which I would guess maps to the 2015 harvest. They’re in a great spot. I have one “19” which is probably the one I purchased at the domaine last fall.
Andrew,

The Larmandier-Bernier bottle code includes the base year (or vintage year) along with the disgorgement month and year. For example LXX150719 would be a 2015 based bottle (15) disgorged in July (07) of 2019 (19)
Brad Baker
The Champagne Warrior

Andrew M

#1117 Post by Andrew M » April 8th, 2020, 10:39 am

Very cool. So it looks like almost my entire stash is 2012 base, disgorged in 2017, and it is excellent. Online I see offers for 2015 base, disgorged in 2018, and I have another 2015 disgorged in 2019 and purchased ex-domaine last fall. Makes me wonder about the 13/14 harvests. I have one magnum that looks like a 2013 base, a vintage I was excited about for BdB, but don’t expect to be as long lived. I wonder if the smaller crop in 2013 led to more fruit going into the other bottlings (looking forward to the new Chemins d’Avize), their perpetual reserve, and Longy mags only.
M @ k $ ! m ø v ! ç

A1ex H

#1118 Post by A1ex H » April 8th, 2020, 11:51 am

Drank a 2008 Dom Perignon last night - was very good, lots of energy and bright acidity. Will be interesting to follow over time.
H@ns£n

Brad Baker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1119 Post by Brad Baker » April 8th, 2020, 12:21 pm

Andrew,

2013 was very good for Chardonnay especially in the Cote des Blancs. Most producers in that area prefer their Chardonnays in 2013 over 2012 and most had a larger harvest. I wouldn't fear 2013 at all. 2015 is also a good year in Champagne and the Cote des Blancs; not quite at the 2013 level and more one dimensional and not as structured/deep when compared to 2012 and 2013, but still a good year. In general, Larmandier-Bernier is going to make sure Longitude and Latitude get made in sufficient quantities each and every year regardless of the base vintage quality. They are the bread and butter for the house.
Brad Baker
The Champagne Warrior

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1120 Post by Frank Murray III » April 10th, 2020, 4:37 pm

• NV Paul Dethune Champagne Brut Rosé - France, Champagne (4/10/2020)
    Opened yesterday. As I have said on a # of past TNs, I have drank more of this particular wine than any other Champagne to date. I've got 20ish TNs spanning the past 5 years. Bottle after bottle it consistently provides high quality and pleasure--it's really a joy to drink. This bottle was disgorged October 2018, is a mix of 80% Pinot and 20% Chard, with 50% reserve wine. Dosage is not listed but I believe it's around 6-8 g/l typically. The color in this disgorgement is a salmon peach. It's flush with strawberry, cherry, lime, a touch of green apple, anise and a lick of chalk in the finish, along with a note of licorice. Consistently a smashing good wine and this one is right there too. For around 40 bucks, and farmed too with a purpose to protect the land and the people who farm it, there isn't much better in Rose than Dethune.
20200409_175821.jpg
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1121 Post by Warren Taranow » April 10th, 2020, 8:18 pm

Frank Murray III wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 4:37 pm
  • NV Paul Dethune Champagne Brut Rosé - France, Champagne (4/10/2020)
    Opened yesterday. As I have said on a # of past TNs, I have drank more of this particular wine than any other Champagne to date. I've got 20ish TNs spanning the past 5 years. Bottle after bottle it consistently provides high quality and pleasure--it's really a joy to drink. This bottle was disgorged October 2018, is a mix of 80% Pinot and 20% Chard, with 50% reserve wine. Dosage is not listed but I believe it's around 6-8 g/l typically. The color in this disgorgement is a salmon peach. It's flush with strawberry, cherry, lime, a touch of green apple, anise and a lick of chalk in the finish, along with a note of licorice. Consistently a smashing good wine and this one is right there too. For around 40 bucks, and farmed too with a purpose to protect the land and the people who farm it, there isn't much better in Rose than Dethune.

20200409_175821.jpg
Frank,
I just took delivery on a case yesterday, after drinking my last bottle of three cases. I haven't checked the back label yet, but my new ones are probably the same as yours. I love this stuff too!
Cheers,
Warren

CT - WST

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1122 Post by Warren Taranow » April 10th, 2020, 8:24 pm

I've been opening a lot of champagne lately, but only writing brief personal notes. You're all lucky I haven't subjected you to my drivel, but your luck ends here. This is my first public TN in a while. I opened it after a long day (and week) of administrative meetings and mostly telemedicine clinics, ending the work week with a late wrist fracture surgery. I got home, and my wife had already finished a half bottle of Billecart Salmon Rosé for Ladies Zoom trivia night, and a good amount of a Vilmart NV rosé that just arrived yesterday (travel shock be damned). Five adults sheltering here, so that didn't last long. And now, for something completely different...

NV Minière F & R Champagne Absolu Blanc De Blancs Brut
My first Miniére. Wow, fruit forward, dense and creamy! This clearly sees some wood. Apricot, lemon cream, & honeysuckle. The back label says 82% 2012 and 18% 2011, disgorged August 2018. I thought it tasted older. Only 5.5 g/l dosage, but rich with quite a bit of the sweet 2012 Chardonnay I’m consistently enjoying. I don’t recall what I paid, but this is a re-buy. I'm finding 2012 and 2013 were great vintages, especially for BdB.

Cheers, and stay safe,
Warren

CT - WST

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1123 Post by alan weinberg » April 10th, 2020, 9:47 pm

tonight a lovey bottle of Vilmart Grand Cellier bought 5
years ago and aged beautifully.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1124 Post by Frank Murray III » April 11th, 2020, 7:12 am

Warren Taranow wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 8:24 pm
I've been opening a lot of champagne lately, but only writing brief personal notes. You're all lucky I haven't subjected you to my drivel, but your luck ends here. This is my first public TN in a while. I opened it after a long day (and week) of administrative meetings and mostly telemedicine clinics, ending the work week with a late wrist fracture surgery. I got home, and my wife had already finished a half bottle of Billecart Salmon Rosé for Ladies Zoom trivia night, and a good amount of a Vilmart NV rosé that just arrived yesterday (travel shock be damned). Five adults sheltering here, so that didn't last long. And now, for something completely different...

NV Minière F & R Champagne Absolu Blanc De Blancs Brut
My first Miniére. Wow, fruit forward, dense and creamy! This clearly sees some wood. Apricot, lemon cream, & honeysuckle. The back label says 82% 2012 and 18% 2011, disgorged August 2018. I thought it tasted older. Only 5.5 g/l dosage, but rich with quite a bit of the sweet 2012 Chardonnay I’m consistently enjoying. I don’t recall what I paid, but this is a re-buy. I'm finding 2012 and 2013 were great vintages, especially for BdB.

Cheers, and stay safe,
Warren
So you found Miniere...good work. I've powered through already 3 bottles of the 2011/2012 base cuvee and you nailed the TN. It does have a creamy, citrusy profile. If you like Miniere, go find the Influence he makes. I put that one on my WOTY list several weeks ago. Frederic makes terrific Champagnes.

Stay well, Warren.
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1125 Post by Frank Murray III » April 11th, 2020, 5:06 pm

• 2012 Pehu Simonet Champagne Grand Cru Fins Lieux No 6 Verzenay Millésime - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (4/11/2020)
    Bought some Pehu Simonet last year, both the #1 and #6. Been sitting on the bottles so I figured why not get one open and beat the boredom of The 19 fight. The back label info lists this as 100% Chardonnay, done in stainless steel with 2 g/l dosage from the the Verzenay plot called Les Basses Correttes. As an aside, the Skurnik website does a less than ideal job in listing this wine, listing the wine as Pinot Noir, and a photo of the Fins Lieux #1, yet calling the wine Blanc de Blancs. Plus, if you try and visit the Pehu Simonet site with a google search, you get redirected to a URL that shows you places to stay in Little Rock, Arkansas. ####! This is why back label info is so important and helpful to the consumer, and I appreciate the winery putting it all on the bottle. Truth. Anyway, back to the wine. This is built with a glassy, plumper texture, yet the minimal dosage and acidity give this a brisk impression. Citrusy lemon drop, tangerine, lime and a nice lick of flint and saline in the finish. You know, it reminds me a bit of the Godme Les Alouettes Saint Bets Chard that is made up the road in Villers-Marmery. Overall, good stuff with a texture and energy that is cool.
20200411_163158.jpg
20200411_163244.jpg
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#1126 Post by Merrill Lindquist » April 12th, 2020, 8:59 am

Happy Easter - Happy Champagne Sunday! Just enjoying a Roederer Brut Premier. One of the best values around.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1127 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » April 12th, 2020, 9:41 am

Been opening some champers that just arrived from Envoyer for me to try out. Opened a NV Chartogne-Taillet Cuvee Sainte Anne last night.

Disgorged September 2019, mostly 2016 fruit. As others have said, this has a very generous mousse, creamy with fine bubbles. Notes of yellow apple, honeysuckle, yellow flowers, and maybe a slight nutty aroma reminiscent of shaved almond. Very refreshing acidity and great mouthfeel on the mid-palate, though comes off as slightly astringent on the finish.

Will probably open a NV Pierre Moncuit Champagne Cuvée Hugues de Coulmet Blanc de Blancs Brut tonight (what a mouthful).

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1128 Post by Blake Brown » April 13th, 2020, 8:50 am

Just had to open another 06` Taittinger CDC for Easter. Drinking stellar plus.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1129 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » April 13th, 2020, 8:53 am

Cuvee St Anne looks like it’s the house champagne for a lot of very good restaurants including Oriole and McCrady’s.

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1130 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » April 13th, 2020, 12:37 pm

I liked the NV Pierre Moncuit Champagne Cuvée Hugues de Coulmet Blanc de Blancs Brut more than the Cuvee Sainte Anne I opened the day prior. Was more in balance and had just the right amount of yeast autolytic character for my palate.

Sean S y d n e y

#1131 Post by Sean S y d n e y » April 14th, 2020, 4:57 pm

2010 Leclerc Briant Extra Brut Millésime.

Lean and vertical with just a touch of richness. Delicious yellow orchard fruit, a bit of nuttiness and a nice little halo of chalkiness surrounding it all. Really shows the low dosage on the palate - taut and crisp with a bit of a racy citrus finish. Nice, if not wildly complex.
Attachments
21EF745F-D726-4618-8135-5D43554DE3B5.jpeg
Last edited by Sean S y d n e y on April 14th, 2020, 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1132 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » April 14th, 2020, 4:59 pm

Opened a 2012 Delamotte Blanc de Blancs Millesime. Left a separate TN thread. Has lots of potential.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1133 Post by alan weinberg » April 14th, 2020, 5:07 pm

Jacquesson 734

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1134 Post by Frank Murray III » April 14th, 2020, 5:52 pm

Time for some Mousse. This is the workhorse bottling of the range, but the version that sees the extended time on the lees. The photo below shows the scraping my cellar does to bottle labels, but if you look in the upper right hand corner of the label, in red letters you will see Degorgement Tardif (click on the photo to make it bigger). This is the indicator it's the extended lees bottling.
  • NV Moussé Fils Champagne l'Extra Or d'Eugène Blanc de Noirs Extra Brut - France, Champagne (4/14/2020)
    Last had one of these at the end of 2018. So, after running into Cedric on a Zoom tasting event this week where he was the featured guest, figured it was time to do some more Mousse. Back label info on this reads like the bottle from Christmas 2018--same specs. Disgorged December 2017, 80% PM and 20% PN, with 1 gram of dosage, with this built in part from the solera that stretches back to 2003. Of note, as I think it's worth pointing out, this is the Degorgement Tardif, so this is extended lees time as opposed to the other Eugene bottling, which also has a higher dosage. I prefer the style of the l'Extra bottling, too. This bottle has a solid creamy texture, which smacks back against some of the bias that low dosage wines are austere. This is certainly not. The aromatics show a bread dough note, along with a fresh cut apple. The flavors remind me of the 2018 bottle, giving the black cherry note, raspberry and a creamy, citrus fruit note, like a fresh squeezed lime meeting grapefruit. The finish is bright (although I should note that the wine when first opened was dull so please let air work its magic). Finishes with a moderate grip of mineral. For $40 US, these wines are genius, made by a guy who is equally full of life, and the wines show it.
20200414_172805.jpg
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1135 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » April 15th, 2020, 3:47 pm

2014 Marguet Champagne Grand Cru Extra Brut Les Crayères

Disgorged February 2019, 100% PN. Zero dosage. Poured in a Grassl Mineralite glass. Heavily bruised yellow apple and some light cream, almost makes me think this wine is older than it really is. As the Champagne is warming up there is definitely this sweet red-fruited note that as Frank Murray describes is like a raspberry pop tart. Though this is extra brut it isn't as dry as anticipated, probably because the ripe red fruit notes giving the perception of some sweetness. Medium acidity, wishing there was a bit more verve in the wine (not sure if this is vintage vs. other factors). An interesting wine, not sure that it's in my wheelhouse though.

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1136 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » April 15th, 2020, 4:15 pm

• 2012 Lamiable Champagne Cuvée Héliades Brut Millésime - France, Champagne (4/15/2020)
    Received this in a shipment from Envoyer with other Champagnes I wanted to try. Honestly I have no recollection of ordering it specifically other than to perhaps fill the case.

12.5% alcohol. Blend of 80% chardonnay and 20% pinot noir, from vines reportedly planted in 1953 by Pierre Lamiable in chalk and limestone soils. The wine is fermented in steel tanks and aged on the lees for 36 months.

Poured in a Grassl Mineralite glass. The wine has light golden color and fine bubbles, with a generous mousse that dissipates quickly. Slightly bruised and peeled red apple slices, taking me back to baking apple pie during the holidays. Lemon peel, honey, yellow flowers, and a touch a ginger. Underlying all this is a core of chalky minerality. There is a little tension, less than I've seen with a couple other 2012 bottlings so far, but also a nice creamy mouthfeel and concentration of flavors on the palate. Adequate acidity to provide the wine some lift. Medium finish. There's definitely potential in this Champagne with some additional cellar age, will let my other bottle rest 5-10 years. (92 pts.)

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1137 Post by Frank Murray III » April 15th, 2020, 4:25 pm

Dude, that Hillside Select OWC, at the rate you are going, will turn into a 6 pack Champagne box before long. [dance-clap.gif]
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

mancini

#1138 Post by mancini » April 16th, 2020, 1:50 am

Once, I had Duval-Leroy champagne at my friend's home. Love it
P a t r i z i a

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#1139 Post by Merrill Lindquist » April 16th, 2020, 6:32 am

A delicious Pierre Peters.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Steve Nordhoff
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#1140 Post by Steve Nordhoff » April 17th, 2020, 9:08 am

Cedric Bouchard 2004 La Parcelle (called Cote de Bechalin now). All Pinot, single vineyard, this was disgorged in 2011, around 7 years on the lees and 9 in the bottle. No dosage. Beautiful light gold. Wiffs of minerality and apple skin to start. Lower pressure, the bubbles are in the background. The low yields show here, with fantastic concentration. An orchard of complex fruit on the palate, perfectly ripe, long finish. Like Meursault, without the oak. Very tasty, the bottle was drained in 30 minutes.
ITB -Riverain Vineyards

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1141 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » April 18th, 2020, 4:10 pm

• NV Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut Nature - France, Champagne (4/18/2020)
    My first Laherte Freres bottle was the 2015 Blanc de Blancs Extra Brut Les Grand Crayeres, which while young was fabulous. Guess I’m working backwards. This wine has fine beads and a generous creamy mousse, with light yellow color and a greenish tinge. Crisp green apple, honeydew melon, Meyer lemon, and some slate minerality. Just a touch of brioche on the front end. The wine is expansive on the palate, with generous fruit notes as before and tangy acidity. Lovely bottle, and can’t wait to try some of the other Laherte Freres wines. (92 pts.)

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1142 Post by Warren Taranow » April 18th, 2020, 9:19 pm

Today, for the first time since COVID came to town, we had friends over. Outdoors, alcohol gel, keeping our distance. As has been my modus operandi, I opened the good bottles. This time grandes marques rather than growers. Another beautiful 2006 Taittinger Comte BdB. This one had the luscious citrus glycerine mouthfeel, but also more acid than I recalled. That didn’t last long with four of us, so a half bottle of Krug 168 followed. This had a nice nutty oxidative note, and a ridiculously long savory finish. We had smoked duck breast, D’Artagnan foie gras mousse, aged Comte, Fromager d'Affinois and macadamia nuts. It almost felt like we were back in the pre-apocalyptic days! It did make me realize that socially distancing with more than one couple will be nearly impossible.

Cheers
Warren
Attachments
D21E82B6-46C0-4619-872F-B846F07788AB.jpeg
8DD03860-3E49-42C6-846C-578942FD12FC.jpeg
185A87BB-41D3-462D-80CC-55BC26A848C5.jpeg
Last edited by Warren Taranow on April 19th, 2020, 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

CT - WST

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1143 Post by Mike Evans » April 19th, 2020, 6:47 am

NV Camille Savès Champagne Grand Cru Brut Rosé Bouzy - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (4/17/2020)
Strawberry and a little watermelon, nice weight through the middle with a refreshingly tart finish, very good with salmon and bluefin nigiri. (91 pts.)

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1144 Post by Frank Murray III » April 19th, 2020, 4:53 pm

• 2014 Marguet Champagne Les Saints Remys - France, Champagne (4/18/2020)
    A couple months back I opened my first one of these and I thought it was on the narrow side, meaning the breadth was absent. I decided to open another one, to see if my experience would change. Same disgorgement as the previous bottle--February 2019. I also plan to track this bottle over at least 2 days, probably 3 total, to give me a better evolution of the wine with air. So, for night 1, I opened this about 30m mins ago and poured a taste. The temp was a bit warmer than I usually like but I thought a little warmer could put a different lens to see the wine, at closer to 67f, then say 60f. I gotta say the breadth on this pour is really good, nothing like the February bottle. There is depth to the palate, and some flesh to the fruit, which tastes great. It's kind of a savory, meets a flesh of apple, meets berry. Nothing here seems especially dialed up or dominant, just kind of all working together but let's have some air.....Day 2 of the wine finds the wine's energy, it emanates from a core of citrusy acidity. It's got a pounded rock aroma, steely. Yellow and green apple, tangy plum and cherry, orange and the savory, salinity of the finish. This is chocked with structure and energy, a bottle to trace over many years as the wine softens up, although I love the intensity now and it tastes terrific.
20200418_165830.jpg
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

Steve Nordhoff
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#1145 Post by Steve Nordhoff » April 22nd, 2020, 9:07 am

Pehu-Simonet Champagne Face Nord Millesime 2008-50% Verzenay PN in wood, 50% Mesnil and Verzenay CH done in steel. Disgorged in 2017 I believe. I did not know the sources and blend when i opened this and would have edged toward Mesnil. Brisk, enegetic lemony palate and nose, lots of acid and backbone, must be very low dosage. Very well balanced and quite long, it got better with air. Very nice and outshined a....

2008 Veuve Fourny & Fils Champagne Premier Cru Brut Blanc de Blancs Millésime-All CH, all Vertus, 4g/l dosage-Flowers and pears on the nose, green apple on the palate. Also got better with air, but did not have the energy or length of the PS above.
ITB -Riverain Vineyards

Bruce Rudman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1146 Post by Bruce Rudman » April 22nd, 2020, 8:56 pm

On our anniversary last week, I opened a Krug 163eme which drank very nicely, and a Billecart-Salmon Rose which paired very well with our dinner. No notes, but both made for a nice evening.
Bruce

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1147 Post by Warren Taranow » April 22nd, 2020, 9:20 pm

Bruce Rudman wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 8:56 pm
On our anniversary last week, I opened a Krug 163eme which drank very nicely, and a Billecart-Salmon Rose which paired very well with our dinner. No notes, but both made for a nice evening.
Sounds great, Happy Anniversary Bruce.

CT - WST

Bruce Rudman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1148 Post by Bruce Rudman » April 23rd, 2020, 4:56 am

Thank you Warren.
Bruce

Yao C

#1149 Post by Yao C » April 24th, 2020, 8:06 pm

2012 Dhondt-Grellet Blanc de Blancs 'Les Nogers'
Extra brut; 55 year-old vines. Light lemon curd, very BdB. Deepens and shows a touch of orchard fruit with air. On the lighter side though there is a certain sneaky length to it that promises it will fill out with age. Good ripeness to balance with the low dosage. Good minus with upside
C h 0 o n 6

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1150 Post by Warren Taranow » April 24th, 2020, 8:07 pm

Which champagne am I not drinking? This corked 2009 Cristal [cry.gif]
Attachments
47889AAE-34D0-476F-8B18-BDE84CFE6DC4.jpeg
Last edited by Warren Taranow on April 25th, 2020, 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

CT - WST

Return to “Wine Talk”